Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Jay Bruce 2014 Outlook

Can anybody explain to me what makes him better than picking Trumbo or Myers later on?

Cost certainty. Barring disaster we know what Bruce is going to do this year based on his consistent track record.

With Trumbo you don't know how he's going to adjust to a new league, where he's going to hit in the lineup, or how low his BA might be.

With Myers you don't know how he'll adjust to the adjustments that he's going to face this year.

I think the biggest difference between Bruce & Trumbo is that Bruce was a big time prospect coming up, and he's still young enough, where people think he might be able to take his game to another level.

Myers is simply in another, much lesser, tier for the reasons you gave (track record).

BxBOMBERs28, I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was referring to a reduction in whining due to mevins31 no longer owning Bruce.

ohhh gotcha.lol. I think Mevins will still be around. Nothing sweeter than visiting a comment thread when a player you traded is slumping.lol

He's my favorite player in baseball, and as a Reds fan believe me I don't want to see him struggling.

Give the Rotoworld forums a small break...For all the Bruce bashing you have done over the years no one will ever buy that statement...

I could prove it to you if I felt like it but I don't really care what you think... you who speaks for the Rotoworld forums.

Honestly, nothing you say will ever be taken seriously by myself or anyone else with a memory and a shred of common sense...

Ha. I have a lot more credibility than you that's for sure. Knock me all you want but I know this player and this game. Not going to let you start a bunch of stuff when I'm in here trying to talk baseball. Quit being that way you woman.

There's nothing about jay Bruce I could be asked that I haven't seen or couldn't answer. I've followed his career very, very close.

Can anybody explain to me what makes him better than picking Trumbo or Myers later on?

Cost certainty. Barring disaster we know what Bruce is going to do this year based on his consistent track record.

With Trumbo you don't know how he's going to adjust to a new league, where he's going to hit in the lineup, or how low his BA might be.

With Myers you don't know how he'll adjust to the adjustments that he's going to face this year.

I think the biggest difference between Bruce & Trumbo is that Bruce was a big time prospect coming up, and he's still young enough, where people think he might be able to take his game to another level.

Myers is simply in another, much lesser, tier for the reasons you gave (track record).

In addition, I'm a little afraid of how Trumbo will adjust to NL pitching. Bruce appears to have a high floor (whereas Trumbo and Myers have a pretty low floor), hence his adp.

He has been becoming more consistent, which is good evidence of a "breakout". Bruce has yet to breakout into the hitter most of us have hoped for.

He has been becoming more consistent, which is good evidence of a "breakout". Bruce has yet to breakout into the hitter most of us have hoped for.

Really? 3 straight years of 30+ HRs and ~100RBIs is below what we hoped for? How much further can we hope you goes? Or are you only referring to his AVG? I don't know if we can reasonably expect the AVG to go up much further... He's got one of the worst Contact% of anyone in the MLB and he swings-and-misses a ton. Not sure how much higher we can expect his LD% to go.

No doubt his final stats have been consistent the past three years, but what would be a "breakout" for him? .280/40/100/120/10? Is that realistic?

Really? 3 straight years of 30+ HRs and ~100RBIs is below what we hoped for? How much further can we hope you goes? Or are you only referring to his AVG? I don't know if we can reasonably expect the AVG to go up much further... He's got one of the worst Contact% of anyone in the MLB and he swings-and-misses a ton. Not sure how much higher we can expect his LD% to go.

No doubt his final stats have been consistent the past three years, but what would be a "breakout" for him? .280/40/100/120/10? Is that realistic?

Matt Pouliot thinks so. "Bruce is going to have a 40HR/120RBI season before he's done"

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/smart-money-on-hanley-ramirez-jay-bruce-in-prop-bets/

Who is Matt Pouliot? The lead baseball guy for ... Rotoworld.

Honestly it could still happen. Bruce is a good baseball player, and a valuable fantasy player, but I do agree that he did fall a little short of his prospect status. Not his fault, just his expectations were a little off. I think people were expecting him to be the best player in the league, and he just ended up being a very good one

BxBOMBERs28, I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was referring to a reduction in whining due to mevins31 no longer owning Bruce.

ohhh gotcha.lol. I think Mevins will still be around. Nothing sweeter than visiting a comment thread when a player you traded is slumping.lol

He's my favorite player in baseball, and as a Reds fan believe me I don't want to see him struggling.

Give the Rotoworld forums a small break...For all the Bruce bashing you have done over the years no one will ever buy that statement...

I could prove it to you if I felt like it but I don't really care what you think... you who speaks for the Rotoworld forums.

Honestly, nothing you say will ever be taken seriously by myself or anyone else with a memory and a shred of common sense...

Ha. I have a lot more credibility than you that's for sure. Knock me all you want but I know this player and this game. Not going to let you start a bunch of stuff when I'm in here trying to talk baseball. Quit being that way you woman.

There's nothing about jay Bruce I could be asked that I haven't seen or couldn't answer. I've followed his career very, very close.

You have credibility??? Keep telling yourself that slick...Look, I'm not trying to get in a war of words here...I am just fed up with you and Jay Bruce...I don't think I am alone in that matter...

You have credibility??? Keep telling yourself that slick...Look, I'm not trying to get in a war of words here...I am just fed up with you and Jay Bruce...I don't think I am alone in that matter...

Put $300 on him to win the MVP today at 33/1 odds.... so obviously I do not hate Jay Bruce. Best bet on the board. Pays $10,000 if he pulls it off. Slick.

Put $300 on him to win the MVP today at 33/1 odds.... so obviously I do not hate Jay Bruce. Best bet on the board. Pays $10,000 if he pulls it off. Slick.

damn love that bet

better than 250 for fantasy team who can win only 1,200 or something around there

damn love that bet

better than 250 for fantasy team who can win only 1,200 or something around there

As I looked up and down the board, there was honestly not better value... when you see Harper and Freeman at 12 to 1, Puig at 14 to 1, Kemp at 16 to 1.... none of these guys have a better shot than Bruce, especially if Bruce hits behind Votto against righties all year long the numbers will be there. He's entering his age 27 season which has been kind to many players. One of these years he is going to stay hot from game one to 162.... and when he does it's going to be a wild party all summer long.

As I looked up and down the board, there was honestly not better value... when you see Harper and Freeman at 12 to 1, Puig at 14 to 1, Kemp at 16 to 1.... none of these guys have a better shot than Bruce, especially if Bruce hits behind Votto against righties all year long the numbers will be there. He's entering his age 27 season which has been kind to many players. One of these years he is going to stay hot from game one to 162.... and when he does it's going to be a wild party all summer long.

That's a great bet for the value. My personal pick for MVP is Hanley but that's still a really good bet.

I telling someone earlier today that Bruce hasn't had a "career" year yet. Most players, bad, great, and in between have at least one season where everything breaks right for them. It very well could be this season.

I knew I could get mevins to bite on those 33/1 odds from Pouliot's piece. I prefer the HanRam 25/1 odds, but I won't knock that bet.

from the player A player B thread

I thought this thread was going to be one of those

Player A hit .255 with 34 hrs, 84 runs, 101 rbi, 18 sb

Player B hit .262 with 30 hrs, 89 runs, 107 rbi, 9 sb

Player A has a Yahoo rank of 128, and an ESPN rank of 145

Player B has a Yahoo rank of 41, and an ESPN rank of 44

Player A is Alfonso Soriano

Player B is Jay Bruce

Player C is Mark Trumbo .234 35hrs, 84 runs, 100 rbi, 5 sb Yahoo 76, Espn 84

I knew I could get mevins to bite on those 33/1 odds from Pouliot's piece. I prefer the HanRam 25/1 odds, but I won't knock that bet.

Who is Pouliot

from the player A player B thread

I thought this thread was going to be one of those

Player A hit .255 with 34 hrs, 84 runs, 101 rbi, 18 sb

Player B hit .262 with 30 hrs, 89 runs, 107 rbi, 9 sb

Player A has a Yahoo rank of 128, and an ESPN rank of 145

Player B has a Yahoo rank of 41, and an ESPN rank of 44

Player A is Alfonso Soriano

Player B is Jay Bruce

Player C is Mark Trumbo .234 35hrs, 84 runs, 100 rbi, 5 sb Yahoo 76, Espn 84

I have player A ranked higher than that but he's 38.

And I own player C in a keeper league and I'd trade him plus a Jordan Zimmerman or Salazar for Bruce and his certainty and upside in a heartbeat.

Who is Pouliot

The head nbc/rotoworld fbb writer. Same guy who's top 30 rankings provided comedy relief on this forum about a month ago. I posted his article in the morning on this thread, and 12 hours later you bragged about the 33/1 bet you made that he had in his headline.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/smart-money-on-hanley-ramirez-jay-bruce-in-prop-bets/

That's cool...I hope you win that bet...Not being sarcastic either...

Monster home run #1 in the first inning today. Rocket seed to second.. Is this a Bruce hot streak beginning? If it is his owners are in for some fun and as a Reds fan I'll just enjoy the ride. Stay hot all year Brucey.

First time Bruce owner here. Any augurs out there who can divine when he will start exploding?

First time Bruce owner here. Any augurs out there who can divine when he will start exploding?

He only hit 1 HR last April, so just gotta stay patient with this dude.

May has always been his month his entire career he's been unreal in May. And real cold again in June.

Posted · Hidden by phizzics, April 14, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by phizzics, April 14, 2014 - No reason given

May has always been his month his entire career he's been unreal in May. And real cold again in June.