Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SundayKindofLove

Carlos Rodon - SP CHW

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24485462/astros-gm-jeff-luhnow-drove-105-hours-likely-to-see-carlos-rodon

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow embarked upon a 10.5-hour roundtrip drive to watch No. 5 N.C. State square off against No. 2 Florida State Friday night. It was a pitching matchup pitting FSU's ace Luke Weaver -- but the main course here was obviously Wolfpack lefty Carlos Rodon.

The Astros, who hold the No. 1 pick again in the MLB draft this coming June, have already been connected with Rodon and he's the top player in the draft according to every scouting outlet. Not that Luhnow would acknowledge that's why he went on such a trek.

“It was a productive trip and it was a classic matchup,” said Luhnow (Ultimate Astros). “Two top ranked teams with their Friday night starters going. It was a well played game and I saw a lot of good baseball. It kind of made me miss my scouting days.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-top-50-october-2013-carlos-rodon/

After a below-average 2013 draft, the 2014 class has potential to be the best class since 2011’s banner crop.

Carlos Rodon (Photo by Alyson Boyer Rode)

The two headliners of the class are both college pitchers in North Carolina. N.C. State lefthander Carlos Rodon, who had a strong summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team, gives the class a clear No. 1 prospect, combining size, plus stuff, good makeup and a strong track record of success. Jeff Hoffman was the top prospect in the Cape Cod League, solidifying his status as the draft’s No. 2 prospect, with a fastball up to 97, an out-pitch curveball and changeup that flashes plus.

I wouldn't say likely #1 pick anymore. Before the season started, yeah. But he's struggled with his fastball command, and I've read from a few sources his velocity is a down a little from last year. Brady Aiken, Tyler Kolek, Tyler Beede are all options to go 1st as well. Rodon may still go 1st, but it isn't a lock anymore.

I wouldn't say likely #1 pick anymore. Before the season started, yeah. But he's struggled with his fastball command, and I've read from a few sources his velocity is a down a little from last year. Brady Aiken, Tyler Kolek, Tyler Beede are all options to go 1st as well. Rodon may still go 1st, but it isn't a lock anymore.

I don't think he's a lock anymore. But I still think he's likely #1'er.

The overuse is ridiculous. 379 pitches over his last three starts. The coach obviously doesn't care about his future. If I were Rodon, I wouldn't throw anymore than 100 pitches in any start. Especially with the draft not too far away. It's not like NC State is even that good this year. 23-19, 7-15 in the ACC. Save your arm kid, don't be throwing 135 pitches in some meaningless college start against a random ACC school.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/26/potential-top-draft-pick-carlos-rodon-threw-132-pitches-in-a-complete-game-loss-on-friday/

I agree. Rodon is getting worked like a mule. If I'm the Houston GM or player development guy, I take a hard look at Hoffman instead. Not familiar with Kolek's workload, but it seems like H.S. kids throwing that kind of heat are likely doing it without the best mechanics, just from lack of experience and training.

The Astros' timetable is coming together with Springer, Stassi, Correa, Appel, Folty, Singleton, etc. I think they should go "conservative" and take Hoffman, given Rodon's inconsistency this year and the workload. Hoffman may end up the better pitcher anyway. Pitchers are strange creatures.

Rodon has shown mad regression with his numbers so far.

Every pitch Rodon throws makes me value Aiken as the #1 more and more.

Baseball America agrees with you:

http://www.baseballa...chers-dominate/

Will be interesting to see my how my Dynasty League draft reacts.

I have the third pick in the upcoming June midseason draft. Looks like I'll be able to snap Rodon/Kolek/Aiken, one of the three, which is exciting for me.

I have the third pick in the upcoming June midseason draft. Looks like I'll be able to snap Rodon/Kolek/Aiken, one of the three, which is exciting for me.

Add Hoffman and Beede to the list and there are five arms I am aiming for.

Add Hoffman and Beede to the list and there are five arms I am aiming for.

Looks like Rodon struck out 15 in his last start too.

Going to be very interesting.

Hoffman's numbers are too low for someone with what his percieved "stuff" is supposed to be. I know it's not solely based on the numbers but it's just so discouraging to see someone really not perform for an extended period like this.

Beede has too many control issues for me to really be interested in for a top 3 pick.

Only 107 pitches tonight.... 6 2/3, 5 hits, 2 bb's, 0 er, 8 k's. ERA now at 1.87, 86 ip, 102 k. It's looking like the top pick is between him, Aiken, and Kolek. Those are the top three arms available, and should be the top three picks.

He's been promoted to AAA after a mere 9 2/3 innings in High-A. The Sox aren't wasting any time with him. Not saying he's the next Chris Sale or anything, but he's following a similar career trajectory in terms of being aggressively promoted.

Thinking a September callup in the bullpen might actually be a possibility. Won't be fantasy-relevant this year, but speaking for all Sox fans we don't have much to look forward to right now.

Pitched really well last time out. 3.2 ip, 3 h, 1 bb, 7 k.

Buddy Bell, White Sox assistant GM, was interviewed on 670 over the weekend about Rodon. He said one thing they really have been working on with him is his changeup. Sounds like they are emphasizing developing the change, and he said Rodon has already made vast improvements with the pitch. It sounds like he wasn't throwing it much in college, rather sticking to his fastball/slider combo. Bell referred to Rodon's great feel for pitching as a reason for his quick development with the changeup.

The development of his changeup will be huge for his future success, and it sounds like he's definitely headed in the right direction. His slider is already elite. Now if he can just dial in his fastball command. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the bullpen in September, but if they decide to keep him down I wouldn't be upset.

I'm guessing he's a part of the Sox rotation no later than mid-2015.

He's been promoted to AAA after a mere 9 2/3 innings in High-A. The Sox aren't wasting any time with him. Not saying he's the next Chris Sale or anything, but he's following a similar career trajectory in terms of being aggressively promoted.

Thinking a September callup in the bullpen might actually be a possibility. Won't be fantasy-relevant this year, but speaking for all Sox fans we don't have much to look forward to right now.

Don't forget about his 3 innings in rookie ball where he carried a whooping 6.00 ERA.

Carlos Rodon's journey could be extremely similar to Chris Sale's. The top lefty pitcher out of college who slid in the draft due to durability concerns (mechanical / over use) pitched minimal innings in the minors right out of the draft and into MLB dominance the very same season in which he was just drafted.

I mean the thought process here could literally be let's see what our new horse can do because we may as well blow his arm out as early in his career as possible. As let's face it the guy has Mark Prior innings on his arm coming out of college.

Stat line today;

4 ip, 1 h, 1 er, 1 bb, 8 k

Wow, love seeing that as a Sox fan.

Yeah, very impressive. This guy looks like the real deal. How much mileage does he rack up before he blows his arm out is the question. This guys career path has been so similar to Sale's so far it's eerie a good kind of eerie.

Stat line today;

4 ip, 1 h, 1 er, 1 bb, 8 k

Wow, love seeing that as a Sox fan.

Considering I have to heat about the all of the Cubs future HOF prospects, yes indeed!

Could honestly see him pick up a couple of September saves this year with how terrible the pen has been all season. Maybe he can be valuable in redraft

@scottmerkin 3m

Hahn stressed Rodon will be starting Saturday: for Triple-A Charlotte. Then, they will talk. No guarantee either way on callup

Not the greatest line tonight. 5 ip, 7 h, 2 er, 3 bb, 7 k. K's are nice though. I expect him to rack up a lot of them in the bigs. I think it's 50/50 right now if he's up in September. Not sure if I want him up or not. If they do bring him up, I hope it's as a starter. They've already stretched him out to 5 innings, so might as well give him some experience as a starter rather than a reliever.

I'm not educated on the nuances of MLB roster moves/limitations. Does the fact that Rodon was not promoted today effectively eliminate the possibility that he will debut in 2014?

I'm not educated on the nuances of MLB roster moves/limitations. Does the fact that Rodon was not promoted today effectively eliminate the possibility that he will debut in 2014?

Yeah he won't be coming up this year. It's a smart move. He was overworked at NCST this year, so limiting his innings is the wise decision.