Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Gregory Polanco - OF PIT

Oh just another 3 hits, 4 RBI, HR, and SB whatever whatever.

^ whoops, apparently I'm not the only watcher

so mad i missed out on this guy b/c i was out of moves for the week in both of my leagues...

sounds like he's going to be a fun one to own.

Early May call ups seem to be the norm for the elite prospects, although not the norm with the Pirates.

Hopefully they break the trend this year.

Early May call ups seem to be the norm for the elite prospects, although not the norm with the Pirates.

Hopefully they break the trend this year.

Seriously. If he continues this pace, and the Pirates continue to play below .500 ball with minimal offense (.238 team BA and dropping tonight), how long can they possibly wait before the fans storm the front office?

8th inning 3 for 5 homer a steal and 4 rbi

He clearly isn't ready.

Unfortunately for Polanco the Pirates scored a run tonight so they should be fine for the time being.

Needs to be called up

The Pirates are so damn cheap. Do they really need to save a few bucks when there trotting out Travis Snider and Jose Tabata to RF on a daily basis? They need a strong #1 and #2 hitter in the lineup and Polanco would slot right in there. Marte is a talent but he really shouldn't be leading off due to his lack of plate discipline.

They wrapped up McCutcheon and Marte with long term deals. They should bring up Polanco now and worry about the abratration / contract issue later.

The Pirates problem right now is starting pitching. If that rights itself (especially Liriano and Morton) then they will be fine. All their games so far have been in the division, so it will be nice for the pitchers to be able to face some batters who know less about them. I don't think anyone in the organization sees a reason to promote Polanco early. Snider has been playing well and Tabata forms the other half of a decent platoon.

Pirates fans also understand the economic realities of the team. We're generally supportive of the need to keep that extra arbitration year.

The Pirates problem right now is starting pitching. If that rights itself (especially Liriano and Morton) then they will be fine. All their games so far have been in the division, so it will be nice for the pitchers to be able to face some batters who know less about them. I don't think anyone in the organization sees a reason to promote Polanco early. Snider has been playing well and Tabata forms the other half of a decent platoon.

Pirates fans also understand the economic realities of the team. We're generally supportive of the need to keep that extra arbitration year.

So you're telling me that the Pirates and you as a fan you would much rather them possibly miss out on the playoffs by 2-3 games, that Polanco's speed/bat/defense/addition to the line-up/throwing arm could have helped you win, all so you can save a little $$$??

It's all about now. Nobody knows what could happen next week or 4 years from now. With all young players signing deals early, if I was the Pirates I wouldn't be concerned about maybe saving a few bucks down the line, odds are if he's good enough they'll be buying those years out anyways.

I am looking for that call up the first week of may....Pirates need a jolt I know it you know it they know it....and if they make the call I look for the cards to follow suit with OT just because and becomes like the weekend trout and harper both got the call around the same time

Another 2 runs scored by the Pirates tonite in their loss to the Reds ... they're now 9-13 after starting the season 6-3

It won't happen before June guys. Wishing will not make it so. This is Polanco's first year at the AAA level.

Neal Huntington Show Sunday on 93.7 The Fan:

"Huntington said that Polanco still has some time before he’s ready for the show. The Bucs GM provided the analysis that Andrew McCutchen had a large number of plate appearances at Triple A and then had success at the big league level. He also mentioned Neil Walker’s success with extended time in Triple-A. The GM then said Pedro Alvarez spent three months in AAA and has had some ups and downs.

It sure sounded like Huntington thinks there is a direct connection to how much time is spent at Triple A and success in the big leagues.

In other words, Polanco isn’t headed to Pittsburgh anytime soon. So for now, we will just have to devour the MiLB website for highlights of Polanco’s work. (His latest work includes snapping the neck of a lefty)

Last night was Polanco’s 10th multi-hit game, he leads the International League in BA with a .419, and first with 31 hits. The best stat from MiLB is this one: NO Minor Leaguer with as many at-bats as his 74 is hitting at a higher clip."

It won't happen before June guys. Wishing will not make it so. This is Polanco's first year at the AAA level.

Neal Huntington Show Sunday on 93.7 The Fan:

"Huntington said that Polanco still has some time before he’s ready for the show. The Bucs GM provided the analysis that Andrew McCutchen had a large number of plate appearances at Triple A and then had success at the big league level. He also mentioned Neil Walker’s success with extended time in Triple-A. The GM then said Pedro Alvarez spent three months in AAA and has had some ups and downs.

It sure sounded like Huntington thinks there is a direct connection to how much time is spent at Triple A and success in the big leagues.

In other words, Polanco isn’t headed to Pittsburgh anytime soon. So for now, we will just have to devour the MiLB website for highlights of Polanco’s work. (His latest work includes snapping the neck of a lefty)

Last night was Polanco’s 10th multi-hit game, he leads the International League in BA with a .419, and first with 31 hits. The best stat from MiLB is this one: NO Minor Leaguer with as many at-bats as his 74 is hitting at a higher clip."

Alvarez had 101 games at AAA and between the two seasons there hit .256 and .277. For Huntington to make that comparison is mind boggling.

Scouting aside, this is the worst run organization in professional sports, and I've been a Clippers fan since 1995.

I feel sorry for die hard Pirates fans. Such a great franchise that's been completely railroaded by penny pinching greed.

Scouting aside, this is the worst run organization in professional sports, and I've been a Clippers fan since 1995.

I feel sorry for die hard Pirates fans. Such a great franchise that's been completely railroaded by penny pinching greed.

Yep. Pretty much sums it up. My sister goes to Pitt, it's amazing how much of a sports town it is. Yet the Pirates drive the fans away by putting a group of clowns out there. Mercer, Barmes, Stewart, Tabata, Snider, Volquez(don't worry, the walk 40 men a game version will reappear soon) etc, etc.

That's fine, let him get his ABs in AAA. Meanwhile, keep losing 1 and 2 run games.

Exactly. Huntingdon cannot compare Polanco's situation to any other player's. A few years ago they could afford to let players get ABs in AAA since they were going to finish way under .500 regardless. There has never been a time I can remember where they need a shot in the arm to save a sinking ship as there is right now. After last year, they really need to show the fans that they are committed to winning now. They could be out of contention by June.

I think it's funny that GMs make statements like that thinking everyone else is dumb enough to believe them. Then, all of these prospects suddenly have enough "seasoning" come June of every year.

Perhaps they say we bring you up if you sign an extension now.

I'm pretty sure the union would have something to say about that kind of practice.

Perhaps they say we bring you up if you sign an extension now.

I'm pretty sure the union would have something to say about that kind of practice.

Yeah you're right. Ownership has to ask themselves if 2 months is worth alientating the fans

"Moves will be made when they need to be made... if they need to be made.."

Clint Hurdle interview when asked if a player from Indianapolis would help. Just dont see him coming up before june

It's insane how he is still down. This offense needs a jolt.

I'm doing pretty well in my league where you can keep up to 6, but lose that many round picks. So at the very best, Polanco would cost a 6th rounder next year.

I think Polanco is going to be good, but I'm hoping the hype train takes off and sell high on him for pieces to guarantee me to place and a shot to win.

I think Mike Trout/Fernandez might have ruined realistic minor league player expectations. Anyone doing the same or are people confident he can be a top 30 or so OF from when he gets called up. Top 50 is surely useful in most leagues, but I think the hype train could allow for profit.

I'm doing pretty well in my league where you can keep up to 6, but lose that many round picks. So at the very best, Polanco would cost a 6th rounder next year.

I think Polanco is going to be good, but I'm hoping the hype train takes off and sell high on him for pieces to guarantee me to place and a shot to win.

I think Mike Trout/Fernandez might have ruined realistic minor league player expectations. Anyone doing the same or are people confident he can be a top 30 or so OF from when he gets called up. Top 50 is surely useful in most leagues, but I think the hype train could allow for profit.

I couldn't agree more.