FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

Very assumptive and conclusive at this point so early but not without valid reasoning. Things change in football, especially when you are gaining confidence.

At this point all they have done is improve statistically since the beginning of the season.

So who can really say, besides those with crystal balls? I try not to be quick to judgment. Also, I am glad I don't have to rely on either AZ backs.

Very assumptive and conclusive at this point so early but not without valid reasoning. Things change in football, especially when you are gaining confidence.

At this point all they have done is improve statistically since the beginning of the season.

So who can really say, besides those with crystal balls? I try not to be quick to judgment. Also, I am glad I don't have to rely on either AZ backs.

I watch every snap and the stats tell me the same thing my eyes tell. We have a 3 game sample size this year, and a full season with this exact group of lineman last year, minus the left tackle + right tackle, both spots were downgraded, and they were poor last season This is a poor collection of talent, Cardinal fans realize this, they cringe over there offensive line holding up, especially after Levi Brown was lost for the season without any sort of capable back up. Arizona was 24th in total rushing yards last year, 24th in yards per game, and that was with Levi Brown playing at a very high level after the midway point of last season. They started running the ball better in the 2nd half of the season last year. When Brown went down that hurt the progress they could of potentially made and they essentially almost have to start over as a unit.

Basically the point I am making is, ya, Powell may be worth a speculative add. He is free, he costs nothing. Not a big deal at the end of the day. But my personal preference would be to gamble on a back up in a situation where the line has more cohesion and if the starting back goes down, the back up has a greater chance of succeeding. I don't see much success for Arizona running the ball this season with there offensive line situation.

You sound worked up.

I apologize if you've taken this personally. But let me suggest that perhaps you are making it very hard for anyone to find the fine line between disagreeing and being "argumentative." I guess we could disagree more politely and that would be less argumentative? But then we might require the message forum equivalent of cuddling a quarterback to the ground, which is perhaps consistent with current NFL rules designed to protect QBs. :)

I do applaud you for not caring if anyone agrees with you. Besides, if we all agreed with you, your research would simply confirm everything you already know and you could skip the research and go golfing instead.

I respectfully express my opinion that any suggestion that William Powell will be anything close to Arian Foster in production this season or any other is very speculative, and such outcome is highly unlikely. But not impossible. This is just my opinion and nothing more. I think he's more likely to be Jackie Battle even if he gets playing time. If I'm proven wrong, then more power to those who have faith in him.

I don't take anything personal. I just said it's annoying when naysayers come in here with no facts or reasoning. It's easy to say he won't be anything like Arian Foster if people thought he would be they would have drafted him in the first round. I was just making the comparison.

We will see what happens. Right now if I had to put money on pick up of the year I'd bet on William Powell... And judging by the majority opinion in here I would think I would get great odds on my money.

I don't take anything personal. I just said it's annoying when naysayers come in here with no facts or reasoning. It's easy to say he won't be anything like Arian Foster if people thought he would be they would have drafted him in the first round. I was just making the comparison.

We will see what happens. Right now if I had to put money on pick up of the year I'd bet on William Powell... And judging by the majority opinion in here I would think I would get great odds on my money.

So basically you hate when people use logical thought. Arian is an elite top RB, does Powell even have a carry? We all know Arian came out of nowhere... but its not like there is even a RB like that every year. Spiller(hurt/timeshare), Andre Brown(a backup), and Morris(Shanny) are not on that level of value (imo the biggest value surprises at RB). I can see LeShoure being the biggest suprise by year end but even he'll have to fend off Best and probably won't be elite anyway.

It is true that the chances Powell becomes Arian are not good, so why be surprised/effected by the opinion of those you call "naysayers"? You may be misjudging them.

I don't see any reason to have 11 pages for a player without a snap because my fantasy time is limited.

Edited by And Won

So basically you hate when people use logical thought. Arian is an elite top RB, does Powell even have a carry? We all know Arian came out of nowhere... but its not like there is even a RB like that every year. Spiller(hurt/timeshare), Andre Brown(a backup), and Morris(Shanny) are not on that level of value (imo the biggest value surprises at RB). I can see LeShoure being the biggest suprise by year end but even he'll have to fend off Best and probably won't be elite anyway.

It is true that the chances Powell becomes Arian are not good, so why be surprised/effected by the opinion of those you call "naysayers". You may be misjudging them, I don't see any reason to have 11 pages for a player without a snap, and my fantasy time is limited.

Well obviously Spiller was drafted in all competitive leagues. Andre Brown was drafted in 1 of my 3 leagues and picked up quickly in the other 2. So yes he has a chance to be a big time pick up.

LeShore was drafted in all 3 of my drafts. Granted I am from Illinois so the guys in my league all know very well about LeShore. Hell half of my one 12 team league went to the game at Wrigley Field where he broke the Big 10 rushing record against NU.

But here's the thing. Here's the exact quote

Hopefully this guy gets a good chance. The guy had insane averages in college (kick returns and yards per rush) and preseason. He could be one of those undrafted gems (similar to Arian Foster).

How does that translate to this guy has to be the next Arian Foster. He COULD be one of those undrafted gems (SIMILAR to Arian Foster).

Yet haters who have nothing to contribute to this thread come in and say his situation is nothing like Arian Foster yet they actually have quite a few things in common.

You can't get excited about a player without getting flammed for it. Just look at the Zuerlein thread. So many people are having fun with it, yet you have a few negative jerks coming in there with nothing to contribute other than negativity and naysaying. Yes he's a kicker so what, why are you so prejudiced against kickers?

Again if you don't agree with me fine, but let's here why. Let's see some evidence to why you believe what you believe. Because you never see me post YOU'RE WRONG!! then have no reason for saying why I think differently. Comparing a player to another player doesn't mean I think he will produce like that player. It just means Foster at one point in his career was in a similar situation and look where he elevated his game to.

Here is a statement you can flame me for. I could see William Powell being a top 8 RB from here on out if he gets the RB1 status. He has that type of big play making ability.

I enjoy gambling on upside and I will take my chances.

Also I don't see what the amount of pages a player has, has anything to do with.... anything? Read the recent pages, look him up yourself and make your own opinion. It's not hard. You even posting in here is counter productive of your last statement.

I watch every snap and the stats tell me the same thing my eyes tell. We have a 3 game sample size this year, and a full season with this exact group of lineman last year, minus the left tackle + right tackle, both spots were downgraded, and they were poor last season This is a poor collection of talent, Cardinal fans realize this, they cringe over there offensive line holding up, especially after Levi Brown was lost for the season without any sort of capable back up. Arizona was 24th in total rushing yards last year, 24th in yards per game, and that was with Levi Brown playing at a very high level after the midway point of last season. They started running the ball better in the 2nd half of the season last year. When Brown went down that hurt the progress they could of potentially made and they essentially almost have to start over as a unit.

Basically the point I am making is, ya, Powell may be worth a speculative add. He is free, he costs nothing. Not a big deal at the end of the day. But my personal preference would be to gamble on a back up in a situation where the line has more cohesion and if the starting back goes down, the back up has a greater chance of succeeding. I don't see much success for Arizona running the ball this season with there offensive line situation.

That's a good point about quality of line. However, he enters the list of back up RBs and he is behind Ryan Williams whom is not the staple of health and struggled the first two weeks. Sometimes different RBs gel with the line better than others. Some RBs are best in certain schemes. Too much unknown here not to take a chance. The case made for AZ line sucking is compelling. It's my 5th RB's. 4-5th RBs handcuff.

What if he takes off? Not likely. But what if? In fantasy you got to take some shots. Especially when it's worth nothing.

A lot of times waiting until next week is too late.

One cool thing I would like to point out is that William Powell will be going up against the guy he backed up in college Daniel Thomas. Both look to have increased workloads this week.

Powell will have his work cut out for him as Miami is 2nd in the NFL in rush yards per attempt against at 2.5.

That's a good point about quality of line. However, he enters the list of back up RBs and he is behind Ryan Williams whom is not the staple of health and struggled the first two weeks. Sometimes different RBs gel with the line better than others. Some RBs are best in certain schemes. Too much unknown here not to take a chance. The case made for AZ line sucking is compelling. It's my 5th RB's. 4-5th RBs handcuff.

What if he takes off? Not likely. But what if? In fantasy you got to take some shots. Especially when it's worth nothing.

A lot of times waiting until next week is too late.

The line in Arizona does need some work.

They are 26th in the NFL rushing yards a game at (81.1) and 30th in the league in yards per rush at 2.8.

But they have also gone up against SEA 3rd in the NFL at 3.1 yards allowed per rush. New England 5th in the NFL at 3.3 yards allowed per rush and PHI 15th in the league at 4.0 yards allowed per rush.

Not that going up against Miami who is 2nd allowing only 2.5 yards per rush is going to help. But that's a tough first 4 games of teams to run against.

You sound worked up.

I apologize if you've taken this personally. But let me suggest that perhaps you are making it very hard for anyone to find the fine line between disagreeing and being "argumentative." I guess we could disagree more politely and that would be less argumentative? But then we might require the message forum equivalent of cuddling a quarterback to the ground, which is perhaps consistent with current NFL rules designed to protect QBs. :)

I do applaud you for not caring if anyone agrees with you. Besides, if we all agreed with you, your research would simply confirm everything you already know and you could skip the research and go golfing instead.

I respectfully express my opinion that any suggestion that William Powell will be anything close to Arian Foster in production this season or any other is very speculative, and such outcome is highly unlikely. But not impossible. This is just my opinion and nothing more. I think he's more likely to be Jackie Battle even if he gets playing time. If I'm proven wrong, then more power to those who have faith in him.

I think you came off as defensive because you accused everyone ELSE of getting "all worked up" just because they questioned your lack of reasoning and facts (other than both players were undrafted), after which your response was to complain about naysayers daring to challenge your reasoning without providing their own facts and reasoning. But I believe there were a few facts provided by the supposed naysayers like (a) Foster had way more yards in college than Powell, like (B) Foster was actually highly touted but went undrafted because of injury and questions about his mental makeup, and like © Foster actually showed promise in a regular season game before drawing a lot of attention for his preseason performance. And that Foster is a better raw talent, which is more opinion than fact, but still counts as "reasoning." One can disagree with these facts and reasoning, but it's not like they were never offered up, right?

And, you should realize why you open yourself up to critique when you are lambasting everyone who disagrees with you as annoying naysayers who have no facts or reasoning AT THE SAME TIME you are mispelling Arian Foster's name as ARAIN FOSTER in multiple posts.

Whatever the case, in the end, I commend you for a bold statement like "IF I HAD TO PUT MONEY ON PICKUP OF THE YEAR I'D BET ON WILLIAM POWELL." I personally would take the other side of that bet, but I've gotta admit it's a gutsy call.

What facts and reasoning support that view? Powell's talent?

This deserves a bump at the end of the season. Props will be given should your call be right... otherwise, you know what happens.

This deserves a bump at the end of the season. Props will be given should your call be right... otherwise, you know what happens.

I agree. I'm all for a lot of good give and take, and I appreciate it when someone takes a clear stand like this rather than saying something vanilla like, "William Powell could end up being a pretty good pickup." Best pickup of the year is taking a stand, and I will be the first to pay homage if it proves correct. (I'm further impressed that this wasn't even hedged by an "assuming Ryan Williams goes down" qualifier.)

At this point, I'd say Andre Brown is the leading contender for pickup of the year, so that's perhaps Powell's primary competition.

I honestly would be thrilled if Powell does this. It's always great to see a guy hang tough, get cut, get placed on a practice squad, then rise to super stardom. Just doesn't get any better than that.

Edited by bsong71

It is true that the chances Powell becomes Arian are not good, so why be surprised/effected by the opinion of those you call "naysayers". You may be misjudging them, I don't see any reason to have 11 pages for a player without a snap, and my fantasy time is limited.

Well obviously Spiller was drafted in all competitive leagues. Andre Brown was drafted in 1 of my 3 leagues and picked up quickly in the other 2. So yes he has a chance to be a big time pick up.

LeShore was drafted in all 3 of my drafts. Granted I am from Illinois so the guys in my league all know very well about LeShore. Hell half of my one 12 team league went to the game at Wrigley Field where he broke the Big 10 rushing record against NU.

But here's the thing. Here's the exact quote

Hopefully this guy gets a good chance. The guy had insane averages in college (kick returns and yards per rush) and preseason. He could be one of those undrafted gems (similar to Arian Foster).

How does that translate to this guy has to be the next Arian Foster. He COULD be one of those undrafted gems (SIMILAR to Arian Foster).

Yet haters who have nothing to contribute to this thread come in and say his situation is nothing like Arian Foster yet they actually have quite a few things in common.

You can't get excited about a player without getting flammed for it. Just look at the Zuerlein thread. So many people are having fun with it, yet you have a few negative jerks coming in there with nothing to contribute other than negativity and naysaying. Yes he's a kicker so what, why are you so prejudiced against kickers?

Again if you don't agree with me fine, but let's here why. Let's see some evidence to why you believe what you believe. Because you never see me post YOU'RE WRONG!! then have no reason for saying why I think differently. Comparing a player to another player doesn't mean I think he will produce like that player. It just means Foster at one point in his career was in a similar situation and look where he elevated his game to.

Here is a statement you can flame me for. I could see William Powell being a top 8 RB from here on out if he gets the RB1 status. He has that type of big play making ability.

I enjoy gambling on upside and I will take my chances.

Also I don't see what the amount of pages a player has, has anything to do with.... anything? Read the recent pages, look him up yourself and make your own opinion. It's not hard. You even posting in here is counter productive of your last statement.

The thing is you keep accusing others of not bringing any fact or reasoning but that is simply not true. You also accused people of getting angry when it was painfully obvious you were the only one in the thread getting worked up. So you just keep repeating over and over that these naysayers haven't brought anything to the table when in fact all they are doing is disagreeing with you and you just can't handle it.

Then you have comparisons to Arian Foster, Barry Sanders, saying he is the pickup of the year, and that he will be a top 8 RB ROS if he gets the job... I mean really?Thread has gone full dumpster fire.

Edited by Wombat

I could see William Powell being a top 8 RB from here on out if he gets the RB1 status. He has that type of big play making ability.

Thread has gone full dumpster fire.

\end thread

so is this guy the next greg the leg or what? i might have to join the hype train and stash him

so is this guy the next greg the leg or what? i might have to join the hype train and stash him

Yes. But in more Rudy type of way.

The thing is you keep accusing others of not bringing any fact or reasoning but that is simply not true. You also accused people of getting angry when it was painfully obvious you were the only one in the thread getting worked up. So you just keep repeating over and over that these naysayers haven't brought anything to the table when in fact all they are doing is disagreeing with you and you just can't handle it.

Then you have comparisons to Arian Foster, Barry Sanders, saying he is the pickup of the year, and that he will be a top 8 RB ROS if he gets the job... I mean really?Thread has gone full dumpster fire.

LOL Okay as if I can't handle someone disagreeing with me. Just be sure to bring facts or reasoning. A few brought some reasoning but most of you guys didn't.

But notice how your post doesn't bring any facts or reasoning to the table? So once again you will force me to repeat it. All you do is bring up what I've said and say NO. No reasoning, just "you're wrong". This is entirely more annoying when you don't even understand what I'm saying. Oh wait you made a list of guys who were drafted in all leagues or at the very least have been rostered for weeks now. So I'll give you that... I guess...

You have taken the entire Barry Sanders thing out of contex. I said good RBs know when to bounce a run outside, and improvise which is what Powell did in that one run that went for 67 yards. I then said watch a Barry Sanders highlight. As in he was the best at it and he rarely got big yards on a run by it's "design". You act as if I swore he was the second coming of Barry Sanders.

His situation is very similar to Arian Fosters.

Yes you got that right I said he could be a top 8 back if he is the primary back. That's how much upside I think he has. So be sure to flame me when he's a top 12 back and I am so entirely wrong about a waiver wire lottery ticket.

That is taking a stand. So keep ragging on people for being excited and making bold predictions.

does anyone have links to any video on him?

there's a ton of video on him. it's just that there's not much video of him playing football. indeed, he appears to be a renaissance man of sorts and moonlights as 30's film star. i have posted one of his clips below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAw7Fs3iBM

• Like 1

Only 3 here : http://search.nfl.com/search?&query=william+powell&mc_Video=973&mc_Text=559&mc_Image=273&mediatype=Video

I'm sure you can find a few from College on YouTube.

thanks for that

there's a ton of video on him. it's just that there's not much video of him playing football. indeed, he appears to be a renaissance man of sorts and moonlights as 30's film star. i have posted one of his clips below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAw7Fs3iBM

haha thats all i needed to see. added

I really like this guys stride for a dude that's only 5'9... just seems like his legs are always working hard. I'm taking a chance, though not really. He cost me nothing and I can get rid of him whenever.

• Like 1

With only 24 collegiate carries he probably can play well past 30 without decline.

This is a very good point.

I am reading this forum and I am thinking this guy could be huge. Big time averages in college and a great preseason. What's not to like? He could become the guy. I see Miami shutting Ryan Williams down. Maybe Powell comes in and breaks a big run for a TD.

To all the non-believers: Relax. This guy is a end of the bench filler for us. A place holder until the next hot thing appears. And just maybe- maybe, due to an injury or a fumble or a breakout for a TD, he could get a chance. We play this game for fun, and nothing is more fun finding a hard working underdog who succeeds.

• Like 4