LyondellBasell

Brett Anderson 2013 Outlook

watching the game, i think he legitimately throws 65% sliders.

Edited by Bruz

Fell to pieces. Thats what happens when you walk a mediocre lefty like Ackley. Let him beat you, don't walk him.

This is a guy who does not walk many people. What's up with all the walks tonight?

nice... let the guy throw 110 pitches opening day coming off TJ surgery lmao...

his arm will fall off again soon. the arm action on that slider is not pretty.

I agree no need for so many pitches early on, but overall not a bad start. 4 walks are a little high but not horrible. It was really that one bad inning that cost him but he managed to only give up 2 runs.

He got unlucky he had to face King Felix otherwise his team might have given him a few runs. Overall I think he will have a great year.

He has a new arm, it shoudl be good for 3 to 5 more years :)

I am curious to see how many sliders he threw tonight. He was throwing it in literally every count. Even when behind 3-1 he was throwing the slider. You like to see him have confidence in it but I swear he threw 45+% sliders tonight.

I've never been more frustrated watching someone. He was attacking the 1-7 guys and then he acted like Ackley and Ryan were Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. Anderson usually has pretty good control, it seemed like he was cruising and then maybe he tried to be too fine since Felix was pitching a perfect game. After the two runs scored, he seemed to motor right on through again, maybe the pressure was off?

• Like 1

It looked to me like he couldn't locate his fastball at all last night. Several times Jaso set up inside and he missed high and away. I think that's why you saw so many sliders/curveballs tonight. Considering how bad his fastball looked I was pretty impressed with that start.

He came off TJ surgery months ago. He can handle that many pitches.

According to Brooks Baseball...Anderson threw 33 sliders last night.

As far as his TJS, he had that surgery in June of 2011...so he is pretty far removed from that to where him throwing over a 100 pitches shouldn't matter. I am only surprised they let him throw that many pitches because of the time he missed during spring training due to that collision.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=4&day=1&year=2013&game=gid_2013_04_01_seamlb_oakmlb_1%2F&pitchSel=474463&prevGame=gid_2013_04_01_seamlb_oakmlb_1%2F&prevDate=41

Edited by PepperPot

He's nearly 2 years removed from the surgery. Its not like he had it last month.

Just because the Nats are treating Strasburg with kid gloves doesnt mean every pitcher that has had TJ should be treated the same way.

I've never been more frustrated watching someone. He was attacking the 1-7 guys and then he acted like Ackley and Ryan were Babe Ruth and Ted Williams.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw it. In the context of his start it was <puzzling> to say the least.

I'm thrilled with his start overall though. When he's healthy I'm the one owning him.

Just took a comebacker off his hand. Looked like he had to convince Melvin and the trainer to let him stay in. Keeps licking his thumb. Looks like his nail is damaged. Hope it doesn`t affect his control.....

Gotta love those Astros. 8 Ks thru 5 innings.

• Like 1

Just took a comebacker off his hand. Looked like he had to convince Melvin and the trainer to let him stay in. Keeps licking his thumb. Looks like his nail is damaged. Hope it doesn`t affect his control.....

Brett Anderson underwent precautionary X-rays on his left thumb following Sunday's win over the Astros.

Anderson was hit by a comebacker on his left hand but was able to finish the game. The Athletics are calling it a thumb contusion and don't believe it's anything too serious.

I'm so PO'ed at myself for sitting him this week...so stupid.

Why would you do that vs. SEATTLE and HOUSTON??

• Like 1

lemme get this straight ... he staid in the game after hurting his thumb, right? the combacker did not force him to leave, yes?

lemme get this straight ... he staid in the game after hurting his thumb, right? the combacker did not force him to leave, yes?

No it happened in the 2nd inning I think. So he stayed in for awhile after. He even took another one off his hand later in the game. He is not the smoothest fielding pitcher in the league......

I wouldn't dare leave the game if I had the opportunity to face Brett "Little Big League" Wallace multiple times. Smart decision by BA.

No it happened in the 2nd inning I think. So he stayed in for awhile after. He even took another one off his hand later in the game. He is not the smoothest fielding pitcher in the league......

Yeah, it was early in the game. He pitched like 5 more innings after the injury and was still mowing people down. I wouldn't be too concerned.