FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

Williams is in-line to be the primary ball carrier. Pow doesn't have a carry through 3 weeks.

As a Beanie owner without Ryan Williams I'm taking a flier on William Powell he was great in the pre-season and after reading this quote from Ryan:

"As soon as some contact comes, sometimes the first thing I think about is ‘Is my leg going to be OK?’" Williams conceded. "I’m not thinking, ‘Play fast.' It’s ‘When I get hit, I need to lay myself down so my leg isn’t caught up in some crazy mess.'"

Dude doesn't sound very confident and when you play not to get hurt you usually end up hurt, this combined with his problems holding on to the ball and I think William Powell has a chance.

• Like 2

"As soon as some contact comes, sometimes the first thing I think about is ‘Is my leg going to be OK?’" Williams conceded. "I’m not thinking, ‘Play fast.' It’s ‘When I get hit, I need to lay myself down so my leg isn’t caught up in some crazy mess.'"

Overblown quote IMO. But a slight concern. Very slight.

• Like 1

only week 4 and im hoping for one of the brothers powell to break out. gonna be a long season

I'm a tad heavy on Powells, too, yes...

Just took a look at his preseason games (which mean a lot, nope) but he had some really good games... Im all in on this guy!

Wish I could buy on this guy; nice sleeper in the next few weeks. Williams has double digit touches each game this season, but also two fumbles and only 144 total yards on 36 touches (4.0 avg). Last game significantly boosted his average and maybe his favor with coaches, but I'd bet he's only a fumble or two away from riding the pine.

CBS has him 0% owned, considering dropping a WR3/4 type for this guy. RB's are getting thrashed this year, but is he more valuable at this point than good backups?

I'm intrigued. Wouldn't mind finding the next Foster as was mentioned earlier.

Wish I could buy on this guy; nice sleeper in the next few weeks. Williams has double digit touches each game this season, but also two fumbles and only 144 total yards on 36 touches (4.0 avg). Last game significantly boosted his average and maybe his favor with coaches, but I'd bet he's only a fumble or two away from riding the pine.

CBS has him 0% owned, considering dropping a WR3/4 type for this guy. RB's are getting thrashed this year, but is he more valuable at this point than good backups?

You're talking about Bilal - this thread is William.

Nice work guys. I am buying. All we need is another Williams fumble or bad performance and Powell should earn some touches. Regardless Powell should get some touches this week to spell Williams.

I threw a couple of bids on him. Ryan seems timid and vulnerable and Stephens-Howling is nothing to get excited about. Powell has to be solid, right? Right?

Found this on ESPN:

Comment: Powell is an undersized running back with good foot quickness, agility and balance, but marginal top end speed. He did not see any action as a rookie in 2011 and needs more exposure in order to be evaluated.

I think he could be worthwhile. Williams has only gotten notable yardage in garbage time and has fumbling and confidence problems. He'll get a chance to take the job, but Powell could be a good deep-league stash.

William Powell beat out Alfonso Smith to make the 53-man roster this season. Last season, Alfonso Smith was on the 53-man roster, and William Powell was on the practice squad. Alfonso Smith being resigned is merely a roster move to keep the same amount of RB's on the roster:

4:

Beanie Wells

Ryan Williams

William Powell

LaRod Stephens-Howling

Now, 4:

Ryan Williams

William Powell

LaRod Stephens-Howling

Alfonso Smith

Somebody's been watching Sesame Street.
  • Like 2

In any case, its worth an add because Williams is a question mark. He has never carried the load in the NFL, he's coming off knee surgery and he has shown to be fumble prone.

I think Powell is a decent flier but I don't understand why everyone keeps throwing out the Foster thing.

Houston had one of the best, if not the best, OLs in the NFL when Foster broke out. That has had a lot to do with Foster's continued success imo. If you threw Foster behind the Cardinals OL he would not have had anywhere close to the level of success we've seen.

People need to relax on Powell's upside. His ceiling is not that high.