Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYR Fan 116894

Robert Stephenson - SP CIN

Drafted in 2011, Robert Stephenson is currently in Class A within the Reds system, specifically the Dayton Dragons.

He's 6'2 190 lbs and is 20 years old. Threw 2 straight no hitters in high school. But it seems like he is a long long long way from the MLB. Kid has a 4.05 ERA so far this year in Class A, but he does have an 11.5 K/9 rate. From what I can gather, it seems like he has a real good FB in the high 90's, but needs to work on his secondary pitches. Here are some highlights of him:

Still in A, but has lowered the ERA all the way down to 3.32. Here are his stats:

5-3, 3.32 ERA, 59.2 IP, 49 H, 16 BB, 77 K. Kid has a 11.6 K/9 rate.

Still a long way to go before possibly making it to the majors, but Stephenson has great potential.

i've read that if he develops secondary pitches he's got number 1 or number 2 starter potential.....if not he'll be a good bullpen option.

i like those strikeout numbers.

Stephenson strained his hamstring, and has been placed on the DL in the minors. Injury is not serious though.

From rotoworld:

"Reds prospect right-hander Robert Stephenson returned from the disabled list (hamstring) and allowed three unearned runs on two hits over 3 2/3 innings for Low-A Dayton."

"The 20-year-old was held to a 65-pitch limit in his first start in the last month after landing on the disabled list with a hamstring injury on June 10. The hard-throwing right-hander was prevented from working deep into the game due to poor defense, though he was understandably rusty after spending a month on the shelf. Still, Stephenson has been dominant over his last 10 outings with a 1.87 ERA, 35 hits allowed and 68/16 K/BB in 57 2/3 innings."

Good to see him doing well over his last 10 starts or so.

Stephenson's line from yesterday's start

6.2 innings

2 hits

0 ER

1 bb

8 ks

He needs to move up. He hasnt been challenged in two months.

Stephenson's line from yesterday's start

6.2 innings

2 hits

0 ER

1 bb

8 ks

He needs to move up. He hasnt been challenged in two months.

RS moved up to high A ball.

This kid's not getting nearly the love he should be, perhaps because of his low first round draft position. Potential for two 70 pitches in the FB and the CU with the CH flashing as 60 pitch. Those type of combos don't come around very often. Giolito's ultimate ceiling may be a tick higher, but the hype on Giolito is due to the fact that he may have two 70 pitches. Yet Stephenson may do the same thing, but no one's talking.

The other impressive thing to me is he doesn't walk hardly anyone -- 156/35 K/BB across three levels in just over 114 IP.

Sign. Me. Up.

Stuff happens but I'm guessing next year julyish

Kid had it going in his first AA start last night; 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K. Hope he can keep this up. Stud in the making.

Maybe they bring him up with the Cingrani injury?

The Reds rotation is going to be in REAL nice shape with Stephenson and Lively coming up through the ranks. They are two of the top 5 SP prospects on my list.

I think with cingrani not missing that much time they won't bring him up yet

6.3ip, 5 hits,, 2 bbs, 5 k

5 consecutive good starts. Would love to see him get a shot in the near future.

Bump

Not until next year I wouldn't think, no room in the rotation for him unless someone gets hurt and even then they'd probably go back to Cingrani.

Bump

Not until next year I wouldn't think, no room in the rotation for him unless someone gets hurt and even then they'd probably go back to Cingrani.

I agree. They basically need two starters to get hurt, and even then they might just wait it out. If two of their starters go down they probably aren't making the playoffs anyway

I predict Stephenson, Cingrani, & Winkler or Ervin for Tulo.

Might take even more.

Then, his future will be complete sh^%!

how's this kid pitching lately? any projections as to his ceiling/floor? thx

His start last night:

7.0 3 0 1

He has 21Ks in his last 11.2 innings pitched.

Something has clicked.

Add in all keeper and dynasty formats where he might not be owned and try to buy low on an unaware owner of his recent turnaround.

another stellar outing. over his last 19.1 IP he's allowed 5 hits, 2 walks and 29 Ks.

Tonight: 8IP 1H 0ER 8K

64 of 89 pitches for strikes.

STUD

Guy is dialed in right now, and looks like he has turned a corner. Walks had been his big issue, but he may have figured it out.

His last 3 starts-

7IP 3H 2 ER 2BB 8K

8IP 1H 0ER 1BB 7K

7IP 3H 0ER 1 BB 10K

Before tonight's start, opponents were hitting .198 against him for the year, and just .135 the last month.