Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Zack Greinke 2014 Outlook

Let's get this thread back on track.

IMO he's simply having a bad month. He's been a little too hittable for my liking most of the year, but he's also generated a ton of swing and misses and strikeouts. After a home game to the Cards he's at Colorado and at Detroit, so his borderline ace status will be tested. I like his chances of being a top 15 (and probably more) pitcher in the 2nd half. Just a rough patch.

Let's get this thread back on track.

IMO he's simply having a bad month. He's been a little too hittable for my liking most of the year, but he's also generated a ton of swing and misses and strikeouts. After a home game to the Cards he's at Colorado and at Detroit, so his borderline ace status will be tested. I like his chances of being a top 15 (and probably more) pitcher in the 2nd half. Just a rough patch.

Agreed

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, June 29, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, June 29, 2014 - No Reason

This dude is really starting to piss me off

Yeah he's having an awful season.

Sometimes ya gotta know when to sell high...

Wish I sold high on Greinke :(

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, June 29, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, June 29, 2014 - No Reason

Wish I sold high :(.

Posted · Hidden by phizzics, June 30, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by phizzics, June 30, 2014 - No reason given

Wish I sold high :(.

You post this after he goes 7 IP, 1 ER, 10 K vs Cards? He had his bad streak of 4 starts, he looked like the greinke from his first 12 starts again tonight.

You post this after he goes 7 IP, 1 ER, 10 K vs Cards? He had his bad streak of 4 starts, he looked like the greinke from his first 12 starts again tonight.

tumblr_n3rcaecl371rwgdwdo1_500.jpg

Just gotta throw him out there tonight, right? The 10.5 O/U is quite high but much of that can be contributed to Franklin Morales being the opposing pitcher. Starting anyone in Coors makes me nervous but I feel like he's among the small group of guys that you still need to start there.

Just gotta throw him out there tonight, right? The 10.5 O/U is quite high but much of that can be contributed to Franklin Morales being the opposing pitcher. Starting anyone in Coors makes me nervous but I feel like he's among the small group of guys that you still need to start there.

I didn't start him last time in Coors and will not start him tonight. I never start anyone in Coors. I think it's silly to start anyone there.

I am talking about a Roto standard 5x5 league.

I'm strongly leaning towards keeping him on the bench. For me, in a 5x5 it seems there is more to be lost here than gained. :ph34r:

He's the #12 pitcher in my points league and the #12 SP on ESPN's player rater. He should be started everywhere against anyone every time. Anything else is micro-managing and just as likely (if not more likely) to backfire as pay out.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, July 3, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, July 3, 2014 - No Reason

Sausage

He's the #12 pitcher in my points league and the #12 SP on ESPN's player rater. He should be started everywhere against anyone every time. Anything else is micro-managing and just as likely (if not more likely) to backfire as pay out.

Wrong. This is not micro-managing. It's all about Coors and Coors only..It's called smart managing.

ERA just under 5 in three starts at Coors the last three years with 1 win. It's a borderline play, even for a pitcher like Greinke. But then again, I'm starting Kershaw tomorrow who has a similar ERA at Coors the last three years with 2 wins in 6 starts.

I assume you have yet to see the career splits grienke has @COL. 4.38 ERA 1.78WHIP in 5 starts with just 1 win.

I don't think I will risk it :)

ERA just under 5 in three starts at Coors the last three years with 1 win. It's a borderline play, even for a pitcher like Greinke. But then again, I'm starting Kershaw tomorrow who has a similar ERA at Coors the last three years with 2 wins in 6 starts.

Grienke is not Kershaw.

Grienke is not Kershaw.

Don't disagree, however, based on their Coors' stats they are nearly the same there.

Grienke is not Kershaw.

Don't disagree, however, based on their Coors' stats they are nearly the same there.

I have never owned Kershaw, but wouldn't start him at Coors either.

Now that's micro-managing. You must either play in a very shallow league or have an unfairly-stacked rotation to look at your options and conclude that your SP5 or SP6 starting anywhere is a better option than the best pitcher in baseball (or Greinke for that matter) toeing the rubber.

And I don't put too much stock in historical stats. The team your guy pitched against four years ago is likely very different from the team he faces today, your guy has likely evolved (or devolved) as well, and in most cases the sample size is small.

Good thing you don't. That'd be a waste.

One side of this argument will eat a lot of crow

8adTE.gif

But in all seriousness... it depends. Daily rosters and a roto format where you're barely leading in ratios? That's more defensible. Weekly roster lock and/or points league? We'd have to know which SP5-7 scrub (Morton? Hutchinson? Eovaldi?) was started over a top-10 arm.

Nervous, but I'm rolling with him.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, July 4, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, July 4, 2014 - No Reason

Despite what I said this morning, I might bench him anyway. I'm in a 10-teamer with a 200 start limit on the season though, so there's really no need to risk it. I just hate benching studs. It'll be a last minute decision.