Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Yeah I have no problem with the post either. Astros likely made a bad pick and he was just pointing it out. Won't be the first bad pick at the #1 spot and won't be the last.

Tim Beckham, Luke Hochevar, Matt Bush, etc.

Remember when the big question in the draft was in what order Mark Appel, Jon Gray, and Kris Bryant should go?

Bryant's at AAA already with a 1.112 OPS.

Gray's at AA with a 3.41 ERA / 1.103 WHIP.

Appel's at AA (just promoted) sitting on a 6.60 ERA / 1.557 WHIP.

(All numbers career MiLB.)

Appel "earned" his promotion after posting a 9.74 ERA and 1.919 WHIP (15.0 H/9, 1.8 HR/9) in high-A ball this season.

might be the worst post i've seen on these forums

impressive the amount of bias one can fit in so few words

I don't know about that, there's some pretty bad advice by some guys...

But lets be honest, do you really think that the Astros wouldn't take Bryant if the draft was after the first professional year? I'm thinking your crazy if you think they'd pass on Bryant. Bryant is #1 on Keith Law, #4 on MLB #2 on most other lists, Mark Appel isn't sniffing the top 20.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Eh, there was a fastly growing group who thought Gray and Bryant were much better prospects than Appel last year. For as good as Appel's stuff was, he never got the results that matched it. It took him until his senior to start striking guys out despite his really good stuff and even then he gave up more hits than his stuff should have allowed. The kid is Edwin Jackson in that he had great stuff but just didn't know how to use it.

Current draft format began in 1965, not one No.1 overall pick is in the Hall of Fame. It will change soon with Griffey and then Chipper, but to this point, no hall of famers.

I wonder what the Baez callup means for Kris Bryant...

It probably means the earliest you'll see him is Sept 2014

Hopefully Bryant gets a September call up. I think Bryant is more MLB ready than Baez is.

I thought the Cubs would call them up at the same time to take the pressure off each other. I could be completely wrong though.

I thought the Cubs would call them up at the same time to take the pressure off each other. I could be completely wrong though.

No

I don't think he will make the Major League roster this year but I would be very surprised if he isn't on the opening day roster in 2015...

I think the Baez callup gives Bryant real hope for this year. He just needs to keep doing his thing. He is actually a year older than Baez, and has outperformed him at every level along the way. The Baez callup gives Bryant a chance to go up this year. If Baez was held down until September that would have been a bad sign. Starting Baez' clock this early means they might actually be interested in winning come 2016.

I don't think he will make the Major League roster this year but I would be very surprised if he isn't on the opening day roster in 2015...

With no starting pitching outside of Arietta I highly doubt he just magically starts the year in the Bigs next year. They wouldnt be contenders. Why would they start the clock early?

Has this ever happened with a big time prospect in the past 5 years with the only exception being Jason Heyward?

With no starting pitching outside of Arietta I highly doubt he just magically starts the year in the Bigs next year. They wouldnt be contenders. Why would they start the clock early?

Has this ever happened with a big time prospect in the past 5 years with the only exception being Jason Heyward?

If this season is the last year the Cubs consider themselves sellers then why not put the best possible roster on the field come opening day 2015? I understand the service time issue but Bryant is clearly major league ready...

If this season is the last year the Cubs consider themselves sellers then why not put the best possible roster on the field come opening day 2015? I understand the service time issue but Bryant is clearly major league ready...

Thats your answer

Thats your answer

So they will probably do what the Astros did with Springer...Wait a few weeks and call him up...

If they are going to pull a Springer then they might as well call him up in September. It is either wait til the middle of the summer or give him a cup of coffee this year IMO. Because calling him a few weeks into the season makes very little sense financially.

If they are going to pull a Springer then they might as well call him up in September. It is either wait til the middle of the summer or give him a cup of coffee this year IMO. Because calling him a few weeks into the season makes very little sense financially.

How do you figure? Sure he hits arbitration quicker, but he the Cubs still gain a year of control. Calling him up late April and calling him up in July next year costs them some money, but still under team control.

Just like Springer I would think, hold him down for a few weeks to get an extra year of control, and have him Super 2 qualify (costs more money, but you still get a whole year out of it.)

Hendricks

Arietta

Wood

Jackson

... and if they believe they're close to competing, they'll go out and spend on a big time #1 arm, maybe even two.

How do you figure? Sure he hits arbitration quicker, but he the Cubs still gain a year of control. Calling him up late April and calling him up in July next year costs them some money, but still under team control.

Just like Springer I would think, hold him down for a few weeks to get an extra year of control, and have him Super 2 qualify (costs more money, but you still get a whole year out of it.)

Baez is a year younger and they brought him up now. You could say the same about him. Bryant has outperformed Baez at every level and is a year older. Makes little sense to bring up Baez in August and hold Bryant out til next year. If you were going to be miserly you might as well be miserly with both young studs.

Hendricks

Arietta

Wood

Jackson

... and if they believe they're close to competing, they'll go out and spend on a big time #1 arm, maybe even two.

I really think they will acquire at least one arm this off season, but only Arrieta of that much looks good. It's to early to tell on Hendricks even though I do like him.

I think they thought Baez was ready earlier in the year, but he struggled for a bit and delayed his arrival. They did want to get him up this year.

Bryant they probably were hoping would be ready for the middle of 2015, but he clearly has outperformed that schedule. But you have to remember he has yet to play a full season of baseball, and might start getting worn down soon as well.

Having 1 full year of professional experience before getting called up his usually a pretty good move for a hitter. Baez might be young, but has more experience at professional ball.

Remember when the big question in the draft was in what order Mark Appel, Jon Gray, and Kris Bryant should go?

Bryant's at AAA already with a 1.112 OPS.

Gray's at AA with a 3.41 ERA / 1.103 WHIP.

Appel's at AA (just promoted) sitting on a 6.60 ERA / 1.557 WHIP.

(All numbers career MiLB.)

Appel "earned" his promotion after posting a 9.74 ERA and 1.919 WHIP (15.0 H/9, 1.8 HR/9) in high-A ball this season.

might be the worst post i've seen on these forums

impressive the amount of bias one can fit in so few words

I don't know about that, there's some pretty bad advice by some guys...

But lets be honest, do you really think that the Astros wouldn't take Bryant if the draft was after the first professional year? I'm thinking your crazy if you think they'd pass on Bryant. Bryant is #1 on Keith Law, #4 on MLB #2 on most other lists, Mark Appel isn't sniffing the top 20.

Yeah, I don't get the criticism - all I'm stating are facts.

The numbers are the numbers are the numbers. So far, Bryant's been more successful than the other two, and there's no bias in that statement whatsoever. Not sure where the implication of bias comes from.

I'm also not saying the Astros made a bad call or a good one given the facts that existed at the time. Nor saying that it's necessarily indicative of the future. For all any of us know, Appel could put it together and turn into the next Cy Young rather than the next Todd Van Poppel.

But if the Astros could take a do-over today, as Taoball points out, I'd guess Bryant would go #1 as well.

2-3 with 2 runs, 2 RBI, 2 steals, 2 walks, and 1 strikeout.

No signs of slowing down.

He really does remind me an awful lot like Giancarlo Stanton. The size, the power, the strikeouts, the ability to work a count and take walks, the talent, and the sneaky speed.

He really does remind me an awful lot like Giancarlo Stanton. The size, the power, the strikeouts, the ability to work a count and take walks, the talent, and the sneaky speed.

I dunno if it's sneaky speed, or Im in my early 20s YOLO speed.. 10+ bags a year on top of his projected numbers seem like a nice boost though. Probably something we might see for a couple years.

Hendricks

Arietta

Wood

Jackson

I really think they will acquire at least one arm this off season, but only Arrieta of that much looks good. It's to early to tell on Hendricks even though I do like him.

I'm thinking the same, Wood and Jackson shouldn't be #3 and #4 much longer. I'd bet if he doesn't land a spot during Spring Training the worst we will see is an early May call-up.