Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

I hope he lives up to the hype, He could be the savior that the cubs have been waiting for all these years. Him and Rizzo could be the new bash brothers.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, July 19, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, July 19, 2014 - No Reason

I hope he lives up to the hype, He could be the savior that the cubs have been waiting for all these years. Him and Rizzo could be the new bash brothers.

Hahahaha

Hardly.

Third basemen: Kris Bryant (26) and Anthony Rendon (27)

[+] Enlargemlb_a_bryant_300x300.jpg

AP Photo/Tony FarlowKris Bryant should be slugging plenty of homers at Wrigley Field sooner than later.

If you're picking 2018 home run champions, Bryant would have to rank among the five players with the greatest odds ... and he'll be the only one I'll currently pencil in for 40-plus. (Hey, it's a fun, predict-the-future column.) He has zoomed through the Cubs' minor league ranks with the only hint of struggle this: A 30.3 percent strikeout rate in his first 24 games for Triple-A Iowa. Bryant's batting average might therefore be at risk once he arrives at Wrigley Field, but he's not an Adam Dunn-esque, streaks-and-slumps, bat-.225 slugger. He'll probably settle in as a .280 hitter, meaning many MVP votes ... unless, come 2018, we're still debating silly notions like only picking singular team standouts for MVP (since, by then, the Cubs will have plenty of good candidates).

From 2004 to 2010, Adam Dunn had an OPS of .850 or more every season, at least 38 HR and 90 RBI every season, and an OPS+ of 130 or more all seasons except one. Unfortunately, while he has a career Offensive WAR of +34, his Defensive WAR is -29 according to Baseball Prospectus. -29 is frighteningly big.

If Kris Bryant could hit at that level consistently while playing even adequate defense at 3B, he would be a phenomenally valuable player. The Cubs should hope for as much.

Oh, and I'll put my money on Mike Stanton for the HR crown in 2018, no offense to Mr. Bryant or Mr. Baez.

Oh, and I'll put my money on Mike Stanton for the HR crown in 2018, no offense to Mr. Bryant or Mr. Baez.

a bit early for that.

Absolute stud, but needs to work on his K's. He's striking out more than Baez at this point. In fact, since his promotion he has struck out in 35% of his at bats. That is horrendous. He needs to stay in the minors until he can work that down into the mid 20's.

Everything you just said has been mentioned ad nauseum here. Everyone knows it's his main problem. Lets just be happy he isn't K'ing as much as Gallo right now lol.

I'll make sure to read the first 35 pages next time.

Absolute stud, but needs to work on his K's. He's striking out more than Baez at this point. In fact, since his promotion he has struck out in 35% of his at bats. That is horrendous. He needs to stay in the minors until he can work that down into the mid 20's.

Everything you just said has been mentioned ad nauseum here. Everyone knows it's his main problem. Lets just be happy he isn't K'ing as much as Gallo right now lol.

I'll make sure to read the first 35 pages next time.

No need for that. Basically every page has a post or 6 about it. Plus, I figured if you come to this forum and thread you would most likely have an idea that his most blatant flaw in is his knack for K's would have been discussed.

How does him not being on the 40-man roster affect him being called up for a cup of coffee in September? Sorry if this has been mentioned, but there are so many posts, I wouldn't know where to start. TIA!

From 2004 to 2010, Adam Dunn had an OPS of .850 or more every season, at least 38 HR and 90 RBI every season, and an OPS+ of 130 or more all seasons except one. Unfortunately, while he has a career Offensive WAR of +34, his Defensive WAR is -29 according to Baseball Prospectus. -29 is frighteningly big.

If Kris Bryant could hit at that level consistently while playing even adequate defense at 3B, he would be a phenomenally valuable player. The Cubs should hope for as much.

You be smart to put that money on Rizzo, stanton is so 2012. Cubs are going to be amazing very soon! Nice to have the top power hitter in the MILB and one of the top guys already in MLB.

You be smart to put that money on Rizzo, stanton is so 2012. Cubs are going to be amazing very soon! Nice to have the top power hitter in the MILB and one of the top guys already in MLB.

Its quite apparent now that you're just a huge Cubs homer and don't have anything useful to add to the conversation, so this is the last time I'll be responding to you: Joey Gallo has more power than Bryant, and its not all that close.

Its quite apparent now that you're just a huge Cubs homer and don't have anything useful to add to the conversation, so this is the last time I'll be responding to you: Joey Gallo has more power than Bryant, and its not all that close.

I think it's silly to definitively take a stance on prospects like this. It wouldn't shock me if Gallo or Bryant was the better major league power hitter

"It's not all that close" is just a silly statement to make from many perspectives. From a current perspective in the fact that they actually are very close in terms of power and in the future meaning... we have no clue how they will end up being in the majors. Both could/should be elite power hitters in the majors (35-40 home run potential).

Heck, to this point Bryant has hit more home runs in the minors this season than Gallo with a significantly higher OPS.

"It's not all that close" is just a silly statement to make from many perspectives. From a current perspective in the fact that they actually are very close in terms of power and in the future meaning... we have no clue how they will end up being in the majors. Both could/should be elite power hitters in the majors (35-40 home run potential).

Heck, to this point Bryant has hit more home runs in the minors this season than Gallo with a significantly higher OPS.

I'll add in higher competition.

I'm speaking from a pure raw power standpoint after watching both players' BP sessions at the Futures games. Its definitely possible that Bryant's power will translate better than Gallo's, however.

I'm speaking from a pure raw power standpoint after watching both players' BP sessions at the Futures games. Its definitely possible that Bryant's power will translate better than Gallo's, however.

So by watching one BP session you can say that Gallo has so much more power than Bryant that it's not close?

My boy Brock Lesnar has more power than both.

So by watching one BP session you can say that Gallo has so much more power than Bryant that it's not close?

And every scouting report I've read that says Gallo has more power than anyone in the minors. Honestly Gallo made everyone else look like a little leaguer that day. Its fine if you don't agree with me, but I'm not going to change my stance.

Sure lets just take into account one batting practice and ignore the fact that bryant has a higher OPS and more HR's at a higher level. Makes sense to me :wacko:

And every scouting report I've read that says Gallo has more power than anyone in the minors. Honestly Gallo made everyone else look like a little leaguer that day. Its fine if you don't agree with me, but I'm not going to change my stance.

Ummm, most every scouting report that I've read has Bryant and Gallo on close or on part with one another in terms of raw power. Gallo maybe slightly? But you stated "it wasn't close" and that just simply is factually not the case. Frankly, I don't care about one BP session.

Fair enough, I respect the opinion... just not the "not close" part. Also I'm not changing my opinion

Fair enough, I respect the opinion... just not the "not close" part. Also I'm not changing my opinion

This really is fantastic!

Gallo may have more raw power than Bryant, but he also has more holes in his swing. Bryant struck out 26% of the time in AA earlier this year and is striking out 30% of the time in AAA. Gallo is striking out 44% of the time in AA so far...

Gallo is far more likely to bust than Bryant. If one of them becomes the next Wily Mo Pena, it'll be Gallo.

Hard to respect someone who wont change their opinion even when hit with the FACTS. Gallo has alot of work to do before he gets to Bryants level.

What a piece of work. Anyways lets get back on topic of the home run king of the MILB!

Gallo may have more raw power than Bryant, but he also has more holes in his swing. Bryant struck out 26% of the time in AA earlier this year and is striking out 30% of the time in AAA. Gallo is striking out 44% of the time in AA so far...

Gallo is far more likely to bust than Bryant. If one of them becomes the next Wily Mo Pena, it'll be Gallo.

Yup. It's the one glitch that Bryant needs to still work on. If he can even reduce that K rate slightly, he might go from a ML projectable .270.280 hitter to a .290-.300 hitter with that type of power.

Really no question to me that Gallo HAS more power than Bryant.. but with that comes a 40% strikeout rate. Gallo obviously needs to do something about his contact problems and because of that I think Bryant will be a better power hitter in the majors