Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Victory is Mine! 2014 Celebration Thread

Never ever give up or count yourself out. In one money league, I found myself 32.5 points out in 10th place on May 31. By 8/22, I had spent a day in 1st and a day tied for first, but quickly fell back somewhat. As late as 9/16, I was 11 points out, and out of the money spots in 4th. I slowly inched closer as the days dwindled, loaded up on SP for yesterday, and picked up 5 points to win the league by 2 points, jumping from 3rd to 1st. So I spent a total of 3 days with a share of 1st in the entire season, but one of those days is the only one that counts.

Traded Beltran to get Hamels early in the season, and that worked out great. Harvested J. Weaver off of waivers early, and those two combined with Felix and Fister to give me a nice core of pitching.

I didn't have an especially great offense, even dropping Frazier and Yelich early, while drafting Andrus, Bruce, Hosmer, Choo, and Cano. Off the wire I scored D. Santana, Cuddyer for the end of season run, Calhoun and JD Martinez (who I ended up dropping both eventually even though I should have continued to hold). Added a dropped A. Rizzo for the stretch run, and he contributed some excellent stats to help out, as I finished 1 point higher than the next team in both HR and SB, and Rizzo contributed 2 HR and 1 SB, with 2 pts my eventual margin of victory.

So...you don't need to dominate a league, and many gaps can be closed with persistence. Felt real good to check the standings this morning in bed on the iPad. When I jumped up to fist pump, my wife joined in and that was nice of her. Pretty good feeling.

Won two other leagues as well, including another money league. Finished 2nd in another. Got smoked in my biggest money league though, finishing 8th/14. Just couldn't handle the injury/bust wave that hit me in that league this year. But another successful FBB season in the books. Out to dinner tonight to celebrate.

Cheers all. Is it March yet?

Weaver on waivers? Really? Why don't I ever get invited to those leagues :)

Never ever give up or count yourself out. In one money league, I found myself 32.5 points out in 10th place on May 31. By 8/22, I had spent a day in 1st and a day tied for first, but quickly fell back somewhat. As late as 9/16, I was 11 points out, and out of the money spots in 4th. I slowly inched closer as the days dwindled, loaded up on SP for yesterday, and picked up 5 points to win the league by 2 points, jumping from 3rd to 1st. So I spent a total of 3 days with a share of 1st in the entire season, but one of those days is the only one that counts.

Traded Beltran to get Hamels early in the season, and that worked out great. Harvested J. Weaver off of waivers early, and those two combined with Felix and Fister to give me a nice core of pitching.

I didn't have an especially great offense, even dropping Frazier and Yelich early, while drafting Andrus, Bruce, Hosmer, Choo, and Cano. Off the wire I scored D. Santana, Cuddyer for the end of season run, Calhoun and JD Martinez (who I ended up dropping both eventually even though I should have continued to hold). Added a dropped A. Rizzo for the stretch run, and he contributed some excellent stats to help out, as I finished 1 point higher than the next team in both HR and SB, and Rizzo contributed 2 HR and 1 SB, with 2 pts my eventual margin of victory.

So...you don't need to dominate a league, and many gaps can be closed with persistence. Felt real good to check the standings this morning in bed on the iPad. When I jumped up to fist pump, my wife joined in and that was nice of her. Pretty good feeling.

Won two other leagues as well, including another money league. Finished 2nd in another. Got smoked in my biggest money league though, finishing 8th/14. Just couldn't handle the injury/bust wave that hit me in that league this year. But another successful FBB season in the books. Out to dinner tonight to celebrate.

Cheers all. Is it March yet?

Weaver on waivers? Really? Why don't I ever get invited to those leagues :)

Yeah I was pretty surprised he got dropped after his first 2 starts (even though his ERA sat at 6.00 at that point) after he was drafted with the 1st pick in the 14th round. I was perfectly happy to grab him at that point. It's not like he had a spectacular season, though. He put up a 3.65 ERA and 1.23 WHIP with 105 Ks in 138 innings for me, which aren't great numbers. The 11 wins he contributed surely helped, though. I used him pretty conservatively since I was over on innings for most of the year, and eventually dropped him because of a dip in form and an excess of total innings for my team on Aug 21. If I had taken him in the 14th round and gotten those numbers, it wouldn't have been great. But off of waivers? Yes, please.

But anyway, I don't think it's super surprising he ended up on waivers. Apart from the wins, he really didn't have a great season, and for a few months there he was pretty bad (April, June and July).

7 money leagues. 6 title matches. 3 titles. 2 grrrrr. Gotta love the Faux Show.

And thanks to all the posters here. Love reading what you all have to say. Definitely would like to buy some of u a drink or three.

Guys what a year, played in one league. same 12 managers since we were freshman in High School. 10 years later our league is second to none. man it feels good. Now what to do all offseason?? guess alot of reading, lol thanks guys have a great offseason.

Finished in the money in 3 out of 4 leagues, winning one of them (in spite of losing Tanaka and Wacha and inheriting Carlos Gonzalez and Bruce as keepers).

Third place in the other two leagues, which really isn't bad when you consider I wasted my first two picks in each league on Davis and Kipnis, and Fernandez was my third pick in one of them.

Won my league despite drafting Kipnis and Bruce in the 2nd and 3rd round, dropping Kluber and Gardner early out of impatience and losing Goldy to injury after a trade. Waiver wire pickups were key.

Played in 5 leagues this year (the most I've ever played in).

A.L. Dynasty (H2H) -- won the championship after having to rebuild my bullpen after starting the year with Jim Johnson and Grant Balfour as my top 2 closers. Thanks to Wade Davis for the great ratios and vulture Wins

16 team roto redraft -- finished 2nd after struggling the first 2 months due to a slew of key injuries (was in 13th place at the end of May). With 30 man rosters (480 players drafted) the waiver wire is a wasteland but was fortunate to pluck a gem in Cory Dickerson. Was also able to pick up Kenny Vargas, Jorge Soler and Mike Fiersm who all contributed down the stretch. The Wins cat really put the screws to me in this league as I finished 2nd in ERA, 3rd in Ks (just 1 K away from a 3 way tie for 1st), 5th in WHIP but somehow I finished 14th in Wins

12 team roto redraft -- another team that struggled for the first couple of months. Slowly inched my way up and was in 6th at the start of September. Team finished strong and was able to fiinish 2nd. Had a slim shot at 1st going into the last weekend but wasn't meant to be.

14 team roto keeper -- Starting pitching just killed me from the get go. Had Danny Salazar, Shelby Miller, Fransico Liriano and Jake Peavy as 4 of my 6 original SPs and was 13th in ERA and 14th in WHIP heading into June and it looked like a lost season sitting in 10th place. Rebuilt the SPs via trades (Tyson Ross) and WW (Garrett Richards, Jake Arrieta, Brandon McCarthy) and was able to move up to 10th in ERA and 8th in WHIP. Team offense was strong enough (Big Thanks to Victor Martinez!) to carry the team to a tie for 3rd.

N.L. Dynasty (H2H) -- injuries and under performers doomed this team and it just missed the playoffs with a 5th place finish.

Overall finished in the money in 4 out of 5 leagues.

1 league, and I won it. Thought I was done in the first and second rounds, and then came back on the final matchup days. Cruised in the finals, thanks to Yasmani Grandal, Ian Kennedy, Corey Kluber, Kyle Lohse, and Mookie Betts. Feels good to drink champagne!

Booya! Won my league with a (keeper) league record 176.5 pts (out of a max 192). Finished no worse than 5th (out of 16) in any of the 12 categories. Really did it down the stretch with a handful of core guys and lots of waiver wire moves as I lost Stanton and Moss was lost.

Played the daily matchups as best as I could and it was truly about production, not names. A tremendous bullpen (Wade Davis, Melancon, Rondon, McGee, Benoit, Casilla) really helped a lot. Only had a handful of implosions out of the pen, and most of those were my fault going with waiver RPs.

The SPs were good enough with Shark and McHugh leading the way down the stretch. I entered Sep in a virtual 3way tie for first but won it going away. Great clutch performance by my team.

Took home the title in my 12 team H2H league after barely missing the championship game in 2013 (lost the semi-finals 7-6 on the last AB of the last game of the week which went to extra innings). I took over 1st place this year in Week 3 and finished the regular season 23 games ahead of 2nd. I broke a handful of records including matchup win streak (11 straight weeks), matchup victories (20 of 25), category wins (199), pitching QS (203), pitching wins (132) and a few more I don't remember. I won my semi-final matchup 7-6 despite Trout, Abreu, Donaldson, Cutch and others combining for only 2 HR all week. I won my finals matchup 7-6 as well, thanks to the arm of Jordan Zimmermann. It was a hell of a season and one I'll likely never be able to replicate.

Won my league on the very last day in a 7x7 roto keeper...dude dropped 5 points on the last day and I shot

up 2 to beat him. 4th year in a row now I've finished top dog. I wish I could give all the guys on

here a big ol' hug and hand shake for any help I've received over the years. I love reading you guys

cursing each other out on all the players haha You both always have valid points both sides, but always

good to see both sides the barrel (or however that saying goes). So I'm gonna throw out a HUGE THANKS to

everybody on here!

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, September 29, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, September 29, 2015 - No reason given

Edit: Whoops somebody necro'd.