FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

http://www.azcardina...42-6d8e7d71ed55

William Powell Primed To Play

On game days, William Powell prepares to play alongside his teammates.

He gets to the stadium early and warms up before the crowd arrives, readying himself physically and psyching himself up mentally. Before each game, however, Powell was told he’d be inactive.

That’ll change Sunday.

With Wednesday’s news that running back Beanie Wellsicon-article-link.gif was put on injured reserve/designated to return and with LaRod Stephens-Howlingicon-article-link.gif missing practice Wednesday and Thursday with a hip injury, Powell is expected to get his first regular-season action against the Dolphins Sunday.Ryan Williamsicon-article-link.gif will be the starter.

“It’ll be the same routine that I’ve been doing just getting ready for each game. The only thing different (is that I) will be in the locker room getting ready for kickoff,” Powell said.

Despite a notable preseason that saw Powell lead the league in rushing yards, he was fourth on the depth chart and the odd man out on game days. But Powell has impressed coach Ken Whisenhunt enough for the coach to keep him as his fourth back – in case a situation like this week’s arose.

Thus far, he’s spent the regular season running opponents’ offenses waiting for the opportunity to play in his first regular season game.

“There’s only so much you can see from practice in season because you’re trying to run the other team’s plays,” Whisenhunt said. “But William has worked hard.

“If it wasn’t for the fact that we had other backs that were good backs, he would’ve been playing and contributing this year. We knew at some point probably he would have to do that.”

To firm up depth at running back, the Cardinals signed Alfonso Smithicon-article-link.gif. Who will get the remaining reps – if anyone – is yet to be seen, but Powell’s confidence hasn’t wavered, he said. And, maybe more importantly, he’s prepared to play.

“Over the first three weeks, I was anxious, ready to get in there and settle back into it,” Powell said. “Unfortunately, I was inactive but I stayed ready. You never know in this league when your number will be called so I had to stay ready. Every week I was ready to go in there.”

Edited by Robrain
  • Like 1

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/With-Beanie-On-IR-Williams-Ready/d2f2794d-88c9-4047-a121-46bc75fa3e82

Williams figures to get the bulk of the carries – he said expects an increase of five to 10 – but coach Ken Whisenhunt was quick to point out backups LaRod Stephens-Howling and William Powell as candidates to get work.

“We certainly feel comfortable with the other guys carrying the ball so we’ll still continue to split time with the backs just because that’s the way we’ve done it,” Whisenhunt said.

This is all fine and good, but he still needs an injury to Williams to become relevant. Good for him though, finally getting some work.

This is all fine and good, but he still needs an injury to Williams to become relevant. Good for him though, finally getting some work.

Or ineffectiveness or even a fumble (in which Williams did both first 2 weeks) could make Powell relevant. Either way if you have room on your bench, doesn't hurt to stash this guy.

I still can't find a scouting report ...

Is this guy really comparable to Lesean Mccoy? I guess his game is more speed than power? I know nothing about this man of mystery other than he lit it up all summer and is behind an "injury prone" RB

but so is lamar milller ... My current "hey if X gets hurt Y could be good" RB flier

He was a walk on at K State and played behind Daniel Thomas... I'm not sure a scouting report even exists on him.

He's the Keyser Soze of running backs...no one ever suspected him of.....okay, wtf, I am in. Dropping......Joique Bell for one William Powell aka the Sandman, aka the next Shady McCoy, the ultimate sleeper....I likey!

The best part about this situation is that AZ is actually winning games, and therefore would have no incentive to play their high drat pick if he's not performing up to par (similar to NY Giants with Wilson and Brown). Their offense struggles enough already, so if Powell comes in and someone gives them a huge boost, I think he would have a shot at a decent workload going forward.

I have no clue what he's capable of doing, and his highlights didn't look that great to me, but I'm interested in finding out.

Or ineffectiveness or even a fumble (in which Williams did both first 2 weeks) could make Powell relevant. Either way if you have room on your bench, doesn't hurt to stash this guy.

Well he's already proven to be fairly effective so I don't think that will be an issue. Fumbles, yes those could do him in if he starts putting it on the turf on a regular basis. I'm definitely not against stashing the guy for people who have room, I love stashing lotto tickets.

man its really hard to find fumble info for past college years.

williams seems like quite a talent but very injury prone/unlucky

sr hs: 4 missed games

fr college: no missed games

so college: 4.5 missed games

nfl yr 1: 16 missed games

ryan williams stats: 3.4 ypc and 2 lost fumbles.

For 2011, Football Outsiders graded the Cardinals’ offensive line as 15th best in run blocking, but a lowly 27th in pass protection.

however, powell has like 25 college snaps... ever. he showed big play ability on his runs, but got hurt his only yr playing

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/william-powell-1.html

other forums have keyed on this guy also, just points to consider

With Bush likely back I have replaced Lamar Miller with Powell as a insurance to Williams. Just thinking Powell's 2012 Outlook for near mid-short term has some nice upside.

Also, nice piece of info on the O-Line grade at 15th for running. Everyone is dogging the Card o-line but appears like it maybe decent at run blocking and horrible at pass blocking (which to the casual fan is always a bigger eye sore).

It's a worthy test for the new ARZ run game v MIA (whom by an earlier unverified account claimed they haven't allowed a 100 yd rusher in something like the last 16-17 games).

If ARZ run game does decent here, the long term outlook will be pointing up.

The question is, what is decent. What do you think would be a decent showing for ARZ statistically?

If he takes the job, blows up, and then gets hurt, at that point, guess what? You find another RB.

At least you had one for a few weeks during the byes before he theoretically got hurt.

Or he doesn't get hurt, because you're merely speculating, and has a solid year (ala Reggie Bush who people said couldn't take a feature back workload last season).

I was just telling my buddy who picked up Ryan Williams the other day that I got the real pick up with William Powell!

Hopefully this guy gets a good chance. The guy had insane averages in college (kick returns and yards per rush) and preseason. He could be one of those undrafted gems (similar to Arian Foster).

I was just telling my buddy who picked up Ryan Williams the other day that I got the real pick up with William Powell!

Hopefully this guy gets a good chance. The guy had insane averages in college (kick returns and yards per rush) and preseason. He could be one of those undrafted gems (similar to Arian Foster).

Am I missing something, but ESPN only had in his profile that he received 23 college carries?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14432/type/college/william-powell

Am I missing something, but ESPN only had in his profile that he received 23 college carries?

Looks that way. Not sure if it matters but I recall Arian being a blue chip high school prospect too. So at least there was some pedigree. However, based off the preseason eyeball test he's worth a flyer and just an injury away from his shot at significant carries.

For 2011, Football Outsiders graded the Cardinals’ offensive line as 15th best in run blocking, but a lowly 27th in pass protection.

however, powell has like 25 college snaps... ever. he showed big play ability on his runs, but got hurt his only yr playing

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/william-powell-1.html

This is exactly what put this guy on my radar. Just read my first post in this thread.

Basically he was leading the preseason in rushing (not sure if he ended with the lead but fairly positive he did).

He had limited use in college his senior year. But he averaged 10.9 yards a carry. Sure it was only 23 carries, but he broke out for 4 TDs in those carries!!! That is an insane ratio!!

In college Powell had 23 carries (4 went for TDs) and returned 21 kick offs (1 for a TD) so he netted 5 TDs while only touching the ball 44 times, counting kick off returns!! I doubt there has been a more efficient TD scorer in all of the NCAA since Powell in 2010.

Also the guy averaged 34.6 yards a kick return. He looks to have an extreme amount of big play ability

Just to put into perspective how dynamic those return stats are. The 3 best Kickoff Return teams in the NFL in 2011 were Indy (30.7 yards/a), Baltimore (29.7 yards/a), and Carolina (27.2 yards/a). League average was 23.8 yards. There were only 9 TDs in 1375 return tries, for a TD every 152.8 kick offs.

2010: NFL kickoff return average was 22.3 yards, TDs per Kickoff return was 88.39, which was a big amount and part of the reason the league wanted to try the new rule.

2009: NFL kickoff return average was 22.6 yards, TD per Kickoff Return was 111.33.

Yes the new rule kickoff rule in 2011 has reduced return TDs. But return average has actually slightly increased with the new rule as, every good kick you are automatically taking a touchback and you are only returning kicks that are either bad or considered "returnable".

this guy is the dos equis commercial guy of RB stashes.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Looks that way. Not sure if it matters but I recall Arian being a blue chip high school prospect too. So at least there was some pedigree. However, based off the preseason eyeball test he's worth a flyer and just an injury away from his shot at significant carries.

Foster had like 600 college carries though, so there was a larger sample size to judge off. I am trying to think of a RB that got no run in college that became fantasy relevant in the NFL. Can anyone think of one? Closet one I think of is Priest Holmes who received only 252 rush attempts in college.

http://www.sports-re...m-powell-1.html

This is exactly what put this guy on my radar. Just read my first post in this thread.

Basically he was leading the preseason in rushing (not sure if he ended with the lead but fairly positive he did).

He had limited use in college his senior year. But he averaged 10.9 yards a carry. Sure it was only 23 carries, but he broke out for 4 TDs in those carries!!! That is an insane ratio!!

In college Powell had 23 carries (4 went for TDs) and returned 21 kick offs (1 for a TD) so he netted 5 TDs while only touching the ball 44 times, counting kick off returns!! I doubt there has been a more efficient TD scorer in all of the NCAA since Powell in 2010.

Also the guy averaged 34.6 yards a kick return. He looks to have an extreme amount of big play ability

Just to put into perspective how dynamic those return stats are. The 3 best Kickoff Return teams in the NFL in 2011 were Indy (30.7 yards/a), Baltimore (29.7 yards/a), and Carolina (27.2 yards/a). League average was 23.8 yards. There were only 9 TDs in 1375 return tries, for a TD every 152.8 kick offs.

2010: NFL kickoff return average was 22.3 yards, TDs per Kickoff return was 88.39, which was a big amount and part of the reason the league wanted to try the new rule.

2009: NFL kickoff return average was 22.6 yards, TD per Kickoff Return was 111.33.

Yes the new rule kickoff rule in 2011 has reduced return TDs. But return average has actually slightly increased with the new rule as, every good kick you are automatically taking a touchback and you are only returning kicks that are either bad or considered "returnable".

I'd like to stress that leading the team in rushing in the preseason is a zero accomplishment. Guys like Powell are getting run in the 2nd half against grocery baggers. Most teams leading rusher in the preseason is a scrub off the streets who ends up getting cut or bouncing around camp after camp every year. This year the Seahawks leading rusher in the preseason was Kregg Lumpkin.

Look at the names on the NFL preseason rushing leaders list:

http://www.nfl.com/s...=true&Submit=Go

Justin Forsett? Anthony Dixon? Keith Toston? Nate Eachus? LOL come on, that should never be brought up in an argument for supporting a player. Preseason NFL rushing is almost completely worthless for analyzing..........

Edited by Cmilne23

Cyrus Gray? Jordan Todman? Keith Toston? Nate Eachus? LOL come on, that should never be brought up in an argument for supporting a player. Preseason NFL rushing is almost completely worthless for analyzing..........

What do you think was the main evidence of Arain Foster breaking out a few years ago? He dominated in preseason. He wasn't the clear cut starter over Steve Slaton until right before the season started. But people were taking chances on him in fantasy drafts somewhere around the 5th - 6th rounds hoping he would win the job.

I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong. Yes leading the preseason in rushing should be taken with a grain of salt (I never said go draft William Powell) but leading in the league in rushing in the preseason can't hurt your chances. Especially when your average was around 6 yards per carry.

Foster had like 600 college carries though, so there was a larger sample size to judge off. I am trying to think of a RB that got no run in college that became fantasy relevant in the NFL. Can anyone think of one? Closet one I think of is Priest Holmes who received only 252 rush attempts in college.

I'm trying to find one but can't either...

Powell could be a special breed, the first of his kind!!

I just can't believe the guy has 4 TDs in 23 carries and can't warrant more carries? I'm going to look deeper into this, I'm thinking he probably didn't even play the first half of the season?

I love watching these hype train threads.

I'll throw some cold water here- what reason is there for owning this guy over the following RB's?

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

What do they all have in common? They will all be essentially fantasy worthless UNLESS the guy in front of them gets hurt (Bilal Powell could take over without injury, same with Jacquizz). Not to say they don't have value, I own several of them. And inevitably some of the starters will get hurt, maybe Ryan Wiliiams is one of them. But this Powell dude is frankly at the bottom of the barrel in terms of backups I would want to own right now.

Now, neophyte Powell owners, lets start the attack on Wombat for dishing the haterade!

Edited by Wombat

I'm trying to find one but can't either...

Powell could be a special breed, the first of his kind!!

I just can't believe the guy has 4 TDs in 23 carries and can't warrant more carries? I'm going to look deeper into this, I'm thinking he probably didn't even play the first half of the season?

That would be pretty cool if he did. But it would be a pretty big longshot. But for those who like to gamble on RB injuries and stash backups he is a nice speculative add. I would pretty much leave it at that though.

Edited by Cmilne23

I love watching these hype train threads.

I'll throw some cold water here- what reason is there for owning this guy over the following RB's?

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

What do they all have in common? They will all be fantasy worthless UNLESS the guy in front of them gets hurt. Not to say they don't have value, I own several of them. And inevitably some of the starters will get hurt, maybe Ryan Wiliiams is one of them. But this Powell dude is frankly at the bottom of the barrel in terms of backups I would want to own right now.

Now, neophyte Powell owners, lets start the attack on Wombat for dishing the haterade!

hunter battle bush and jacquizz all have potential roles in their offense/have produced already. toby/goodson/richardson are useless at the moment.

i'm torn between joique and powell myself ... joique is in a similar situation but better offense. and his name is joique.

Williams was dropped, I plan to pluck him off waivers Sunday morning. That said and with LSH injury, you have to think Powell is Williams 'cuff until Wells is back. That's... what, 6 weeks?

Edited by scienergy