FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

i disagree. this team blew out the eagles beat the pats @foxborough and have one of the best d's in the league. considering their next 3 games (@stl, vs buf, @min) i think their success will continue and they should get more opportunities to run and we should get a chance to see enough of powell to make a fair assessment. that is all i was saying. i dont wanna spam this thread anymore than it has been already so ill end it at that

Yes a lot of their games have been come backs that relied on the pass in the 4th quarter.

But honestly when your team's passing numbers are completion percentage 56.3%, 3 TDs to 4 INTs, and your QB has been sacked 16 times in 4 games you are passing too much.

They ran 48 pass plays to 15 run plays vs Miami. That is passing the ball 76.2% of the time. It makes it easier for teams to defend you when they know you've given up on the run. I don't remember seeing a single run in the 4th quarter against Miami.

But hey, what do I know they won the game (didn't cover the 5 point spread though).

They threw because they can't run block. Did you watch that offensive line get blown up on every running play? I did. There line sucks, it was said on page 1, it was said on page 23 now. Look at Chris Johnson he is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to any Cardinal RB, but even he cannot run because he doesn't have any holes to run through because there offensive line is such garbage. Look at Marshawn Lynch, the hardest, toughest runner in the NFL. The Seahawks had the most brutal line in the NFL through 6 weeks last season learning Tom Cable's zone blocking scheme and fitting guys in the right spots, through 6 weeks the guy averaged 3.4 YPC. If the defense is controlling the line of scrimmage and winning the push at the line then it is will be damn near impossible for a RB in the NFL to maintain a decent rushing average. And that is point here, William Powell could be jesus christ for all we know, he could walk on water. But if he doesn't have a line to block for him he won't have any success. And that is basically the situation we are in with the Arizona running game right now. There line blows, so we have to temper our expectations with everyone involved in that running game until we see some progress made by the big uglies upfront.

Edited by Cmilne23

i hate this thread

Looks of letters and words...Can't make them all out...I feel like puking over two carries...It's all hate...This is bad...To have so much to say...That means so little...

Yes Ryan Williams still is the starter but I honestly think that it will change after Buffalo.

You mean St. Louis?

Yes Ryan Williams still is the starter but I honestly think that it will change after Buffalo.

You mean St. Louis?

Yeah meant St, Louis, sorry. Not sure why I had Buffalo on my mind.

Reading through all of this I can certainly understand being optimistic about a player's potential but the tea leaf reading in here is a little absurd. For example portraying the last game as a positive step towards Powell taking over the lead role. 2 carries for 2 yards. A fumble on a kickoff return. When one of the biggest knocks on Williams is his fumbles in the first two weeks you have to think that ball security is very important for a potential replacement.

They threw because they can't run block. Did you watch that offensive line get blown up on every running play? I did. There line sucks, it was said on page 1, it was said on page 23 now. Look at Chris Johnson he is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to any Cardinal RB, but even he cannot run because he doesn't have any holes to run through because there offensive line is such garbage. Look at Marshawn Lynch, the hardest, toughest runner in the NFL. The Seahawks had the most brutal line in the NFL through 6 weeks last season learning Tom Cable's zone blocking scheme and fitting guys in the right spots, through 6 weeks the guy averaged 3.4 YPC. If the defense is controlling the line of scrimmage and winning the push at the line then it is will be damn near impossible for a RB in the NFL to maintain a decent rushing average. And that is point here, William Powell could be jesus christ for all we know, he could walk on water. But if he doesn't have a line to block for him he won't have any success. And that is basically the situation we are in with the Arizona running game right now. There line blows, so we have to temper our expectations with everyone involved in that running game until we see some progress made by the big uglies upfront.

I did watch the game and their line did not get blown up every time. The ARZ line got knocked back on pass blocking a lot though. First off they only rushed 15 of their 63 plays, so you wouldn't have a fair sample size to analyse anyway. Secondly I remember the first run of the game was up the middle for a 5 - 6 yard gain and then the next run after that was for a decent amount of yardage as well. I couldn't believe at how quickly they got off the run, like Kolb is some amazing QB.

Okay now that I'm looking at it Ryan Williams was tackled for a loss once in regulation and once in OT. They were getting positive yards, they just didn't give it enough of a chance to break any big plays off. Which is what running the ball is all about. Why do you think you hear coaches say we have to be patient and stick with the run? That's what they mean, take your 2 - 4 yards get 3rd and manageable and then every now and then a few times a game break a run off for 25 plus yards.

I have to point out again. Arizona has had the hardest schedule in the NFL vs the rush so far this season.

Miami (1st vs the rush 56.8 yards/game, 1st 2.4 yards a carry against)

Seattle (2nd vs the rush 62.8 yards/game, 2nd 3.0 yards a carry against)

New England (7th vs the rush 83.5 yards/game, 7th 3.4 yards a carry against)

Philly (12th vs rush the 91.5 yards/game, 11th 3.8 yards a carry against)

That's a total of 3.14 yards a carry against and an average of 74.1 yards against for their opponents.

Arizona is averaging 2.7 yards a carry and 68.1 yards per game. So not far off of what should have been expected.

Now in terms of passing.

Miami and Seattle have 12 sacks through 4 games and Philly and New England have 7 sacks through 4 games.

So Arizona opponents totaled 38 sacks through 16 games for an average of 2.38 sacks per game. Arizona has surrendered an average of 3.5 sacks per game so that is substantially worse than expected.

This is especially made more obvious when Miami had 4 sacks in 3 games going into the Arizona game where they sacked Kolb 8 times!! Miami had twice as many sacks in the Arizona game as they did all season!! This was strictly because Arizona just stopped running the ball entirely.

vs SEA: Rushed the ball 35.7% of the time allowed 1 sack.

vs NE: Rushed the ball 55.0% of the time allowed 1 sack.

vs PHI: Rushed the ball 58.6% of the time allowed 3 sacks.

vs MIA: Rushed the ball 23.8% of the time allowed 8 sacks.

So the stats of based off of The Cardinals opponents to me say they are actually might be better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Arizona rushed the ball 4 times in the 3rd and 4th quarters combined and then 5 times in OT. They only had 10 rushes in regulation. That is not good. You need to have a balanced attack (or an MVP worthy QB) if you want to move the ball with any type of consistency. Even if the run is getting shut down it wears down defensive linemen and keeps them honest. When they can go all out pass rush every time you are just making them that much better.

I have to point out again. Arizona has had the hardest schedule in the NFL vs the rush so far this season.

Miami (1st vs the rush 56.8 yards/game, 1st 2.4 yards a carry against)

Seattle (2nd vs the rush 62.8 yards/game, 2nd 3.0 yards a carry against)

New England (7th vs the rush 83.5 yards/game, 7th 3.4 yards a carry against)

Philly (12th vs rush the 91.5 yards/game, 11th 3.8 yards a carry against)

That's a total of 3.14 yards a carry against and an average of 74.1 yards against for their opponents.

Arizona is averaging 2.7 yards a carry and 68.1 yards per game. So not far off of what should have been expected.

Now in terms of passing.

Miami and Seattle have 12 sacks through 4 games and Philly and New England have 7 sacks through 4 games.

So Arizona opponents totaled 38 sacks through 16 games for an average of 2.38 sacks per game. Arizona has surrendered an average of 3.5 sacks per game so that is substantially worse than expected.

This is especially made more obvious when Miami had 4 sacks in 3 games going into the Arizona game where they sacked Kolb 8 times!! Miami had twice as many sacks in the Arizona game as they did all season!! This was strictly because Arizona just stopped running the ball entirely.

vs SEA: Rushed the ball 35.7% of the time allowed 1 sack.

vs NE: Rushed the ball 55.0% of the time allowed 1 sack.

vs PHI: Rushed the ball 58.6% of the time allowed 3 sacks.

vs MIA: Rushed the ball 23.8% of the time allowed 8 sacks.

So the stats of based off of The Cardinals opponents to me say they are actually might be better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Arizona rushed the ball 4 times in the 3rd and 4th quarters combined and then 5 times in OT. They only had 10 rushes in regulation. That is not good. You need to have a balanced attack (or an MVP worthy QB) if you want to move the ball with any type of consistency. Even if the run is getting shut down it wears down defensive linemen and keeps them honest. When they can go all out pass rush every time you are just making them that much better.

This is very well articulated. It's also exactly why I think it's highly unlikely that Wi-Po can be pickup of the year. Even IF he gets the opportunity, everything you just said will continue to limit his production. We can't be sure that Ken Whisenhut will end up being as smart about football as fantasy footballers like you and me, so we could be stuck with more of the same terrible game strategy (and the same o-line).

Edited by bsong71

i hate this thread

I love this thread. Is Wi-Po the most underrated RB in the history of fantasy football? Or is he a preseason darling whose success against 3rd stringers can't translate to success against first-teamers in real games? Are the Cardinals just plain stupid not to realize that he's been better than Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams all along?

It would be the feel good story of the decade, especially since he sounds like a good guy with a lot of heart. I am thinking of that movie and want to replace the chants for Rudy with: "Wi-PO, Wi-PO! Wi-POOOO!!"

More important, can the posts for Wi-Po surpass Arian Foster in another 3 days?

This is very well articulated. It's also exactly why I think it's highly unlikely that Wi-Po can be pickup of the year. Even IF he gets the opportunity, everything you just said will continue to limit his production. We can't be sure that Ken Whisenhut will end up being as smart about football as fantasy footballers like you and me, so we could be stuck with more of the same terrible game strategy (and the same o-line).

Yeah by no means was I trying to say that their line is very good. But it isn't as bad as people think so far into the season. I feel they have an adequate line that has just had a rough start to their schedule.

Also the main point was there wasn't much reason to abandon the run like they did. Ultimately I think it made the game a lot harder on Arizona than it should have been. 8 sacks and 2 INTs are not good by any means.

Arizona will run the ball a whole lot more against St. Louis. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the ball 60% of the time. Especially if they get out in front to start the game.

Yeah by no means was I trying to say that their line is very good. But it isn't as bad as people think so far into the season. I feel they have an adequate line that has just had a rough start to their schedule.

Also the main point was there wasn't much reason to abandon the run like they did. Ultimately I think it made the game a lot harder on Arizona than it should have been. 8 sacks and 2 INTs are not good by any means.

Arizona will run the ball a whole lot more against St. Louis. I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the ball 60% of the time. Especially if they get out in front to start the game.

Assuming all that is true: Do you STILL think that Wi-Po will be pick-up of the year over Bolden and Andre Brown?

I don't know how people can say ARI has a solid offensive line. I am sure there are some backward stats that quantify bull**** that doesn't matter but they are clearly a bottom 10 line easily. They give up lots of SACKs and have very poor RUSH stats, yet people come on here and defend them based on nonsensical gibberish.

• Like 1

The O-Line just needs time to gel. They weren't rated the 15th rushing o-line just because Levi Borwon, whom rated as a bottom 5 tackle. I think they we very average by the end of the year. I don't think the running backs will help you at all in the first half of the season. Maybe second.

This thread is still going on? William Powell must have a lot of relatives who are Rotoworld members...

• Like 1

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

AZ oline is dead last in many categories. considering they avg abt 2.5 a rush, its not very good for either the OL or the rb.

couple that with 17th in the league in carries and a horrible left run blocking side, they run alot but have not been successful yet... or maybe they will improve. beats me, but its pretty bad to be a rb in AZ

hahaha the left side is bad and they continue to run left too, statistically this isn't a good combination

Edited by scorched03

Here's the OL:

LT: D'Anthony Batiste - 30 yr old, undrafted, signed off denver's practice squad

LG: Daryn Colledge - 30 yr old, 2nd rounder, signed off packers

C: Lyle_Sendlein - 28 yr old, undrafted

RG: Adam_Snyder - 30 yr old, 3rd rounder, signed off 49ers

RT: Bobby_Massie - 24 yr old, 4th rounder, a rookie

Edited by scorched03

Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed that rookie Ryan Williams isn't part of the no-huddle scheme because he's not far enough along in his development to handle it.The Cardinals had no shot of running the ball successfully against the Dolphins last week, so they quickly scrapped it and went no-huddle. Williams Powell was the one that practiced in that scheme all last week. The Cards figure to stick with the run game Thursday night as the Rams rank 26th in rushing yards allowed and are giving up 4.7 yards per carry. Williams is on the RB2 radar as the primary back in base formations.

For me this a make or break game for Williams. He has to show something, and he has to get touches. Williams doesn't know the playbook despite being on the team the past two years? If Powell gets nothing against a weak D, or doesn't show anything against this D, I'll dump him. He doesn't have enough time to get going before Beanie comes back if he doesn't do something soon.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 1

Juicy matchup for the ARZ RB's this week....anyone have any thoughts of who plays more snaps?

Juicy matchup for the ARZ RB's this week....anyone have any thoughts of who plays more snaps?

If Lerod Stephens Howling is active he probably won't even see many snaps. Most of his snaps came on passing downs last Sunday, and LSR is the reguar 3rd down back, and he was hurt last Sunday.

If "Hyphen" (Stephens-Howling) is inactive tomorrow I view Powell as a roll of the dice RB3 option in PPR leagues. If last week was any indication, Powell should be in for most 3rd downs and could get some 1st & 2nd down work if R. Williams fails to impress early on.

Ughhh, might have to start this guy in my 14-team league this week! All three of my RBs are on BYEs and my only other option is Lamar Miller and Bernard Pierce. Decisions decisions...

Ughhh, might have to start this guy in my 14-team league this week! All three of my RBs are on BYEs and my only other option is Lamar Miller and Bernard Pierce. Decisions decisions...

Did you mean to say Ryan Williams or this guy Powell ?. You would better off starting Jackie Battle than starting this guy

He doesn't have enough time to get going before Beanie comes back if he doesn't do something soon.

I am starting to think Beanie is the better long-term option, nicks and all.

I believe the window of opportunity may be there for Powell. I hope he shows something Sunday.