Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jedvii

The merits of CBS leagues (plus half off to start yours)

I've been using cbs for 12 years. It's like $130 a year for our league to be there. So it seems every year we talk about switching, but never do and here's why. though was wondering if other sites had these things.(promo code at end)

-owners don't mind forking over an extra $10 each to use the site.

-you can hear radio broadcasts of every game because of a partnership with mlb. you get the broadcast for each team, (sometimes even the spanish broadcast).

-very customizable stats to use for head to head.

-the league history has every single match up we've ever played with the league. It also keeps a minimal amount of records through the years.

-the commish can assign "trophies" as they see fit (like badges).

-if you sign up early, you get a league trophy every year, it's a bobble head so that's kind of cool.

-you can set multiple match ups per week.

-you can (if you want to go through the trouble) change the dates for each matchup essentially allowing you do have 5 day "weeks". we don't do this. And it's a pain to do it manually.

-you can assign keepers. though extra keeper rules will have to be done manually (we can only keep 3 of the 5 guys you kept last year).

-Every year they offer an early bird special so the cost is less if you are on the ball (about $30 off).

anything i'm missing? What do other sites offer that is better? worse?

and if you want to start your own league at cbs, you can get half off your league entry fee (which full price is about $180 i think). FULL DISCLOSER: I do get some cash out of the deal, but if you sign up you can shill your code maybe get your league paid for too.

http://cbssports.com/ref/49894850

looking forward to discussing sites further.

*other site are free.

*99% of us don't care to hear a radio broadcast. 99.9% of us don't care to hear it in Spanish

* Custom stats are nothing new for most sites

* League history is available on yahoo, not sure about others, but really why do I care if I beat Joe Blow in a match up 4 years ago

*Trophies?? What are we al 6-12 years old?? Who Cares

*Assigned keepers, welcome to the 21st century CBS

But most of all I find Nando, Al Mechior below average at best as far as the "Fantasy Experts" circle goes. And the Blurbs are usually a few hours behind other sites and not as informative.

Scott White does an excellent job though

So the question is why would anyone pay for a service when superior services are readily available for free.

But what makes other services better? Besides being free. All you did was trash cbs. Very subjectively too. What should compel me to switch?

you should stick with CBS, I just thought your points of why CBS was good were funny. Then the Full disclosure notice, I couldn't help myself but to respond. I don't really care where anyone plays, I am in a long standing CBS league for football and the platform is fine but I really don't understand why they still charge for the same thing the competition gives away.

Good luck to you this season

I don't understand it either. I'd switch to a free league in a heartbeat I'd I thought I wouldn't regret it later.

Good luck to you as well.

anyone else use spreadsheets with their fantasy baseball? cbs is pretty good with that. They have an export to spreadsheet option. Do any other sites have that? I'd be interested to know.

But what makes other services better? Besides being free. All you did was trash cbs. Very subjectively too. What should compel me to switch?

Actually the question is what makes CBS better? You are asking us to switch by offering most things that other sites just give away. Does CBS have a bigger player data base? Is it even easier to use? Problems with importing existing leagues? Why charge 180 dollars for a league? What does CBS offer that is unique to justify such an absurd amount (180)?

Seems like the only reason you are pumping them is to get part of the fee off. Not that they are better, just the money off.

Fantrax does almost all of those things(not sure if the multiple matchups in a week is a free feature or not). And I personally prefer the interface to CBS. Even if you do pay for a premium league on fantrax it's cheaper than CBS($80).

Yes, is like you to use cbs because I'd get paid. But ultimately, is like to use a site that offers EVERYTHING cbs does for free so I can stop paying for my fantasy baseball league. I haven't come across that yet.

I tried Yahoo. Cbs stat sorting is significantly better. With cbs you can create custom sorts by just about every baseball metric. K/9, gshr, obp, slg, you name it. It is one of the reasons I've been leary of other sites. Now Yahoo may have a good enough search for most users, but I feel cbs is best for digging deeper number junkies like myself.

The only way anyone can get a discount on cbs right now it's too use one of these codes, whether it is mine, our someone else's, somebody is getting paid. I'd you want to try out cbs, you don't have too use mine. Google it, there's hundreds out there.

Their customer service is also very good. I've never waited more than 24 hours on a response.

*I'd like to use a site that's offers everything cbs offers, but is free... sorry not too clear on that last post.