Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Does anyone have insight into his SB prowess? He had 15 steals in 138 minor league games. Everyone wants to talk about the power and contact rate, but those are much harder to predict than how fast he is. Also not sure on how Maddon's philosophy has been with young guys stealing bases early. If he is going to be Goldschmidt like in stealing his 10-15 bases each year, that adds a decent amount of value.

A .260/30 line starts to become really attractive when its .260/30/15.

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(01/19/15) Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said Monday the trade of third baseman Luis Valbuena to Houston and third-base prospect Kris Bryant's roster situation are "totally independent" of each other.

Hoyer added Mike Olt, Tommy La Stella and Arismendy Alcantara could play at third base until Chicago feels Bryant is ready for the majors.

"We are not going to speed up that clock," Hoyer said, per ESPN.

Any truth the rumors that bryant might only spend 2-3 weeks in the minors before his callup?

Im not sure what the service time issue is. I forget. But whatever it is, they'll wait it out. He wont start in the majors if thats the case.

Im not sure what the service time issue is. I forget. But whatever it is, they'll wait it out. He wont start in the majors if thats the case.

Its like a couple weeks into the season that they gain a year of cost control.

Its like a couple weeks into the season that they gain a year of cost control.

So then yeah, that's when I expect them to call them up. They traded Luis Valbuena to Texas and have Tommy LaStella slated to play 3rd per roster resource. He'll be up pretty soon.

Whats the long term probability he plays right field one day, and the cubs scrap the idea of him playing 3rd?

Whats the long term probability he plays right field one day, and the cubs scrap the idea of him playing 3rd?

That will likely depend on how his glove looks once he actually gets to the show. Right now, it seems pretty clear that their intentions are for him to play third. If he comes up and his defense sucks, then you'll likely see a change. However, I can't see him moving positions for a good 3 years, if ever.

Soler will play RF, if Bryant goes to the outfield it will be LF. They both possess plus arms, but Soler is more mobile.

Any info on where he starts this year?

Something tells me that we won't know until ST is almost over. From a business/financial standpoint, the Cubs are (in my mind) most likely going to hold him until they can gain the most team control. If he tears apart spring pitching, they might not have much of a choice.

Here's a good article to read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2366146-kris-bryant-is-the-cubs-best-option-as-their-opening-day-third-baseman

“We made that decision last year with Javy Baez. If we were just looking to protect the player's service clock, we wouldn't have called up Javy or Jorge Soler. It was the right time for their development and it was the right time for the team.

“When it's the right time for Kris' development, and the right time for the team, he'll be on the roster.”

They can't come out and say we're not bringing him up until we get an extra year of control otherwise the MLBPA files a grievance and likely wins.

Here's a good article to read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2366146-kris-bryant-is-the-cubs-best-option-as-their-opening-day-third-baseman

“We made that decision last year with Javy Baez. If we were just looking to protect the player's service clock, we wouldn't have called up Javy or Jorge Soler. It was the right time for their development and it was the right time for the team.

“When it's the right time for Kris' development, and the right time for the team, he'll be on the roster.”

I don't want to read! Isn't Soler different because he got a big international contract?

I don't want to read! Isn't Soler different because he got a big international contract?

Soler is signed to a 9 year, 30M deal that expires in 2020. The Cubs FO using Soler as an example is pure misdirection. Assuming he's up for good, the Cubs paid bargain basement prices for his arbitration years and an extra year beyond FA.

Baez, on the other hand, they can argue they ignored service time considerations, but not Soler.

Soler is signed to a 9 year, 30M deal that expires in 2020. The Cubs FO using Soler as an example is pure misdirection. Assuming he's up for good, the Cubs paid bargain basement prices for his arbitration years and an extra year beyond FA.

Baez, on the other hand, they can argue they ignored service time considerations, but not Soler.

Thought so. I'm like, if that cost them a bunch of money to bring up Soler last year, they're dumb. SPOILERS: They're not dumb. I get why these teams have to answer questions in certain ways, but it's kind of annoying when you can just read through it.

I can't wait to see the growing trend of keeping the best young relief pitchers in set up roles to avoid arbitration costs. "He's not ready yet".

I think the situation is pretty simple. If he shows he can handle big league pitching in Spring, and his bat is looking good and doing the talking, he stays. If he's hitting .220 and not showing he's ready to the coaching staff, it's pretty easy to see him going down to start the year.

To me, there's no point in stressing it and wondering every day what's gonna happen with him. No article and no reporter/insider knows anything. His Spring AB's will dictate where he goes.

I, for one, cannot WAIT to keep an eye on him (and Buxton) in the Spring. Gonna be fun.

I see this as good news for his chances at winning a roster spot...(Per ESPN/Rotowire)

Bryant will be used at both third base and in the outfield in spring training according to manager Joe Maddon, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
Spin:
The highly touted prospect will enter camp with a chance to earn a starting role with the club, and will get some work in the outfield despite exclusively playing third so far in the minors. The 23-year-old posted an impressive .325/.438/.661 line with 43 home runs combined between Double-A and Triple-A last season.

I see this as good news for his chances at winning a roster spot...(Per ESPN/Rotowire)

Bryant will be used at both third base and in the outfield in spring training according to manager Joe Maddon, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
Spin:
The highly touted prospect will enter camp with a chance to earn a starting role with the club, and will get some work in the outfield despite exclusively playing third so far in the minors. The 23-year-old posted an impressive .325/.438/.661 line with 43 home runs combined between Double-A and Triple-A last season.

Tommy LaStella is the projected 3b.

That bodes well for his chances to earn a roster spot.

It's just crazy that people think the Cubs are going to give up 15-20M for 2 to 3 weeks of Bryant.