Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

I'm speaking from a pure raw power standpoint after watching both players' BP sessions at the Futures games. Its definitely possible that Bryant's power will translate better than Gallo's, however.

So by watching one BP session you can say that Gallo has so much more power than Bryant that it's not close?

My boy Brock Lesnar has more power than both.

And every scouting report I've read that says Gallo has more power than anyone in the minors. Honestly Gallo made everyone else look like a little leaguer that day. Its fine if you don't agree with me, but I'm not going to change my stance.

Fair enough, I respect the opinion... just not the "not close" part. Also I'm not changing my opinion

Hard to respect someone who wont change their opinion even when hit with the FACTS. Gallo has alot of work to do before he gets to Bryants level.

What a piece of work. Anyways lets get back on topic of the home run king of the MILB!

Minor League stats have no bearing on who has more raw power, and that was my only argument; that Gallo has more raw power than Bryant.

I'm speaking from a pure raw power standpoint after watching both players' BP sessions at the Futures games. Its definitely possible that Bryant's power will translate better than Gallo's, however.

So by watching one BP session you can say that Gallo has so much more power than Bryant that it's not close?

And every scouting report I've read that says Gallo has more power than anyone in the minors. Honestly Gallo made everyone else look like a little leaguer that day. Its fine if you don't agree with me, but I'm not going to change my stance.

Fair enough, I respect the opinion... just not the "not close" part. Also I'm not changing my opinion

Hard to respect someone who wont change their opinion even when hit with the FACTS. Gallo has alot of work to do before he gets to Bryants level.

What a piece of work. Anyways lets get back on topic of the home run king of the MILB!

Minor League stats have no bearing on who has more raw power, and that was my only argument; that Gallo has more raw power than Bryant.

And our point was that he might - but it isn't by much, and Bryant (right now) is a significantly better overall hitter.

I guess this all stems from you determining the statement "top power hitter in the minor" to mean "most raw power" and then say it wasn't close.

Raw power doesn't always translate. I forget what that name of the guy was in the Brewers system a while back and bounced around to a few others who was supposed to be amazing.

And our point was that he might - but it isn't by much, and Bryant (right now) is a significantly better overall hitter.

I never said anything about who the better overall hitter is. I know that Bryant has a better hit tool than Gallo. All I said was that Gallo has more power than Bryant. Since none of you will take my word for it, Jason Parks, the lead prospect writer for Baseball Prospectus, had this to say:

Jason Parks @ProfessorParks · Jul 13

Only Stanton comes close to Gallo RT
:
does
wish he had
power or the other way around?

·

I think it's very close. I'm not kidding. RT
:
Are you saying Gallo has more than Stanton?

I think a guy that scouts prospects for a living might be a decent source of information, no?

I never said anything about who the better overall hitter is. I know that Bryant has a better hit tool than Gallo. All I said was that Gallo has more power than Bryant. Since none of you will take my word for it, Jason Parks, the lead prospect writer for Baseball Prospectus, had this to say:

:
does
wish he had

·

:

I think a guy that scouts prospects for a living might be a decent source of information, no?

I follow Parks. I've actually spoken to Parks. I know who Parks is. He's an incredibly insightful fellow.

And.. I never said that Gallo doesn't have a higher raw power tool. But.. it's close - it's not the "it's not close" statement you made.

:
does
wish he had

·

:

Ill take the guy who has hit more HR's at a higher level and doesnt strike out almost 50% of the time. Case closed

:
does
wish he had

·

:

I follow Parks. I've actually spoken to Parks. I know who Parks is. He's an incredibly insightful fellow.

And.. I never said that Gallo doesn't have a higher raw power tool. But.. it's close - it's not the "it's not close" statement you made.

I said "its not all that close." Parks said only Stanton comes close to Gallo's raw power, which could also be interpreted as Bryant does not come close. I'm not the only one who believes this.

\

I said "its not all that close." Parks said only Stanton comes close to Gallo's raw power, which could also be interpreted as Bryant does not come close. I'm not the only one who believes this.

I mean Stanton hasnt had a 40 HR year yet and many scouts say Bryant has 35-40 HR potential. I read 50 once. So again.... not close?

\

I mean Stanton hasnt had a 40 HR year yet and many scouts say Bryant has 35-40 HR potential. I read 50 once. So again.... not close?

Yup. Spot on.

He's taking what someone said, twisting it to go in line with the point he is making when the actual person (Parks) never said that.

\

Yup. Spot on.

He's taking what someone said, twisting it to go in line with the point he is making when the actual person (Parks) never said that.

I gave a direct quote (tweet). How am I twisting anything?

\

Yup. Spot on.

Parks never once said that Bryant's power wasn't on par with Gallos nor did he ever say that "it wasn't close". As Brock said, most scouting reports I've read have Bryant having projectable 35-40 power with a few reports indicating he might have a few seasons at 50.

Stanton is having arguably his best season this year and he's on pace for 38 homers. You're taking something Parks tweeted and twisting it to go in-line with your argument when he never remotely said what you claim he did.

\

Yup. Spot on.

Parks never once said that Bryant's power wasn't on par with Gallos nor did he ever say that "it wasn't close". As Brock said, most scouting reports I've read have Bryant having projectable 35-40 power with a few reports indicating he might have a few seasons at 50.

Stanton is having arguably his best season this year and he's on pace for 38 homers. You're taking something Parks tweeted and twisting it to go in-line with your argument when he never remotely said what you claim he did.

Do I really need to spell this out for you?

Raw power doesn't always translate into game power. You can't just say that since player X hit 30 HRs and player Y hit 25, player X has more raw power. Brian Dozier has more bombs than Jose Bautista this year. Does Dozier have more raw power than Joey Bats?

Some guy on twitter specifically asked him who had more power, Gallo or Bryant. His response was that only Stanton is close to Gallo in terms of power. From that response, most reasonable people would deduce that "only Stanton" does not include Kris Bryant. I'm not spinning anything.

\

Yup. Spot on.

The fact that me and IlliniGuy76 agree for once really says it all.

If multiple scouts are predicting someone to be a 40 home run hitter, thats as elite as it gets in today's game. I chuckle at the thought of anyone projecting someone as a consistent 45 home run hitter. Raw power or not, it's rare for someone to hit 40 home runs twice in a row these days. Bautista, Miggy, Pujols, Dunn, and Ryan Howard are probably the only guys to do that in the last 10 years.

At 22 Stanton hit 37 HR in 449 AB's in MLB

At 22 Bryant is currently at 33 HR in 353 AB's in AA and AAA (PCL)

Bryant is a great prospect.. but come on, comparing him to Stantons power?

\

Yup. Spot on.

Raw power doesn't always translate into game power. You can't just say that since player X hit 30 HRs and player Y hit 25, player X has more raw power. Brian Dozier has more bombs than Jose Bautista this year. Does Dozier have more raw power than Joey Bats?

Some guy on twitter specifically asked him who had more power, Gallo or Bryant. His response was that only Stanton is close to Gallo in terms of power. From that response, most reasonable people would deduce that "only Stanton" does not include Kris Bryant. I'm not spinning anything.

"Only Stanton comes close to Gallo" does not mean that Bryant isn't "close" to Gallo in terms of pure power. I don't comprehend how you aren't grasping that notion.

Again... Bryant projectable is 35-40. Stanton is having his best year, this year, and is on pace for 38 homers.

Brock: I'm sure we have agreed on much in the past!

\

Yup. Spot on.

"Only Stanton comes close to Gallo" does not mean that Bryant isn't "close" to Gallo in terms of pure power. I don't comprehend how you aren't grasping that notion.

Again... Bryant projectable is 35-40. Stanton is having his best year, this year, and is on pace for 38 homers.

Wow. This is like talking to a brick wall. Do you know what the word 'only' means? The sentence "Only Stanton comes close" inherently means that Bryant, or anyone else for that matter, does not come close.

Only: without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively:

\

Yup. Spot on.

Wow. This is like talking to a brick wall. Do you know what the word 'only' means? The sentence "Only Stanton comes close" inherently means that Bryant, or anyone else for that matter, does not come close.

Only: without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively:

This is getting mind numbing -- I'll end the discussion here and move onto something a bit more fruitful.

The fact you're implying that Joey Gallo's power tool is above and beyond everyone else both in the major leagues and minor leagues (other than one player) is laughable. He's saying that Stantion only comes close to Gallo in terms of power tool. No where, in his response, did he say that there was a landmine of difference between Stanton/Gallo and every other major and minor leaguer playing baseball. You're saying - and implying that Parks did - that there's Stanton/Gallo and there's a huge gap from there. He never said that.

Honestly, who cares? It's annoying to keep having this thread bumped with this garbage. It doesn't even matter who's right; this argument could literally not be anymore inconsequential.

Honestly, who cares? It's annoying to keep having this thread bumped with this garbage. It doesn't even matter who's right; this argument could literally not be anymore inconsequential.

I agree. Let's get back to Bryant, his production and what he's doing/not doing in AAA.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 21, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, July 21, 2014 - No reason given

66232-I-Care.jpg

Like Joc Pederson, I'm concerned about his abnormally high BABIP coupled with a healthy K rate.

.440 BABIP in AA

.397 BABIP in AAA

Something has to give with that K rate in MLB.

Like Joc Pederson, I'm concerned about his abnormally high BABIP coupled with a healthy K rate.

.440 BABIP in AA

.397 BABIP in AAA

Something has to give with that K rate in MLB.

No idea how common it is for minor leaguers, but he seems to have a consistent 400+ BABIP at every level so far.

Also I forget, dont home runs hurt babip?

Home Runs don't count for BABIP, which is why power hitters usually have a lower BABIP.

Well, I mean I cant see how this year is a fluke if he did it last year. He's basically been a 400 BABIP 700 SLG guy at every level. No idea what precedent there is for those sort of numbers

Minor league defenses aren't as good which would cause BABIPs to be higher and is one of the reasons why averages drop when people hit the majors. No one expects him to be a .350 hitter so I don't think his BABIP should be that concerning.