Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Edwin Encarnacion 2014 Outlook

I think he gets it up to at least .280 this year. He cut his K% by 4% to just 10% last year and his avg went down because of a .247 BABIP even though his LD% went up 4% to 21.6.

Encarnacion is a lock as a 1st rounder but he's going in the 2nd and sometimes the 3rd round on Yahoo. It's lunacy.

His numbers say his skills are possibly getting better and despite being very consistent, he might actually have a higher level.

I think in a healthy Jays lineup he could get to .290/100/40/120 with 3b eligibility.

im surprised when i hear people ranking fielder ahead of him

probably due to it being Texas

Everything this year points to E5 having another great year and even improving his average. Should I be worried about the wrist injury? I posted a while ago about that injury being a concern but haven't heard anything about it since.

One thing underrated about him also is the little SB contribution. 13 in 2012 and 7 in a shortened year last year. If someone on these forums can persuade me the injury isn't a concern than he would be a sure fire target of mine in a lot of leagues.

He's avalible in my12 team AL only league this year. Knowing Albert went for 42 and Fielder wet for 40 last year expect EE to go for the same money.

He will put up similar numbers to Fielder but will add 12-14 steals. I'll spend on him before I spend on Fielder.

Any insight on if he will play at 3B regularly this season? He's back to being 1B only in my ESPN league.

Any insight on if he will play at 3B regularly this season? He's back to being 1B only in my ESPN league.

Doubtful he even plays a game there.

can anyone shed some light on the severity of encarnacion's wrist injury and what the likelihood is of him re-aggravating it? have any other players recently had the same surgery?

he seems like one player who'll make or break some fantasy teams this year.

anyone seen him this spring? guy looks ready to rip or what?

Has looked fine so far this spring.

He's 3b eligible in Yahoo $ leagues. He's a legitimate pick at the back end of the 1st round w/ 3b eligibility.

not sure why it's be 'back' of the first ... i start to consider him at 4th overall ... 40 hrs and 3b eligibility is tough to beat ... you don't get the speed of cargo or mccutch, but he's less of an injury risk than cargo, and, well im not sure why, but 'experts' are always sayin mccutch is a regression candidate. i've heard this for two years now, so its probly bs.

Maybe because that's always where I draft :unsure:

I'd take him over Cargo too fwiw. I just don't see him going early that often.

Nobody concerned about the fact that he lost 14 feet off his avg HR distance last year? 413 to 399 is a pretty scary drop. Lowest since 2008

Nobody concerned about the fact that he lost 14 feet off his avg HR distance last year? 413 to 399 is a pretty scary drop. Lowest since 2008

Nope. Watched him everyday, he's a monster.

Not really. His .247 BABIP was the fourth lowest in the majors last year, and he still put up great numbers. There is additional upside here. I am a little concern about the wrist, though. Still, really considering jumping on this guy in the 2nd if he makes it to me.

Extremely bullish on him now that he's playing in Spring. I have no concerns on his wrist. Honestly surprised he hasn't gotten more hype. I got him for 34$ in my auction, was willing to pay 42$.

People forgot he missed 20 games last year because of the late injury. He could have had another 40 HR season. 3B eligible is so glorious in Yahoo. You can pretty much book 30/100/90 with this guy as a floor. His average should go up, as other have mentioned, that BABIP is so low for a guy with average speed and great power. He could be a .290/400 type player just with normal luck this year. I just don'd understand why he's rated so low by some people. He will even kick in some SB (averaged 9 SB per year last 3 years). I definitely would take him over Beltre (he went for $40 in my league, I was ecstatic).

His batted ball distance actually increased in 2013 from 2012

2012 - 284.7 ft

2013 - 291.5 ft

His HR/FB was only slightly down from last year. 18.7% to 17.6%

hitttracker had him tied for 2nd in "No Doubt" Hr's hit last year with 12. Leader was Crush Davis with 13

I'm not concerned

Posted · Hidden by Red Sox Nation, March 10, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Red Sox Nation, March 10, 2014 - No reason given

I have him in a 7 player AL only keeper league at 23.00 . I can extend him another year for 5.00 making him 28.00. He only qualifies at DH/ 1b in my league. Would you extend him ? Its my first league this league Big name players go for big bucks.

Who do you take first if your choosing him or Beltre?

Edwin should hit more homers, maybe 10 more even which is pretty significant. But Beltre should also hit for a higher average, maybe even 30-40 points higher, which is also significant. Encarnacion has consistently had low BABIP's for years now, he's an extreme fly ball hitter. He strikes out very little so I think he's not a risk to bat .250 or something unless he got extremely unlucky, but I think its also unlikely he hits .300. Beltre not only hits .300+ but he never walks so he puts together more hits and AB's (last year he led the league in hits) so his average has more of an impact. But again, its pretty clear that Encarnacion will hit more homers given a full season for each.

It's splitting hairs either way, but if your late in the first round I think this is a decision a lot of people will make so its worth thinking about.

This guy is a beast plain and simple. From a fanalytics standpoint for my money he was the most impressive player in baseball, particularly in the 2nd half. I mean a guy with his power sporting a 88% contact rate and a 1.32 BB/K, that's rare. In the second half he had a godly 2.12 BB/K thanks to a 90% contact rate and 16.2% walk rate. His batted ball profile has also improved last season, the FB rate dropped to 43% while the LD rate jumped to an above average 22% coupled with his power a 25% hit rate is about as unlucky as it gets. The only problem is he is so good now that he might not be on my team, unless I reach for him in the 1st, which is a strong possibility if I'm convinced the wrist won't be an issue.

This guy is a beast plain and simple. From a fanalytics standpoint for my money he was the most impressive player in baseball, particularly in the 2nd half. I mean a guy with his power sporting a 88% contact rate and a 1.32 BB/K, that's rare. In the second half he had a godly 2.12 BB/K thanks to a 90% contact rate and 16.2% walk rate. His batted ball profile has also improved last season, the FB rate dropped to 43% while the LD rate jumped to an above average 22% coupled with his power a 25% hit rate is about as unlucky as it gets. The only problem is he is so good now that he might not be on my team, unless I reach for him in the 1st, which is a strong possibility if I'm convinced the wrist won't be an issue.

I voiced concerns about him earlier in this thread due to his wrist surgery but your post about his season last year is spot on (and doesn't get enough attention IMO).

If there aren't/weren't any wrist issues you could justify taking him at #5 in a redraft league. Better average than Davis, better eye to insulate his numbers than Jones, more power than Votto, better injury history and consistency than Hanley, better lineup than Wright, better average and lineup than Longo, younger than Beltre.

would even the most bullish of him bump him above mccutchen? i know mccutchen is a horse, but i just don't trust guys who run to stay healthy. i like my plodding boppers. edwin fits the bill. amazing how under the radar he is.

I voiced concerns about him earlier in this thread due to his wrist surgery but your post about his season last year is spot on (and doesn't get enough attention IMO).

If there aren't/weren't any wrist issues you could justify taking him at #5 in a redraft league. Better average than Davis, better eye to insulate his numbers than Jones, more power than Votto, better injury history and consistency than Hanley, better lineup than Wright, better average and lineup than Longo, younger than Beltre.

and he walked more times than he K'd last year, which, IMO, is a remarkable achievement.

I'm all over EE this year……have him in almost all of my leagues.

expectations:

35 hr

90 r

100 rbi

.380 obp