Sidearmer

Rotoworld Blurb Mistake/Argument Thread

Giants signed 1B Travis Ishikawa to a minor league contract.

Ishikawa, who was drafted by the Giants and spent his first 12 professional seasons there, elected free agency last week after being outrighted off the Pirates' 40-man roster. The 30-year-old will report to Triple-A Fresno but can opt out of the deal if he finds a major league opportunity elsewhere. Apr 25 - 12:07 PM

Small error, but he only spent 10 seasons there, from 2002 to 2011. When I read that I honestly thought it could have been something like 8 seasons so I searched it, but I didn't realize he was there as an 18 year old. Nevertheless, its another rotoworld blurb error.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but the blurbs have gone from good, to average, to are you drunk since Greg Rosenthal left RW.

• Like 2

Ishikawa, who was drafted by the Giants and spent his first 12 professional seasons there, elected free agency last week after being outrighted off the Pirates' 40-man roster. The 30-year-old will report to Triple-A Fresno but can opt out of the deal if he finds a major league opportunity elsewhere. Apr 25 - 12:07 PM

Small error, but he only spent 10 seasons there, from 2002 to 2011. When I read that I honestly thought it could have been something like 8 seasons so I searched it, but I didn't realize he was there as an 18 year old. Nevertheless, its another rotoworld blurb error.

I'm willing to give them a pass on this. Unless you read this thread or you were Travis's mom, you'd never know there was an error. It's not like he said John Rocker spent 10 seasons in the Negro Leagues

• Like 1

I'm willing to give them a pass on this. Unless you read this thread or you were Travis's mom, you'd never know there was an error. It's not like he said John Rocker spent 10 seasons in the Negro Leagues

John rocker should make the hall of fame

Batting ninth for the first time in 11 years, Carl Crawford went 0-for-4 against the Twins on Wednesday.

Crawford obviously won't hit ninth in non-DH games, but this still illustrates how far he's fallen in the Dodgers' eyes. The last time he hit ninth was on Sept. 20, 1993 as a 21-year-old in his first full major league season. Crawford will likely begin to lose playing time against righties until he gets turned around.

Doing that math, that means Crawford is 42 years old, no wonder he's struggling :lol:

Batting ninth for the first time in 11 years, Carl Crawford went 0-for-4 against the Twins on Wednesday.

Crawford obviously won't hit ninth in non-DH games, but this still illustrates how far he's fallen in the Dodgers' eyes. The last time he hit ninth was on Sept. 20, 1993 as a 21-year-old in his first full major league season. Crawford will likely begin to lose playing time against righties until he gets turned around.

Doing that math, that means Crawford is 42 years old, no wonder he's struggling :lol:

Just ten years off guys. That might be one of the worst ones I've seen this year. That's not a simple mistake or typo. That writer thinks Carl Crawford is over 40 years old.

Just ten years off guys. That might be one of the worst ones I've seen this year. That's not a simple mistake or typo. That writer thinks Carl Crawford is over 40 years old.

What makes this one particularly bad is that the writer clearly had to do some research to figure out when he last batted 9th. They felt all proud of themselves for taking the time to find that utterly useless.

Pirates right-handed pitching prospect Tyler Glasnow walked seven and allowed on hit (a triple) in two innings on Wednesday for High-A Bradenton.

Despite the poor command, he only allowed two base runners. Glasnow has the pitches and talent to be a front line pitcher, but he will have to significantly improve his command before he has a chance to pitch in the high minor leagues, let alone the major leagues. He now has one good start and one complete dud. If he improves his command he could be in line for quick promotions.

Walked 7 but only allowed 2 base runners

Melky Cabrera left Wednesday's game against the Royals with a bruised shin.

Cabrera was hit in the shin by a Yordano Ventura pitch during Wednesday's sixth inning, and he was immediately replaced by pinch runner Jonathan Diaz. X-rays came back negative for a fracture, so it's just a day-to-day injury. He's likely to get the day off in Thursday's series finale against the Royals.

Ace Ventura and Melky owners know it was Danny Duffy who threw that pitch.

• Like 2

Shin-Soo Choo started at DH and went 2-for-3 with an RBI, two walks and a steal against the Angels on Saturday.

Choo left Friday's game with left ankle soreness, but the Rangers said afterwards that he'd play today. He could return to left field on Sunday.

-_-

I'm done reading the blurbs for my players. I always check them (for injuries mainly) but this season has gotten so ridiculous it's no longer funny. Choo was clearly in left field, it's super-easy to check and I have no idea why they want to mislead people.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Monday that Brendan Ryan (back) will be activated from the disabled list on Tuesday.

Ryan has hit .320/.433/.320 during seven rehab games and is no longer bother by his back injury. With Derek Jeter struggling at the plate and in the field, Ryan should see a decent amount of playing time at shortstop.

Bwahahaa I'm sure Yankee fans will be paying $75 a ticket to see Brendan Ryan out there...

No chance in hell Girardi benches Jeter or even has the stones to drop him from the #2 spot in the lineup...good speculation guys.

the grammatical and factual mistakes in the blurbs are funny and unprofessional, but ultimately they're harmless enough. the blurbs I hate are the ones that contain non-insider insider information. take for example the following john axford blurb. who the heck informed this unnamed writer that the Indians "do know" that Cody Allen is the team's best reliever? Or that Axford's job is safe as long as he's "adequate"? And what does "adequate" even mean in this context?

The writer could've saved himself all the time he spent conducting his exhaustive Axford-usage research by writing one line: "The Indians would rather tank games than give their best reliever an opportunity to close."

Mon, May 5

John Axford took his third loss after giving up a solo homer in a scoreless game in the 10th inning Monday against the Twins.

Advice: Axford was pitching for the third straight day after also taking a blown save and a loss on Sunday. He was 9-for-10 in save chances with a 2.31 ERA as of two days ago, so he's not at an immediate risk of losing his job. The Indians do know that Cody Allen is their best reliever, but they'd just as soon leave Axford in the closer's role as long as he's adequate. Since Axford will need Tuesday off, perhaps Allen will get a save chance then.

(Rotoworld.com)

Common guys....can't even be bothered to read a boxscore? Morneau went 2-3 with a BB. That must have been one hell of a Pinch hit appearance.

Justin Morneau returned to action on Friday with a pinch-hit RBI double off Jonathan Broxton to tie the game in the ninth inning.

Unfortunately for he and the Rockies, the Reds would retake the lead and the game the following frame. Morneau was scratched from Thursday's lineup and sat out Friday with a stiff neck, but he's expected back in the lineup on Saturday.

• Like 1

The Mets might add pitching prospect Rafael Montero to their starting rotation next week.

Jenrry Mejica could be bumped to the bullpen, opening a rotation spot for the 23-year-old Montero, who has posted a 3.67 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 41/18 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings this season at Triple-A Las Vegas. Montero is worth stashing in deeper mixed fantasy leagues.

i mean if you can spell Jenrry correctly your like 90% of the way there

Edited by ldphifty
  • Like 4

"Montero, 23, has posted a 3.67 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 48/18 K/BB ratio in 41 2/3 innings this season with Triple-A Las Vegas while playing in the pitcher-friendly Pacific Coast League."

There is nothing pitching friendly about the Pacific Coast League. Which should say a lot about this guy who has managed to have some dominance there.

• Like 2

New Player Note Wed, May 14

Evan Gattis tagged a fourth inning RBI triple to deep center field off Ryan Vogelsong in Tuesday's 5-0 win.

Advice: He finished 1-for-3 with a walk. El Oso Blanco also homered on Monday. Is it too soon to hope he's broken out of the mini slump that mired his earlier May play? Gattis is outperforming his career numbers in all three slash categories so far, batting .259/.292/.528 with eight homers.

(Rotoworld.com)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what makes gattis' homerun on Monday even more impressive is that gattis didn't play on Monday.

New Player Note Wed, May 14

Evan Gattis tagged a fourth inning RBI triple to deep center field off Ryan Vogelsong in Tuesday's 5-0 win.

Advice: He finished 1-for-3 with a walk. El Oso Blanco also homered on Monday. Is it too soon to hope he's broken out of the mini slump that mired his earlier May play? Gattis is outperforming his career numbers in all three slash categories so far, batting .259/.292/.528 with eight homers.

(Rotoworld.com)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what makes gattis' homerun on Monday even more impressive is that gattis didn't play on Monday.

I also like how in this one they reference his career numbers like he is a veteran in the MLB, even though it's his second year...His career numbers are last year!

• Like 1

this is some fine writing

Twins activated outfielder Oswaldo Arcia from 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Rochester.

The Twins are overrated their current group if they think they don't need Arcia, who hit .308/.349/.487 in 12 games on his rehab assignment. One imagines he'll be up for good sign enough; Jason Kubel's OPS is down to .691, Chris Colabello's is at .702.

Edited by pagkerguy8
  • Like 1

Athletics acquired OF Kyle Blanks from the Padres for OF Jake Goebbert and a player to be named later.

Blanks finally gets a chance of scenery after posting a .712 OPS in parts of six seasons with the Padres. The 27-year-old first baseman and corner outfielder has a big body, enticing minor league power numbers, and was once rated a Top 50 prospect by Baseball America. The A's will hope some upside remains.

I guess Blanks didn't like the scenery in San Diego, I always thought that area was nice.

QUOTE: "Advice: Mesoraco hit a first inning, two-out, three-run home run to stake the reads to an early lead."

Nice to know MLB has joined in the nation's literacy campaign and is re-naming their teams after these educational activities.

• Like 1

I remember one time when Jake Peavy was on the Chicago White Sox he pitched a very good game against the Cleveland Indians. On the CBS fantasy baseball page they wrote a blurb that stated 'Peavy scalps the Indians...'. It was so unbelievably offensive yet funny.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/cbs-sports-jake-peavy-fantasy-scalps-tribe_n_1506531.html

Edited by Picard56

Jose Quintana allowed two runs over five innings, earning the win as the White Sox defeated the Astros on Friday.

Quintana allowed seven hits, walked two, and struck out five. The left-hander needed 102 pitches to get through five innings. Had he gone another inning, he would have picked up his fifth consecutive quality start, but alas. Quintana has a 3.67 ERA and a 1.28 ERA. He could lower both as he has a decent match-up against the Royals on the road in his next start.

He's so good he has two ERAs!

• Like 1

Nate Robertson - R - Tigers

Tigers released LHP David Robertson.

The 36-year-old had been pitching at Triple-A Toledo where he compiled a 3.43 ERA, 1.57 WHIP and 12/13 K/BB ratio over 21 innings of work. He'll look for another organization willing to take a chance on him, but it could be the end of the line for Robertson.

Nate Robertson? Does he go by Nate now?

Edited by mbrennan535

The 36-year-old had been pitching at Triple-A Toledo where he compiled a 3.43 ERA, 1.57 WHIP and 12/13 K/BB ratio over 21 innings of work. He'll look for another organization willing to take a chance on him, but it could be the end of the line for Robertson.

Funny thing is, it's the other way around. The database name was correct, it was the description that was wrong. So it's actually more like : "Does he go by David now?"

Funny thing is, it's the other way around. The database name was correct, it was the description that was wrong. So it's actually more like : "Does he go by David now?"

He goes by Nasty Nate now