PRoSPx

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

That's what so frustrating about this guy, you never know when to sit/start

soooooooooooo true! I finally rid myself of the headache.

God, if we have to rely on this guy in the playoffs, if we make the playoffs, the A's are screwed.

God, if we have to rely on this guy in the playoffs, if we make the playoffs, the A's are screwed.

But he's soooo good!

But he's soooo good!

This ain't the PCL sweetheart!

Not saying anything, but it seems like this dude never goes against an easy lineup.. always tough matchups

Not saying anything, but it seems like this dude never goes against an easy lineup.. always tough matchups

Straily probably has had the least favorable schedule in the MLB. At least the least favorable schedule that I've noticed, by a wide margin.

Straily probably has had the least favorable schedule in the MLB. At least the least favorable schedule that I've noticed, by a wide margin.

Quoting this for truth. Monday will be the fourth time he has faced Texas this year. That's what happens when you pitch in the AL West though.

Pulled after 5 and 91 pitches.. I think he easily could of gone 6, but whatever

Edited by mpbaseball22

So fighting for a playoff spot the A's decide to pull Straily after 103 pitches - ok. Now, with Otero pitching like crap, they decide to give him a heck of a leash as he falls behind every hitter - I don't see anyone warming.

I hope they miss the playoffs.

Otero promptly boots what would have been an easy DP or an easy out at home.

2-1. Unreal. At least they pull this guy now.

Edited by NoClownQuestionsBro

So fighting for a playoff spot the A's decide to pull Straily after 103 pitches - ok. Now, with Otero pitching like crap, they decide to give him a heck of a leash as he falls behind every hitter - I don't see anyone warming.

What? You hope the A's miss the playoffs now because the pen might blow a Straily win? Let me guess, you need the win from him right? As an A's fan, I now hope YOU miss the playoffs. But I digress

Straily pitched a gem today, nice to see him back on track, for how long, we can only hope it lasts through the A's playoff push and beyond.

What? You hope the A's miss the playoffs now because the pen might blow a Straily win? Let me guess, you need the win from him right? As an A's fan, I now hope YOU miss the playoffs. But I digress

Straily pitched a gem today, nice to see him back on track, for how long, we can only hope it lasts through the A's playoff push and beyond.

I don't play head to head.

I just think it's idiotic managing and it's not the first time it has happened. Even the announcers commented on the peculiar complacency the A's are showing. Why are you pretending you have a 10 game lead on the Rangers? You're up one game. And 4 in the WC. You can very well miss the playoffs. Manage these 2-0 games like 2-0 games.

I'm not watching, so i dont know if this applies, but Melvin has had the strategy of yanking Straily anytime afte 90+ or so pitches if he even gets in the slightest trouble, because he tends to blow up once he gets there. This is about the 5th start in a row that he's done that.

I'm not watching, so i dont know if this applies, but Melvin has had the strategy of yanking Straily anytime afte 90+ or so pitches if he even gets in the slightest trouble, because he tends to blow up once he gets there. This is about the 5th start in a row that he's done that.

I didn't know that. I've watched a bunch of A's games because I own Cespy but I guess I never picked up on that. He's a pretty crappy bullpen guy. And it's infuriating to own some of these starters on the A's. I just don't get why he doesn't manage more aggressively. You have a ton of good arms out there. Try and match up with Sean lefty/lefty occasionally. Jeez.

It was a clownish statement bro to wish they miss the playoffs because of the way the professional managers run their teams.

I'm just tickled to see Dan pitching the way some of us hoped he'd pitch all season, playoffs be damned. I'd really like to see some consistency from him instead of the 2 faces of Straily we've seen all season. A good run here and there while putting up non QS most of the time.

It was a clownish statement bro to wish they miss the playoffs because of the way the professional managers run their teams.

I'm just tickled to see Dan pitching the way some of us hoped he'd pitch all season, playoffs be damned. I'd really like to see some consistency from him instead of the 2 faces of Straily we've seen all season. A good run here and there while putting up non QS most of the time.

Actually it's not. There's a direct correlation between a manager's bone head decisions and winning or losing games. So yes, I do hope they lost a ton of games down the stretch because of their bonehead manager and I hope he gets fired for managing the bullpen like a 12 year old playing MLB THE SHOW.

Cook is warm. Doolittle allows a baserunner. Righties due up. Ryan Cook has a .439 OPS against vs righties. Doolittle .625 and already at 20+ pitches.

I get that Castro is up now and all but a smart manager likely brings in Cook to pitch through the righties in the 8th and match up with Doolittle/Castro in the 9th. But Melvin isn't all that smart and I hope it costs him the playoffs and gets him fired.

And yes I'm aware it worked today and it has worked a ton of other times. But it's just not the smartest way to manage your team. Now Doolittle, after having to navigate through righties where he is less effective, is probably unavailable tomorrow. Cook could have been used over Otero and likely dominates the same bottom half that Otero stumbled through.

Edited by NoClownQuestionsBro

I didn't know that. I've watched a bunch of A's games because I own Cespy but I guess I never picked up on that. He's a pretty crappy bullpen guy. And it's infuriating to own some of these starters on the A's. I just don't get why he doesn't manage more aggressively. You have a ton of good arms out there. Try and match up with Sean lefty/lefty occasionally. Jeez.

Yeah, Melvin's been yanking him very early. I think he only has been eligible for a QS in like 2 of his 7 or 8 starts. I don't know why he would use Otero who totally stinks, but the whole pen has been a mess. Balfour has sucked recently, Doolittle's had his problems, and Anderson is being used sparingly.

7ip, 2h with only 1bb, oh, add in 7 K's too boot. Dominate performance today. Reason he gets pulled early at times is he doesn't always have the control and or command. Doesn't matter what his pitch count is, without those 2 facets of the game, Melvin has made the correct choice in almost every instance. I can understand being frustrated when things don't go according to our wishes regarding our fantasy teams, but Melvin gets paid big bucks to run a professional team, not ours. 99% of baseball fans will agree that Melvin is doing a great job running the A's, potentially 2 playoff trips in a row after missing them for 5 years....I think he does know a little about how to run a team.

Edited by FISH ON
  • Like 1

lets take a closer look at Straily's last 10 starts:

7/20: @LAA..7ip, 8h, 2r, 2er, 0bb, 4k 97 pitches

7/25: LAA..4.1ip, 7h, 5r, 5er, 2bb, 5k 84 pitches... would you leave him in? didn't think so

7/30 Tor 4.2ip, 6h, 5r, 2er, 2bb, 2k 96 pitches, again, he was done

8/6 @Cinn 4ip, 6h, 2r, 2er, 1bb, 3k, 75 pitches this is the only game I agree he was pulled a tad early

8/12 @Tor 7.1ip, 6h, 1r, 1er, 3bb, 5k, 94 pitches

8/17 Cle 5.2ip, 6h, 3r,3er, 4bb, 7k 103 pitches

8/23 @Balt 3.1ip, 4h, 6r, 6er, 4bb, 2k 79 pitches. zero command, zero control, got lit up

8/28 @ Det 6ip, 8h, 1r, 1er, 2bb, 4k, 103 pitches, went as deep as he could

9/2 Tex 5ip, 3h, 2r, 2er, 3bb, 4k 91 pitches

todays game 7ip, 2h, 0r, 1bb, 7k 103 pitches

point is, Melvin is managing this kid, as well as his team, Straily is still only 24, why burn him out when his stuff isn't there? At times, Melvin actually has left him in a bit too long when he just didn't have it. I watch almost every A's game, whether it be on TV or in person, I do not box-score watch then try to evaluate like is done way too much here, not just for Straily, but for many players.

I hope Straily can remain healthy and continues to mature, overuse when it's not needed is counter productive, for any pitcher. I always read where posters are screaming for the pitcher to be removed time and time again when they're ineffective, but not for superman Straily, (sarcasm button pushes) But this Straily thread has been one of the most volitile threads on this forum all season, when he does great, silence, when he doesn't, all the haters show up..Take the good with the bad, micro manage your team and be thankful for the good starts, vent after the bad, but don't wish punishment for the whole team when you don't agree with a managers decisions. Armchair managing is the easiest job in the world, you're never wrong :rolleyes:

Peace out

I respect your opinion, I still think Melvin is a moron. And I hope his bonehead mistakes force him out of the playoffs. And I'm not "armchair managing." I'm criticizing him before he fails not after the fact really. Which is what i consider armchair managing - criticizing when something goes wrong.

Straily looks good and I get managing his pitch count. That wasn't my problem.

Just picked him up for the playoffs. He's at Texas during my bye but after that faces the angels at home and away then finishes at Seattle. How do you think he will fare?