FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

You guys are basically debating which Denny's has the cleanest bathroom. Their OL is dreadful, and both RBs played that way too.

Some of us, ARE that desperate.

You guys are basically debating which Denny's has the cleanest bathroom. Their OL is dreadful, and both RBs played that way too.

Some of us, ARE that desperate.

Cardinals should trade for Kevin Smith. Although he would still probably have marginal value, the Cardinals got the worst run blocking line in the league right now.

• Like 1

Powell had a great kick return and was on the field during passing downs. However, I don't think we learned much about his ability in the limited touches.

The over analysis here is exhausting for a 2 carry game.

• Like 1

Powell had a great kick return and was on the field during passing downs. However, I don't think we learned much about his ability in the limited touches.

22 pages, so some ridiculous claims were thrown out which I think has projected people to come into over analysis mode. However, its always good to have your eye on everyone and have the situation well covered in case of an injury or such. With that said when Lerod Stephens Howling is back, I presume he will be in on 3rd downs, no? Leaving Powell as strictly the 1st and 2nd down back up to Williams?

Compared to the over analysis when he had no carries last week? I think most get it on here. He a flier, on a team with a horrid OL. Deep leaguers should absolutely take note but for most owners, he's simply a POI. What happened in this thread, unfortunately like a few of the sleeper threads, is we get a few cheerleaders who try and prove how smart they are. Just bringing this guy to the attention to the community should be appreciated but making unfounded comparisons and going back and forth for almost 20 pages on someone like this is beyond silly, and that was before he actually played a NFL game.

Keep an eye on him and get ready to pounce if something of note in the circumstances change. Sleepers are great (I once rode a guy named Nick Goings to a championship), but most of them don't pan out and folks should understand the percentages of failure vs success......Just keep an eye on him, that's all. If you're in a 14+ league with big rosters then he may be a guy at the end of your bench.....

• Like 3

i think it's safe to say NONE of the cards RBs will break out this year.....their offense is just average......once they upgrade their O-line and QB, then start talking.

Edited by Pooskay

Plus, you gotta love the fact that the pace of analysis has picked up after his 2 carry game.

I think it's partly because FoulLine, Robrain, and a few others have planted a flag in the ground in declaring either that Powell will be the pickup of the year or that it's reasonable to compare him to some of the all time great undrafted players like Arian Foster. I'm not sure if that was their original view, or if after vigorous debate they decided to stake their reputation on Powell instead of backing down from any of their initial statements.

Either way, I agree that we can't conclude anything yet. I personally am skeptical that Powell will ever come anything close to Arian Foster, and I do not believe he will be pickup of the year, but I can't conclude based on yesterday's 2 carry opportunity that it's completely impossible.

In other words, there is hope yet for FoulLine, Robrain, and the other Wi-Po fans!

• Like 1

Plus, you gotta love the fact that the pace of analysis has picked up after his 2 carry game.

I think it's partly because FoulLine, Robrain, and a few others have planted a flag in the ground in declaring either that Powell will be the pickup of the year or that it's reasonable to compare him to some of the all time great undrafted players like Arian Foster. I'm not sure if that was their original view, or if after vigorous debate they decided to stake their reputation on Powell instead of backing down from any of their initial statements.

Either way, I agree that we can't conclude anything yet. I personally am skeptical that Powell will ever come anything close to Arian Foster, and I do not believe he will be pickup of the year, but I can't conclude based on yesterday's 2 carry opportunity that it's completely impossible.

In other words, there is hope yet for FoulLine, Robrain, and the other Wi-Po fans!

Yes I am high on Powell's upside and said his situation is much like Arian Foster's. But let's get over the fact that I am claiming he WILL be Arian Foster. There's a big difference I never said jump out of your shoes and go and draft the guy. I said he's worth monitoring and has insane upside.

Go and read the first page of this thread.

The comparison to Foster was more to be taken as look at how high another undrafted RB who lead the league in rushing increased his value one year to the next. Which honestly I think Powell will have a much higher increase in value since he was undrafted and unrostered in almost all leagues 4 weeks into the season.

Now don't get that confused and think I'm saying he will be the first overall pick next year. There's a big difference. That is where you "hate hypes" have gone wrong.

Like I could argue semantics and say well bsong just compared Arian Foster to the all-time greats. But I won't... Or I guess I kind of just did. But do you see what I mean?

I get what you're saying and appreciate your post. As I understand you are trying to bring my predictions back down to Earth. Sure they might be a bit carried away but who did I drop for William Powell? Tashard Choice? It's not as if I don't understand where he's valued now. I am just looking forward to where I believe he will be valued.

Yes I am very high on his upside. Powell is still easily my pick for pick up of the year. I've already caught a ton of static for making that prediction and am sure I'll continue to catch more. But at the same time let's hear yours. Who is your pick up of the year?

The biggest boost for Powell isn't his performance, but that Williams did nothing to wow the coaches and get more carries. That helps incredibly for him going forward into the next game.

Hopefully Powell can get 7-9 touches next week and do something with it.

Powell went for 2 carries for 2 yards he did nothing to inspire getting more touches. If anything it probably makes Arizona go to the trade market and look for a proven veteran compliment to back up Ryan Williams.

There is next to a 0 percent chance that The Cardinals trade for a RB before giving Powell full time carries. Wells will be back in 5 - 6 weeks and they have 3 other RBs right now. One of which you guys claim to have this great pedigree in Ryan Williams.

Like I said a few pages back things will be entirely different against Buffalo.

Buffalo is bad at stopping the run. They are 27th in the league at yards given up per carry at 4.9 yards a carry.

Plus Arizona will realize that how quick they were to abandon the run is what almost cost them the game. Despite Miami turning the ball over two more times than Arizona Miami still won the time of possession as well as averaged way more yards per play with a more balanced attack. The game was never that far out of hand to where you were in the desperate position of having to abandon then run. The biggest lead was 13 points which was at half time.

I think it's more the distractors than the cheerleaders.

//www.sport24.com/evenements/diaporamas/les-cheerleaders-des-cardinals-de-l-arizona/arizona-cardinals-cheerleaders-red2

Curious FouLLine, are you still of the opinion that he has more upside than any of the RB's on that list before? You previously stated just that. You would have, and would be, dropping any of these guys for Powell right now? (Battle obviously has changed drastically since a week ago, but the rest are the same thing. You can add any other clear cut backup RB to the list too, I think its valid to say Powell at this moment is indeed the next guy to Williams)

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle (circumstances obviously have changed here)

Edit- a couple more you could add here are Robert Turbin, Shaun Draughn, Ronnie Hillman

For most people that's really what it comes down to when discussing a guy like Powell. There is not unlimited roster space, so you have to decide which guys you are going to hold as a lottery ticket on your bench. So to do that, you weigh path to opportunity injury history of guy in front of him, and how good you think the guy would be if he were to secure a role. I rank Powell dead last among pretty much all backup RB by this criteria primarily because I think the ARI running game is likely to struggle all year. And despite the talk of his dominant college career in which he toted the rock 20 times and his preseason, there's a strong possibility that he is the worst player among those guys, though obviously nobody really knows until we see them get a shot. But for all the bashing people do for NFL talent evaluators and where they draft guys, they hit on a lot more than they miss. Guys who are undrafted and who didn't play in college flame out 98% of the time, but nobody cares or notices because that is what they are expected to do.

Edited by Wombat

Curious FouLLine, are you still of the opinion that he has more upside than any of the RB's on that list before? You previously stated just that. You would have, and would be, dropping any of these guys for Powell right now? (Battle obviously has changed drastically since a week ago, but the rest are the same thing. You can add any other clear cut backup RB to the list too)

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

For most people that's really what it comes down to when discussing a guy like Powell. There is not unlimited roster space, so you have to decide which guys you are going to hold as a lottery ticket on your bench. So to do that, you weigh path to opportunity injury history of guy in front of him, and how good you think the guy would be if he were to secure a role. I rank Powell dead last among pretty much all backup RB by this criteria primarily because I think the ARI running game is likely to struggle all year. And despite the talk of his dominant college career in which he toted the rock 20 times and his preseason, there's a strong possibility that he is the worst player among those guys, though obviously nobody really knows until we see them get a shot. But for all the bashing people do for NFL talent evaluators and where they draft guys, they hit on a lot more than they miss. Guys who are undrafted and who didn't play in college flame out 98% of the time, but nobody cares or notices because that is what they are expected to do.

One thing this thread continues to do is make me appreciate my dynasty league and fellow league mates. The only guy on that list above who's available there is Bell. Powell is also still out there on the FA list. The rest have been LONG gone.

I think part of the divisiveness in here is based on people's perspectives based on what leagues they're in. If you're in a league that doesn't have a need to roster most of the guys on the above list, then yeah you'd probably be silly to consider Powell. But in a deeper league (esp. a dynasty) Powell is exactly the kind of player who, if you jump on him early enough and he hits, could be a key cog on a contending team for years to come. If he misses, you move on to the next. But there's potential opportunity here for a guy who has weak competition ahead of him and who has flashed some talent, and that's absolutely worth paying attention to in my league.

• Like 1

Yes I am high on Powell's upside and said his situation is much like Arian Foster's. But let's get over the fact that I am claiming he WILL be Arian Foster. There's a big difference I never said jump out of your shoes and go and draft the guy. I said he's worth monitoring and has insane upside.

The comparison to Foster was more to be taken as look at how high another undrafted RB who lead the league in rushing increased his value one year to the next. Which honestly I think Powell will have a much higher increase in value since he was undrafted and unrostered in almost all leagues 4 weeks into the season.

Now don't get that confused and think I'm saying he will be the first overall pick next year. There's a big difference. That is where you "hate hypes" have gone wrong.

Like I could argue semantics and say well bsong just compared Arian Foster to the all-time greats. But I won't... Or I guess I kind of just did. But do you see what I mean?

I get what you're saying and appreciate your post. As I understand you are trying to bring my predictions back down to Earth. Sure they might be a bit carried away but who did I drop for William Powell? Tashard Choice? It's not as if I don't understand where he's valued now. I am just looking forward to where I believe he will be valued.

Yes I am very high on his upside. Powell is still easily my pick for pick up of the year. I've already caught a ton of static for making that prediction and am sure I'll continue to catch more. But at the same time let's hear yours. Who is your pick up of the year?

To be honest, I don't think that anyone stands out to me as obvious pickup of the year. I guess if I were forced to make a pick, I'd say Lamar Miller. I don't really think there's anyone out there who will be anywhere close to Arian Foster, partly because Arian Foster was a very special situation where a supremely talented back was overlooked because of injuries and questions about his bizarrely philosophical mindset.

I'm assuming that Kendall Hunter, Bilal Powell, and Daryl Richardson don't count. Off the top of my head, I believe all three of those should be picked up ahead of William Powell. But they're too obvious.

Lamar Miller is in my know-nothing opinion the most gifted 3rd string RB in the NFL right now, so I'll go with him.

By the way, I never said that ANYONE said that Powell will be the first overall pick next year. I simply said that he won't come anywhere close to Arian Foster this year, and that at least one or two people said he would be THE pickup of the year.

My main issue with buying into the idea of him being pickup of the year is that he has an absolutely terrible offensive line. So even IF (1) he's the best backup in the NFL, AND (2) he actually gets the opportunity due to Ryan Williams getting knocked out with injuries, he still has a really bad offensive line to deal with. Those are two very speculative hurdles to overcome. It's possible that the entire NFL has overlooked his insane upside, but even so, those are two very speculative hurdles to overcome. I don't get excited by talent alone. I can't help but take into account other factors like offensive line, QB play, etc.

Arian Foster and Andre Brown benefit from having good offensive lines. People constantly under appreciate that. It's why Ben Tate can step right in and replicate Arian Foster's numbers, and why a journeyman like Andre Brown can have huge production.

Jones-Drew is not a "worse" RB than Andre Brown, but he's got a worse line and a worse QB making things tougher for him. That's BIG part about why I'm skeptical of Powell's ability to be either pickup of the year or the next Arian Foster.

Edited by bsong71

Curious FouLLine, are you still of the opinion that he has more upside than any of the RB's on that list before? You previously stated just that. You would have, and would be, dropping any of these guys for Powell right now? (Battle obviously has changed drastically since a week ago, but the rest are the same thing. You can add any other clear cut backup RB to the list too)

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

One thing this thread continues to do is make me appreciate my dynasty league and fellow league mates. The only guy on that list above who's available there is Bell. Powell is also still out there on the FA list. The rest have been LONG gone.

I think part of the divisiveness in here is based on people's perspectives based on what leagues they're in. If you're in a league that doesn't have a need to roster most of the guys on the above list, then yeah you'd probably be silly to consider Powell. But in a deeper league (esp. a dynasty) Powell is exactly the kind of player who, if you jump on him early enough and he hits, could be a key cog on a contending team for years to come. If he misses, you move on to the next. But there's potential opportunity here for a guy who has weak competition ahead of him and who has flashed some talent, and that's absolutely worth paying attention to in my league.

What's clear in a big election year is this: based on the hours devoted to fantasy football versus other endeavors, the future greatness of American lies not it its people's ability to create the next iPhone or find the next alternative to fossil fuels, but in the ability of its next generation to find a waiver wire pickup that will be the following year's top 3 fantasy pick. Either that, or this stuff really is more addictive than crack! :)

Wi-Po for president!

Edited by bsong71

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Your missing the point and making my point for me at the same time- (they are owned in the league I am in as well other than Battle and Turbin, Battle obiviosuly will be FAAB'ed this week) the point is in order to grab Powell, these are the guys that people in this thread likely own and would have to drop in order to add Powell at least if your doing a straight position for position comparison. It's a zero sum game, you can't own everyone. If you want to grab Powell you are going to have to drop someone, and you aren't going to be able to roster unlimited backup RB's.

12 team leagues those guys are likely among your bottom two guys on your roster, 14 and deeper maybe even longer shot RB's such as say David Wilson, Evan Royster etc. are owned than Powell is probably worth a shot over them. But lets not forget the majority of people play 12 team leagues and then some 14. All more power to those in their 32 team 60 man roster dynasty league, your under 1% of the total fantasy players so your perspective doesn't apply to the majority on these threads.

Also- the talk earlier in this thread by the guy I was asking was that Powell would be a top 8 RB ROS if he got the job. That's a quote. So if that's what you think he is (obviously I would disagree), then your going to want to roster him in even a 10 team league. You can't say now oh yeah I was only talking about owning him in dynasty and deep leagues (not that you are saying that) after hyping him to the point of proclaiming him a potential top 8 RB

Edited by Wombat

The Cardinals gave up on the run game far too early. They only had 15 rushes to 48 pass attempts. I think The Cardinals coaching staff will realize this when they review the tape.

After All the sacks and interceptions they barely squeeked by Miami at home.

Going up against the Saint Louis Rams (25th vs the run) next week I am sure they will commit a lot more to the run. Seeing how ineffective Ryan Williams was I'd think that would warrant more carries for Powell.

Here is the point everyone is missing and trying ignore, especially you with your Rose Colored Powell glasses on. Arizona's offensive line sucks. Arizona's offensive line is putrid. Arizona's offensive line is arguably the worst collection of losers in the NFL trying to run block. You can try to spin it any which way you want but Arizona abandoned the run today because there offensive line was getting overwhelmed on every run attempt. If a runner is behind a putrid offensive line his chances of succeeding are extremely low. So lets recap:

Back up RB, with regular 3rd down back out got 2 carries for 2 yards. 2 catches for 6 yards. When regular 3rd down back is back those 2 catches for 6 yards probably do not happen.

So now we need an injury to the regular running back, just so the said back up can begin to get more touches behind putrid offensive line. How in the world is this a positive outlook for anyone to invest in? Someone explain that to me please. This beginning to bother me. This thread has gone on for 20 pages and all I have seen is stupid BS like "this guy has HEART, he wants this SO BAD, he is going to try so much harder because he has never had a shot in his life", I don't give 2 craps about that and neither should anyone else. Any player trying to make a career in the NFL who hasn't got a shot is going to have heart and desire, like Ryan Williams, the starter.

i agree the offensive line is garbage. but this guy has skills and he has a legit opportunity to take over as lead back. ryan williams has anything but secured the job and is an injury waiting to happen. also this team is 4-0 so most games they have the lead most games and more opportunities to run. but the offensive is definitely a major concern. still he is a decent flier with RBs so thin

Arizona has won 3 of their 4 games by a combined 9 points, two of which were essentially on the last drive, and another because of a failed 2-Pt conversion, lets not act like they are running away with games here...

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Your missing the point and making my point for me at the same time- (they are owned in the league I am in as well other than Battle and Turbin, Battle obiviosuly will be FAAB'ed this week) the point is in order to grab Powell, these are the guys that people in this thread likely own and would have to drop in order to add Powell at least if your doing a straight position for position comparison. It's a zero sum game, you can't own everyone. If you want to grab Powell you are going to have to drop someone, and you aren't going to be able to roster unlimited backup RB's.

12 team leagues those guys are likely among your bottom two guys on your roster, 14 and deeper maybe even longer shot RB's such as say David Wilson, Evan Royster etc. are owned than Powell is probably worth a shot over them. But lets not forget the majority of people play 12 team leagues and then some 14. All more power to those in their 32 team 60 man roster dynasty league, your under 1% of the total fantasy players so your perspective doesn't apply to the majority on these threads.

My league's a 12-team (not 32), 24-man (not 60) roster league, and believe me the waiver wire is still pretty thin and there are rostered players who are potentially droppable if you think a guy could be the next best thing. Wilson and Royster are both rostered, as are Dwyer, Choice, Helu, McKnight, Turbin, Pierce, R. Jennings, Rainey, Pead, Hillman, A. Green, and Ballard. But it's a dynasty so I understand that also changes perspectives a bit.

For the record, I don't see him as a future stud by any means, but think he has some talent and am interested in his potential for carries in the next few weeks, crappy o-line nothwithstanding. I just don't know why people get SO bothered by someone hyping Powell that they seem to take it personally. If you don't think anything else needs to be said about him and you have absolutely no interest in the guy, why continue to visit a thread with his name in the title? Let the rest of us prattle on in our own blissful ignorance, unencumbered by your incessant practicality. :P

The Cardinals gave up on the run game far too early. They only had 15 rushes to 48 pass attempts. I think The Cardinals coaching staff will realize this when they review the tape.

Going up against the Saint Louis Rams (25th vs the run) next week I am sure they will commit a lot more to the run. Seeing how ineffective Ryan Williams was I'd think that would warrant more carries for Powell.

Here is the point everyone is missing and trying ignore, especially you with your Rose Colored Powell glasses on. Arizona's offensive line sucks. Arizona's offensive line is putrid. Arizona's offensive line is arguably the worst collection of losers in the NFL trying to run block. You can try to spin it any which way you want but Arizona abandoned the run today because there offensive line was getting overwhelmed on every run attempt. If a runner is behind a putrid offensive line his chances of succeeding are extremely low. So lets recap:

Back up RB, with regular 3rd down back out got 2 carries for 2 yards. 2 catches for 6 yards. When regular 3rd down back is back those 2 catches for 6 yards probably do not happen.

So now we need an injury to the regular running back, just so the said back up can begin to get more touches behind putrid offensive line. How in the world is this a positive outlook for anyone to invest in? Someone explain that to me please. This beginning to bother me. This thread has gone on for 20 pages and all I have seen is stupid BS like "this guy has HEART, he wants this SO BAD, he is going to try so much harder because he has never had a shot in his life", I don't give 2 craps about that and neither should anyone else. Any player trying to make a career in the NFL who hasn't got a shot is going to have heart and desire, like Ryan Williams, the starter.

i agree the offensive line is garbage. but this guy has skills and he has a legit opportunity to take over as lead back. ryan williams has anything but secured the job and is an injury waiting to happen. also this team is 4-0 so most games they have the lead most games and more opportunities to run. but the offensive is definitely a major concern. still he is a decent flier with RBs so thin

Arizona has won 3 of their 4 games by a combined 9 points, two of which were essentially on the last drive, and another because of a failed 2-Pt conversion, lets not act like they are running away with games here...

your right we cant count on a 4-0 team to be ahead late during games since some of there games were close. we should also count on them to run pass plays nearly 80% of the time like they did on sunday

your right we cant count on a 4-0 team to be ahead late during games since some of there games were close. we should also count on them to run pass plays nearly 80% of the time like they did on sunday

I'm not claiming that they are going to pass 80% of the time, but using the fact that they are 4-0 to support their run game is stupid considering most of their wins have come in the 4th quarter or OT with them having to pass to catch up and win, rather than run and milk the clock while they have a lead.

I'm not claiming that they are going to pass 80% of the time, but using the fact that they are 4-0 to support their run game is stupid considering most of their wins have come in the 4th quarter or OT with them having to pass to catch up and win, rather than run and milk the clock while they have a lead.

i disagree. this team blew out the eagles beat the pats @foxborough and have one of the best d's in the league. considering their next 3 games (@stl, vs buf, @min) i think their success will continue and they should get more opportunities to run and we should get a chance to see enough of powell to make a fair assessment. that is all i was saying. i dont wanna spam this thread anymore than it has been already so ill end it at that

• Like 1

Curious FouLLine, are you still of the opinion that he has more upside than any of the RB's on that list before? You previously stated just that. You would have, and would be, dropping any of these guys for Powell right now? (Battle obviously has changed drastically since a week ago, but the rest are the same thing. You can add any other clear cut backup RB to the list too, I think its valid to say Powell at this moment is indeed the next guy to Williams)

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Edit- a couple more you could add here are Robert Turbin, Shaun Draughn, Ronnie Hillman

Yes I still think he has more upside than all of those RBs.

Don't get upside confused with floor, value, current production. Currently he isn't producing what they are. But I feel he has a chance to be something special.

I didn't have to drop anyone of that high value to pick him up so I am not in that predicament. Would I have? Possibly... It's hard to say. But honestly it's little chance that list is where your #1 drop lies. I have looked at every team in all 3 of my leagues two 12 team leagues and one 10 team league everyone has a worse player than anyone on that list.

Unless they were rostering 2 QBs or 2 DSTs. Then if they didn't want to drop their back up QB and/or DST then a couple teams Turbin and Goodsend would have become there first drop.

Yes Ryan Williams still is the starter but I honestly think that it will change after Buffalo.

i disagree. this team blew out the eagles beat the pats @foxborough and have one of the best d's in the league. considering their next 3 games (@stl, vs buf, @min) i think their success will continue and they should get more opportunities to run and we should get a chance to see enough of powell to make a fair assessment. that is all i was saying. i dont wanna spam this thread anymore than it has been already so ill end it at that

Yes a lot of their games have been come backs that relied on the pass in the 4th quarter.

But honestly when your team's passing numbers are completion percentage 56.3%, 3 TDs to 4 INTs, and your QB has been sacked 16 times in 4 games you are passing too much.

They ran 48 pass plays to 15 run plays vs Miami. That is passing the ball 76.2% of the time. It makes it easier for teams to defend you when they know you've given up on the run. I don't remember seeing a single run in the 4th quarter against Miami.

But hey, what do I know they won the game (didn't cover the 5 point spread though).