Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Gregory Polanco - OF PIT

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, April 19, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, April 19, 2014 - No reason given

nooooooo i'm out of moves for the week!

Tabata is being helped off of the field after hitting the wall hard on a catch. May not be anything, but boy am I thinking about grabbing Polanco now.

Yeah I'm seriously contemplating the same thing. Now that Springer has broken the 'call up barrier' maybe the Pirates are more willing to call Polanco up now that there may be an injury.

Isn't Tabata just playing backup though?

Platoon with Snider.

Isn't Tabata just playing backup though?

I'd call it a pseudo-platoon. I think it's one of those situations where Tabata has been playing less because Snider has been playing better so far, but it could swing the other direction if that balance of performance shifts throughout the season.

That said, it could get interesting because the Pirates are scuffling so badly that they may feel the pressure to do something to change their offensive fortunes. I still thing they are too cheap to do it because of the millions of dollars of risk, but stranger things have certainly happened.

Even more reason to not get excited about Polanco just yet.

I know Pitt is cost conscious, but you really have to wonder if a DL stint for Tabata provides the impetus for a Polanco callup to energize a team batting 230/300/400 with 57 runs.

Again, not jumping to any conclusions. Just trying to think logically here *Abraham Lincoln pose*

Tabata experiencing mild concussion symptoms.

Pirates scuffling.

Cutch dealing with minor back and ankle injuries.

Picked up Polanco. Just in case. Pirates are super cheap though. Cheaper than the Astros. #YOLO

Tabata experiencing mild concussion symptoms.

Pirates scuffling.

Cutch dealing with minor back and ankle injuries.

Picked up Polanco. Just in case. Pirates are super cheap though. Cheaper than the Astros. #YOLO

I think I'm going this route. Can't the Pirates just do their undermarket 6yr contract if he's a star, rendering the super 2 year useless? I think Polanco would take that say in 2015 if he's all that. Man I'm way overthinking this.

I just can't wait for Polanco to be scratched from AAA tonight, it would be too late.

I think he gets the call. Pirates offence has been consistently awful in the early going. Getting shut out by a division rival this afternoon to drop them under .500 -- how can't they be at least considering it?

I can't remember for sure but did McCutchen get called early his first season? Part of me thinks he was... or I'm just looking for excuses to make the add.

They waited until Super 2 passed (June) with McCutchen. Same with Cole last year...

They're as cheap as it gets.

They waited until Super 2 passed (June) with McCutchen. Same with Cole last year...

They're as cheap as it gets.

All very true. Just seems they are a team with expectations this year. Fan base growing. Raise the Jolly Roger! That's the basis for my thinking there's a small chance at the immediate call up.

Highly highly highly doubt he is called up if Tabata goes on the DL, but if you got the spot you should use it just in case. Snider isnt the problem in the offense. Polanco does not need to come up right now and he wont, when Snider starts struggling, and Polanco keeps destroying the ball the fans WILL make it known that they want Polanco in RF. Thats when he will be called up

There are probably 200 RW forum followers on twitter hoping to be tonight's Blood Brother and break the news of the call up.

I am mainly picking him up, because if I don't someone else will. It's early enough in the season that I can wait it out for at lease a week, before I decide I have to drop him.

Don't be shocked of anything right now. One team makes a move (Astros called up Springer) and others follow, especially when they think they need a spark, and they know every game matters.

Listening to the radio guys, they are listing about 6 options for the Pirates RF spot and none of which are Polanco. Dickerson, Decker, maybe even Ishikawa playing some RF. Really dont think this is Polancos time

Listening to the radio guys, they are listing about 6 options for the Pirates RF spot and none of which are Polanco. Dickerson, Decker, maybe even Ishikawa playing some RF. Really dont think this is Polancos time

To be fair, no one thought it was Stringer time until,about midnight EST last night. If you can get him and hold him for a couple days now for free, it's probably wise to do so before the feeding frenzy.

He's a hold even if its for another month

To be fair, no one thought it was Stringer time until,about midnight EST last night. If you can get him and hold him for a couple days now for free, it's probably wise to do so before the feeding frenzy.

I definitely agree if you got the spot the bet thing to do is pick up and hold, but I really really just dont see it happening. Snider hasnt been the problem with the offense, and even though Polanco is destroying AAA ball right now hes had significantly less time than Springer

Polanco and Springer are only comparable by age, and slightly speed, but really they are completely different. Springer I think will always be the better fantasy player, Polanco the better real player. He has an incredible strike zone and contact ability.

Service time isn't really there with Polanco yet though. Obviously it's a possibility. Most people didn't think Puig would get the call last year, and he did. If you have the spot and it doesn't hurt you, it's a solid move, but chances are that he won't be called up.

Springer is the exception not the rule when it comes to call ups.

Polanco and Springer are only comparable by age, and slightly speed, but really they are completely different. Springer I think will always be the better fantasy player, Polanco the better real player. He has an incredible strike zone and contact ability.

Service time isn't really there with Polanco yet though. Obviously it's a possibility. Most people didn't think Puig would get the call last year, and he did. If you have the spot and it doesn't hurt you, it's a solid move, but chances are that he won't be called up.

Springer is the exception not the rule when it comes to call ups.

Well a few years back the Angels called up Trout and next thing you know the Nats called up Harper...Pretty sure most didn't expect Harper up that soon. Money means a lot in this business, but IMO winning should mean the most. The question is, does Polanco make the Pirates better right now?

If they think he'll help them make the playoffs I'm sure they will call him up. Playoff revenue + winning games and keeping momentum in that market is probably of great importance to that franchise.