Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Edwin Encarnacion 2014 Outlook

Ed's gonna be 31. He had wrist surgery in September. Two months was the estimated recovery time.

It's a little bit of cause for concern. Still, I love the guy. Worth a first round pick. If healthy, 35+ HR and 100+ RBI in the bank.

Plus, he might be 3b eligible in some formats. 10 games there last year.

For 1B, i like him over Fielder and Votto ... i like him less than Goldschmidt ... not sure where i put chris Davis in that mix.

Like you said, once healthy E3 is 35+ HRs and 100+ RBIs in the bank. Along with an elite OBP and last but not least a handful of SBs that could come in handy. Personally I prefer Chris Davis, however they are both very close and should go in the 5-9th range in the first round.

Posted · Hidden by Red Sox Nation, January 1, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Red Sox Nation, January 1, 2014 - No reason given

I'll leave this article right here.

I'm trying to trade Joey Votto for EE in my main league, because I believe in EE that much next year.

I can't blame you after their compartive years last year. But I would highly recomend against this. Votto is just a far better hitter who had what may end up being the worst year of his career. His OBP + 40 HRs from Bruce will be a whole lot of run production. Plus for what it's worth Votto saw more pitches than anyone in the league.

Posted · Hidden by Red Sox Nation, January 1, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Red Sox Nation, January 1, 2014 - No reason given

I'm trying to trade Joey Votto for EE in my main league, because I believe in EE that much next year.

Seems like a no brainer, I think E3 is much more valuable than Votto imo.

Beat me to it I was going to post this. And 31 is nothing, especially for a low-strikeout 1b. He can be elite for 3 more years. 31 is the back end of his prime, but still his prime. I'm all over EE this year. Hopefully Reyes stays healthy and he can tack on a few more rbis. Injuries are certainly a concern with this guy, but if healthy he's a 30 hr 90 rbi lock with 40 hr 120 rbi upside.

I mentioned this in the ESPN top-250 thread, but I'll mention it here too.

EE should be considered for 3rd pick of the draft. His name is never mentioned, but if I had that pick, I'd really think about it. As a matter of fact, in leagues where he's eligible at 3B, I probably wouldn't think about it much.

He's everything you want in a 1st rounder after Trout/Cabrera go off the board. Not only is he good, but he's a safe 1st round pick because he does not strike out. It's rare to find a power hitter like him who doesn't strike out.

i'm really bullish like you guys seem to be ... but i do need to see him crush some stuff in the spring just to be assured that wrist surgery is well in the past.

wasn't it last year that his teammate... what's his name? how could i forget it... seriously, that dude? batista. yea, him. he had wrist surgery in september 2013 and did ok in 2013.

i'm really bullish like you guys seem to be ... but i do need to see him crush some stuff in the spring just to be assured that wrist surgery is well in the past.

wasn't it last year that his teammate... what's his name? how could i forget it... seriously, that dude? batista. yea, him. he had wrist surgery in september 2013 and did ok in 2013.

I believe that the wrist injury was a lingering problem for EE last year and he still did well.

Wrist and hand injuries always scare me. They sap power away and seem to reoccur very often. See Bautista 2012, Sandoval 2013, Granderson 2013, etc.

Just a general rule of mine never to draft guys with any sort of lingering wrist injury.

The wrist injury is something to surely keep track of, and we should definitely pay attention to his spring training. It should also be noted he was playing through the wrist pain for a while, and his August/September homer rates were the same. I'm not sure when it happened, I'm just saying while he was in pain he was still hitting long balls at an elite rate.

I believe that the wrist injury was a lingering problem for EE last year and he still did well.

The only thing about EE is that he is not a .300 hitter. His homers are elite but i want my first rounder to be able to contribute elite in at very least 4 Cats. I give him elite R,RBI,HR. So So average .270ish. Good for a CI in steals about 10-12. I have him with a late first round grade. I would rather get a Cargo or Hanley type talent with my first and try to get a Beltre,Wright, or Longo at the turn.

EE has been one of the best hitters in baseball the past two years despite a .256 .BABIP. His batting average is certainly capable of being better.

His BABIP has been pretty low the past couple years. There's no real explanation for it really. He hits alot of line drives and generally makes great contact (I'm a jays fan).

If you were a Vegas style fantasy player, you'd look at his career BABIP and decide this was the year he normalizes it with something outrageous like a .340 BABIP and ends up hitting .320 with 40 homers.

Fly ball hitters often have lower babips. It's seemingly one of the trade offs you make for more power.

Fly ball hitters often have lower babips. It's seemingly one of the trade offs you make for more power.

He has solid line-drive rates too, so he's not just your typical big fly guy. His xBA puts him as damn near a .300 hitter. I think that his 2013 BA likely represents his 2014 floor with the likely expectation that he his closer to 0.290 than to 0.270.

Guy is one of the safer bets to hit .280, 35 HR, 100+ RBI with a little room for upside there. If Reyes says healthy and Bautista improves even modestly from an otherwise dismal 2013, he could definitely approach the 120+ RBI range and top 1B billing.

I have him slightly behind Goldschmidt and essentially dead even with Chris Davis (who I think is slightly more power, a bit less AVG) at the 1B #2 and #3 slots. Should be a top 10 selection and anything thereafter is a huge steal.

My personal rule is to NEVER pay full value for a guy coming off a wrist injury or shoulder surgery. Given that most are projecting EE to be a first rounder there's no way he's going to be on any of my teams.

My personal rule is to NEVER pay full value for a guy coming off a wrist injury or shoulder surgery. Given that most are projecting EE to be a first rounder there's no way he's going to be on any of my teams.

My same thoughts. Give me Beltre or Longo in the second

My same thoughts. Give me Beltre or Longo in the second

Wrist injuries sap power. Plain and simple. Have to be weary of E5 this year.

Surgery in September with a two month rehab expected. Even if that is extended wildly to 4 months, he's still easily in line to have a full, healthy offseason with no lingering issues. You guys did point out some random examples of guys who struggled after the wrist, but I am sure there are plenty of guys who came back 100%.

Bank on 35 HR and 100+RBI. He's no #3, but I don't see why he can't be considered for picks 8-12.

Surgery in September with a two month rehab expected. Even if that is extended wildly to 4 months, he's still easily in line to have a full, healthy offseason with no lingering issues. You guys did point out some random examples of guys who struggled after the wrist, but I am sure there are plenty of guys who came back 100%.

Bank on 35 HR and 100+RBI. He's no #3, but I don't see why he can't be considered for picks 8-12.

Go ahead and name some guys that had major wrist surgery and didn't take at least a full year to regain their power stroke.

Go ahead and name some guys that had major wrist surgery and didn't take at least a full year to regain their power stroke.

Encarnacion didn't have major wrist surgery.

He just had Cartridge removed, no structural damage was ever done to his wrist.

I'd agree id stay away if he had a major surgery... this was not major. Hell be fine. Don't let this guy slip. He's a beast in Toronto.

Good to hear there aren't major concerns with the surgery. His BABIP was a ridiculously low .247 last year...and he still mashed with 36 bombs and 104 rbi...in my OBP league, he is pure gold...especially with Yahoo's 1B/3B eligibility!