Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Could be a generational talent like Trout and Puig the way hes going. At least should be a masher who comes close to 35-40 hrs a year but sky is the limit it seems he could hit 50 in a full pro season along with batting .300. Thats amazing from any position

Could be a generational talent like Trout and Puig the way hes going. At least should be a masher who comes close to 35-40 hrs a year but sky is the limit it seems he could hit 50 in a full pro season along with batting .300. Thats amazing from any position

I do not think that Bryant will be a .300 hitter in the majors.

Nah? Hes batting .341 this year including .322 at the aaa level why cant he bat .300 in the pros? If he doesnt bat .300 but bats .285-.290 does that change much if hes still hitting 40 bombs a year?;

Need a callup this year or I don't get him :). Need a valbuena injury.

Even if that happens I don't think we see him. They have other pieces to fill the hole.

Minor league average isn't the best thing to look at when projecting MLB average, as strange as it seems. It's more to do with a K% and a Batted Ball profiled to predict an average. Look at George Springer for example, hit's .300 over a large number of PAs in the minors, comes to the majors and everyone says "this is a .240 hitter with .260 upside" and he completely lives up to it.

His minor league K rate is right around 26%, even if he can keep it there when he moves up to the majors, how many players hit for a .260 average even with that high a K-rate?

Minimum 200 PA:

Drew Stubbs (31.3%, .293 BA, .401 BABIP, 304 PA)

Josh Hamilton (30.3%, .266 BA, .368 BABIP, 300 PA)

Marlon Byrd (27.9%, .270 BA, .340 BABIP, 494 PA)

Starling Marte (27.0%, .263 BA, .363 BABIP, 381 PA)

Mike Napoli (26.8%, .265, BA, .349 BABIP, 396 PA)

Justin Ruggiano (26.4%, .282 BA, .372 BABIP, 231 PA)

Chris Ianetta (26.2%, .260 BA, .349 BABIP, 263 PA)

Chris Johnson (26.2%, .271 BA, .354 BABIP, 466 PA)

Justin Upton (26.2%, .280 BA, .343 BABIP, 474 PA)

Giancarlo Stanton (26.1%, .291 BA, .351 BABIP, 518 PA)

So that's 10 players if he sustains his minor league K%, which typically rise upon facing better pitchers. Zero players are hitting over .300, and 6/10 players hitting over .260 have missed at least 100 PAs. That 26% number is actually kind of a "magic number" because there's some pretty good hitters around that but much past that and it drops off hard.

Good hitters hit for an exponentially higher average in the minors because they face pitchers with lesser stuff (less K's) and lesser defenses with lesser range so more balls drop in for hits that simply get caught.

Even if that happens I don't think we see him. They have other pieces to fill the hole.

Olt would be the call-up, .327/.356/.598 so far in AAA and he's 25 with Major League experience. That;s the guy that will get the callup at the hot corner, not Bryant.

120 games, .341/.448/.689, 107 runs, 100 RBI, 39 homers, 15 SB. 135:73 K:BB ratio. Just for anybody wondering how he's been doing all year.

120 games, .341/.448/.689, 107 runs, 100 RBI, 39 homers, 15 SB. 135:73 K:BB ratio. Just for anybody wondering how he's been doing all year.

Him and Rizzo are gonna be the modern day mash brothers. Exciting times for the Cubs my friends!

Him and Rizzo are gonna be the modern day mash brothers. Exciting times for the Cubs my friends!

Castro, Alcantara, Baez, and Russell wont be slouches either

Cubs have been hitting well lately. Look for Theo to spend some money this offseason, these Cubs can be real good real fast. Rizzo is having a breakout year which only helps.

I wonder if Bryant will bat third with Rizzo 4th next year. Rizzo seems like a good 3rd hitter, but with all the righties in the lineup I think hitting him 4th makes sense.

If Rizzo can consistently hit for this average with OBP skils, i think he should hit higher. Even 2nd, with Baez and Bryant batting 3rd and fourth. I know it's not what RBI guys want to hear, but that's the way the Reds had success when Votto was successful a lot of the time last year, him and alcantara have good obp skills that i'd love to see them 1 and 2.

Cubs have been hitting well lately. Look for Theo to spend some money this offseason, these Cubs can be real good real fast. Rizzo is having a breakout year which only helps.

I wonder if Bryant will bat third with Rizzo 4th next year. Rizzo seems like a good 3rd hitter, but with all the righties in the lineup I think hitting him 4th makes sense.

Will they risk putting Bryant 3rd if his K-rate stays as high as it is, or moves higher? I haven't run the numbers on the K% of No3 hitters, but 26% seems high in the 3rd slot. Please correct me if I'm off-base.

If Rizzo can consistently hit for this average with OBP skils, i think he should hit higher. Even 2nd, with Baez and Bryant batting 3rd and fourth. I know it's not what RBI guys want to hear, but that's the way the Reds had success when Votto was successful a lot of the time last year, him and alcantara have good obp skills that i'd love to see them 1 and 2.

I don't think Baez projects as a 2/3 hitter.

Baez in a future Cubs lineup that should consist of Alcantara, Russell, Rizzo, Soler, and Bryant would likely hit no higher than 6th.

Epstein just reiterated that he is NOT coming up this year. Unless its just white smoke..............

you mean a smoke screen?

No, Bryant gets to the bigs when a Pope gets elected.

These "Super Two" rules have gotten really, really complicated lately.

Baez in a future Cubs lineup that should consist of Alcantara, Russell, Rizzo, Soler, and Bryant would likely hit no higher than 6th.

6th? Waste of his power there. I see him in the 5 hole behind Rizzo and Bryant. Ideally, Russell and Soler would bat 1st and 2nd.

Batting Rizzo 2nd would also be a waste of his power. I mean he's capable of hitting 40 jacks someday.

Castro, Alcantara, Baez, and Russell wont be slouches either

you are right, that is what is so exciting, they are now stacked with good hitting. Hopefully they go and find some good free agent pitching and they'll be contenders in a couple of years.

so where is this guy drafted next year assuming he doesnt even get a callup this year?

5th round? higher?

I posted this elsewhere, but by my math they could

Sign Lester 20 mil

Sign Scherzer 25 mil

Sign Iwakuma 18 mil

have Arrieta and Wood/Turner/Jackson fill out the rotation

and a lineup of

Coghlan LF

Castro SS

Rizzo 1B

Bryant 3B

Baez 2B

Soler RF

Alcantara CF

Castillo C

and a payroll still under 100 mil, which they could push to 120 mil for bullpen help. Or trade Castro for example to the Padres for Benoit/Vincent/Kelly type deal and have Addison ready for SS

I posted this elsewhere, but by my math they could

Sign Lester 20 mil

Sign Scherzer 25 mil

Sign Iwakuma 18 mil

have Arrieta and Wood/Turner/Jackson fill out the rotation

and a lineup of

Coghlan LF

Castro SS

Rizzo 1B

Bryant 3B

Baez 2B

Soler RF

Alcantara CF

Castillo C

and a payroll still under 100 mil, which they could push to 120 mil for bullpen help. Or trade Castro for example to the Padres for Benoit/Vincent/Kelly type deal and have Addison ready for SS

I think you forgot Hendricks. He's having a very strong season.