FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

Foster had like 600 college carries though, so there was a larger sample size to judge off. I am trying to think of a RB that got no run in college that became fantasy relevant in the NFL. Can anyone think of one? Closet one I think of is Priest Holmes who received only 252 rush attempts in college.

I'm trying to find one but can't either...

Powell could be a special breed, the first of his kind!!

I just can't believe the guy has 4 TDs in 23 carries and can't warrant more carries? I'm going to look deeper into this, I'm thinking he probably didn't even play the first half of the season?

From his sophomore-senior year at arkansas, Peyton Hillis only had 140 carries, behind felix jones and darren mcfadden. So for those 3 years, Hillis had only 10% of the carries in that backfield. Looks like William Powell had a similar situation with Daniel Thomas

and Thomas sucks, while DMC is arguably one of the best RBs in football and Jones was explosive, too bad Jones couldn't take a hit. so to use your comparison to Hillis coming out of college doesn't really work. and its not like Hillis is some world beater in the nfl either.

:wacko: he won me a championship 2 years ago and I'm sure he did the same for many others.. that's what this thread is all about isn't it???

That is exactly what this forum is about.

It's just so annoying when people tell you, you can't compare these two players!! For whatever personal fan boy reasoning they have.

What if you were comparing how different they were? Or what if you were comparing how much comparing player X to player Y would piss of random troll in a fantasy message forum? I mean there are many ways to compare someone on, let alone when you comparing similarities.

I've watched significant tape on this kid. He's definitely got what it takes to be the next Arian Foster if he gets a crack. By significant tape I mean the last clip that was posted a page or two ago.

Okay this did make me burst out with laughter lol.

you are overhyping by trying to tie him to foster, when there is nothing to tie to. which then gives has everyone thinking number 1 rb in fantasy football.

and then putting him as more upside than guys like Hunter who are thought as some of the top handcuff/sleeper rbs coming into the year

as far as that list goes. outside of Hunter, Rodgers and Gerhart the others could have been had off the wire prior to week 3. so it wouldn't be that hard for one of those guys to be the worst player on a roster. hell even if you drafted Hunter or Gerhart it wouldn't be hard for one of the them to be the worst player. and it would have nothing to do with luck

Honestly how do you compare players that is so great? Who would you compare him to?

I mean every player has something in common with many other players, therefore by your logic they would be weak comparisons. Cause undrafted players just lead the preseason in rushing all the time. You act like leading the NFL in rushing in the preseason is a negative thing. I understand "take it with a grain of salt" but you can't hold that against someone.

I mean what more do you want?

Here are so more similarities. Arain Foster had to make the team his rookie year. He was released but signed to the practice squad. Despite being unknown he continued to work hard. He wasn't on the active roster to start the season. He all of a sudden went off in the final two weeks of the season his rookie year and then become the best fantasy RB.

Okay the similarities stop after "He wasn't on the active roster".

With all due respect, his name is AR-IA-N Foster, not AR-AI-N Foster. I thought it was a typo before, but that's the 2nd post where you've identified him as Arain Foster.

I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that by comparing Powell to Foster, there is an inherent over-hyping that occurs whether you intended it or not, precisely because there are MANY MANY other undrafted running backs who have fantasy relevance that make for a better comparison. The only reason people point to Arian Foster rather than Jackie Battle is to create excitement about this oh-so-seductive possibility that you could pick up a guy from waivers and have him turn out to be the #1 RB in all of fantasy.

But again, bear in mind that Foster's breakout season came in a year when he was drafted, certainly late in many rounds. But he didn't have this huge season during the first year he got playing time, which was late in the season BEFORE his breakout year.

Yes I will give you that William Powell's rookie season is looking very similar to Foster's 2nd year. But technically this could be Powell's 2nd year as he was done with college in 2010. I don't know what he did if he was just a practice squad player last year or what. But either way the compassion still stands.

But feel free to continue to shoot me down for having my own opinion. It's funny seeing people get worked up over nothing.

YOU CAN'T COMPARE THIS GUY TO ARIAN FOSTER!! THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT!! I DON'T CARE HOW LONG YOUR LIST OF SIMILARITIES IS, IT JUST CAN'T BE!! THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER RB TO BREAKOUT LIKE THAT!! IT IS JUST IMPOSSIBLE!!

that is the one side. Then there's me saying.

Hey guys, there's a chance this kid could be a really damn good pick up right now. Remember when Arian Foster (another undrafted RB) lead the preseason in rushing? It could be similar to something like that if the guy gets a chance to carry the ball. Well hell it looks like he's going to touch the rock a little bit now doesn't it?

Once again you accuse others of being worked up when it is absurdly obvious to anyone viewing the thread that there is only one person worked up in this thread, and it is you...

I've watched significant tape on this kid. He's definitely got what it takes to be the next Arian Foster if he gets a crack. By significant tape I mean the last clip that was posted a page or two ago.

If I could like this more than once I would. LoL...nice.

you are overhyping by trying to tie him to foster, when there is nothing to tie to. which then gives has everyone thinking number 1 rb in fantasy football.

and then putting him as more upside than guys like Hunter who are thought as some of the top handcuff/sleeper rbs coming into the year

as far as that list goes. outside of Hunter, Rodgers and Gerhart the others could have been had off the wire prior to week 3. so it wouldn't be that hard for one of those guys to be the worst player on a roster. hell even if you drafted Hunter or Gerhart it wouldn't be hard for one of the them to be the worst player. and it would have nothing to do with luck

Honestly how do you compare players that is so great? Who would you compare him to?

I mean every player has something in common with many other players, therefore by your logic they would be weak comparisons. Cause undrafted players just lead the preseason in rushing all the time. You act like leading the NFL in rushing in the preseason is a negative thing. I understand "take it with a grain of salt" but you can't hold that against someone.

I mean what more do you want?

Here are so more similarities. Arain Foster had to make the team his rookie year. He was released but signed to the practice squad. Despite being unknown he continued to work hard. He wasn't on the active roster to start the season. He all of a sudden went off in the final two weeks of the season his rookie year and then become the best fantasy RB.

Okay the similarities stop after "He wasn't on the active roster".

With all due respect, his name is AR-IA-N Foster, not AR-AI-N Foster. I thought it was a typo before, but that's the 2nd post where you've identified him as Arain Foster.

I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that by comparing Powell to Foster, there is an inherent over-hyping that occurs whether you intended it or not, precisely because there are MANY MANY other undrafted running backs who have fantasy relevance that make for a better comparison. The only reason people point to Arian Foster rather than Jackie Battle is to create excitement about this oh-so-seductive possibility that you could pick up a guy from waivers and have him turn out to be the #1 RB in all of fantasy.

But again, bear in mind that Foster's breakout season came in a year when he was drafted, certainly late in many rounds. But he didn't have this huge season during the first year he got playing time, which was late in the season BEFORE his breakout year.

Yes I will give you that William Powell's rookie season is looking very similar to Foster's 2nd year. But technically this could be Powell's 2nd year as he was done with college in 2010. I don't know what he did if he was just a practice squad player last year or what. But either way the compassion still stands.

But feel free to continue to shoot me down for having my own opinion. It's funny seeing people get worked up over nothing.

YOU CAN'T COMPARE THIS GUY TO ARIAN FOSTER!! THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT!! I DON'T CARE HOW LONG YOUR LIST OF SIMILARITIES IS, IT JUST CAN'T BE!! THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER RB TO BREAKOUT LIKE THAT!! IT IS JUST IMPOSSIBLE!!

that is the one side. Then there's me saying.

Hey guys, there's a chance this kid could be a really damn good pick up right now. Remember when Arian Foster (another undrafted RB) lead the preseason in rushing? It could be similar to something like that if the guy gets a chance to carry the ball. Well hell it looks like he's going to touch the rock a little bit now doesn't it?

Oh c'mon, you've gotta lighten up a little, my friend. Who's getting all worked up? You've posted 12 times in the last 2 hours. It's almost as if you want everyone to just agree with you and that would make you happy. Why do you bother posting if you aren't willing to accept some opposing views? I guess I presumed that the fact you're spending so much time here means that you aren't scared off by people who don't agree with everything you say.

I do see that you have softened your point a little, which I think I'd agree with. YES, Powell could turn out to be a good pickup even if he's not nearly as good as Arian Foster. Not ARAIN Foster. ;)

However, the preseason success similarities are questionable because Powell was 3rd-4th string while Arian Foster had already proven during the previous regular season that he had some skills. Plus, JUST MY OPINION, but I think Arian Foster is a better raw talent than Powell.

I think the better comparison might be Fast Willie Parker in terms of upside. Arian Foster just doesn't make sense based on body type, skills, or anything else other than being undrafted.

Look at it this way. A few weeks from now, you'll be hailed a genius for posting 20 times about William Powell being so great that one should remember that Arian Foster came out of nowhere, or else everyone will forget all of this if he fades into obscurity. Nothing but upside for you. ;)

Edited by bsong71

Oh c'mon, you've gotta lighten up a little, my friend. Who's getting all worked up? You've posted 12 times in the last 2 hours. It's almost as if you want everyone to just agree with you and that would make you happy. Why do you bother posting if you aren't willing to accept some opposing views? I guess I presumed that the fact you're spending so much time here means that you aren't scared off by people who don't agree with everything you say.

I do see that you have softened your point a little, which I think I'd agree with. YES, Powell could turn out to be a good pickup even if he's not nearly as good as Arian Foster. Not ARAIN Foster. ;)

However, the preseason success similarities are questionable because Powell was 3rd-4th string while Arian Foster had already proven during the previous regular season that he had some skills. Plus, JUST MY OPINION, but I think Arian Foster is a better raw talent than Powell.

I think the better comparison might be Fast Willie Parker in terms of upside. Arian Foster just doesn't make sense based on body type, skills, or anything else other than being undrafted.

Look at it this way. A few weeks from now, you'll be hailed a genius for posting 20 times about William Powell being so great that one should remember that Arian Foster came out of nowhere, or else everyone will forget all of this if he fades into obscurity. Nothing but upside for you. ;)

I've posted 12 times in the past 2 hours because I'm off early and doing fantasy football research. That has nothing to do with anything.

I could care less if you agree with me or not. But I'm not going to let you tell me I'm wrong or can't compare him to Arian Foster (which you can go back and see the many times I spelled it correctly, when you type well over 100 words a min a minor typo is not a big deal) when you have no basis of an argument.

It is just especially annoying when people just assume their opinion instead of know it or research it. Know what you're saying before you say it, don't just come at me popping off to be argumentitive.

I made a statement you guys took it out of context and flamed me for it. Of course I'm going to defend what I've said. It's the Kris Medlen thread all over again.

This is my entire point. Either he's an awesome pick up and it's a big win or you drop him for someone else. You can't really lose.

The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers expects Cardinals TE Todd Heap (knee), RB La'Rod Stephens-Howling (hip), and DE/DT Darnell Dockett (hamstring) to all miss Week 4 against the Dolphins.

• Like 1

I see a guy that danced in a hole, failed to follow his blocks, and bounced outside. Usually not a successful move.

I don't think we watched the same video.

I have to go with Chardo. This run is for 2 yard loss regular season unless vs the Saints.

I see a guy that danced in a hole, failed to follow his blocks, and bounced outside. Usually not a successful move.

I don't think we watched the same video.

I have to go with Chardo. This run is for 2 yard loss regular season unless vs the Saints.

I'm not so sure about that. Powell wasn't even touched at the line by a defender at the line. He bounced it out so quick and at the a great time. That is what the best RBs do. I could agree with you had he broken a weak tackle by some defender off the practice team. But there was a stalemate at the line of scrimmage, he recognized it, bounced it outside and up the sideline.

Watch a Barry Sander's highlight reel. Better yet watch a Barry Sanders game or even Reggie Bush in college. Their best runs weren't runs by design. They were the ones where they improvised and got the edge where pure speed in space took over. Sanders would go for no gain, -1 yard, bust one for 45. Forte is very similar as well.

So now William Powell is a cross between Arian Foster and Barry Sanders.

You know, when he's healthy, Beanie runs a lot like Jim Brown.

• Like 1

Darren McFadden runs like a Terminator.

William Powell will blow MIA away if he gets a chance. He'll have a Darius Reynaud type outing.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing all the hype. Yes a good handcuff to have if your a ryan williams owner but beyond this I'm not sure he's real useful. RB's are typically a product of their line / offensive system and the Cards have yet to prove they're an effective run team. Take away R. Williams 25 yd run and he's averaging 2.7 yds. Beanie 2.6 yds.

If he was going into a system like the texans or bills then I would have my hopes up a little more.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing all the hype. Yes a good handcuff to have if your a ryan williams owner but beyond this I'm not sure he's real useful. RB's are typically a product of their line / offensive system and the Cards have yet to prove they're an effective run team. Take away R. Williams 25 yd run and he's averaging 2.7 yds. Beanie 2.6 yds.

If he was going into a system like the texans or bills then I would have my hopes up a little more.

Their run blocking hasn't actually been "bad", as noted previously: ~15th in run blocking.

I've posted 12 times in the past 2 hours because I'm off early and doing fantasy football research. That has nothing to do with anything.

I could care less if you agree with me or not. But I'm not going to let you tell me I'm wrong or can't compare him to Arian Foster (which you can go back and see the many times I spelled it correctly, when you type well over 100 words a min a minor typo is not a big deal) when you have no basis of an argument.

It is just especially annoying when people just assume their opinion instead of know it or research it. Know what you're saying before you say it, don't just come at me popping off to be argumentitive.

I made a statement you guys took it out of context and flamed me for it. Of course I'm going to defend what I've said. It's the Kris Medlen thread all over again.

You sound worked up.

I apologize if you've taken this personally. But let me suggest that perhaps you are making it very hard for anyone to find the fine line between disagreeing and being "argumentative." I guess we could disagree more politely and that would be less argumentative? But then we might require the message forum equivalent of cuddling a quarterback to the ground, which is perhaps consistent with current NFL rules designed to protect QBs. :)

I do applaud you for not caring if anyone agrees with you. Besides, if we all agreed with you, your research would simply confirm everything you already know and you could skip the research and go golfing instead.

I respectfully express my opinion that any suggestion that William Powell will be anything close to Arian Foster in production this season or any other is very speculative, and such outcome is highly unlikely. But not impossible. This is just my opinion and nothing more. I think he's more likely to be Jackie Battle even if he gets playing time. If I'm proven wrong, then more power to those who have faith in him.

Their run blocking hasn't actually been "bad", as noted previously: ~15th in run blocking.

As a team they are averaging 2.8 YPC. There line is not good. They are 30th in YPC behind only Pitt and Tennessee. They are actually 27th in yards as well. Where are you getting this "15th" in run blocking from? There run blocking has been garbage no matter what stats you look at.

Edited by Cmilne23

I think the stat was previously mentioned in either this thread or the Ryan Williams thread. The point is, with Beanie Wells out of the picture, if Powell performs better than both Wells and Williams have thus far, that would go a long way towards winning the starting job. The line isn't great, but as a run blocking group, they're not terrible. Their deficiency is pass-blocking. If there was a better back in the backfield getting the carries (hint: William Powell), there's a good chance that 2.8 YPC could be markedly improved upon.

• Like 1

I think the stat was previously mentioned in either this thread or the Ryan Williams thread. The point is, with Beanie Wells out of the picture, if Powell performs better than both Wells and Williams have thus far, that would go a long way towards winning the starting job. The line isn't great, but as a run blocking group, they're not terrible. Their deficiency is pass-blocking. If there was a better back in the backfield getting the carries (hint: William Powell), there's a good chance that 2.8 YPC could be markedly improved upon.

Agreed. All the more reason they need a back who can make plays without great blocking. Barry Sanders did. Walter Payton did.....greatness or bust for for Willy Powell....or a 4.0+ypc would be nice too. :rolleyes:

Ryan Williams fumbles or gets hurt, how will they split the carries between Powell and Alfonso Smith?

Who'd be the pass blocking 3rd down guy with LSH already declared out by the coaches?

As a team they are averaging 2.8 YPC. There line is not good. They are 30th in YPC behind only Pitt and Tennessee. They are actually 27th in yards as well. Where are you getting this "15th" in run blocking from? There run blocking has been garbage no matter what stats you look at.

Someone mentioned the AZ oline graded 15th in 2011 earlier. You can speculate on 3 games but hard to say the book is out. Williams sucked 1/2 and beanie sucked all 3. Can say where the blame falls but it could just as likely been the RBs not hitting the wholes or there not being holes period. An to be honest, not even the coaches wanted to break down that game tape yet alone me. So we will see. Certainly Williams gave the game life last week.

Powell is not a bad flyer cause the only info we have to gauge him off has been very positive and very limited. Powell doesn't even know if he will be good or not but he damn well has me rooting for him with the reports I hear of his attitude and work ethic.

• Like 1

Agreed. All the more reason they need a back who can make plays without great blocking. Barry Sanders did. Walter Payton did.....greatness or bust for for Willy Powell....or a 4.0+ypc would be nice too. :rolleyes:

Agreed on what? There line is not good, not even average, it is terrible. Lets not beat around the bush here, lets call a spade a spade otherwise we are going to be giving misinformation to this board. This offensive line the Cardinals have is not good, they lost there left tackle in training camp Levi Brown and that ruined there chances of having a decent line for at least probably half the season. I have watched almost everyone of these offensive snaps this season. I am a Seahawks fan first and a football junkie 2nd. So naturally I watch the division rivals games every week. There line gets zero push, they get dominated at the line of scrimmage on almost every running snap. They start projects at both tackle positions. There center was the only player on there team that graded out positively last season, and Levi Brown had a nice 2nd half. They lose there left tackle, make no upgrades, so naturally they are going to have a piss poor line. Anyone who tells you differently is kidding themselves. This line is one of the top 5 worst in the league and it will be that way for awhile because there is not a lot of continuity with the group. Powell may become a starter through injury, but people should not expect a great YPC. Arizona is a mess of a running situation this season, like it has been for awhile.

Edited by Cmilne23