Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Edwin Encarnacion 2014 Outlook

Just think what could've happened if he'd never been injured.

We'll find out next season

I can't wait. I have to think these injuries really slowed him down.

But honestly looking at Edwin's career he's consistently missed a decent amount of games on an annual basis.

Since he became a full time player for a vast majority of the season in 2006, he has averaged 125.8 games played in the MLB per season. Even if you count all the minor league games 2006 - 2014 (virtually all rehab assignments) it only jumps up to 130.9 games per year.

Honestly let's assume he plays the remaining 6 games (counting today) those numbers change to games in the MLB: 126.4 and total professional games to : 131.6, he's still over 30 games shy of the total 162. Even his 3 year average going into the season was 142.333, which now drops to 140.333 if he plays all of the remaining 5 games.

So he's the kind of guy you can almost count on to hit the 15 day at least once a season as well as have some day to day stuff.

So really it comes down to each end of the spectrum:

The high end: if Edwin is healthy had plays 150+ games you could be looking at a top 5 bat.

The low end: He only plays 139 games and his per game production is slightly hampered from dealing with nagging quad injuries

He has to be a top 20 pick next year either way, really I think he'd be a steal at 20 in next year's draft. He was going in the 12 - 20 (mostly in the top 16) range this year and his season despite the injuries was still a very productive season. On a per game basis he still produced everyone other than Tulo the player more notable for his injury-proneness. He right now has a better Yahoo! Season Avg ranking than everyone hitter in Yahoo's top 25 players, other than Tulo.

He's like 13 RBI behind the league leader while missing 6 weeks. He would have easily had that IMO and would likely have the home run lead as well. It wasn't just the time missed, but it was the extended slump that came after as well.

35/100 in under 130 games is a nasty season in this day in age.

Edwin is still ranked 29 overall while having missed all that time. If you add in a month of replacement level 3B to those numbers its easily top 20. He will be worth the top 20 selection as a result. Now with 3 years of an elite track record, he is a pretty safe pick. Also consider the damage he will do once he finally has a healthy season - he would probably be a top 10 pick the following year universally.

Pretty obvious that E5 is a top 10 player when healthy. He seems to always miss a small amount of time which limits his season totals and his overall value. He's a at worst a second round pick. As much as I like Altuve, who projects to be a 2nd round pick, would anyone draft him over E5? I don't think so. E5 is one of the top 3 power hitters in the game, and he still hits for a decent average. You can't pass on that.

He's like 13 RBI behind the league leader while missing 6 weeks. He would have easily had that IMO and would likely have the home run lead as well. It wasn't just the time missed, but it was the extended slump that came after as well.

35/100 in under 130 games is a nasty season in this day in age.

Yup. Probably took a while to get back to feeling good, and now he's looking healthy in September with a .316/.400/.582 triple slash, 6 bombs and 20 rbi. Truly an elite slugger. And the funnest to own.

He went in the top 10 in my big money league this year. I'd personally have no problem taking him there next year as well dudes an animal

He was the 2nd or 3rd overall player in my league (points league) which penalizes strikeouts. He probably has the least strikeouts of any power hitter out there right now, which is huge in my league. Such a beast and so fun to own.

He was the 2nd or 3rd overall player in my league (points league) which penalizes strikeouts. He probably has the least strikeouts of any power hitter out there right now, which is huge in my league. Such a beast and so fun to own.

He and Bautista have the same K/AB ratio, and Bautista has a better K/BB ratio, which leads me to think that he has a higher chnace of repeating those numbers. They both are also beat by Victor Martinez, who has the lowest # of strikeouts between ALL qualified hitters. That being said EE still is a top 7 in that format in particular, and probably a top 10 in all formats if he can stay healthy in 2015.