Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

The way he is swinging the bat it will be tough for the Cubs to keep him off the Opening Day roster...

Still, for that extra year of control he may not be up until late April...Kind of like the Astros did with

Springer last season...

Very possible he could start opening day at this rate !

10% at best for me. Theo isn't a dumb dumb.

But making his case for being called up mid april, rather than may or june

Imagine how far he'll hit them when his body fills out...

Going to be really funny when he's sent down to AAA to "work on things." Too bad this complicated financial crap will get in the way of what should happen. The game used to be a lot more simple.

Going to be really funny when he's sent down to AAA to "work on things." Too bad this complicated financial crap will get in the way of what should happen. The game used to be a lot more simple.

I'm not sure what a good alternative is.

Couldnt the Cubs structure a deal much like the Rays have done with the likes of Matt Moore ?

Also, its not like the Cubs are a small market team and have to watch the pennies like the Rays and Astros

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7335303/matt-moore-tampa-bay-rays-reach-five-year-14-million-deal

Problem is scott boras is his agent. They'll have to break the bank sooner rather than later or else he will hit FA

Couldnt the Cubs structure a deal much like the Rays have done with the likes of Matt Moore ?

Also, its not like the Cubs are a small market team and have to watch the pennies like the Rays and Astros

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7335303/matt-moore-tampa-bay-rays-reach-five-year-14-million-deal

Problem is scott boras is his agent. They'll have to break the bank sooner rather than later or else he will hit FA

Also, if they hold him out for the few weeks like RotoFan suggested, they gain leverage on him to make that sort of deal. The Cubs aren't all in to win the World Series this year. If Bryant is a stud, that 20 million bucks for one year will certainly help them. Thats the price of an elite reliever for like 3 years. It's a lot of money to just flush down the toilet when you don't need to, even if you can afford it.

Sign him to a long-term deal right now.

I've been on board with sending him down too start the year for financial reasons but if he's clearly ready and you can't hurt the team by sending him down.

It's up to Mike Olt to prove he's better than KB at the moment.

Think how awkward it will be if Olt rakes to start the season and then the Cubs tell him to grab some bench when Bryant comes up. Olt isn't very good, but anyone can get hot for a few weeks. And he can run into one every now and then. Hell, Bryant might even get off to a slow start. Either way, I don't think it'll go over well in the clubhouse.

Sign him to a long-term deal right now.

I mean I don't see what the rule change alternatives there are. Why would the Cubs sign him to a long term deal now unless its really good for them, when they can leverage him better after those first few weeks?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brockpapersizer" data-cid="5371695" data-time="1426205365"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="96mnc" data-cid="5371650" data-time="1426203051"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="brockpapersizer" data-cid="5371625" data-time="1426201743"> It would have to be good for both.I'm just throwing out a number here, 6 years & 70m? Does Bryant turn that down?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="brockpapersizer" data-cid="5371695" data-time="1426205365"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="96mnc" data-cid="5371650" data-time="1426203051"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="brockpapersizer" data-cid="5371625" data-time="1426201743"> It would have to be good for both.I'm just throwing out a number here, 6 years & 70m? Does Bryant turn that down?

Scott Boras might. If he had any other agent, I think he is signed to the Cubs to a long term deal right now and plays Opening Day.

Do you realize how much money 6/70 is for a guy who hasn't seen a pitch in the MLB yet? You're paying 70M for all his cheap years while buying out none of his free agent years. For example, Rizzo was given 7/41 before last year. That bought out his final 4 years of cheap team control and 2 free agent years. Given Rizzo 70M for just his 6 years under control is throwing away 20+M rather than just going year to year.

Hit it out of the park? The center fielder almost caught that. You can see how close he got at the 33 second mark.

Do you realize how much money 6/70 is for a guy who hasn't seen a pitch in the MLB yet? You're paying 70M for all his cheap years while buying out none of his free agent years. For example, Rizzo was given 7/41 before last year. That bought out his final 4 years of cheap team control and 2 free agent years. Given Rizzo 70M for just his 6 years under control is throwing away 20+M rather than just going year to year.

6/70 too much for Bryant? I don't think so, not when the Dodgers just offered 30-year old Cuban Hector Olivera $77 million. Last time I checked, he hasn't seen a pitch in MLB yet, either, and probably won't be half the player Bryant is.

Why is it that Rusney Castillo, Jose Abreu, Jorge Soler, Yoan Moncada, Aroldis Chapman, Yasmany Tomas, Alex Guerrero, Yasiel Puig, Hector Olivera, Yoenis Cespedes, and Alexei Ramirez get paid that much without any MLB experience and it's okay, but it's not okay for someone like Bryant to get paid???

Just for an example of how much 6/70 is and how good Bryant would have to be to even get even money on this.

Year 1: 550k

year 2:750k

year 3: 1.5M

Year 4: Arb(1) 15M

Year 5: Arb(2) 20M

Year 6; Arb(3) 25M

and that still only totals just under 63M dollars total while breaking just about every arbitration record in the books.

6/70 too much for Bryant? I don't think so, not when the Dodgers just offered 30-year old Cuban Hector Olivera $77 million. Last time I checked, he hasn't seen a pitch in MLB yet, either, and probably won't be half the player Bryant is.

Why is it that Rusney Castillo, Jose Abreu, Jorge Soler, Hector Olivera, Yoenis Cespedes, and Alexei Ramirez get paid that much and it's okay? But it's not okay for someone like Bryant to get paid.

That's not how it works and you know it. Players coming up from the draft do not make that kind of money while under team control. If you want to complain that internationals players get way too much compared to draft eligible kids then by all means, but Bryant is not getting that kind of money and no draft eligible kid ever has.

All I'm saying is there is a giant double standard, and you complaining about trying to lock up Bryant right now sounds foolish when other players without MLB experience who aren't nearly as talented get locked up and, in fact, are set for life "without seeing an MLB pitch."

Why is it that Rusney Castillo, Jose Abreu, Jorge Soler, Yoan Moncada, Aroldis Chapman, Yasmany Tomas, Alex Guerrero, Yasiel Puig, Hector Olivera, Yoenis Cespedes, and Alexei Ramirez get paid that much without any MLB experience and it's okay, but it's not okay for someone like Bryant to get paid???

Apples to oranges and you know it. It would be beyond stupid for the Cubs to give him 6/$70M when, as Tryptamine stated above, he could basically be an MVP-caliber player and still make less than that during those 6 years where he's already under team control. Fair or not, that is the system that's in place.

I agree the double standard sucks, but it's not going to affect Bryant. David Price set the arbitration record this year at 19.75M in his 4th arbitration. In order to get to 6/70 Kris Bryant would have to break that arbitration record in every single year consecutively for 3 straight years. You could not offer him a 6 year contract and just go year to year and pay him much less money.

I agree the double standard sucks, but it's not going to affect Bryant. David Price set the arbitration record this year at 19.75M in his 4th arbitration. In order to get to 6/70 Kris Bryant would have to break that arbitration record in every single year consecutively for 3 straight years. You could not offer him a 6 year contract and just go year to year and pay him much less money.

Fair argument.

Let's make it 7 for 70 buying out one year of free agency.

Does Bryant turn it down?

Anyways, I think a fair offer right now would be 8/68.75 with 2 options years at a possible total of 10/108.75M, it leaves some meat on the bone for the Cubs to benefit, but also gives a guy with no MLB experience a huge amount of financial security.

year 1: 500K

year 2: 750K

Arb 1: 6M

Arb 2 10M

Arb 3 14M

FA 1 16M

FA 2 18M

Team Option:20M/2M buyout

Team Option 22M/2M buyout

Edit:This actually might be too high the more I think about it, based on that there is no actual track record of performance. This type of contract expects him to be an allstar just to break even.

Fair argument.

Let's make it 7 for 70 buying out one year of free agency.

Does Bryant turn it down?

No chance he turns it down, because as things stand right now the cubs are going to hold Rizzo for 6.95 or so years if they keep him down for 3 weeks. In order to do 70 or 7 years you'd have to do it something like this.

year 1: 500k

year 2: 750K

Arb 1:12M

Arb 2: 15M

Arb 3: 19M

Arb 4: 21M

So you're giving him record breaking aribtration buyouts without him having a single at bat. This isn't like Price who had 2 Cy Youngs or Trout who had put up consecutive 10+fWAR seasons. You'd be giving him MVP money based on blind faith.