Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

HR again, up to number 9 for the numbero uno prospect in the game

Any chance he finishes the year as the #1 ranked prospect?

I think Betts will finish #1 if Buxton doesn't again. Bryant strikes out too much to be the #1 prospect. But he might be the best power hitter in the minors right now. Probably between him and Gallo.

I think you need to include Sano in talks of best MiLB power hitter

Yeah I agree. Top 3 power hitters in the minors are Gallo, Sano, and Bryant. I'd rank them in that order in terms of pure power.

Only took 1 month to write off Baez, who has more bat speed than any of them.

Write off Baez? In my eyes Baez hasn't been top 3 in terms of pure power, and I never said he was. Clint Frazier is probably top 5 in bat speed, yet I wouldn't put him top 5 pure power.... So not sure where you're going with this bat speed comment, or writing off....

Cubs need to put Bryant in Triple A. AA is clearly no real competition. Let him go against more polished pitchers so he can work on that plate discipline before bringing him up and hopefully he can start Opening Day in 2015. That's my hope anyway.

Here's this from ESPN dated April 21st.

"Christopher Crawford

Don't expect Bryant in Chicago until around August

"It's only Week 3, and I'm running out of superlatives to describe Bryant's start to the 2014 season. The only concern about the first three weeks are the strikeouts, but when you've got extra-base hits and walks, it's more than a fair tradeoff, all things considered. Ideally, Bryant would get a call-up to Triple-A Iowa in the next few weeks, but keep in mind that plenty of players have gone from Double-A to the majors over the past few seasons. Just don't expect it until late this summer."

I don't think Bryant is #1 prospect in the game. His k-rate alone would keep him below tavernas buxton polanco etc. But I'll grant you he is moving up! He can't k 28% of the time in the minors though-- what will that translate to in mlb??

Stanton's k rate was 30% in the minors and he has fared pretty well. If Bryant were called up he wouldn't hit 300 but he could probably hit .260 with 25 bombs almost immediately.

In the future I think his average peaks around 280-290 with prodigious power.

Stanton's k- rate was 28% in A, 21% in high A, and 26% in AA and Stanton was THREE YEARS younger!!

Stanton's k- rate was 28% in A, 21% in high A, and 26% in AA and Stanton was THREE YEARS younger!!

I think Bryant and Stanton are pretty similar players from a future fantasy perspective. I also think he will be better than Taveras too in their careers thanks to that power and the fact he doesn't have injury concerns that I'm aware of. Even though Bryant will strike out more than you'd like, he doesn't strike out at a horrific rate like some guys, he takes plenty of walks, and he has double digit SB ability.

His current 2014 stats:

33 games, 119 AB, .328 average, 39:19 K:BB ratio, 28 runs, 9 homers, 24 RBI and 5 SB.

Even if he ends up like Jay Bruce, and is a .250-.260 hitter, that is not terrible. Expecting him to hit .290 with 40 HRs is a little crazy. But I feel good about him being a power-bat in fantasy.

If he hits .280 with 35 HRs, great! But if he hits .260 with 30 HR and 150 strikeouts...well that is still a top 10 3b or a top 30 Outfielder. Incredibly useful for fantasy.

Strikeouts are not everything. Look at Mike Moustakas.

If he hits .280 with 35 HRs, great! But if he hits .260 with 30 HR and 150 strikeouts...well that is still a top 10 3b or a top 30 Outfielder. Incredibly useful for fantasy.

I think a 260 average with 30 home runs (if we're assuming he's batting cleanup and is like at 85+ RBIs) is a top 3-5 OF in today's game. Throw out Miguel Cabrera since he wont have 1b next year and there's only a few guys who give you that of impact and most are on the tail ends of their career like Wright and Beltre. Donaldson is basically in his prime and Arenado is up and coming still. Todd Frazier is #4 on the player rater at 3b with a 265 average, 5 homers, and 3 steals.

I guess my point is just that if you can bank on high power numbers and a palatable average like 265, he's going to be a really strong fantasy asset rather than just hovering around #10. And obviously there is upside for more than 30 HR. Question is if he hits that high or is he another Pedro Alvarez.

I think a 260 average with 30 home runs (if we're assuming he's batting cleanup and is like at 85+ RBIs) is a top 3-5 OF in today's game. Throw out Miguel Cabrera since he wont have 1b next year and there's only a few guys who give you that of impact and most are on the tail ends of their career like Wright and Beltre. Donaldson is basically in his prime and Arenado is up and coming still. Todd Frazier is #4 on the player rater at 3b with a 265 average, 5 homers, and 3 steals.

I guess my point is just that if you can bank on high power numbers and a palatable average like 265, he's going to be a really strong fantasy asset rather than just hovering around #10. And obviously there is upside for more than 30 HR. Question is if he hits that high or is he another Pedro Alvarez.

Bryant is a very patient hitter and works the count pretty well. I think he will end up better than Alvarez for sure in the average department. He's a "patient hacker" if that makes any sense. He takes a lot of walks, will strikeout a lot as a result of working the count deep and having some swing and miss, and will hit a lot of homers. That's why I made the Stanton comparison in fantasy since he hits for a batting average of about 10-20 points higher than Bruce.

Bryant is a very patient hitter and works the count pretty well. I think he will end up better than Alvarez for sure in the average department. He's a "patient hacker" if that makes any sense. He takes a lot of walks, will strikeout a lot as a result of working the count deep and having some swing and miss, and will hit a lot of homers. That's why I made the Stanton comparison in fantasy since he hits for a batting average of about 10-20 points higher than Bruce.

Im actually curious about his patience since I own him in an OBP Dynasty league. Is he actually patient or is he getting intentionally walked a lot? Walk rates in the minors are sketch sometimes because the pitchers in general are less accurate. But his numbers look great so far, no doubt.

Im actually curious about his patience since I own him in an OBP Dynasty league. Is he actually patient or is he getting intentionally walked a lot? Walk rates in the minors are sketch sometimes because the pitchers in general are less accurate. But his numbers look great so far, no doubt.

Only 1 of his 19 walks so far have been IBB. I wish I could find a stat on his pitches per plate appearance though. 19 walks in 33 games is damn impressive though.

Alvarez numbers were pretty decent before he got his first call up in 2010... High BB rate, 22-24 K rate. Bryant has been showing a higher BA than Alvarez so far.

I would say his mean projection should be higher than Alvarez.

But, that is a realistic downside projection IMO.

Only 1 of his 19 walks so far have been IBB. I wish I could find a stat on his pitches per plate appearance though. 19 walks in 33 games is damn impressive though.

4.00 Pitches per Plate Appearance in AA

Stat Corner

http://statcorner.com/bat.php?id=592178

and Minor League Central (Pitches section)

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=592178

This sounds very much like Adam Dunn.

4.00 Pitches per Plate Appearance in AA

Stat Corner

http://statcorner.co...t.php?id=592178

and Minor League Central (Pitches section)

http://minorleaguece...ayer?pid=592178

That's a pretty good amount. Hopefully he can keep that up as he learns the pro game and adapts to pitchers. 4.00 would put him in a 3 way tie for 33rd in the MLB.

This sounds very much like Adam Dunn.

Giancarlo Stanton and Jay Bruce or almost anybody else should consider themselves lucky if they end up as good as Adam Dunn in fantasy when he was in his prime. Automatic 40/100/100 back in the day.

Even if he ends up like Jay Bruce, and is a .250-.260 hitter, that is not terrible. Expecting him to hit .290 with 40 HRs is a little crazy. But I feel good about him being a power-bat in fantasy.

Strikeouts are not everything. Look at Mike Moustakas.

They aren't everything but they are important, especially when your minor league k-rate would give you razor thin margin of error being successful in mlb even if those k rates got no worse in promotion to the majors. Yeah he could become Bruce or he could become Alvarez or he could just really struggle with a k rate over 30%. It's just something worth monitoring.

"Giancarlo Stanton and Jay Bruce or almost anybody else should consider themselves lucky if they end up as good as Adam Dunn in fantasy when he was in his prime. Automatic 40/100/100 back in the day."

He also chipped in a good handful of steals in each of those prime years and twice led the league in walks.

Fun Fact: In 2012, Dunn led the AL in both walks (105) and strikeouts (222).

On pace for 46 homers / 41 doubles / 138 runs / 120 rbi / 23 steals...

Oh and his slash line is:

.320/.428/.625 for an OPS of 1.053

Why is he still in AA?

I'm glad I dropped Baez for him. Hopefully Bryant can keep it up. The thing Bryant has that Baez doesn't is the patience to take a walk and work a count.

I'm glad I dropped Baez for him. Hopefully Bryant can keep it up. The thing Bryant has that Baez doesn't is the patience to take a walk and work a count.

Re-draft or Shallow Keeper I assume.

Neither of those guys are hanging around on the WW in any of my keepers and Bryant was the 1st overall pick in my dynasty last fall.

Heck, they are both owned in a lot of my re-draft leagues too.

Re-draft or Shallow Keeper I assume.

Neither of those guys are hanging around on the WW in any of my keepers and Bryant was the 1st overall pick in my dynasty last fall.

Heck, they are both owned in a lot of my re-draft leagues too.

Yeah it's a keeper. There's only 50 keepers so the only notable prospects owned are Buxton, Taveras, Bryant, Baez was just added today, Polanco, and Archie Bradley.

I will probably grab Bryant soon since Baez is already scooped up. My question is if and when Bryant comes up does he stay up? Is there a chance Bryant start back in triple or double A next spring?