Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Topgun

Kyle Zimmer - SP KC

Read he was a top prospect for the Royals, never heard of him, thats why I love baseball,

you can learn something everyday. Somebody give me the 411 on this guy..................

From rotoworld:

"Royals top prospect RHP Kyle Zimmer tossed a complete-game shutout for High-A Wilmington on Saturday."

"Zimmer carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning before surrendering two hits in a complete-game effort. The 21-year-old walked two and recorded six strikeouts over seven innings. The outing was a step in the right direction for Zimmer, who was the fifth overall selection in the 2012 draft, as he struggled mightily over the first half of the season with a disappointing 1-6 record and 5.98 ERA, but impressive 71/25 K/BB in 58 2/3 innings. He'll look to turn things around over the final months of the season, and if all goes as planned, should finish the year in Double-A."

Maybe he is starting to figure it out?

he struck out 13 and gave up 4 hits and 1 run in his last outing.

from rotowire

Over his last three starts, he has a 1.80 ERA with a 26:2 K:BB over 20 innings. He now has 103 strikeouts over 84.2 innings this season and could be in line for a bump in level at some point soon.

zimmer says he's changed his mechanics a little bit when throwing out of the stretch, which is where he was having trouble. he played 3rd base until just a few years ago, so for him to have some mechanics issues isn't all that surprising. here's a link http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/10/4339510/zimmer-says-mechanical-change.html

Thanks for the updates guys. He is a very interesting propsect. Kansas city has not been the best at developing their young arms, so it's nice to see zimmer putting something together here.

People need to start taking notice of Zimmer.

Was on fire in his last few starts which led to a promotion to double A.

First start was today in double A: 6ip / 3 hits / 1 BB / 0 ER / 7 k's.

If he continues to dominate and finishes the season strong, I wouldn't be suprised if he's listed as a top 15-20 prospect on many lists.

Was really high on him coming out of college, and was a bit worried about lackluster start to pro ball by him. However, he looks damn good right now.

A 5.00 ERA in Single A this year .... Ouch. I know you said he's been hot of late, but I am not confident with how KC has developed their starters...

A 5.00 ERA in Single A this year .... Ouch. I know you said he's been hot of late, but I am not confident with how KC has developed their starters...

A handful of hideous starts. He's been on a roll, and seems to have turned a corner in his development. A top 5 pick from last year, the raw stuff is there, and even with the bad start, the K's were still there, which shows that the stuff is there

his single A numbers overall were not good.....but he has continued his recent moment into AA, 6 IP 7 K's 0 ER and 3 hits allowed in his texas league debut.

Anyone know why he only pitched 2 innings yesterday? Can't seem to find anything on the net.

Anyone know why he only pitched 2 innings yesterday? Can't seem to find anything on the net.

It is on twitter that he was taken out as a precaution after he felt arm stiffness.

Pulled for precautionary reasons due to arm stiffness, no injury found. It's unclear whether he'll make his next start or not.

Pulled for precautionary reasons due to arm stiffness, no injury found. It's unclear whether he'll make his next start or not.

At this point, I highly doubt it. Unless they have visions of him helping them for a playoff run with the big club, there's no reason to push it for the last 2/3 starts of the season. If he's OK, the next time I'd expect to see him is in the AFL.

I own him, haven't heard anything official, but I think, if there is a injury, or they fall out of the race, he will get some time with the big club.

Any more news on the kid? A cup of coffee towards the end of the season?

So what is the plan for Zimmer this season? I read somewhere that he just stated throwing.

What is the plan? Going back to AA or will they bring him up to AAA at some point? Just haven't heard very much.

per RW:

Royals prospect Kyle Zimmer (shoulder) is pitching in games at extended spring training.

The 22-year-old right-hander had to be shut down with a shoulder issue last August, so the Royals are easing him back into action this season. Zimmer was the fifth overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft.

From ESPN:

Zimmer (shoulder) continues to pitch in extended spring training, and remains on pace to join Double-A Northwest Arkansas in mid-to-late May, Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports.

Spin:Zimmer, who was the fifth overall pick in the 2012 Amateur Draft, has been dealing with biceps tendinitis and shoulder issues, which have delayed the start to his 2014 campaign. Once he's built up his arm strength to a satisfactory level, he'll join the rotation in Double-A, where he was 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA over four starts in 2013. If he can pick up where he left off upon his return, he could represent a dark horse candidate for a late-season call-up. Until that happens however, he can likely be ignored outside of dynasty and keeper leagues, where he should already be owned.

No new information really but at least its an update!