Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

I will probably grab Bryant soon since Baez is already scooped up. My question is if and when Bryant comes up does he stay up? Is there a chance Bryant start back in triple or double A next spring?

http://espn.go.com/b...ame/kris-bryant

"One reason I like Bryant as a sure-thing -- if you can have one in this game -- is his ability to adjust rather quickly. Talking to the people around him since he became a prospect, he's always been his own best hitting coach, as he knows his swing better than anyone. That sounds simple but not all players, especially young ones, have that ability. It might be a trait reserved for those special hitters.

Which brings us back to the question, when does Bryant get promoted? Unless the Cubs unexpectedly change their minds, he's not going from Double-A to the majors. They've repeatedly said that no one is skipping a level. Just as we can use Anthony Rizzo as a barometer for when Baez might get promoted to the Cubs, we can use Baez as a template for Bryant. He moved from Class A to Double-A last season on July 6. Then started this year at Triple-A. Is Bryant on the same path?

Don't count on a promotion soon just because he's hot right now. Not only does a player need to dominate his level, he also must turn his weaknesses into strengths -– or at least eliminate them as much as possible, before being promoted. Bryant's defense alone will keep him at Double-A for a while longer. Plus, the Cubs never want to go backward. They want to be sure when they promote someone, and a month into the season isn't enough. That July date sounds better than May. Or maybe it will be even later.

Already the journey for Bryant has been fun to watch, from college MVP to Fall League MVP to the top of the hitting charts of the Southern League. The only thing a hungry Cubs fan wants to know is, "What's next?""

I will probably grab Bryant soon since Baez is already scooped up. My question is if and when Bryant comes up does he stay up? Is there a chance Bryant start back in triple or double A next spring?

He's up to stay if he keeps hitting like he is.

Any keeper I'd try to own now most likely.

3-5 with 3 runs and 3 RBIs tonight. It doesn't really mean much of anything since the current score in the 8th is 17-13 but hey, it's something!

Where do you guys have him in your current prospect rankings?

It really depends on if youre countng long term upside or just for making an impact soon. Long term I have to like at least Betts, Polanco, and Correa over him at the very least. After that, I think he's on par with Baez I guess.. I think he probably makes an impact before Betts or Correa though.

I completely forgot about Buxton, didnt mean to. Rather have Buxton than Bryant too, but also think Bryant is up much sooner. I wouldn't be surprised if any one of these guys was the best out of this group either. Prospects are always dicey. I don't rule out Bryant being the best or worst of these.

It really depends on if youre countng long term upside or just for making an impact soon. Long term I have to like at least Betts, Polanco, and Correa over him at the very least. After that, I think he's on par with Baez I guess.. I think he probably makes an impact before Betts or Correa though.

He would be behind Baez, buxton, taveras, correa IMO. Betts still isn't as highly regarded yet but if he keeps hitting like this he will shoot up quickly!

Posted · Hidden by dzemens, May 12, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by dzemens, May 12, 2014 - No reason given

Where would you include pederson or russel into the mix?

He would be behind Baez, buxton, taveras, correa IMO. Betts still isn't as highly regarded yet but if he keeps hitting like this he will shoot up quickly!

Prospect rankings are fluid. Are we saying Betts isn't as high regarded why? All the prospect rankings come out before the year starts. If all the prospect rankers were to re-do them right now, a decent amount would be different. Proclaiming Betts in the top 3-5 is just skipping to the forgone conclusion before every ranking is actually forced to update theirs. When evaluating prospects it's not like that they are ever so sure on a guy that he's unmovable. Buxton was the no question #1 guy on everyone's list. I feel like if you asked every one of those people to do them now, Polanco would be #1 on quite a few.

Not valuing Polanco and Betts higher than when the year started is a mistake.

Prospect rankings are fluid. Are we saying Betts isn't as high regarded why? All the prospect rankings come out before the year starts. If all the prospect rankers were to re-do them right now, a decent amount would be different. Proclaiming Betts in the top 3-5 is just skipping to the forgone conclusion before every ranking is actually forced to update theirs. When evaluating prospects it's not like that they are ever so sure on a guy that he's unmovable. Buxton was the no question #1 guy on everyone's list. I feel like if you asked every one of those people to do them now, Polanco would be #1 on quite a few.

Ah I forgot polanco he would be above Bryant too.

I don't think one month of someone hitting .400 is going to have made prospect lists jump betts from about 80th to top 5 just like Blackmon wouldn't have been a top ten fantasy pick on May 1st on expert lists. Betts is going to have to show it longer. His owners should be super excited but I read all the news on prospects I can find and I just don't think he's regarded as above Bryant yet.

he is number 1 and it not even close. Mookie Betts isnt even close guys. come on man!

I don't think one month of someone hitting .400 is going to have made prospect lists jump betts from about 80th to top 5 just like Blackmon wouldn't have been a top ten fantasy pick on May 1st on expert lists. Betts is going to have to show it longer. His owners should be super excited but I read all the news on prospects I can find and I just don't think he's regarded as above Bryant yet.

How about since May 5th of last year? From that time to May 5th of this year a Betts is hitting: .360/.429/.557 with 45 doubles, 4 triples, 17 homers, and 47 steals in his last 130 games. He has walked more than he has struck out, and has done this across three levels as a 20-21 yr old. He also had something like a 61 game on base streak. I'm not too concerned about putting him one or two over/under Bryant, but I have to put him around top 5. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guys though, except Baez's K rate and Buxton's repeated wrist injuries scare me. I'd rank them: Taveras, Polanco, Correa, Buxton, Betts, Bryant, Baez.

How about since May 5th of last year? From that time to May 5th of this year a Betts is hitting: .360/.429/.557 with 45 doubles, 4 triples, 17 homers, and 47 steals in his last 130 games. He has walked more than he has struck out, and has done this across three levels as a 20-21 yr old. He also had something like a 61 game on base streak. I'm not too concerned about putting him one or two over/under Bryant, but I have to put him around top 5. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guys though, except Baez's K rate and Buxton's repeated wrist injuries scare me. I'd rank them: Taveras, Polanco, Correa, Buxton, Betts, Bryant, Baez.

After Pederson's torrid start of the year, would he be also lumped in with them?

After Pederson's torrid start of the year, would he be also lumped in with them?

I'm not crazy about his lefty splits, and he is playing in the PCL, so I wouldn't. But considering the issues with the top pitching prospects I could see him in the tier below these guys.

I agree with you, but my point is given the 5 months of great production, he was ranked mostly in the 70s and 80s to start the year. I don't think one month of hitting .400 will change a scouting list's pre-season rankings that much (as well it probably shouldn't). Although I was a lot more high on him than 70-80th to start the year, as it seems you were too. Maybe we will be the ones that turn out to be right!

Guys lets get the focus back to the player at hand. Thanks.

Guy is in the zone.

Just hit # 11 and hitting over .320. Doing this in AA and having less than one year of experience as a professional is quite impressive.

Guy is in the zone.

Just hit # 11 and hitting over .320. Doing this in AA and having less than one year of experience as a professional is quite impressive.

he needs to be promoted to aaa soon

I liked it when he was walking a bit more. K/bb ratio has taken a nose dive. Guy is clearly to advanced for aa pitching though. They need to move him up.

I liked it when he was walking a bit more. K/bb ratio has taken a nose dive. Guy is clearly to advanced for aa pitching though. They need to move him up.

Cubs brass has always said they want to see sustained success over a period of time for players prior to bringing them up a level. In addition, prior to being brought up to the ML level they want to see any "kinks in the armor" worked out. Bryant still needs better control of the strike zone.

What kinda comps are we looking at with Bryant? Assuming the Cubs will keep him at 3B? How is his defense?

What kinda comps are we looking at with Bryant? Assuming the Cubs will keep him at 3B? How is his defense?

troy glaus is a common comp

Damn.. Troy Glaus... interesting.

Troy Glaus comp sure... But way more upside.

Troy Glaus comp sure... But way more upside.

Troy Glaus hit .284 with 47 HR at age 23.. was bankable for about 30 HR or more every year stayed healthy..

Really, I can't tell if you underselling how good Glaus was before his decline or over-hyping Bryant here...

Question is does he have the roided Glaus upside? Glaus' numbers in today's game would be really good.