JohnR

Tyler Glasnow - SP PIT

2016 sound like a reasonable time to see him in the Show?

In any other organization maybe. But the Pirates will say he needs more seasoning if he doesn't sign a 10 year $45 million contract first.

Edited by macunit

1.91 era through the first half in A+. KRate down, BB rate the same and hit rate slightly up. Thoughts on him going forward? He is a tall glass of water, and it usually takes them longer to learn how to control their pitches.

.180 BAA. My god. Dont think we see him until 2016 but this dude has huuuuuge potential

6 IP, 11 Ks. 3rd straight start without allowing an earned run. Hopefully see him in AA very soon.

2016 sound like a reasonable time to see him in the Show?

He could be up in the 2nd half of 2015 even. He's dominating High A ball right now, so he'll likely start the season in AA next year. Elite pitching prospects jump out of AA to the bigs all the time. Pirates will probably have him pitch in AAA for a bit though. But if all goes well I see at least a cup of coffee in September 2015, if not an even longer look.

And another double digit strikeout performance!!!! This guy has been brutally dominate this year. Hopefully they move him up to AA to see some better hitting. Maybe late 2015 if he keeps this up.

^I think getting a few AA starts is much more beneficial than getting some post-season ball. I mean what does that even really matter - post season ball against players he's been dominating or getting challenged by more advanced hitters in AA.

If he stays in A-Ball it will be because the Pirates want him to end the season with high self confidence rather than ending the season scuffling in a couple AA starts and then having him wonder all off-season if he has it. If he debuts at AA next season and struggled his first few games, he'd have the whole season to develop and learn there and would be focusing on the next start in five days rather than dwelling on the last bad game for a whole off-season.

Last start: 7IP, 2H, 1BB, 8K's. Players are hitting .167 against him this season & .08 HR's per 9 IP

Edited by Yanksfan06

Whoa

"The 20-year-old right-hander has been especially dominant over his last eight starts, with a 0.56 ERA with 68 strikeouts in 48 1/3 innings. Meanwhile, opposing batters are hitting just .169/.249/.187 with two extra-base hits against him during that span."

Any chance for a call up if pirates make a run to the World Series?

No way.

That would be awesome, But I'm not sure if it's entirely out of the question.

Edited by FouLLine

No way.

Yes, its entirely out of the question. He's still just in A ball and still has some control issues.

No way.

Yes, its entirely out of the question. He's still just in A ball and still has some control issues.

Dominating Advanced A ball the way he is, he could already be MLB productive. If his innings are in line and The Pirates need him they could easily roster him for the playoffs, honestly they should roster him regardless of ever pitching him or not.

Yes not likely but extremely ignorant to say impossible.

No way.

Dominating Advanced A ball the way he is, he could already be MLB productive. If his innings are in line and The Pirates need him they could easily roster him for the playoffs, honestly they should roster him regardless of ever pitching him or not.

I don't disagree with "impossible". Kids tearing it up, but a jump from A Ball to a playoff race isn't happening.

No way.

I don't disagree with "impossible". Kids tearing it up, but a jump from A Ball to a playoff race isn't happening.

Especially with his command issues.

You guys keep saying A ball... He's in Advanced A ball, which is a big step up. Advanced A ball is quietly becoming the jump that everyone has viewed AA to be the last couple decades. While AA is now looking like the launching pad straight into the bigs for elite pitching prospects. Pitching translates a lot easier than hitting, baseball is a game made to be dominated by pitchers.

Glasnow could be in The Pirates bullpen right now and with likely odds be tgeir best bullpen arm. Risky sure, but does anyone hobestly think The Pirates are going to get far without cashing in on a risk like that?

So sure not the most likely but not out of the question. Honestly if I were running The Pirates I'd let him rip off 5 or so relief innings in the post season.

Everyone needs to calm down. Tyler works entirely off his fastball, its a nasty, dominant pitch. Unfortunately, his secondary stuff needs work. I wouldn't even call his change average yet. He would get eaten alive in a jump to the bigs.

Tyler will open in AA, he'll continue to work on his control, and will start working on his secondary offerings. This has been a terrific season for him, but he won't be up next year, you'll see him in 2016.

Also, the Pirates are one of the most conservative teams with promotions, they don't promote out of AA, not their organizational philosophy.

You guys keep saying A ball... He's in Advanced A ball, which is a big step up. Advanced A ball is quietly becoming the jump that everyone has viewed AA to be the last couple decades. While AA is now looking like the launching pad straight into the bigs for elite pitching prospects. Pitching translates a lot easier than hitting, baseball is a game made to be dominated by pitchers.

Glasnow could be in The Pirates bullpen right now and with likely odds be tgeir best bullpen arm. Risky sure, but does anyone hobestly think The Pirates are going to get far without cashing in on a risk like that?

So sure not the most likely but not out of the question. Honestly if I were running The Pirates I'd let him rip off 5 or so relief innings in the post season.

And this is why you post on rotoworld and don't run a MLB team. He's no where near ready to pitch against major league hitters. Have you watched an outing? An at bat? My guess is no, and that doesn't help your argument in any way shape or form. Yes, its out of the question.

In what world has advanced A ball, the FSL, a notoriously pitcher friendly league, beat the jump to AA ball? Dude seriously, calm down and look into things more. If Pittsburgh even considered this an option, he'd be up in AA weeks ago. He isn't. He isn't coming up. Its not an option unless the MLB staff and AAA staff get into a car accident, which god forbid never happens

Edited by usafiu

And this is why you post on rotoworld and don't run a MLB team. He's no where near ready to pitch against major league hitters. Have you watched an outing? An at bat? My guess is no, and that doesn't help your argument in any way shape or form. Yes, its out of the question.

In what world has advanced A ball, the FSL, a notoriously pitcher friendly league, beat the jump to AA ball? Dude seriously, calm down and look into things more. If Pittsburgh even considered this an option, he'd be up in AA weeks ago. He isn't. He isn't coming up. Its not an option unless the MLB staff and AAA staff get into a car accident, which god forbid never happens

So which MLB team do you run? Otherwise it's pretty silly to lob the "you post here and don't run a MLB team" attack when you'd be doing the exact same thing yourself.

Edited by Baseball Jonze

LOL I knew this would be the first thing someone said. Haha, no point to even mention that. Honestly I have no doubt I would be highly successful in someone's scouting department.

Let's discredit the FSL, cause the last guy to dominate it the way Glasnow has was Jose Fernandez.

Now there are subtle differences between them. Glasnow dominated for a larger sample, but was a year older. Glasnow also struck out nearly 1.5 batters more per 9!!

The reason it's dumb to not bring Glasnow up this year is risk reward.

Risk is absolutely nothing. What Glasnow's 5 - 6 relief innings cost The Pirates their playoff spot when they are 5 games out already? No.

If he is ready, maybe he even gets a start and absolutely lights it up. Or just crushes out of the pen. I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet he could at least match Crumpton and Stolmy Pimentel. Crumpton and Pimentel have combined for over 95 innings of 5+ ERA ball. What is the worst that could happen?

Also as far as inning limits go. He already pitched 111.33 last year and at 113.33 right now, he will honestly need September innings in the bigs if they are going to continue to increase his innings at a solid rate. I mean you want the kid to be ready to horse out 200 innings at the age of 22 if he's productive right?

LOL I knew this would be the first thing someone said. Haha, no point to even mention that. Honestly I have no doubt I would be highly successful in someone's scouting department.

Let's discredit the FSL, cause the last guy to dominate it the way Glasnow has was Jose Fernandez.

Now there are subtle differences between them. Glasnow dominated for a larger sample, but was a year older. Glasnow also struck out nearly 1.5 batters more per 9!!

The reason it's dumb to not bring Glasnow up this year is risk reward.

Risk is absolutely nothing. What Glasnow's 5 - 6 relief innings cost The Pirates their playoff spot when they are 5 games out already? No.

If he is ready, maybe he even gets a start and absolutely lights it up. Or just crushes out of the pen. I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet he could at least match Crumpton and Stolmy Pimentel. Crumpton and Pimentel have combined for over 95 innings of 5+ ERA ball. What is the worst that could happen?

Also as far as inning limits go. He already pitched 111.33 last year and at 113.33 right now, he will honestly need September innings in the bigs if they are going to continue to increase his innings at a solid rate. I mean you want the kid to be ready to horse out 200 innings at the age of 22 if he's productive right?

It wasn't honestly meant as an attack, or a way to diminish what you said. Just saying, we both post here and are not in a MLB front office, for whatever reason.

You say things so matter of fact, when in essence, you are only stating your opinion. Opinions are fine, great in a forum such as this, but saying that he'd be better than someone else is in fact an opinion. You don't know if he would be. I don't know that he wouldn't be either.

I for one think he's going to be fantastic, if not dominant. But again, its my opinion, not a fact. We don't have a lot of data as of yet to point one way or another. Glasnow and J-Fer are very different pitchers. To compare them, while it has merit to a degree, discounts many other factors. From what I've personally seen of Glasnow, if he were to come up right now, his breaking ball wouldn't fool many hitters in my opinion, as he dips it far out of the zone, meaning its left for him to beat hitters with the fastball. That's a tough thing for any pitcher to do, let alone one who hasn't thrown one pitch to AA hitters as of yet. He needs to still learn how to pitch, not just throw. His stuff has carried him thus far. Let's see how he does against advanced hitters before at least I anoint him as even a serviceable major leaguer.

As for an innings limit, I never mentioned one, but I'm sure Pittsburgh has a plan in place. I for one would NOT want him to throw 200 innings as a 22 year old. But if I were in charge of the Pirates, I would have moved him to AA last month, hoping he can continue his dominance. If he shows me enough, then yes, I would be hopeful he could be useful in September for the big league club. But I'm not in charge, and although I think id be successful as well (and hopefully so would you FoulLine) I wouldn't say without a doubt I would be, and I'm terribly arrogant. My entire point behind everything was that based on everything that we know as of today, there is no feasible way that Pittsburgh promotes him to the big leagues this season. Right or wrong in our opinion, its the way it looks today.