Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Jurickson Profar 2014 Outlook

Someone I will definitely be paying attention to and hope is being drafted fairly late because of his position in the lineup along with his performance last season.

If he starts receiving hype then I will not be drafting him but he has the potential to provide lots of value next season hitting in a pretty good lineup. It is still early and the Rangers may add another bat.

Safe to say he wont be relevant with Choo in the picture right?

he might not sniff the top of the lineup for awhile, but he will be playing every day and will get a chance to hit his way up.

Relevant playing every day but probably batting 9th. I doubt he moves up unless Andrus either has a historically bad year or gets injured, and even then they might put Martin at the 2 spot. If you believe in Profar's power/speed this year then he will be good.

Relevant playing every day but probably batting 9th. I doubt he moves up unless Andrus either has a historically bad year or gets injured, and even then they might put Martin at the 2 spot. If you believe in Profar's power/speed this year then he will be good.

Exactly he's going to hit lower in the lineup. Which actually will be better for his development.

other than getting less abs, the only way hitting 9th is a negative is if it means they won't be letting him run. i don't think hitting 9th will be all that dramatic of a determining factor when it comes to rbi and runs.

if he gets on, he'll still have big bats behind him to knock him in. plus, he should have ample opportunity to hit with men on base, given the strength and depth of the order.

so to me, it comes down to steals. does washington having a lead foot?

To me, it's less of an issue than if he was in the NL batting 8th. Big difference having a pitcher hitting behind you as opposed to the leadoff hitter. Yes, a few less ABs but that's it.

Not a lot of hype for him as I thought. Former top prospect, second year, premium position... He should be generating a lot of hype but I don't think he is ready to really be a fantasy star. Maybe he can go 10 and 10 this year with a decent avg... but I just think he will be an ok contributor across the board.

Not a lot of hype for him as I thought. Former top prospect, second year, premium position... He should be generating a lot of hype but I don't think he is ready to really be a fantasy star. Maybe he can go 10 and 10 this year with a decent avg... but I just think he will be an ok contributor across the board.

I have him in a league where I can keep him forever but need to dedicate a top 6 round pick for him. I'm probably passing.

Pros: Elite Prospect, great eye, manager likes to run, great ballpark

Cons: Will be hitting at in the bottom 3rd of a lineup, and its unlikely he'll be able to outhit the big names. Power seems a few years away and not sure of his realistic upside. Was a poor base stealer in 13, and who knows what kind of speed he has.

Im think his upside is probably a Pedroia, but it might be a couple years away. Someone change my mind, please.

Anthony Andro@aandro 6m

Rangers manager Ron Washington said as of now the plan is for Leonys Martin to leadoff for Rangers

Saw this play out with Segura last year.....Obviously not the same player, I just wouldn't read too much into that. If you believe in Profar then this should have no bearing on his value. As a result, maybe you can get him a round later, though.

Plus the AL is a lot different than the NL, with the pitchers spot and such, having guys in the 7-8 spot in an NL line up just stinks.

Anthony Andro@aandro 6m

Rangers manager Ron Washington said as of now the plan is for Leonys Martin to leadoff for Rangers

Saw this play out with Segura last year.....Obviously not the same player, I just wouldn't read too much into that. If you believe in Profar then this should have no bearing on his value. As a result, maybe you can get him a round later, though.

Plus the AL is a lot different than the NL, with the pitchers spot and such, having guys in the 7-8 spot in an NL line up just stinks.

The Martin thing was also before the got Choo.

Projected lineup now

Order Pos # Player Bats Age Prospect Rank ETA Notes

shin-soo choo 1 LF 17 Shin-Soo Choo FA L 31

elvis andrus 2 SS 1 Elvis Andrus R 25

prince fielder 3 1B 84 Prince Fielder T L 29

adrian beltre 4 3B 29 Adrian Beltre R 34

alex rios 5 RF 51 Alex Rios R 32

mitch moreland 6 DH 18 Mitch Moreland L 28

geovany soto 7 C 8 Geovany Soto R 31

jurickson profar 8 2B 13 Jurickson Profar S 20

leonys martin 9 CF 2 Leonys Martin L 25

I have him in a league where I can keep him forever but need to dedicate a top 6 round pick for him. I'm probably passing.

Pros: Elite Prospect, great eye, manager likes to run, great ballpark

Cons: Will be hitting at in the bottom 3rd of a lineup, and its unlikely he'll be able to outhit the big names. Power seems a few years away and not sure of his realistic upside. Was a poor base stealer in 13, and who knows what kind of speed he has.

Im think his upside is probably a Pedroia, but it might be a couple years away. Someone change my mind, please.

If this was a one or two year keeper I would probably not do it, but for a forever keeper? I think I might take the sixth round pick. He will always be playing a shallow position (could eventually move to short if anything ever happens to Andrus ). He will be hitting at the bottom third of the lineup to start this year, but that can always change on performance. This could seems like a lock to be a solid 2 hitter for his career.

Kid's having a torrid spring thus far. Assuming he shows competency manning 2B defensively, he seems set for a starting job.

I didn't see him much last season, but it looks like he's put some significant mass on his body too.

Showed some pretty impressive power on this HR:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31452633/texsd-profar-blasts-a-grand-slam-to-right-field

Any thoughts on his performance thus far? Anyone targeting him a primary 2B or MI?

Kid's having a torrid spring thus far. Assuming he shows competency manning 2B defensively, he seems set for a starting job.

I didn't see him much last season, but it looks like he's put some significant mass on his body too.

Showed some pretty impressive power on this HR:

http://m.mlb.com/vid...-to-right-field

Any thoughts on his performance thus far? Anyone targeting him a primary 2B or MI?

i did, and got him this weekend for a lot cheaper than i anticipated paying in a keeper league ($8 in a price inflated auction). honestly i've been quiet on this kid so far because i don't want to get ahead of myself, but i wouldn't even be shocked if he becomes a top 5 SS or 2B by years end. he's got so much talent, and i'm glad he kind of fell on his face a bit last year (given an unreasonable environment for him to produce) so he's attainable for cheap. I can say with honesty, and this is probably setting myself up for disappointment, but it's how i feel, that there's no one on my team i'm more excited about this year than this guy. can't wait to watch him this year knowing he's my property for possibly years to come!

Profar is 2B, 3B, and SS eligible in Yahoo leagues. Let that sink in for a minute.

I'd say there's a 95% chance he's startable at at least one of those positions this season. Just last season Profar was the biggest prospect in baseball. Sure, he had a tough time getting acclimated last year, but he was never really locked in to one position or spot in the order. He was moved all over the place and not always getting consistent ABs. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that he didn't take off. Now that he's the everyday 2B, I expect he will start delivering on his huge potential.

He's a solid pickup in standard mixed leagues thanks to his positional eligibility, a very valuable player in AL onlys, and in any sort of keeper/dynasty setting with more than 1-2 years of keepability, he's gold!

Does anyone think he gets some time at ss this year so he becomes ss eligible next season?

Barring an injury to Andrus I doubt he will get enough time in an ESPN league. With the loose qualifications at Yahoo it is almost a sure thing he starts 5 games at SS.

Does anyone think he gets some time at ss this year so he becomes ss eligible next season?

I would guess yes

I could see him outperforming beaugarts by a lot this year. If he starts hitting well and is moved to the top of the order watch out. From what I've seen this spring he's looked pretty good.

just snagged him in a keeper league draft with ~135th overall pick. im honestly not sure if i reached way too much here, but i love the rangers and i love this kid. his multi position eligibility helps a lot as well.

does anyone who knows his game fairly well want to throw some projections out for this year? also can someone elaborate on his upside in future years? this guy is so talented and it looks like he can do any number of things, but i would love to know where you fellas think his needle is going to land.