Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Henderson Alvarez 2014 Outlook

ended the season with a no hitter ... but the k/9 was 5

and then in the venezuela winter league he had 6 ks in 23 innings. cmon hendy.

great stuff, so, again, wtf.

I see him developing into a great real life pitcher, will never be good for fantasy. He's very athletic, plays the field well, runs well, can hit well for a pitcher...

Pretty similar to a guy like Joe Kelly. Both throw heat but can't strike out anyone.

He only just made his spring debut, but it was a good one, three scoreless innings against a Cardinals split-squad.

He's dangerously low in Yahoo's pre-draft rankings. I believe he was 472nd when I last checked. I think he makes for a great late target, especially in deeper leagues.

Why is he not getting any hype whatsoever, due to his low K/9? He's only 23 years old, this will be his fourth season in the big leagues.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 11, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, March 11, 2014 - No reason given

I had Lohse in a NL-only Auction League at a good price. Throwing him back in the draft bc I'd prefer to have Alvarez at a cheaper price if I have to get stuck with a low K/9 Starting Pitcher.

So the K upside is concerning and in most leagues, which are 5x5, only 4 categories deal with starting pitchers, 1 of which he is a major liability, another which is wins has to be concerning because he is on a pretty lousy team, I would like him a lot more in a QS league are his ERA and WHIP potential enough to offset weak K's and probable weak wins? Most would take a pass.

I was looking at his second half splits from last year, he was really good aside from the K rate: 85 IP, 3.39 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, .219 BAA...only 47 Ks.

Anyone see room for improvement here? I read a quote from the manager about how he can throw 96 when he needs to, but he typically works in the low 90s and pitches to contact. He did strike out 12 in 14 spring training innings (small sample size alert).

I was looking at his second half splits from last year, he was really good aside from the K rate: 85 IP, 3.39 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, .219 BAA...only 47 Ks.

Anyone see room for improvement here? I read a quote from the manager about how he can throw 96 when he needs to, but he typically works in the low 90s and pitches to contact. He did strike out 12 in 14 spring training innings (small sample size alert).

His velocity is great, and he has hit 97 at times, but the value will be limited without the Ks and the Wins. He won't dominate ERA and could be average in that category. If you have deep benches or NL only league he might be worth a start at home, but I would be scared to start him against good opponents just because if he does get rocked he won't help you anywhere else.

Great night, any observations or thoughts on this guy moving forward?

coming off a CGSO. anything to see here? could he be that diamond in the rough that we are looking for?

2 starts next week: vs. Mets, then @SD

can't ask for 2 better matchups or locations. Had that CGSO of the Mariners, pretty good game against the Mets, and then a rougher outing against the Braves.

Curious to see people's thoughts on this guy, I haven't really thought about him till right now

I'm putting him out there tonight

Great start tonight. Wish i didnt have to drop him.

can't ask for 2 better matchups or locations. Had that CGSO of the Mariners, pretty good game against the Mets, and then a rougher outing against the Braves.

Curious to see people's thoughts on this guy, I haven't really thought about him till right now

damn, wish I had listened to my own advice...as I watch Homer and Archer struggle badly tonight...

Is he legit - what's his outlook ROTY?

I think hes probably more of a streamer in anything 12 team or less. His next start is definitely one i would scoop him up for.

I'm putting him out there tonight

Check!

Never try to turn a ho into a housewife

2 shutouts this year and his ERA is 2.62 on the year. Who you calling a ho?

Yeah but a lot of housewives turn into ho's.

damn, wish I had listened to my own advice...as I watch Homer and Archer struggle badly tonight...

couldnt of said this any better.....i shoulda.....I coulda.....I didnt......damnit!

Only 12% owned in Yahoo. I know he doesn't get many K's but he's been a rock solid pitcher for a while now. What are the knocks against him?

Only 12% owned in Yahoo. I know he doesn't get many K's but he's been a rock solid pitcher for a while now. What are the knocks against him?

That he doesn't get many K's.

He has a 2.6 K/BB rate and gives up a HR for every 9.6 fly balls but those numbers are skewed from is only bad game against Atlanta when he didn't have his stuff. I still like him though because he keeps the ball on the ground and plays in one of the best parks in the MLB. More than a streamer IMO. Even though he want give you Ks I think you need 1 innings eater on your staff to really dominate.