Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Palmetto08

Alexander Guerrero - 2B LAD

I really don't like how it is now advantageous financially to play in MLB if you're from Cuba or Japan rather than the States. It's actually an inadvertent form of discrimination, if you think about it. Granted, some of these kids from Cuba come from extreme poverty. But it's not fair to players born in America. These guys are like this era's bonus babies. I know for a fact there is some resentment about the inequity from American ballplayers. I'd be pissed, too, if I played professionally.

This is an interesting issue. Can you imagine how much a guy like Harper would have gotten if he had been a free agent instead of subject to the draft?

I really don't like how it is now advantageous financially to play in MLB if you're from Cuba or Japan rather than the States. It's actually an inadvertent form of discrimination, if you think about it. Granted, some of these kids from Cuba come from extreme poverty. But it's not fair to players born in America. These guys are like this era's bonus babies. I know for a fact there is some resentment about the inequity from American ballplayers. I'd be pissed, too, if I played professionally.

This is an interesting issue. Can you imagine how much a guy like Harper would have gotten if he had been a free agent instead of subject to the draft?

Have you seen the recent quotes from Smyly on this?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/23/drew-smyly-criticizes-the-yoan-moncada-deal/

"“It’s not right that a Cuban 19yr old gets paid 30m and the best 19yr old in the entire USA gets prob 1/6th of that. Everyone should have to go through same process”"

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/23/drew-smyly-criticizes-the-yoan-moncada-deal/

"“It’s not right that a Cuban 19yr old gets paid 30m and the best 19yr old in the entire USA gets prob 1/6th of that. Everyone should have to go through same process”"

This is something that's going to have to be nailed out in the next CBA and I think the MLB is already saying it needs to be addressed. Maybe some sort of international draft, I don't know.

This is something that's going to have to be nailed out in the next CBA and I think the MLB is already saying it needs to be addressed. Maybe some sort of international draft, I don't know.

Of course it's going to be addressed. The teams dont really want to pay that much for the Cubans, but have to because of lack of rules.

Only spring training but regardless of how meaningless ST stats are, I think everyone would agree that it's better to be hitting like Guerrero has in his situation than putting up a 3 for 23 or something. Over 25 ABs, he's hitting .400 with 2 HRs, 6 RBI and a SB. Hit his 2nd HR yesterday/last night.

Is he still playing 3B for most of the spring or have they been moving him around a bit?

Most nuggets sound positive thus far but he's blocked at his former position of SS and LA signed Howie K for 2B...OF is crowded and no DH in NL. What's the general feeling as to whether he'll get any meaningful PT assuming he gets on the roster out of spring?

I would think he's a better option at 3B than an aging and declining Uribe....and they're paying Guerrero a ton of money, you'd think they'd want to see what kind of return they have on that investment sooner rather than later, no?

Uribe is 3 for 23 with 3 singles thus far, probably on purpose just to get people to talk....and me to hope I have a sleeper 3B already on my squad.

Dodgers aren't benching Uribe for Guerrero based on 2 weeks of meaningless stats. Uribe has been great defensively and solid on offense the past 2 years so he has a good leash on the 3B job. Guerrero literally has no where to play barring injury or trade. They are already stacked in the outfield and have Justin Turner as their utility infielder who did awesome in that same role last year.

All I'm saying is he's making $28 million, and he hasn't earned it... and he's making demands like the Dodgers have mistreated him. It doesn't endear to him to people who bust their hump everyday just to get by.

This is one of the craziest posts I have ever seen here. Guy is almost 30 years old wants to play in the MLB because he is MLB ready and per his contract can refuse minors. The guy refuses minors and you wish him injury, and keep saying he is getting paid......maybe he wants to play in the MLB. You have no idea what he was promised when he signed his contract.

And all that is absurdly crazy without your reverse discrimination opinion (I wouldn't share that)

Still shake my head everytime I read that post. Hoping for a career ending injury because a grown man exercised a clause in his contract.

Alex Guerrero indicated in an interview with Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com that he has no intention of returning the minor leagues.

The 28-year-old stated, "I don't want to go down. I'm not going down. I feel like I can get better here at this level and play every day." Guerrero signed a four-year, $28 million deal with the Dodgers before the 2014 season that included a clause that he can't be optioned to the minor leagues without his permission after his first season. That means the Dodgers will be forced to keep him on the roster in a reserve role, trade him elsewhere or release him

He didn't even demand playing time or anything he merely stated he believes he can play in the Major Leagues on an everyday level. On the Dodgers he can't but who's to say he isn't a starting caliber player for some other team?

And all of a sudden it's a great privilege to grow up in a country of extreme poverty for the 0.5% chance you have enough talent to land a guaranteed major league contract. As if Abreu, Puig and Chapman are untalented leaches or something. Also there's no way on Earth Ichiro and Tanaka would've left Japan for rookie scale MLB contracts.

Rollins, kendrick, uribe, turner, seager, hernandez, sweeney, etc

Too many players blocking him from full time AB's. A trade would be best case scenario. Sweeney and seager are mlb ready in my opinion and hernandez/turner are solid multi position bench players who are still young.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 20, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, March 20, 2015 - No reason given

All I'm saying is he's making $28 million, and he hasn't earned it... and he's making demands like the Dodgers have mistreated him. It doesn't endear to him to people who bust their hump everyday just to get by.

This is one of the craziest posts I have ever seen here. Guy is almost 30 years old wants to play in the MLB because he is MLB ready and per his contract can refuse minors. The guy refuses minors and you wish him injury, and keep saying he is getting paid......maybe he wants to play in the MLB. You have no idea what he was promised when he signed his contract.

And all that is absurdly crazy without your reverse discrimination opinion (I wouldn't share that)

Reverse discrimination, huh? Not so much. What I said wasn't politically correct, but it was hardly racist. American players ARE being discriminated against financially. That is a fact. It may not be intentional, but it's the way the system is now. International players are getting paid gobs of money before they've even set foot on a pro baseball field. That is also a fact.

And because I take exception with that inequity... I'm suddenly a racist? No, I'm sorry. That's BS. It's not a level playing field, and I pointed it out. Take your ignorant accusation, and you know where you can shove it.

And just because you grow up in extreme poverty doesn't mean you're entitled to more than the next guy who also works hit butt off and has as much talent as you.

Whoops, I misread. Yeah, it is reverse discrimination. I don't see how it's even debatable.

Also, I didn't wish a career-ending injury on him. Just said I wouldn't care if he had one. There is a difference. And I'd venture to say most of you wouldn't care, either. I'm just more honest about it.

Let's steer away from all sociopolitical angles. If you want to discuss the challenges posed by the current CBA/MLBPA paradigm in relation to Guerrero/international free agents and domestic prospects, that's fine, but keep it strictly confined to that scope.

Of course it's going to be addressed. The teams dont really want to pay that much for the Cubans, but have to because of lack of rules.

If you take the massive guaranteed money out of it, then are Japanese teams going to post players? Is the shady business of getting Cubans here going to happen? Agree there should be something done from an equity standpoint but just curious what that does to the availability of those players.

Whoops, I misread. Yeah, it is reverse discrimination. I don't see how it's even debatable.

Also, I didn't wish a career-ending injury on him. Just said I wouldn't care if he had one. There is a difference. And I'd venture to say most of you wouldn't care, either. I'm just more honest about it.

So what's your issue with a 28 year old MLB ready player exercising a contractual right to refuse assignment to the minors?

Is your only reasoning that he is getting paid so he should just stay in the minors and be happy? You can't see his side?

And your (^^^^^^) point was...? (directed at the massive quoted post with no original comment in it)

All of this excess really makes me wonder why the Dodgers A) Signed Guerrero in the first place and B) Why they filled so many positions in the offseason when they have a high upside Cuban defector that they gave a lot of money too and appears ready.

Such a bizarre story. Sad thing is, had Olivo not bitten his ear, he would have gotten the call last year and solidified himself a spot on the team. Instead, this...

So what's your issue with a 28 year old MLB ready player exercising a contractual right to refuse assignment to the minors?

Is your only reasoning that he is getting paid so he should just stay in the minors and be happy? You can't see his side?

Every player wants to be in MLB, and you don't know if he's MLB-ready. From what I've read, his defense is subpar at every position. I don't approve of the way he's handled it. It may a contractual right. That doesn't mean I think it's a classy move.

You've been toiling away at a company for five years, and you still haven't got a promotion. Your company hires someone new and pays him handsomely. Like 20 times what you make. Then the company tells this person that he has to pay his dues and prove himself before he can do what he was hired to to, but he's still getting paid. He has a tantrum and says, "I'm not showing up to work anymore." How do you feel about your co-worker?

I think Guerrero gets 450+ ABs this season and hits .290 with 18-20 HRs. He's talented and only has to beat out Juan Uribe. Give me a break.

I bet his stock takes off from this point forward!

Every player wants to be in MLB, and you don't know if he's MLB-ready. From what I've read, his defense is subpar at every position. I don't approve of the way he's handled it. It may a contractual right. That doesn't mean I think it's a classy move.

You've been toiling away at a company for five years, and you still haven't got a promotion. Your company hires someone new and pays him handsomely. Like 20 times what you make. Then the company tells this person that he has to pay his dues and prove himself before he can do what he was hired to to, but he's still getting paid. He has a tantrum and says, "I'm not showing up to work anymore." How do you feel about your co-worker?

I have zero problem with his demands if the Dodgers gave him the contractual right. I really dont. If it's a problem. Then they shouldn't have given him that right in the first place. That is on the Dodgers.

The Dodgers did make that decision when they signed him to that contract. Did they just watch his offense tape and not watch him defensively? From what I have seen, I think he can hit in the major league level right now. The big thing that made me realize he will probably never start for the Dodges barring an injury is the trade for Kendrick. The team seems to really like Uribe too, so he will never start over him.

It was a questionable move by the Dodgers here. I still can't really blame Guerrero for wanting to play in the majors. Curious to see what the MLBPA take is on this as well. I'm assuming they will side with the player and hope he stays in the majors.

I really doubt Guerrero would have taken the Dodger's offer if he knew he'd be rotting in the minors year after year. Best thing for all sides would be for LAD to eat a bit of money on the contract then try to deal him away.

I really doubt Guerrero would have taken the Dodger's offer if he knew he'd be rotting in the minors year after year. Best thing for all sides would be for LAD to eat a bit of money on the contract then try to deal him away.

That is the thing. I think he feel is getting screwed over by the new regime.. He is sorta right too. Friemen is big on defense. That seems to be one of his focuses and Guerrero is really not "his guy"

Friemen was brought in part to clean up the mess ned colletti created. Guerrero is probably one of those messes...

Phillies should be taking a chance on this guy IMO. They got nothing to lose and they devoid of talent. This is exactly a chance a re-build team should take here.

So the Dodgers signed Cuban IF Hector Olivera...Looking worse and worse for Guerrero, lol. LA is stock-piling...

Maybe not. He could get traded and go to a team that would give him 500 at bats. In LA, at best, he would be a platoon player.

It was definitely a stupid provision on the Dodgers part.

I'd say Boras just made The Dodgers their *****.

Alex Guerrero's bat looks MLB ready to me. Defensively I'm sure it'll be a work in progress. But he should be a far better hitter than Uribe that his bat will out weigh his sub par defense.