Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYR Fan 116894

Robert Stephenson - SP CIN

Really don't see ace upside with this guy. Why we so excited?

He has some of the best stuff in the minors. If he can maintain any sort of command of his fastball he could be a #1 or #2.

He has some of the best stuff in the minors. If he can maintain any sort of command of his fastball he could be a #1 or #2.

There is no way that is some of the best stuff in the minors. His fastball is above average at best. I do like his hard curve, it looks like a + pitch to me, but his changeup lacks great separation. His control is well below average at this point, but he's still young enough to improve. I don't see him as a #1 at all, possibly a 2 if control comes a long way.

There is no way that is some of the best stuff in the minors. His fastball is above average at best. I do like his hard curve, it looks like a + pitch to me, but his changeup lacks great separation. His control is well below average at this point, but he's still young enough to improve. I don't see him as a #1 at all, possibly a 2 if control comes a long way.

Above average at best? I've seen 70 grades on it!

I haven't seen his starts... but with that caveat out of the way, what I noticed on the velocity reports and what I've heard is that he's attempted to back it way down because he can't command the fastball. It's a beast when he fully unleashes his arm, he just has no idea where it's going.

The 70 grades on his FB came when he was just throwing it by people in the low minors. It's not the same pitch anymore because he can't command that 97+ pitch. He can command (sort of) a 93-94 version of it, which... just isn't the same pitch.

I haven't seen his starts... but with that caveat out of the way, what I noticed on the velocity reports and what I've heard is that he's attempted to back it way down because he can't command the fastball. It's a beast when he fully unleashes his arm, he just has no idea where it's going.

The 70 grades on his FB came when he was just throwing it by people in the low minors. It's not the same pitch anymore because he can't command that 97+ pitch. He can command (sort of) a 93-94 version of it, which... just isn't the same pitch.

Exactly. Just watch him I believe his FB velocity is around 60th for starters this year, just ahead of a Tanner Roark. It's still possible that he can harness his control enough where he can start throwing max velo again, but it's far from a given.

Well no. Today he's not super awesome. Since he intentionally toned down the effort. Its gonna take some time to find the area he can throw with command and velocity. He's suppose to have really good arm speed, and mechancies that do good to maximize body momentum.. In the long run, he SHOULD be able to throw and hard and not be so wild.. Then maybe the change up can start playing up instead of being junk..

Some fluff has been made command issues are someone mental/pitch selection..but a little quib fron Farnsworth shows a reason he's not hitting his spots:

He has excellent momentum toward the plate with great balance side-to-side. The biggest mechanical factor affecting his consistency is his hips never really getting to rotate all the way through. He doesn’t get the loose lower-half initiation with good separation from his upper body, giving his motion the look of fighting his front side.

He also said this:

The upside here is huge, and Stephenson has the athleticism to reasonably project command gains as he develops in the following years. I think he may take a year or two to show it, but I’m confident in him finding a way to make his elite stuff work. If he only mildly improves, he still projects as a number three or four starter or high-leverage reliever with his power arsenal.

So the Robert Stephenson you see today is only a 3-4 starter at best..but the room for growth is still very high. More than comparable pitchers that are current talent 3-4 starters..

Good post Slaty I'd agree with that assessment. The curve is a nice building block, if the control comes and he can ramp up the velo then he's a different guy.

This guy has really stunk it up this year in the minors....so inconsistent.