Sign in to follow this  
Kobe_No_Means_No

2013-2014 Playoffs NBA Finals Game Thread

It's pretty underrated how the Bulls got Pippen and obviously had a great coach. Pippen is tremendously underrated because he played with Jordan. Chicago is also a big market where free agents were willing to sign, nobody wants to play in Cleveland. The best player Lebron played with in Cleveland was Mo Williams. MO WILLIAMS. If you want to make the case it was Varajeo or Zyrdrunas when he was younger, by all means. Just remember these are the best players Lebron got to play with in Cleveland.

People like to say that Bird and Magic didn't have to switch teams to make a title run. Bird played with 3 hall of famers in their prime, not to mention other really top notch role players. Magic played with arguably the greatest center of all-time in Kareem, a hall of famer in Worthy, a defensive player of the year in Michael Cooper and others. It's just not the same as Mo Williams and Zydrunas Illguaskus, sorry.

Add Carlos Boozer to the list of non-impressive, non-HOF level teammates of Lebron.

Boozer at age 22(pre-prime) for one year while Lebron was a rookie.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting stat:

The Spurs have only won ONCE (last year's playoffs in game 1) against the Heat at Miami in the American Airlines Arena since LeBron joined the Heat in 2010. While losing a total TEN times in the American Airlines Arena, since LeBron joined the Heat. It's definitely not going to be easy for the Spurs to win at Miami Home even though the Spurs had the best Road game record during the regular season.

I mean they only play there once a year (outside of the finals last two years). I believe one of those games was also that classic TNT game where Pop sat everyone because of YOLO.

That was a Spurs' home game, so it's irrelevant for this statistic. Winning only 1 game out of 11 games in Miami home since LeBron joined the team is still a pretty good picture of how much the Spurs struggle against Miami Home. And I don't think that it's because the Spurs play terrible in the American Airlines Arena, it's more that Miami plays outstandingly better at their home games versus road games, especially when they're more determined to beat a great team.

Edited by Eternal
  • Like 2

It's pretty underrated how the Bulls got Pippen and obviously had a great coach. Pippen is tremendously underrated because he played with Jordan. Chicago is also a big market where free agents were willing to sign, nobody wants to play in Cleveland. The best player Lebron played with in Cleveland was Mo Williams. MO WILLIAMS. If you want to make the case it was Varajeo or Zyrdrunas when he was younger, by all means. Just remember these are the best players Lebron got to play with in Cleveland.

People like to say that Bird and Magic didn't have to switch teams to make a title run. Bird played with 3 hall of famers in their prime, not to mention other really top notch role players. Magic played with arguably the greatest center of all-time in Kareem, a hall of famer in Worthy, a defensive player of the year in Michael Cooper and others. It's just not the same as Mo Williams and Zydrunas Illguaskus, sorry.

Add Carlos Boozer to the list of non-impressive, non-HOF level teammates of Lebron.

Probably the Cavaliers' biggest personnel blunder during LeBron's entire time there was the way they handled the Boozer situation. Just unfathomably stupid.

Probably the Cavaliers' biggest personnel blunder during LeBron's entire time there was the way they handled the Boozer situation. Just unfathomably stupid.

There's always been a he said she said tone to that situation. I really dont know if it was Cleveland's incompetence or Boozer's shadiness or both. Boozer was pretty damn good for a while, would have been an interesting to see how Lebron's Cleveland stint would have went.

Larry Hughes multi-year contract says hello. You're right though - letting Boozer walk for free was a huge blunder.

Larry Hughes multi-year contract says hello. You're right though - letting Boozer walk for free was a huge blunder.

Well as far as I know they had a handshake agreement for the Cavs not to pick up the option for Boozer but instead to sign him to a multi year deal. They didnt pick up a pretty cheap option, and then he went to Utah for more money.

Spurs are a great road team, not too worried yet.

I expect them to take one in Miami, especially since I don't see Bosh dominating the way he has the first two games. Kawhi needs to get some O going even though he has the toughest defensive assignment on the team, and Green's shot needs to travel this round...unlike the OKC series. Really hope this goes 7 and ends up back here in SA. NO WAY will I miss that game.

• Like 1

Well as far as I know they had a handshake agreement for the Cavs not to pick up the option for Boozer but instead to sign him to a multi year deal. They didnt pick up a pretty cheap option, and then he went to Utah for more money.

It doesn't matter at all if they have a handshake agreement. You have to assume that players will always act in their own self interest, which in this case meant signing with another team.

There's a reason no other teams did stuff like this, because the risk is way higher than the potential reward. They could have just given him his extension and then had Bird rights and none of this would have happened.

It doesn't matter at all if they have a handshake agreement. You have to assume that players will always act in their own self interest, which in this case meant signing with another team.

There's a reason no other teams did stuff like this, because the risk is way higher than the potential reward. They could have just given him his extension and then had Bird rights and none of this would have happened.

On one hand I agree with you, but truth be told you cant say other teams didn't stuff like this. There have been plenty of wink wink agreements in the NBA.

If Cleveland were just picking up his option, Boozer would have lost a ton of money. It seemed liked Cleveland was doing what they thought was right by paying him something more fair and that he would stay for longer. If Boozer took advantage of Clevenad's generosity when they didn't have to, it comes off as Cleveland being dumb but also Boozer being a prick.

Honestly though, don't know what went down or how often handshake agreements actually do work out in the NBA.

Has this thread de-railed a bit?

Ginobili choked this game away. And the free throws problems continue in cruical minutes for the Spurs, just like last year

Timmah and the Spurs don't seemed too phase by losing game 2. He said, we haven't even come close to playing our best game yet (which is true) and he thinks game 1 wasn't even close to their best. They seemed focused and ready to pounce game 3.

Ginobili choked this game away. And the free throws problems continue in cruical minutes for the Spurs, just like last year

Timmah and the Spurs don't seemed too phase by losing game 2. He said, we haven't even come close to playing our best game yet (which is true) and he thinks game 1 wasn't even close to their best. They seemed focused and ready to pounce game 3.

What I'm concerned about is the play of Kawhi Leonard. He was supposed to build on his great showing in last year's Finals.

Edited by StreetCred
  • Like 1

@spd2base, I don't think Miami has played their "best" game either. Chalmers has been horrible in 2 games. Wade is yet to have that signature game and should be salivating at the matchups (Green, Bellinelli). There was a period in Game 2, early 4th quarter, when Wade clearly had the match-up advantages, but simply missed. IMO, it's just a matter of time for Wade to break through. Cole and Bird - their two key subs - usually play better at home.

Edited by StreetCred
  • Like 2

What I'm concerned about is the play of Kawhi Leonard. He was supposed to build on his great showing in last year's Finals.

Agree 100%, if he doesn't show up, we're hosed.

@spd2base, I don't think Miami has played their "best" game either. Chalmers has been horrible in 2 games. Wade is yet to have that signature game and should be salivating at the matchups (Green, Bellinelli). It's just a matter of time for Wade to break through. Cole and Bird - their two key subs - usually play better at home.

Also agree with this, but if Bosh keeps his All-star play it won't matter what Wade and Mario do. Plus Kawhi and Green (two starters) have yet to show their impact on any game. Green showed up game 1 in the 4th, but his game hasn't traveled yet in the POs, so if we want a chance, one of those two supporting players need to show up.

Overall, the Spurs are a better team. But the pace Miami is making SA play, and the way anyone outside the big 3 in SA are playing, this may be a short series. Hope Pop makes the right moves to make this more of a typical SA game. Gotta give Spolestra credit, he's coaching pretty well, nice to have the greatest player since MJ (maybe better) on your team too.

I'm still believing! #goSpursgo

• Like 1

Bosh was my Xfactor, and he's delivering the goods (.590 FG%, 18pts). A far cry from last year's Finals, where only averaged 11.9pts, along with that goose egg in Game 7. This time, he's been huge.

On the other end,

Kawhi was my Xfactor for the Spurs, but he's basically a non-factor. The guy averaged 15pts (.500+ FG%) in last year's Finals, and he's a no show so far. Not looking good since Lebron has figured out how to attack his defense.

Shard Lewis. HUGE role player contribution. He's outscoring Diaw and Green. He is giving the Heat spacing, been solid on defense, and even gives the Heat a random post-up option when a small rotates on him.

Chalmers/Cole have been horrible, particularly Chalmers. It's not critical for them to be great, but you gotta hope they play better at home.

• Like 1

One thing to note is that Duncan was 2-8 during the final 3 quarters of Gm2. The Heat adjusted by switching on the high screen-roll, preventing the roll man (Duncan/Splitter) from getting great scoring position. Splitter was turned into a non-factor.

I think this game is bigger for the Spurs than it is for Miami. If Miami wins this, Spurs are going to have there backs against the wall. I think its really a must-win game for the Spurs tonight

I think this game is bigger for the Spurs than it is for Miami. If Miami wins this, Spurs are going to have there backs against the wall. I think its really a must-win game for the Spurs tonight

We were down 2-1 to Dallas with game 4 on the road and won. I agree it's a big game for the Spurs, but def not a must win. They've proven they can come back from 2-1 already this postseason.

• Like 3

They must win either Game 3 or Game 4.

Edited by Eternal
  • Like 1

They must win either Game 3 or Game 4.

True but I think if they lose this next game, Miami is going to have all the confident in the world to beat them in Game4 as well. I hope the 2012-2013 Leonard shows up tonight.

• Like 1

The Spurs must win 3 out of the next 5 games.

:lol: - I was waiting for someone to eventually post this...