Sign in to follow this  
Kobe_No_Means_No

2013-2014 Playoffs NBA Finals Game Thread

i pick spurs in 6. tough to go against lbj, but i think the homecourt advantage will be a huge factor.

the spurs are playing unbelievable basketball. the ball movement is so crisp. they seem to be getting an open look in 3 out of 5 possessions thanks to that unselfish play.

i think diaw will not be effective in this series though because lbj is much stronger than kd. so pops needs to find another way or another guy who he can rely on at the pf spot

Diaw is gonna be huge this series, as I doubt Pop puts splitter on Bosh much just because Splitter can't handle athletic bigs. Kawhi is gonna be locked on lbj most of the series, and Green will be on Wade.

Gooo Spurs.

F THE HEAT

I can feel the hate.

5-10 years ago. "OMG The Spurs are soooo boring to watch, F The Spurs."

As soon as they play the Heat in the finals "GO SPURS!!! They play basketball like it's meant to be played. Duncan and Popovich deserve this!!! F the Heat!!!"

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

Indiana Pacers defense on D Wade was horrible, thats why he's had the success in that series. Spurs play a solid defense and Pop wont let both of the players go off its either going to be LeBron or Wade. I am picking the Spurs to win it. They have more weapons and their bench way deeper then Miami CHeat's.

I think Spurs in 6.

I do think Wade is better this year than last, I just think the Spurs play with a chip on their shoulder compared to last year.

Two great teams.

Arguably the best SF and PF of All-Time.

I'm assuming Ginobli makes the hall of fame, which makes this series 7 hall of famers deep.

Should be fun. Couldn't ask for much more.

Corey Joseph is fine. Diaw has been a beast hope he continues hes awesome play.

Spurs have no shot without Parker. It's obvious he won't be 100% but he has to give them something. Last year's series really turned on when Parker injured his hamstring. Spurs probably win without that injury.

I hate to say this but I'm going with the heat. Wade looks so much better/healthier this year.

SSS but he's really not playing that much better. He hasn't had as many "injuries" and he's shooting better but almost all other stats are down in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see how he plays. I think this he's healthier than last year but still a declining player. Still, great players can always reach deep and come up with big plays in the biggest spots. Look at Duncan in OT last night.

However with that said there is this "teeny weenie" prospect that the Spurs will win over the Heat. Why? Well when the Heat won in 2006 against Dallas is was all good, rematch came and Dallas beat the Heat in 2011. Last year Heat beat the Spurs, rematch comes Spurs beat the Heat?

Lots of dynasties kept beating their predecessors over and over again.

Other than the Bulls over Utah, I can't remember this being true. Sixers and Lakers were 1-1. Boston and LA alternated with LA winning the last one. Detroit overcame the Lakers. Bulls beat everyone but Utah twice. Rockets played different tams. Spurs have never played the same team in the Finals until now. Same with the Shaq Lakers and Kobe Lakers. The narrative is so strange because the Spurs are older and really doing something never done before......but it's not really true that dynasties kept beating the same team in the Finals over and over again....

Heat still have the best player in the world and I would expect they'll be the favorites and IMO they deserve to be.....

Spurs have no shot without Parker. It's obvious he won't be 100% but he has to give them something. Last year's series really turned on when Parker injured his hamstring. Spurs probably win without that injury.

I hate to say this but I'm going with the heat. Wade looks so much better/healthier this year.

SSS but he's really not playing that much better. He hasn't had as many "injuries" and he's shooting better but almost all other stats are down in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see how he plays. I think this he's healthier than last year but still a declining player. Still, great players can always reach deep and come up with big plays in the biggest spots. Look at Duncan in OT last night.

However with that said there is this "teeny weenie" prospect that the Spurs will win over the Heat. Why? Well when the Heat won in 2006 against Dallas is was all good, rematch came and Dallas beat the Heat in 2011. Last year Heat beat the Spurs, rematch comes Spurs beat the Heat?

Other than the Bulls over Utah, I can't remember this being true. Sixers and Lakers were 1-1. Boston and LA alternated with LA winning the last one. Detroit overcame the Lakers. Bulls beat everyone but Utah twice. Rockets played different tams. Spurs have never played the same team in the Finals until now. Same with the Shaq Lakers and Kobe Lakers. The narrative is so strange because the Spurs are older and really doing something never done before......but it's not really true that dynasties kept beating the same team in the Finals over and over again....

Heat still have the best player in the world and I would expect they'll be the favorites and IMO they deserve to be.....

Who you got winning? Heat?

This is one of those finals matchup where I miss the 2-3-2 format compared to this 2-2-1-1-1 format. Championship teams win on the road.

Who you got winning? Heat?

I picked the Heat last year. I was actually surprised at how the Spurs were their equal. Basically home court was the difference. I hope it is this year too......Not sure yet though, a lot will depend on Parker's health....as it did last year.

Gooo Spurs.

F THE HEAT

I can feel the hate.

5-10 years ago. "OMG The Spurs are soooo boring to watch, F The Spurs."

As soon as they play the Heat in the finals "GO SPURS!!! They play basketball like it's meant to be played. Duncan and Popovich deserve this!!! F the Heat!!!"

To be fair, the Spurs have changed their style since the beginning of their run of titles.

To whit, their 1999 team was 19th in the league in pace; the 2003 edition was 20th, the 2005 team was 23rd, and the 2007 squad was 27th. They played slow, and they emphasized post-ups and defense.

I heard an interview with Steve Kerr after he accepted the Warriors' job, where he talked about his coaching influences. He mentioned going to the Spurs' offseason coaching retreat one year, about 5 years ago, where Popovich said something along the lines of, "We have to run." That's when they made it Tony Parker's team instead of Duncan's, and played with a much faster pace than they had previously.

The last 4 years they have been 14th, 7th, 6th, and 10th in pace. I don't think it's any coincidence that this newfound appreciation for their style of play has coincided with their conscious decision to play at a faster, more entertaining pace.

Disagree with the bolded statement whole heartedly. Spurs offense is capable of being just as explosive without Tony, we just have either Manu or Patty run the point and they're more than capable. Spurs don't rely on one player to make or break the team.

I'd have to strongly disagree. While I do agree that Wade is not the Flash of old, his play in last year's playoffs was a far cry from today. D-Wade was truly hobbled during last year's playoffs, and even got worse in the Finals. First of all, Wade struggled to get to the paint. Moreover, he couldn't plant his legs and get proper lift on his mid-range jumpers and floaters, which led to a sub-par .457 FG% (on 14.5 shots). In this year's playoffs, Wade is shooting the same amount of shots (14.7), but at an elite rate of .520 FG% (.535 effective FG%). Sure, the numbers (asts, stls, blks) are slightly down overall, but that's mostly due to usage management. Wade may not be as fast as before, but he's adapted nicely by using "pace" (hesitation, timing) to get to the paint, and when he gets in there, he can pull up for the tweener, or throw up his patented floater. I'd even argue that he's just as devastating as before - a "midrange monster" as Vogel put it - but we don't realize it since he's not as flashy as before.

I'm expecting a totally different Wade for the Finals. He's increased his output as the playoffs progressed, and I expect Wade to crank it up a notch for the Finals by doing what he does best -- putting pressure on the defense and taking advantage of his match-ups (i.e. Danny Green).

Edited by StreetCred

Disagree with the bolded statement whole heartedly. Spurs offense is capable of being just as explosive without Tony, we just have either Manu or Patty run the point and they're more than capable. Spurs don't rely on one player to make or break the team.

I'd bet that even your own team, the Spurs, will admit that without a healthy Tony Parker, they barely have a shot against the Heat. Patty is a solid back-up, but he can't replicate what Parker is and what Parker does...

I'd bet that even your own team, the Spurs, will admit that without a healthy Tony Parker, they barely have a shot against the Heat. Patty is a solid back-up, but he can't replicate what Parker is and what Parker does...

Never said Patty could replicate what Tony does, but with him out our offense changes into its own unique state with Manu and Patty running the point. Not the same, but just as lethal.

Edited by sasnumberonefan

Do you still got the Thunder in 6 over the Spurs? Oh ...wait

Never said Patty could replicate what Tony does, but with him out our offense changes into its own unique state with Manu and Patty running the point. Not the same, but just as lethal.

have to strongly disagree with this. Pops has a terrific way of getting the best out of his role players, but without Parker, SAS doesn't have a chance against the Heat.

• Like 1

I disagree that it will be "just as lethal". There are 2 things that give the Heat problems: 1) Size, and 2) point guards like Tony Parker.

Without Tony Parker putting pressure on the Heat's defense, the Heat will be very giddy.

• Like 1

Do you still got the Thunder in 6 over the Spurs? Oh ...wait

That was a reasonable prediction. I'd rather not bring up your track record though.

have to strongly disagree with this. Pops has a terrific way of getting the best out of his role players, but without Parker, SAS doesn't have a chance against the Heat.

Agree to disagree.

Spurs are also going to need another amazing performance by Danny Green or from elsewhere (Mills/Belinelli). The Heat are one of the most benign teams when it comes to allowing 3pt shots (and the Spurs are the best 3pt shooting team). Green has been magnificent lately, hitting 54% (20/37) 3pt the 6 game series against OKC.

Edited by Eternal
  • Like 1

Spurs are also going to need another amazing performance by Danny Green or from elsewhere (Mills/Belinelli). The Heat are one of the most benign teams when it comes to allowing 3pt shots (and the Spurs are the best 3pt shooting team). Green has been magnificent lately, hitting 54% (20/37) 3pt the 6 game series against OKC.

In the regular season, yes. But in the Finals, the Heat can adjust their defense to guard whoever is hot. Seriously, no one expected Green to have that kind of explosion in the Finals. Hence, it took the Heat until Game 6 to say, 'ok, let's put a shadow on Green', which strategically left Bosh to guard Duncan one-on-one. If you noticed in those games, the Spurs went to Duncan a lot more, by design. This is gonna be a very intelligent series to watch. Both teams know each other from last year's epic series, and there will be little to no surprises.

Heat in 6. Every game will be close.

Pacers took them to game 6. You dont think Spurs cant win more games then Pacers against this Miami team?

Of course they can. I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs won the series. But my prediction is Heat in 6.

Spurs in 5 since the new format. Just wait and see...

B)

• Like 1