Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Minor league defenses aren't as good which would cause BABIPs to be higher and is one of the reasons why averages drop when people hit the majors. No one expects him to be a .350 hitter so I don't think his BABIP should be that concerning.

#logic

I'd imagine he makes a lot of hard contact too, which helps expose bad fielders.

Gallo has a pretty high BABIP this year too. 412 in AA and .370 in High A

Patrick Mooney, cubs insider and the guy who talks with the Cubs announcers during Cubs broadcasts stated the following:

Paraphrase: "If Javy continues to hit the way he has been, there's a good chance we see him September 1st, considering Jorge Soler is already on the roster, we could probably see him too. No chance on Kris Bryant."

Patrick Mooney, cubs insider and the guy who talks with the Cubs announcers during Cubs broadcasts stated the following:

Paraphrase: "If Javy continues to hit the way he has been, there's a good chance we see him September 1st, considering Jorge Soler is already on the roster, we could probably see him too. No chance on Kris Bryant."

Does this mean the Cubs like Bryant more than Baez or Soler? Seems like Bryant is their crown jewel and safest best to reach his projected ceiling.

Does this mean the Cubs like Bryant more than Baez or Soler? Seems like Bryant is their crown jewel and safest best to reach his projected ceiling.

Economically and "scheme" wise both Bryant is kinda the odd man out. Baez has been in the minors longer and Soler isn't attached to the six year rule like Bryant.

Home Runs don't count for BABIP, which is why power hitters usually have a lower BABIP.

Well, I mean I cant see how this year is a fluke if he did it last year. He's basically been a 400 BABIP 700 SLG guy at every level. No idea what precedent there is for those sort of numbers

I don't know much about Bryant other than what I've read in this thread, but if that's his actual #s... no, that's not sustainable. Hitter babip's are non-random: line drive hitters have an elevated babip (tougher to make an out on a hard-hit ball) and fast guys have an elevated babip (in his prime, Ichiro would have a number of infield singles every year) but NOBODY has a .400 babip. High is something like .335-.340. MLB average is about .300. And as much as people think, "but this prospect is really, really good"... that was true at some point of many hitters in the pros. Zero chance he could do that at a major league level over any non-trivial sample size.

Probably could use an extra day off. Even during breaks he is traveling around to all-star games (or HR durbys).

He is also in his first full professional season and over 100 games.

He did another one of those long hits that goes over everybody again!

[Eric Hosmer] You mean a single?!?! [/Eric Hosmer]

Quietly putting together a 50 homer 120 RBI 120 run 15 sb season.

Quietly? Bryant gets talked about more than most major leaguers (and for good reason).

Quietly? Bryant gets talked about more than most major leaguers (and for good reason).

I think he meant shhhh!, don't tell anyone.

you think he eclipses 20 sbs or come close?

Remember when the big question in the draft was in what order Mark Appel, Jon Gray, and Kris Bryant should go?

Bryant's at AAA already with a 1.112 OPS.

Gray's at AA with a 3.41 ERA / 1.103 WHIP.

Appel's at AA (just promoted) sitting on a 6.60 ERA / 1.557 WHIP.

(All numbers career MiLB.)

Appel "earned" his promotion after posting a 9.74 ERA and 1.919 WHIP (15.0 H/9, 1.8 HR/9) in high-A ball this season.

Remember when the big question in the draft was in what order Mark Appel, Jon Gray, and Kris Bryant should go?

Appel "earned" his promotion after posting a 9.74 ERA and 1.919 WHIP (15.0 H/9, 1.8 HR/9) in high-A ball this season.

might be the worst post i've seen on these forums

impressive the amount of bias one can fit in so few words

I don't know about that, there's some pretty bad advice by some guys...

But lets be honest, do you really think that the Astros wouldn't take Bryant if the draft was after the first professional year? I'm thinking your crazy if you think they'd pass on Bryant. Bryant is #1 on Keith Law, #4 on MLB #2 on most other lists, Mark Appel isn't sniffing the top 20.

I don't know about that, there's some pretty bad advice by some guys...

But lets be honest, do you really think that the Astros wouldn't take Bryant if the draft was after the first professional year? I'm thinking your crazy if you think they'd pass on Bryant. Bryant is #1 on Keith Law, #4 on MLB #2 on most other lists, Mark Appel isn't sniffing the top 20.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Which was the entire point of the post... that in hindsight the decision would be different...