Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Zack Greinke 2014 Outlook

Career Era @COL 4.8

Career WHIP @COL 1.81

Considering that he has been off target in the last start , this is kind of a sit situation, though it is said to never bench your studs

On my bench. Makes no sense to start ANYONE at Colorado. Sure they might pitch good, but hardly ever great. Best case scenario is usually around 4.00 ERA with a WHIP north of 1.50.

Greinke will be locked into my lineup for the Colorado start. Sure, he may get hit hard, but he's been a beast this year that I can't bench him.

Yeah I'm starting - He's just as capable of a 7-8-inning gem as getting destroyed. If he pitches like he did Sunday he'll get destroyed for sure, but there's no reason in particular to think that will happen other than a small sample size. I'm always rolling my aces - they're aces for a reason.

Yeah I'm starting - He's just as capable of a 7-8-inning gem as getting destroyed. If he pitches like he did Sunday he'll get destroyed for sure, but there's no reason in particular to think that will happen other than a small sample size. I'm always rolling my aces - they're aces for a reason.

They may be aces, but not in Colorado.

The pain of missing out on a gem far outweighs a blowup to me. For this start I'm hoping for 6 IP 4 ER 6 K's. That would be a productive outing. I don't think he's going to give up 8 runs or some other worst-case scenario. Best case he goes 8 and only gives up 2 with 10Ks - he can actually do that.

I love Greinke, but here is his line from 2 stars last year at Coors: 10.1 IP, 15 hits allowed, 9 ER, 10 BB, 2 HR. I'm scared this year's Rockies won't be any kinder.

Always start your studs is a saying used to rationalize making the wrong decision.

The pain of missing out on a gem far outweighs a blowup to me. For this start I'm hoping for 6 IP 4 ER 6 K's. That would be a productive outing. I don't think he's going to give up 8 runs or some other worst-case scenario. Best case he goes 8 and only gives up 2 with 10Ks - he can actually do that.

I would much rather miss a gem than get a blowup.

I would much rather miss a gem than get a blowup.

In h2h I feel he is a bench unless your or your opponent's ratios have already been torched beyond repair.

Greinke is on my bench this week only because I have a weekly start limit and have enough starts to bench him. Don't want to bench him but he is a risky start.

Ugh. He was at only 72 pitches through 6 innings but in the top of the 7th, down 2-1 with runners on the corners and 2 outs, he was removed for a pinch hitter. Was easily looking at 8+ innings otherwise.

What a waste. Pinch hitter was Scott Van Slyke. What a joke. Greinke was lights out after the 1st inning

Ugh. He was at only 72 pitches through 6 innings but in the top of the 7th, down 2-1 with runners on the corners and 2 outs, he was removed for a pinch hitter. Was easily looking at 8+ innings otherwise.

And Van Slyke can't even get a hit. Greinke was dealing after a rough 1st. Would have gone 8, and if they scored he could have gone 9. At least he got the QS I guess.

WTH, Donnie Baseball?? Greinke isn't exactly a horrible hitter. He was at 72 pitches 4chrissakes!

Sometimes the manager may see or notice the pitcher pressing. They take them out because it's a marathon not a sprint. Be thankful for that.

I'm glad he's ok. I saw he was pulled at 72 pitches and I thought "oh crap". Glad it's just lousy managing and not an injury. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the manager may see or notice the pitcher pressing. They take them out because it's a marathon not a sprint. Be thankful for that.

I don't think Donnie Baseball has that sort of insight, or is as in-tune with The Force as you are, Jedi Master. Dude was absolutely cruising after Frazier's 1st inning bomb -- quickly and efficiently.

No, the only reason he pulled him was because he thought Van Slyke would drive in a run or two and with how few and far between baserunners were for the Dodgers today he thought it was only chance. Dumb. And now they are losing by more because Brandon League licks yak booty.

I realize this comment should appear in Gameday, but it's worth debating whether or not Mattingly is going to start the Jim Tracy treatment.

I am not one to defend managers but in the 7th inning you kind of have to take your shot there with Chapman looming in the 9th. They don't score there they have one more inning before the guy throwing 103 comes in.

Greinke has also given up about 70% of his homers this year in the 7th inning on. There have been 3 times I think where he goes out to face one RH hitter in the 7th or 8th inning before they planned on going to a lefty reliver where he gave up a solo homer to that one guy, and it made me want to strangle Don.

I am not one to defend managers but in the 7th inning you kind of have to take your shot there with Chapman looming in the 9th. They don't score there they have one more inning before the guy throwing 103 comes in.

Greinke has also given up about 70% of his homers this year in the 7th inning on. There have been 3 times I think where he goes out to face one RH hitter in the 7th or 8th inning before they planned on going to a lefty reliver where he gave up a solo homer to that one guy, and it made me want to strangle Don.

A lot of that has to do with pitch count though. He was only 72 through 6. He hasn't been nearly that economical for the most part. Normally he's at 90+ pitches when those homers are flying out.

Pinch hitter in the bottom of six. What was his pitch count at? This guy just can't go deep into games.

Pinch hitter in the bottom of six. What was his pitch count at? This guy just can't go deep into games.

He has thrown 117 pitches tonight.

Solid outing against a tough offense. Let's hope he gets back on the rails he was riding early in the season..