Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rdf8585

Any commishes here?

Yeah, I didn't want to boot anyone and that hasn't changed. It's a closed matter.

In one league, one owner has started an injured player (Boldin) for two consecutive weeks. I overlooked the first time - things happen. But after this second time, I approached him and kindly asked him to explain why he's doing what he's doing. I got this response: "I'll be dammed if I ever have to explain anything to you, as if you're something important." He then preceeded to dare me to replace him and he also threatened to quit on his own. I didn't want to go that far - yet - but how much longer of a leash would you have with this guy? This is a partial keeper league (4 keepers per).

And no, he never offered to explain himself, didn't apologize etc.

his attitude seems to be pretty self explanatory in how u should deal with the situation...im guessin the league is a non money league...

replace him and dont even waste anymore time with this guy...

Actually, that's the last thing you're responsible for. The only thing you're really responsible for is to make sure no one cheats and to take care of logistical issues.

Starting injured players can be a sign of cheating or collusion, of course.

Every team has a responsibility to the league to try to put a decent lineup out there every week. Of course, sometimes this is not possible (you may have half your team on a bye week, or just not want to drop anyone), but the situation is certainly worth monitoring.

People who argue with the paragraph above -- would you object if your league was decided because one team just decided to rest all of their players for a few weeks?

I m a commish in my league. This week my opp. had Lamont Jordan as his startin RB2, hurt and on a bye. The league is all my boys and they all hate on the kid cuz I m 4-1 now, so I put Portis in for him. Couple guys said I shouldnt have done it, but really I wouldnt have felt good beating a team that didnt have its lineup set. While it is his fault, I believe as commish you have to keep the integrity of the league. Lesson learned, next year this particular manager is gone.

you gotta put your opinions and feelings aside when you are a comish

if he is a crappy fantasy player, but consistent, then thier is not colusion, just a bad fantasy owner

You cant really kick someone out mid season anyone. next year see what happens. I have found that people that really dont have the interest in paying attention will drop out of a serious league anyway

I m a commish in my league. This week my opp. had Lamont Jordan as his startin RB2, hurt and on a bye. The league is all my boys and they all hate on the kid cuz I m 4-1 now, so I put Portis in for him. Couple guys said I shouldnt have done it, but really I wouldnt have felt good beating a team that didnt have its lineup set. While it is his fault, I believe as commish you have to keep the integrity of the league. Lesson learned, next year this particular manager is gone.

Yeah, you definitely shouldn't have done that.

Starting injured players can be a sign of cheating or collusion, of course.

That's what i said in my earlier replies

People who argue with the paragraph above -- would you object if your league was decided because one team just decided to rest all of their players for a few weeks?

Show me where that is against the rules.

As a commisioner of a league 2 years running, it doesn't sound like too big of a deal. Since we all don't know the circumstances surrounding his reaction or what was really said, it doesn't sound like he's doing anything wrong except being testy. He had a full lineup, injured or not, so he was following the rules. I don't think it warrants any kicking him out of the league thoughts.. just yet. Maybe he didn't want to be told what to do.

In the 100k thing, I played Warner, even though Leinart was starting, so if I was in your league, would I have been approached about playing him over Leinart? I had an idea that Leinart wouldn't last more then a quarter - not do to injury, but cause he isn't cutting it this year and I thought he would try to overcomepnsate and end up making mistakes (INTs, fumbles) and they would put Warner in quickly. My instinct worked... out-indirectly.

There was also chatter this Sunday morning about "media experts" saying this guy is playing, this guy isn't - it is difficult to know what is really up. So, maybe he wanted to gamble that Boldin would play, thinking maybe the team was using the injury iffiness as a ploy. Who knows.

If he fills a player for every position, then he IS paying attention, so there isn't much harm in it, is there? If this happens every week for a few more, then you have a beef, but this sounds harmless.

I only see collusion in this circumstance if there is money involved (year end payouts) and he was/is playing against a team he is trying to help with the standings, but then you are only talking about 1 player.

Just relax and give it some time. Last thing I think you would want to do is make a bad league situation over a mangers preference to take a shot on a listed IR player.

Good luck

As a commisioner of a league 2 years running, it doesn't sound like too big of a deal. Since we all don't know the circumstances surrounding his reaction or what was really said, it doesn't sound like he's doing anything wrong except being testy. He had a full lineup, injured or not, so he was following the rules. I don't think it warrants any kicking him out of the league thoughts.. just yet. Maybe he didn't want to be told what to do.

In the 100k thing, I played Warner, even though Leinart was starting, so if I was in your league, would I have been approached about playing him over Leinart? I had an idea that Leinart wouldn't last more then a quarter - not do to injury, but cause he isn't cutting it this year and I thought he would try to overcomepnsate and end up making mistakes (INTs, fumbles) and they would put Warner in quickly. My instinct worked... out-indirectly.

There was also chatter this Sunday morning about "media experts" saying this guy is playing, this guy isn't - it is difficult to know what is really up. So, maybe he wanted to gamble that Boldin would play, thinking maybe the team was using the injury iffiness as a ploy. Who knows.

If he fills a player for every position, then he IS paying attention, so there isn't much harm in it, is there? If this happens every week for a few more, then you have a beef, but this sounds harmless.

I only see collusion in this circumstance if there is money involved (year end payouts) and he was/is playing against a team he is trying to help with the standings, but then you are only talking about 1 player.

Just relax and give it some time. Last thing I think you would want to do is make a bad league situation over a mangers preference to take a shot on a listed IR player.

Good luck

THIS.

Great post.

Show me where that is against the rules.

It would be covered somewhere here in yahoo's version:

<< To this end, each fantasy team owner agrees that, by joining the game, they will abide by the following regulations:

• All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
  • No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
  • No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
  • No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
  • No owner will take any action whose purpose is, in any way, to interfere with fair play in a league.

While Yahoo! will not remove teams from leagues after they have drafted, failure to follow any of the items listed above may result in the limitation or removal of playing privileges for the offending participant(s). These restrictions may include:

• The suspension of specific game privileges (trading, message board posting, etc.) for the remainder of the season.
  • The suspension of ALL playing privileges for the remainder of the season.
  • The complete deactivation and removal of the corresponding Yahoo! account(s).
  • Any other action that Yahoo!, at its sole discretion, feels is necessary to restore fair play to the league.

It is the responsibility of team owners to monitor activity within their leagues. If, as an owner, you notice any suspicious or collusive activity in your league, please notify us at once so that we may investigate and take the appropriate action –- if any is deemed necessary -- against the offending team(s) and/or account(s). >>

I'd consider it a clear violation of "fair play" rule 5 (and at least the spirit if not the text).

You could undoubtedly get a lawyer to argue otherwise. I also wouldn't want anyone in the league who resorted to lawyer type behavior to argue against the spirit of any of the rules.

It would be covered somewhere here in yahoo's version:

<< To this end, each fantasy team owner agrees that, by joining the game, they will abide by the following regulations:

• All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
  • No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
  • No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
  • No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
  • No owner will take any action whose purpose is, in any way, to interfere with fair play in a league.

While Yahoo! will not remove teams from leagues after they have drafted, failure to follow any of the items listed above may result in the limitation or removal of playing privileges for the offending participant(s). These restrictions may include:

• The suspension of specific game privileges (trading, message board posting, etc.) for the remainder of the season.
  • The suspension of ALL playing privileges for the remainder of the season.
  • The complete deactivation and removal of the corresponding Yahoo! account(s).
  • Any other action that Yahoo!, at its sole discretion, feels is necessary to restore fair play to the league.

It is the responsibility of team owners to monitor activity within their leagues. If, as an owner, you notice any suspicious or collusive activity in your league, please notify us at once so that we may investigate and take the appropriate action –- if any is deemed necessary -- against the offending team(s) and/or account(s). >>

I'd consider it a clear violation of "fair play" rule 5 (and at least the spirit if not the text).

You could undoubtedly get a lawyer to argue otherwise. I also wouldn't want anyone in the league who resorted to lawyer type behavior to argue against the spirit of any of the rules.

I disagree that that is not within the spirit of the rules.

I sat my entire team the last two weeks of my H2H fantasy baseball regular season to line up the seeds in my favor, since I had clinched the 1 seed. Personally, I think I earned the right to do that by fielding a team so head and shoulders above the rest of the teams. It's just like when a team sits their players in week 16 or 17 after they clinch.

If not starting anyone were against the rules, it'd be easy for yahoo, espn, or whoever to design a fantasy interface to prevent that.

I disagree that that is not within the spirit of the rules.

I sat my entire team the last two weeks of my H2H fantasy baseball regular season to line up the seeds in my favor, since I had clinched the 1 seed. Personally, I think I earned the right to do that by fielding a team so head and shoulders above the rest of the teams. It's just like when a team sits their players in week 16 or 17 after they clinch.

If not starting anyone were against the rules, it'd be easy for yahoo, espn, or whoever to design a fantasy interface to prevent that.

I understand your point of view. I disagree with it nearly completely. Yours may well be within the majority opinion of fantasy owners, though.

I had a similar problem last year in my league, although it didn't start to occur until towards the end of the season, when playoff time was coming. What was happening was that a few teams who were mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs just stopped paying attention and left their lineups as is, even if they had guys starting who were out for the year. It was unfortunate when one team fighting for a playoff spot had the luxury of playing a team who was starting injured players, and another team fighting for a playoff spot did not have that same luxury.

As commish, I think one of the responsibilities is making the league is fair as possible. This year, at the draft, I made it clear that if, after the trade deadline (week 11 I think), a team was starting a player who was listed as "OUT", I would replace them with a player on the bench who was projected to have the highest scoring points for the week. For example, if Clinton Portis is listed as out, and the team who is starting him has Ladell Betts and Dominick Rhodes on the bench, with Ladell projected to have more points, I will put him in for the week. This will ensure that no team has a cake walk into the playoffs.

It's so early in the season for you, so I wouldn't start worrying about anything yet. Also, as stated above, Boldin was a game time decision. I would recommend posting a league message stating that you will begin replacing injured players after a certain week if they are listed as "OUT." If they are game-time decisions, there is not much you can do, but you can certainly prevent members of the league from ruining everyone else's chances and fun just because they are no longer in playoff contention. If the league members don't like it, I think that's too bad. It's part of your responsibility as commish to make sure that the league runs as smoothly and fairly as possible.