Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Julio Teheran 2014 Outlook

yea, it's funny no one was posting in here during the game.

his two seamer is almost cartoonish. i don't remember seeing him get so much movement on it last year.

yea, it's funny no one was posting in here during the game.

his two seamer is almost cartoonish. i don't remember seeing him get so much movement on it last year.

I wanted to post by the end of the 4th but didnt want to jinx it for you owners. :D

They left him in to hit in the top of the 9th with two on and no outs with the score 1-0. That says something.

They left him in to hit in the top of the 9th with two on and no outs with the score 1-0. That says something.

there were 2 outs when there was 2 on. either way, there's no doubt the Braves feel he's an ace.

there were 2 outs when there was 2 on. either way, there's no doubt the Braves feel he's an ace.

Top of the 9th. They left him in to hit. He bunted them over. The top of the lineup didn't bring them in.

Top of the 9th. They left him in to hit. He bunted them over. The top of the lineup didn't bring them in.

my bad misread that.

This guy can pitch. He usually throws for more K's however, but his stuff is looking good I take it? Maybe more Ks will come?

This guy can pitch. He usually throws for more K's however, but his stuff is looking good I take it? Maybe more Ks will come?

They should. He's definitely below his average.

I was just complaing about him to another owner before the game about his K rate, but then he pitches me a CG shutout so I will easily take that with just 4 Ks

Hes got a .239 BABIP and a xFIP of 4.66 and FIP of 3.79.

That's real scary..

That's real scary..

I am not Bill james but it is my understanding those stats don't have a whole lot of meaning over the course of four starts. I think it's be more prudent to take a look at those peripherals after ~ 10 starts and start to make judgments at that point.

That said, I do hope he starts missing more bats. But hard to judge off 4 starts...

That's real scary..

...if those were fantasy categories, sure.

Why is it in every thread I go into for someone who's off to a good start there's always someone throwing negative sabermetrics in your face. So basically we should sell off every player off to a promising start. Yeah, that's how you win leagues...

Why is it in every thread I go into for someone who's off to a good start there's always someone throwing negative sabermetrics in your face. So basically we should sell off every player off to a promising start. Yeah, that's how you win leagues...

I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand, "negative sabermetrics" were helpful in me making the decision to sell high on Jordan Zimmermann last June. They shouldn't be the final word, just a piece of the puzzle.

I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand, "negative sabermetrics" were helpful in me making the decision to sell high on Jordan Zimmermann last June. They shouldn't be the final word, just a piece of the puzzle.

Exactly. Doesn't mean you should drop a player just because of "negative sabermetrics" but it allows you to see things that used to not be taken into consideration.

But if all the numbers point down.

Again, just pointing out that he now has a xFip of 4.61.

Advanced metrics are a good tool, but you do have to keep in mind their limits. Ricky Nolasco was the king of the, "He may have sucked this year, but he was just really unlucky... look at his xFIP!!!" And Jeremy Hellickson was always the reverse: his xFIP was always 4.5+ and he always turned in something just above 3.

But I wouldn't buy that hard into Teheran's start, regardless. He's not a 1.93ERA pitcher. He's about a 2.8 - 3.3, with a median expectation over 3 instead of under it. His xFIP is also being driven by a K-rate lower than any he has posted in his entire career. So that is also bound for a correction in a positive direction.

Just like we use xFIP to predict the reality of more common stats such as ERA, you have to look at the stats underlying things such as xFIP to think about their reality.

Advanced metrics are a good tool, but you do have to keep in mind their limits. Ricky Nolasco was the king of the, "He may have sucked this year, but he was just really unlucky... look at his xFIP!!!" And Jeremy Hellickson was always the reverse: his xFIP was always 4.5+ and he always turned in something just above 3.

But I wouldn't buy that hard into Teheran's start, regardless. He's not a 1.93ERA pitcher. He's about a 2.8 - 3.3, with a median expectation over 3 instead of under it. His xFIP is also being driven by a K-rate lower than any he has posted in his entire career. So that is also bound for a correction in a positive direction.

And that's the difference between reciting numbers and understanding them folks, A+ work good sir

6k's through 4. Hope you're happy.

Looks great out there right now.

There were a couple line drives hit right at people... Ozuna line drive to 3rd base comes to mind, with a man on 3rd. That ended the inning and saved a run. But still, he had trouble locating his slider early, but got it fixed from the 3rd inning on, and his slider turned nasty. Got a lot of strikeouts that way. Was also painting the black a few times with 92 mph heat. Solid start against a good hitting team.