Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Ugh, yes obviously you are smarter than me.

It has nothing to do with being smarter. You just simply have a hatred towards the Cubs and your misguided feelings about their reasoning for not bringing up some of these youngsters right now is simply just wrong. It's something they've done in two other organizations, and they've openly stated it as such.

If it was financial, Bryant and Alcantara both would be up with the big club. Know why they aren't? It has nothing to do with it being financial. That's why.

Keep lecturing me. It's really enlightening.

How old are you? :blink:

The Cubs are in full selling mode as evidenced by yesterday's big trade. Yet if you look at the wild card standings they are about 8.5 games back. So yes they are selling but they are actually in a playoff chase. The likelihood is not good but I think Theo needs to show the fans they are committed to winning. Bryant is simply mashing and is wasting away at AAA. Bring him up and see what he can do. The Cubs need to generate some excitement.

The Cubs are in full selling mode as evidenced by yesterday's big trade. Yet if you look at the wild card standings they are about 8.5 games back. So yes they are selling but they are actually in a playoff chase. The likelihood is not good but I think Theo needs to show the fans they are committed to winning. Bryant is simply mashing and is wasting away at AAA. Bring him up and see what he can do. The Cubs need to generate some excitement.

Full Sell mode? This is the third year in a row they have been fire-selling. If this were a Dynasty fantasy team we may of kicked Epstein out of the league at this point.

Maholm, Garza, Dempster, The Shark, Hammel.

Sure they get guys like Olt and Strop...but at somepoint you can't sell proven starters for a scratch-ticket prospect and relief pitchers.

This trade is crazy. You don't see this in real-life baseball very often. In fantasy, yeah, but it is easy to purposefully bomb your team 3 years in a row. Who is going to get upset at you in Fantasy. Trading away wins three years in a row in real life....man this is unprecedented. I mean I have seen teams just not field a good team, but not so many years of just trading away anybody that can actually play. Even Houston couldn't move that much chowder.

Full Sell mode? This is the third year in a row they have been fire-selling. If this were a Dynasty fantasy team we may of kicked Epstein out of the league at this point.

Sure they get guys like Olt and Strop...but at somepoint you can't sell proven starters for a scratch-ticket prospect and relief pitchers.

This trade is crazy. You don't see this in real-life baseball very often. In fantasy, yeah, but it is easy to purposefully bomb your team 3 years in a row. Who is going to get upset at you in Fantasy. Trading away wins three years in a row in real life....man this is unprecedented. I mean I have seen teams just not field a good team, but not so many years of just trading away anybody that can actually play. Even Houston couldn't move that much chowder.

Ummm Theo and company have stated very clearly for years now what there plan is..and that is NOT to win now, to build a foundation for success, for many years to come. They want to win and be competitive year after year, not just a flash in a pan type of s---..Didnt work when Clown Hendry threw big money at Soriano and other guys. They are doing it the RIGHT way now. And any SMART Cub/Baseball fan realizes that after they look at the big picture and the trades they have already made and just look at their farm system. They are stacked..And will open up their wallets for big name starting pitching in the near future, it's getting close and a lot of the guys we are waiting to see up here will be up here next year.

As a cub fan I have never been more excited to be a cubs fan. It takes years for a complete rebuild from the bottom up. It's pretty oblivious theo is a baseball god. Anyways nice to see Bryant nail another hr. He is a once in generation talent.

Cubs 2015 = Pirates 2013? Except that their strength will be IF instead of OF. One good FA starting pitcher (AJ Burnett, just for kicks) plus a good debut by CJ Edwards, and this team will be competing with the Reds and Cardinals. By 2016, the NL Central could be the best division in baseball.

Yes, the Cubs have been trading for prospects. But they are trading for *elite* prospects, and ones who are within a year of the majors. That's what makes these moves so good. Let's not forget that Hammel was a below-average pitcher for eight years until now, and he's a free agent after the season. And the Shark was a league-average pitcher until this year (one great season in 2011 offset by a lot of garbage). And he's a FA after 2015. So all they gave up was 0.5 + 1.5 years of pitchers who were barely average until a few months ago.

That was one of the best sell-high moves I've seen in a long time.

You have to be careful with prospects. Baez, Bryant, Russell, Solar and a few others is a nice core. But look at Seattle, Smoak top 10 prospect - bust. Ackely top 5 prospect - bust, Jesus Montero top 5 prospect - bust. Then other guys like Brad Miller, Nick Franklin have been awful in shorter stints. Zunino is hitting for power but hitting around .200. Point being, if you bank on prospects there development time does not always work out the way you want. Sometimes it takes guys 2 to 5 years to click in the big leagues. If we had this Mariners thread bumped up 4 years ago and people would of said Smoak, Ackley, Montero would all be giant flops and unrosterable in every fantasy league imaginable you would of been laughed out of the thread. People will point to Seattle's W-L record this year, but in large part the success is due to having the #1 staff in baseball, the best bullpen in baseball, a top notch D, and flukey RISP numbers. There offense as a whole has still been awful (last in OBP and other categories). So you have to hope some of these guys pan out, but ultimately the key to success will be with what proven FA's they bring in to support these young players. That will dictate the success and growth of the team.

You have to be careful with prospects. Baez, Bryant, Russell, Solar and a few others is a nice core. But look at Seattle, Smoak top 10 prospect - bust. Ackely top 5 prospect - bust, Jesus Montero top 5 prospect - bust. Then other guys like Brad Miller, Nick Franklin have been awful in shorter stints. Zunino is hitting for power but hitting around .200. Point being, if you bank on prospects there development time does not always work out the way you want. Sometimes it takes guys 2 to 5 years to click in the big leagues. If we had this Mariners thread bumped up 4 years ago and people would of said Smoak, Ackley, Montero would all be giant flops and unrosterable in every fantasy league imaginable you would of been laughed out of the thread. People will point to Seattle's W-L record this year

I think the Mariners just suck at developing and scouting offensive players. They haven't had much (if any) real success developing offensive talent in over a decade now. Plus their ballpark is career suicide for most hitters as it is.

BrzBIikCIAAfN_T.jpg

I thought the Cubs got a fantastic haul for him considering he wasn't staying with the Cubs anyway.

You have to be careful with prospects. Baez, Bryant, Russell, Solar and a few others is a nice core. But look at Seattle, Smoak top 10 prospect - bust. Ackely top 5 prospect - bust, Jesus Montero top 5 prospect - bust. Then other guys like Brad Miller, Nick Franklin have been awful in shorter stints. Zunino is hitting for power but hitting around .200. Point being, if you bank on prospects there development time does not always work out the way you want. Sometimes it takes guys 2 to 5 years to click in the big leagues. If we had this Mariners thread bumped up 4 years ago and people would of said Smoak, Ackley, Montero would all be giant flops and unrosterable in every fantasy league imaginable you would of been laughed out of the thread. People will point to Seattle's W-L record this year, but in large part the success is due to having the #1 staff in baseball, the best bullpen in baseball, a top notch D, and flukey RISP numbers. There offense as a whole has still been awful (last in OBP and other categories). So you have to hope some of these guys pan out, but ultimately the key to success will be with what proven FA's they bring in to support these young players. That will dictate the success and growth of the team.

Notice how they're all in Seattle... I don't think any team sucks at developing players like Seattle does.

As a cub fan I have never been more excited to be a cubs fan. It takes years for a complete rebuild from the bottom up. It's pretty oblivious theo is a baseball god. Anyways nice to see Bryant nail another hr. He is a once in generation talent.

Nailed it. Theo ended the 2nd longest championship drought. He will end the longest one. Patience.

Theo didn't end the dought all by himself, but he did make a very good team a great one that he inhereted. 2007 was great for him, I give him credit there. 2008 and 2009 were fissles both in terms of prospects and free-agents. 2010 through 2011 just got downright sad. A lot of talent failed over a four year period.

Interesting to note from the Theo press conference today noting possible positions. Bryant he sees possibly playing RF. Baez hinted at 3B or LF. Russell hinted at 2B. Alcantara uber-utility player.

The only surprising thing was his thought that Baez might be moved to the outfield. I did not see that one. He is athletic enough though.

As a Cub fan, I've been preaching what Thoyer is doing for YEARS. There's finally hope and light at the end of the tunnel. All the years of patchwork BS and overpriced mediocre talent was too much to bear.

I'm excited about the future.

BrzBIikCIAAfN_T.jpg

Not even funny and completely off topic. Your infatuation with the cubs is disturbing.

Been years since I have seen a guy hit like this in the minors and move this quickly. Even with the college experience, who would have imagined this kind of season.

Already off and running tonight. 2 run HR.

Bring him up

No reason to. They'll lose years of control and cost themselves potentially 10's of millions of dollars so that that they can have a top 10 draft pick instead of a top 5 one. 3 weeks into 2015 you'll get to see him.

Bring him up

No reason to. They'll lose years of control and cost themselves potentially 10's of millions of dollars so that that they can have a top 10 draft pick instead of a top 5 one. 3 weeks into 2015 you'll get to see him.

They could save millions of dollars by holding him down until the Super-2, so given the way they are building, I think June is the safer projection. I'm on record saying this behavior is overkill as they'll want to stagger their call-ups anyhow, but if their strategy is to maximize value at every turn, then Super-2 should be the goal.

Bring him up

They could save millions of dollars by holding him down until the Super-2, so given the way they are building, I think June is the safer projection. I'm on record saying this behavior is overkill as they'll want to stagger their call-ups anyhow, but if their strategy is to maximize value at every turn, then Super-2 should be the goal.

I say 2016 call-up. The Cubs can try and get another high draft pick in 2015 if they keep tanking seasons. Keep stockpiling and keep the MLB team on a continued downward spiral. Calling up prospects before 25 is crazy, you guys are right!

Go Epstein!

Seriously though, Bryant is one of the most MLB ready bats in the minors. He deserves a call-up soon, and to be given a real challenge. 2+ months of MLB experience might accelerate his development by a whole season, since he has the offseason to watch film, focus on his weaknesses...ect. It also give his opponents the offseason to see his weaknessess, and gives him a whole season to learn to adjust.

Seriously though, Bryant is one of the most MLB ready bats in the minors. He deserves a call-up soon, and to be given a real challenge. 2+ months of MLB experience might accelerate his development by a whole season, since he has the offseason to watch film, focus on his weaknesses...ect. It also give his opponents the offseason to see his weaknessess, and gives him a whole season to learn to adjust.

I doubt you'd find many people that would disagree with this sentiment from strictly a baseball sense, but the Cubs have made it crystal clear that they want to be terrible at least through next season. They want to max out the arbitration clock on their top end prospects to maximize their window of opportunity. It's obnoxious for someone that loves the game, but it's the ugly side of tanking.

Cubs are not a small market Team. They should care about years of control. But the saving $$$ part from super-2....., All organizations care about $$$, but its not AS big of deal as it would be. Like the Pirates or Rays.

Heck the Astros called Springer up before super 2. Because they only cared about the years of control for him. Springer kinda pushed it though with being basically a minor player of year in 2013. Bryant may be also be pushing that with his performance this year, and early next year.