Sign in to follow this  
Kobe_No_Means_No

2013-2014 Playoffs NBA Finals Game Thread

ADP predictions for Kawhi? I'm thinking he's firmly back in the top 20 in terms of preseason hype.

Brock said it well in the Kawhi thread

Guy has a lot of talent, but SA is so deep and plays so unselfishly that they rarely have to rely on Leonard during the regular season. He's an outstanding talent, but I question his first round upside next season if the whole gang is back.

• Like 1

I just thought it was funny. So to the LeBron lovers, don't get your panties in a bunch.

10370454_884506558244536_2445789030231900437_n.jpg

Edited by Doctor L

So where is Lebron going next year?

He is staying in Miami.

Bosh has already said he is willing to take a pay cut to keep the team together and add more talent. I think Wade will be willing to do the same. I am not sure how the cap works not an expert on it, but I think the big 4 talk with Melo is a huge possibility.

LBJ gets 17m a year to start (just like he did during his first year in Miami)

Wade & Bosh at 12m each

= 41m

If melo is willing to earn around 12m too to play with his friends, this big 4 talk is very very doable. All it needs (not that simple though because money is also a huge factor esp for athletes) is for these 4 guys to sit down together and discuss this.

I believe they can also start off the first year with those base salaries, and get increases yearly (10% at most i think), thus making their salaries fit the cap during the first year

Edited by sya

This is a great victory for the Spurs, but also for all fans of the game of basketball. It shows that team basketball is by far more important than talent, and when players buy into a system and sacrifice for the good of the team, anything can happen. What Lebron did going to Miami and teaming up with Bosh and Wade really turned me off as a fan of the game and it's been tough to watch these last few years, especially with Miami winning 2 titles in a row. I despise the "drive to the hoop and shoot a layup or get fouled" style that Lebron and Wade have perfected, it's painful to watch but obviously works. This Spurs team reminds me of some of the all-time great ball movement teams, the '86 Celtics being the first team that comes to mind. It's much more desirable to watch and I can only hope that other coaches and GM's watching this series try to emulate it.

• Like 4

So where is Lebron going next year?

He is staying in Miami.

Bosh has already said he is willing to take a pay cut to keep the team together and add more talent. I think Wade will be willing to do the same. I am not sure how the cap works not an expert on it, but I think the big 4 talk with Melo is a huge possibility.

LBJ gets 17m a year to start (just like he did during his first year in Miami)

Wade & Bosh at 12m each

= 41m

If melo is willing to earn around 12m too to play with his friends, this big 4 talk is very very doable. All it needs (not that simple though because money is also a huge factor esp for athletes) is for these 4 guys to sit down together and discuss this.

I believe they can also start off the first year with those base salaries, and get increases yearly (10% at most i think), thus making their salaries fit the cap during the first year

I think he stays too. There's just no team with cap space that's more enticing to go to. Real decision is if Wade opts in or is a team player and opts out with the other 2 and they bring in some help. Clearly the team lacks depth and Wade is a shell of his former self.

Someone above stated they might not have made it to the finals if they were in the West this year. Obviously not, they would have lost to the Spurs... But even not the Spurs they would have been pretty even with OKC and the Clippers and might have lost. I honestly didn't think the Heat would make it to the finals for a 4th straight year, there's a reason why nobody has in a long time. Lakers got swept in 2011 Jordan retired to go play baseball and retire again... having all those extra games just adds up. This was Indiana's year but something happened to them, and they just collapsed down the line.

Spurs deserved this without a doubt, best team by a mile this season.

Edited by brockpapersizer

not only the best team this year by a mile, but the best ball movement i have seen in any brand of basketball. unbelievable court awareness by all 5 guys on the floor even their bigs (splitter, diaw, duncan, even bonner at times). And this is not an exaggeration on my part. I've been watching basketball for more than 2 decades, and the ball movement that I have seen in this Finals will be hard to emulate even for this same team next year

• Like 4

As a Heat fan, you simply tip your hat to this Spurs team. It's their year. They deserve it. After the game, Haslem was quoted saying, "we played as hard as we can, but we just ran into a better team", and that's the honest truth. For the Heat, this core group had a great run: 4 straight Finals appearances, and 2 rings is nothing to sneeze at. They'll re-tool and will be fine.

Edited by StreetCred
  • Like 1

2-3 in the NBA Finals now for LeBron. Damn...

All that matters is 2 rings. 2 Finals MVPs. You win some, you lose some. it's hard to win in this league. He'll have more chances in the future.

• Like 1

This is a great victory for the Spurs, but also for all fans of the game of basketball. It shows that team basketball is by far more important than talent, and when players buy into a system and sacrifice for the good of the team, anything can happen. What Lebron did going to Miami and teaming up with Bosh and Wade really turned me off as a fan of the game and it's been tough to watch these last few years, especially with Miami winning 2 titles in a row. I despise the "drive to the hoop and shoot a layup or get fouled" style that Lebron and Wade have perfected, it's painful to watch but obviously works. This Spurs team reminds me of some of the all-time great ball movement teams, the '86 Celtics being the first team that comes to mind. It's much more desirable to watch and I can only hope that other coaches and GM's watching this series try to emulate it.

True, however the problem is there aren't many coaches in the league capable of orchestrating this type of basketball. It's not just the IQ of basketball players nowadays, but also the coaches that feed into iso-ball.

• Like 2

5 finals appearances is still great achievement itself and on top of that 2 rings.

Lots of great basketball players cannot even make it to the finals.

And he is just 29 years old.

Edited by det_tigers
  • Like 2

I read somewhere that Wade isn't going to take a pay cut..

All that matters is 2 rings. 2 Finals MVPs. You win some, you lose some. it's hard to win in this league. He'll have more chances in the future.

No man, his legacy is tarnished. He should have never got to the finals the years he lost. Someone like Hakeem is obviously way better than Lebron because he never lost in the finals and has 2 rings as well.

Lebron isn't even on Wade's level yet because he's still trailing him in ringz. Get your facts straight playa.

5 finals appearances is still great achievement itself and on top of that 2 rings.

I really like Lebron and he's the only Miami player I respect. He is one of the greatest ever but until he wins 5 or 6 rings he will never get out of the massive shadow of his own legacy. Also, LOL@Lebrons face when asked about his future in the press conference. I just wonder if he will put his friendship with Wade aside and tell the organization they'd be better off with him, Bosh and a good core of role players with Wade's salary.

No man, his legacy is tarnished. He should have never got to the finals the years he lost. Someone like Hakeem is obviously way better than Lebron because he never lost in the finals and has 2 rings as well.

Lebron isn't even on Wade's level yet because he's still trailing him in ringz. Get your facts straight playa.

Hakeem lost to the Celtics.

I don't really have the words right now.......It's a joyous situation, even here in Austin. Congrats to the Heat for a fabulous season and being a class act. The Spurs are the rightful champions and truly may have ushered in a new brand of basketball......

I really like Lebron and he's the only Miami player I respect. He is one of the greatest ever but until he wins 5 or 6 rings he will never get out of the massive shadow of his own legacy. Also, LOL@Lebrons face when asked about his future in the press conference. I just wonder if he will put his friendship with Wade aside and tell the organization they'd be better off with him, Bosh and a good core of role players with Wade's salary.

Problem is, it's Wade's decision to opt in. Doesn't matter what Lebron tells the organization.

Hakeem lost to the Celtics.

I don't really have the words right now.......It's a joyous situation, even here in Austin. Congrats to the Heat for a fabulous season and being a class act. The Spurs are the rightful champions and truly may have ushered in a new brand of basketball......

I stand corrected. Congrats to your Spurs Patrick.

What about Larry Bird's legacy? Losing 2 of the 5 finals he appeared in. :o

Losses count too. Gotta take the good with the bad. There's a reason why Jordan is widely considered the best ever. 6 for 6, with the highest career regular season and post season scoring averages.

Edited by Doctor L

I wonder if Tom Brady legacy is tarnished because he has lost 2 SB's since winning 3.

pretty much

I wonder if Tom Brady legacy is tarnished because he has lost 2 SB's since winning 3.

pretty much

Why is Joe Montana considered the best ever and not Peyton Manning? He went 4 for 4 and put up dominant numbers in his Super Bowls while Peyton played poorly in his Super Bowls, especially that last one. Losses DO matter to some extent. Like it or not people, they DO matter somewhat.

Edited by Doctor L
  • Like 1

Jeez, we've been over this. Losing in the Finals isn't unprecedented. Dr. J was 2-3 in the NBA Finals as well. Will it hurt Lebron if he ever gets to a place where we can have a serious comparison to Jordan? Yes. Otherwise, this is a non-story. Magic Johnson was 5-4.

Lebron had his best game of the series (maybe game 2) and this loss isn't on him. Did he play his absolute best? Maybe. Maybe not, but the Miami Heat got run off the court by a better and more focused team.

• Like 2

I just thought it was funny. So to the LeBron lovers, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Actually, it's the Lebron haters who always seem to have their "panties in a bunch", whining and complaining about Lebron, finding every angle to diminish his achievements and beating the dead horse on all his failures. Meanwhile, the guy is a two-time champ, a class act on and off the floor, and he's never gotten into any trouble.

• Like 1

Actually, it's the Lebron haters who always seem to have their "panties in a bunch", whining and complaining about Lebron, finding every angle to diminish his achievements and beating the dead horse on all his failures. Meanwhile, the guy is a two-time champ, a class act on and off the floor, and he's never gotten into any trouble.

He's not a total class act. The Decision wasn't a class act, nicknaming himself "The Chosen One" and "King James" wasn't classy either. That's pretty much narcissism. Overall he's been a great role model but he has his flaws of making everything about himself time and time again.