Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Longoria's rookie year: 122 games, .272/.343./.531 27 HR, 7 SB

Any chance Bryant can top that his first year?

Not likely.

Longoria at age 21 had a K:BB of 110:73 in AA and AAA

At the same age, Bryant's K:BB is 35:11 across rookie, low A and A ball

Not likely.

Who cares about the K:BB ratio. Aoki and Scutaro were the top two guys in K:BB ratio. Are they anywhere close to being a top hitter? Hell no.

Most of the guys who have really how K rates as hitters are guys who don't have power. If you swing hard you will strikeout period.

I will be extremely surprised if Kris Bryant isn't a better hitter than Evan Longoria within 3 years.

Not likely.

Who cares about the K:BB ratio. Aoki and Scutaro were the top two guys in K:BB ratio. Are they anywhere close to being a top hitter? Hell no.

Most of the guys who have really how K rates as hitters are guys who don't have power. If you swing hard you will strikeout period.

I will be extremely surprised if Kris Bryant isn't a better hitter than Evan Longoria within 3 years.

Oh yea lol?

I bet a lot of people care about plate discipline and pitch recognition and MLB pitchers definitely care about it because they are going to see a hitter with holes galore to exploit. Bryant has a 29% K-rate in the AFL. At the MLB level, thats about 45% right now (thats Adam Dunn with contact issues lol). I'm not saying he can't make some adjustments, but he's nowhere near ready to match Longoria's rookie season right now.

Not likely.

Oh yea lol?

I bet a lot of people care about plate discipline and pitch recognition and MLB pitchers definitely care about it because they are going to see a hitter with holes galore to exploit. Bryant has a 29% K-rate in the AFL. At the MLB level, thats about 45% right now (thats Adam Dunn with contact issues lol). I'm not saying he can't make some adjustments, but he's nowhere near ready to match Longoria's rookie season right now.

Kris Bryant may already be a better hitter than Longoria.

How do you figure 29% in the AFL is 45% in the MLB. Keep in mind that a majority of Kris Bryant's Ks are not from being fooled but just simply because he swings hard often. Plus you have an elite talent that has an entire off season to improve.

Not likely.

Oh yea lol?

How do you figure 29% in the AFL is 45% in the MLB. Keep in mind that a majority of Kris Bryant's Ks are not from being fooled but just simply because he swings hard often. Plus you have an elite talent that has an entire off season to improve.

Isn't Longoria an elite talent who also has an entire off season to improve?

Not likely.

Oh yea lol?

Hahaha, what?

Re K-rate: I say that because pitchers in MLB are orders of magnitude better than pitchers in the AFL

Re Bryant's K's: Wow so even his outs are just part of Bryant's grand plan. That's amazing. He's probably the first MLB player to do what he wants to do 100% of the time, Bravo! I'm glad he never gets fooled too although I wish I had access to all of his AFL at-bats via video and also his thoughts so that I could know this like you do.

Longoria's AFL stats, 14-44(.318), 4 2b, 4 hr, 13:4 K:BB. And he had a 44:19 K;BB in his first minor league year. Obviously Bryant isn't a guarantee to reach the level Longoria has, but the comparisons aren't as ridiculous as people claim. It all depends how Bryant develops next season.

I'm confused was to what this even means?

You're expecting a quasi elite player (let's use the proper terms here, no one is taking Longoria top 15) to improve more than a college player freshly introduced to proball?

Longoria is a great player but over rated. He was the #1 prospect back in the day and has had a fine career. The reality of the matter is though he has never actually been elite. He wasn't even a top 5 player at his position the last two years (sure 2012 injuries). 3 years ago he was the 5th best 3B.

Longoria hasn't ever hit over .300 in a season on his career, OPSed over .900, hasn't had 100 RBI in the last 3 years, and hasn't had 100 runs in the last 4 years. Longoria just put out the worst K% in his career during his age 27 season.

If you don't think Kris Bryant can top those numbers you're nuts. Yeah I understand this is baseball and anything can happen, but Bryant hasn't done anything but increase his value since being drafted. Anyone arguing this is just a Longoria fan boy taking the argument personal. But it isn't a knock on Longoria, it's just praise on Bryant.

Kris Bryant's bat has perennial MVP contender written all over it. While Longoria is struggling to compete for Silver Slugger awards.

For those of you interested in seeing Bryant play. The AFL all star game is at 8 EST tonight on MLB Network. Almora and Soler will also be playing. Should be fun!

Not likely.

Oh yea lol?

Hahaha, what?

Re K-rate: I say that because pitchers in MLB are orders of magnitude better than pitchers in the AFL

Re Bryant's K's: Wow so even his outs are just part of Bryant's grand plan. That's amazing. He's probably the first MLB player to do what he wants to do 100% of the time, Bravo! I'm glad he never gets fooled too although I wish I had access to all of his AFL at-bats via video and also his thoughts so that I could know this like you do.

I think the point was, a 29% K rate in The AFL doesn't just automatically translate to a 45% K rate in the bigs. Honestly it probably doesn't even come close to 40%.

Honestly how many guys even strikeout 39% of the time? Not many if any. Now let's even focus that more towards elite prospects in their rookie season. None that come to my mind.

Even Chris Davis, Mark Reynolds, Pedro Alvarez, and Adam Dunn have never had a season in which they struck out 36% of the time or more. All of their K% are below 33% if not well below 33%.

A rookie season hitting .272 with 27 HRs is great. But after what we've recently seen with the "prodigy" rookies tearing through the minors and having early dominance in the bigs, I think you'd be a sucker to not think Bryant could at the least match Longoria's rookie season. Bryant has already demonstrated a better ability to hit for average as well as power when comparing them both at this stage of their career.... And in the power department Bryant is well up on where Longoria was at the same point in his career. Just compare college numbers for starters (remember Longoria didn't have a BBCOR bat either).

It has been quiet here. Any idea when we can expect him to get the call? Also among the eligible prospects, where do you guys personally rank him?

It has been quiet here. Any idea when we can expect him to get the call? Also among the eligible prospects, where do you guys personally rank him?

September at the earliest, and even that is unlikely. He hasn't even played a full season yet.

I have heard/read multiple scouts compare Bryant to one player: Troy Glaus. I think the Cubs would be ecstatic with someone Glaus-like. A .260-.270 hitter with 30+ power and 100+ RBI potential.

I'm confused was to what this even means?

You're expecting a quasi elite player (let's use the proper terms here, no one is taking Longoria top 15) to improve more than a college player freshly introduced to proball?

Longoria is a great player but over rated. He was the #1 prospect back in the day and has had a fine career. The reality of the matter is though he has never actually been elite. He wasn't even a top 5 player at his position the last two years (sure 2012 injuries). 3 years ago he was the 5th best 3B.

Longoria hasn't ever hit over .300 in a season on his career, OPSed over .900, hasn't had 100 RBI in the last 3 years, and hasn't had 100 runs in the last 4 years. Longoria just put out the worst K% in his career during his age 27 season.

If you don't think Kris Bryant can top those numbers you're nuts. Yeah I understand this is baseball and anything can happen, but Bryant hasn't done anything but increase his value since being drafted. Anyone arguing this is just a Longoria fan boy taking the argument personal. But it isn't a knock on Longoria, it's just praise on Bryant.

Kris Bryant's bat has perennial MVP contender written all over it. While Longoria is struggling to compete for Silver Slugger awards.

Just sort of perusing this thread to see what people thought of Bryant (I have longoria, but don't particularly take it as an affront if someone doesn't like him) but oh my. Let's just say this: it's never a good bet that a rookie will replicate a season like Longoria's rookie year. For all of the "Puig and these rookies nowadays do it as the norm", let's be honest. It was like 4 or 5 of them since Longo and Braun came up. To replicate the seasons Longoria has put up I think is more than possible , as the .275-30-90 lines aren't top 10, but with the scouting reports I've read about non-elite bat speed and some patience issues, we're getting way out ahead of ourselves here. He also may not stick at 3rd. Let's give longoria some credit, and some credit to how hard it is to hit like that in MLB. Sheesh.

If I had to, I'd bet on September. Pro experience is justification enough for the FO to keep him down a while; figures they want to see him in the majors before the 2015 off-season though.

First AB today and he smacks a 2 run blast to CF

Hopefully strings together a lot of games like this. Maybe he will get called up before years end.

Listening to Hughes live and got a huge grin on my face when that happened.

I have heard/read multiple scouts compare Bryant to one player: Troy Glaus. I think the Cubs would be ecstatic with someone Glaus-like. A .260-.270 hitter with 30+ power and 100+ RBI potential.

Years ago I was in an AL Only Ultra league (23 active, 17 bench). Because of the size of the bench, it was common for us to have a bunch of minor leaguers on our rosters. I remember in the spring of 1998, I drafted Glaus in one of the final couple of rounds ($2 rd) before he had even played pro ball. He rode the bench for me in '98, I froze him in '99, and he became my 3B stalwart that year. Had him at $2 that year, and extended him two years at $5 each after that, so I had him from 2000-02 at $12 each season. It was nice :).

If Bryant is a Glaus clone, then I hope to get a shot at him when he does come up.

Years ago I was in an AL Only Ultra league (23 active, 17 bench). Because of the size of the bench, it was common for us to have a bunch of minor leaguers on our rosters. I remember in the spring of 1998, I drafted Glaus in one of the final couple of rounds ($2 rd) before he had even played pro ball. He rode the bench for me in '98, I froze him in '99, and he became my 3B stalwart that year. Had him at $2 that year, and extended him two years at $5 each after that, so I had him from 2000-02 at $12 each season. It was nice :).

If Bryant is a Glaus clone, then I hope to get a shot at him when he does come up.

I'm hoping he has a better .avg than glaus.