Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Palmetto08

Alexander Guerrero - 2B LAD

Source of the 5 weeks quote: http://espn.go.com/l...te-miguel-olivo

Five weeks???? Maybe 5 days...I had my ear partially torn off when I was a kid & needed 20something stitches to reattach it and I was playing little league that same week, albeit with a big patch of gauze and medical tape on the side of my head. Getting the helmet on and off wasn't fun but wasn't like it was anything that made it impossible to play. Unless the damage done was worse than what Tyson did to Holyfield...? Anyone have any details on exactly how bad the bite was? Did he rip the whole thing off or what??? Did the rest of the team just watch while he put salt & pepper on it?

All this because Olivia still sucks at throwing out guys at 2nd....Uribe getting hurt & possibly opening a door of opportunity is just salt in the wound. No wonder he's worn out his welcome for 10 major league teams.

Details & pics, courtesy of Salt Lake City minor league team blog:

http://blog.stingembees.com/?p=1963

Thanks for sharing this. Its great that all of this went down when it was Kids day at the ballpark. Nothing says anti bullying like an older player attacking a younger player and biting him in the ear!

Is Miguel Olivo mad that he sucks? Why would you ever bite a part of a person's body to cap off practically an assault?

It's one thing to get angry. It's another thing to verbally express your anger. Then, it's another thing to start fighting someone.

But biting off part of someone's ear? Does he have himself convinced he's a rabid dog? Who on planet Earth not named Mike Tyson would ever think "This is the best way to express my anger"?

I'm sure bath salts played a role in this.

So, any updates? Just want to make sure it's really going to be a month-plus before I drop this guy in a redraft.

They were saying on the post-game show last night that the ear is such a delicate part of the body and that there really isn't much blood flow around the ear that the healing process will be extremely slow. And there can be many complications that can come about after plastic surgery such as infection and possibly even rejection of the reattached piece of the ear. You also have to remember that he won’t be able to wear a batting helmet until the ear is fully healed to prevent infections, etc., and the list goes on. Some are even saying he could miss more than 5 weeks. Just a terrible situation…

Miguel Olivo is officially off my Christmas card list. Also the Dogers' minor league team.

Hope Guerrero received rabies shots as part of his treatment.

I say he sits for about two weeks. After that he starts practicing (batting practice, taking ground balls). Then returns to play approximately June 10th. A custom batting helmet might be necessary, but I am sure somebody can pony up a few bucks for that.

Damn, it was the whole top of the ear. Seriously WTF Olivo.

Source of the 5 weeks quote: http://espn.go.com/l...te-miguel-olivo

Five weeks???? Maybe 5 days...I had my ear partially torn off when I was a kid & needed 20something stitches to reattach it and I was playing little league that same week, albeit with a big patch of gauze and medical tape on the side of my head. Getting the helmet on and off wasn't fun but wasn't like it was anything that made it impossible to play. Unless the damage done was worse than what Tyson did to Holyfield...? Anyone have any details on exactly how bad the bite was? Did he rip the whole thing off or what??? Did the rest of the team just watch while he put salt & pepper on it?

All this because Olivia still sucks at throwing out guys at 2nd....Uribe getting hurt & possibly opening a door of opportunity is just salt in the wound. No wonder he's worn out his welcome for 10 major league teams.

Sad that a little leaguer was back on the field quicker than professionals now.

Then- Stitches

Now- Plastic surgery

Then- Playing the same week

Now- Out indefinitely

Ahhh, the miracles of modern medicine.

Per ESPN:

"Guerrero (ear) is beginning to experience circulation and growth in the surgically-repaired part of his ear and it looks as though the procedure will be a success, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Spin:There is still no set timetable for Guerrero's return to game action, but he may not be far away from contributing at the big league level once he's able to return to the field and get his timing back in the coming weeks."

Per ESPN:

"Guerrero (ear) is beginning to experience circulation and growth in the surgically-repaired part of his ear and it looks as though the procedure will be a success, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Spin:There is still no set timetable for Guerrero's return to game action, but he may not be far away from contributing at the big league level once he's able to return to the field and get his timing back in the coming weeks."

Might be time to stash this guy. He's likely going to be called up right after if not right before the All Star break. He's got a lot of pop and won't kill your average. Im pretty high on this kid and I had him stashed until Olivo's dumb a** bit his ear off

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, June 21, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, June 21, 2014 - No reason given

Im starting Mercer at 2b right now so Im hoping I can have this kid for the second half. Huge upgrade.

Where would he play in that infield?

Good question. He's pretty much only played 2B in the minors, which is occupied by Gordon. If he could play SS, they could move Hanley to 3B. If he could play 3B, he'd be a lock there with Uribe hurt.

I don't see him supplanting Gordon anytime soon at 2B. At best, you'd be looking at a platoon situation there. All depends on his defensive versatility, which by all reports is very limited. Probably won't see much playing time if he gets called up.

Could Gordon go to 3b or SS ( if Hanley gets hurt - which sometimes seems inevitable) thus clearing some room for Alex?

If not, maybe he is a trade piece at the deadline - LAD did give him a huge contract to currently be playing in the minors ( when he isn't getting his ear bitten off)

When Uribe comes back, he'll be back at 3B. He’s too solid defensively and Mattingly loves defense. I think the only way for Guerrero to have consistent playing time is if Dee Gordon reverts back to the old Dee Gordon but I don’t really see that happening. And don’t count on Hanley getting injured. He’s playing for a fat contract and he’s gonna do everything he can to stay in the lineup to prove to the Dodgers he can stay healthy. When he got HBP on the hand in SF, he only missed what, one game? If it was any other year, he would’ve milked it for weeks.

I’d love to see Hanley move over to 3B, have Dee stay at 2B, and have Guerrero play SS for maximum offensive output but I just don’t see that happening.

So what do they do ? Surely his 28 million dollar contract won't be for minor league ball, right?

So what do they do ? Surely his 28 million dollar contract won't be for minor league ball, right?

Clearly, they weren't counting on Gordon emerging like he has this year. My guess is they'll try Guerrero out at 3B or SS and see if he's passable at one of those positions. Otherwise, they will have yet another player who will be hard to trade.

Gordon is cooling down, coming off a .620OPS month of May, As the season OPS continues to fall from .728 to the upper .600s I wouldn't be surprised at all if Guerrero gets the call.