Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

How come everyone is goo goo gaga over Baez, but knocking Bryant for his plate discipline? Baez has 0BB:7K's in spring. And in the minors he has had just atttttttttttttttttttttttttttrocious plate discipline. Baez has 4:1 K:BB ratio, only 54 walks in 916 plate appearances. Bryant is coming off a year in college where he had 66 BB's to 44 K's. Alvarez never came close to that. In his last year at Vandy he was 28:28 in half a season, but before that he K'd more than he walked. Like a lot of power guys he will probably have a 20+% K rate, but hopefully he can take his college plate discipline and approach and apply it to the professionals. He should hopefuly be a 10+% BB rate guy. In small sample sizes of rookie and A ball he had 10+% walk rates, and in A+ ball in a small sample size he had a 4.8% BB rate. And to the guy who said why do people care about K:BB rates? Because that is a sign of how good a hitter is. You can still be goood/fantasy relevant if you don't walk and K a lot, but the consistency will be all over the map. Guys who have good K:BB ratios have a tendency to be a lot more consistent and hit for a better average. It is a very important stat to analyze.

What is his eta? Mid to late 2015?

NNo no no. He's already 22. September 2014 or very early 2015 seem most likely if he's able to continue hitting eel.

Is that ETA for being up for good?

What is his eta? Mid to late 2015?

NNo no no. He's already 22. September 2014 or very early 2015 seem most likely if he's able to continue hitting eel.

Is that ETA for being up for good?

noone can say that for sure....but once he's up, he's likely up for good.

In 3 years I think this is the Cubs prospect that will be lighting up fantasy leagues. I think he will have a lot more big league success than Javier Baez. Houston is going to be kicking themselves in the face for passing on Bryant.

Where do you guys think he ranks in prospect lists in a few months from now?

Given that most guys currently ahead of him on prospect lists are guys who either definitely will, or very likely will, have MLB jobs shortly, thus taking them out of circulation... Bryant could be in the top 3-5 at that point.

Latos also intentionally hits him in his 2nd at bat. Bryant then walks in his 3rd at bat.

This guy is the crown jewel of the Cubs widely regarded system. I think he will be >> any of these other guys. If the Cubs are smart they will use some of the other guys to acquire some of MLB stars, and then have Bryant be the face of the youth movement. This guy can mash. I think Troy Glaus is a great comp for him.

You think he will have a better avg than glaus?

I don't think he will ever be a huge average guy. Glaus is one guy who I would be willing to bet played in the roid era without juicing. His body never really changed. He had the same frame as Bryant with the same light tower power. Its hard to tell what route Bryant's average will go as he has immense upside, but I think putting him in the Glaus category at this point is not unfair. If he became a player similiar to Glaus that would be huge in fantasy leagues post roid era.

Bryant is my #1 prospect, slightly edging out Baez for me.

Bryant is my #1 prospect, slightly edging out Baez for me.

Agreed on the first part. I think he is a good distance above all other hitting prospects.

Baez is a grade younger and probably has slightly more power and maybe more upside. But Bryant just looks to be the overall better hitter. Strikes out a bit less, walks more, hits for more average.

I don't think he will ever be a huge average guy. Glaus is one guy who I would be willing to bet played in the roid era without juicing. His body never really changed. He had the same frame as Bryant with the same light tower power. Its hard to tell what route Bryant's average will go as he has immense upside, but I think putting him in the Glaus category at this point is not unfair. If he became a player similiar to Glaus that would be huge in fantasy leagues post roid era.

If I'm not mistaken Glaus showed up in the Mitchell Report and disappeared.

In any case Bryant is gonna be a good face of the team. Also, don't sleep on Baez cause his walk rates haven't been good. They are improving. The talent is apparent.

In any case Bryant is gonna be a good face of the team. Also, don't sleep on Baez cause his walk rates haven't been good. They are improving. The talent is apparent.

i think Paul Goldschmidt might be a good comparison with him.

Good catch, I didn't even remember that. Here are the notes from his name being mentioned:

Glaus reportedly met with officials from the Commissioner's Office in September 2007. On December 6, 2007, the Commissioner's Office announced that there was insufficient evidence of a violation of the joint program in effect at the time of the conduct in question to warrant discipline of Glaus.

He did battle foot injuries late in his career. Perhaps he dabbled then. His body was pretty much the same from when he drafted until the end of his career though. He was always just a big framed guy. But I guess you never know who used and who didn't.

I hope he doesn't strike out as much as Glaus did.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, April 19, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, April 19, 2014 - No reason given

Another jack tonight. 2 for 2. Keep it rolling.

Another jack tonight. 2 for 2. Keep it rolling.

He reminds of when Stanton was crushing in the minors.

The problem is it could still be a few years til he's up for good....

Highly unlikely. He could easily make it out of camp next year. It's important we keep in mind that he's a college player not a high school player. He's 22 Years old, skipped LoA, was in HiA for just a playoff series essentially, and is in AA in his first full year as a Professional. If he can make it up to AAA this year, he'd easily be able to make it out of the Camp in 2015, and there's little doubt that he would be up by next years super 2 at the latest without a serious setback. A few years is a little ridiculous all things considered.