Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sya

Kevin Durant 2014-2015 Season Outlook

Im grabbing AD in a 12 teamer with the first pick. Like someone said up there, putting all your eggs into one basket is a bad idea hoping:

1. He comes back at 6-8 weeks with no setbacks (fractures are sketchy)

2. He can get back into game shape and conditioning (may take extra some time to get going)

3. The fracture doesn't linger and cause more concerns down the line

And all the while hoping you're not too deep in the whole by the time he comes back to risk your playoff hopes. I've learned with fantasy that you can't try to bank for an ideal case, because it almost never works out. The way you picture it happening 1-2 months down the line will probably not be what actually happens.

And it may turn out that KD comes back and destroys me and I regret it. But I just don't want to take that chance.

So in a 10 man h2h standard points league grab KD 1st over AD?

I bit the bullet and took him #1 earlier in a 14-team H2H.

Ended up with this squad which I hope can see me through the first couple of months:

PG Ty Lawson Patty Mills Alec Burks

SG Joe Johnson Victor Oladipo Giannis Antetekoumpo

SF Kevin Durant Marco Bellinelli Kyle Singler

PF Derrick Favors Amir Johnson

C Al Horford Samuel Dalembert

I bit the bullet and took him #1 earlier in a 14-team H2H.

Ended up with this squad which I hope can see me through the first couple of months:

PG Ty Lawson Patty Mills Alec Burks

SG Joe Johnson Victor Oladipo Giannis Antetekoumpo

SF Kevin Durant Marco Bellinelli Kyle Singler

PF Derrick Favors Amir Johnson

C Al Horford Samuel Dalembert

So many red flags in that roster .. Sorry mate. Good luck.

So best case 6 week scenario would see him back Nov 24 (15 games missed). 8 weeks would be Dec 8 (20 games missed). Assuming he keeps up his conditioning etc..

I posted this on another thread, but:

"All of you guys who are saying 6-8 weeks ... you do realize there is no official timetable released yet right?

I'd say it is a MINIMUM of 8 weeks, with possibility of him missing even more (more around 10-12 weeks). OKC will want him to make a FULL recovery. The last thing they want is to make him return too soon and re-injure the foot. We all know what happened with Brook Lopez when he tried that."

So please stop assuming 6 to 8 weeks until you hear more news in the next few days.

"All of you guys who are saying 6-8 weeks ... you do realize there is no official timetable released yet right?

I'd say it is a MINIMUM of 8 weeks, with possibility of him missing even more (more around 10-12 weeks). OKC will want him to make a FULL recovery. The last thing they want is to make him return too soon and re-injure the foot. We all know what happened with Brook Lopez when he tried that."

So please stop assuming 6 to 8 weeks until you hear more news in the next few days.

As of now I'll assume 6-8 weeks. Sorry if you want us stop assuming what 90% of the reports are. Your assuming min 8weeks. Some might assume min of 10weeks. Everything will be an assumption until he actually returns to the court.

As of now I'll assume 6-8 weeks. Sorry if you want us stop assuming what 90% of the reports are. Your assuming min 8weeks. Some might assume min of 10weeks. Everything will be an assumption until he actually returns to the court.

I guess what I was trying to say is to stop making rash decisions based on an unofficial timetable and to wait and see until an official timetable comes out.

Ok but you realise that the reports are based on typical return time for previous athletes including nba players for the same injury. Yes there are exceptions to the rule but that's the typical timeframe for this injury. So I think you gotta chill and let people have their say whether you agree or not. No one is saying the 6-8 is definite it's just the educated timeframe till we hear more.

I guess what I was trying to say is to stop making rash decisions based on an unofficial timetable and to wait and see until an official timetable comes out.

Yeah but the injury itself has a lot of variation (stress fracture vs complete fracture, exact location of fracture on metatarsal) that make comparing the injury to other incidents difficult. But it isn't very smart either way to put too much weight on the early reports before Durant opts in or out of surgery and a more accurate timetable is released.

Ok fair points guys. Let's just hope Durant doesn't miss a long time. I don't plan to draft him in any of my fantasy leagues, but I am a fan of the game and NBA without Durant is not the same.

Someone offered me Durant and Nowitzki for LeBron and Pau Gasol. It is a H2H league but can't decide if it is worth it considering Durant will miss around 25 games. Anyone want to weigh in?

What about the reports that Durant is still deciding between surgery and no surgery? How about the fact that they caught the stress fracture in the early stages? How about the fact that he was and is still able to play through it? I dont get how people come up with set time frames for these types of injuries. It seems as if all of them are different in nature.

When you are dealing with feet you have blood flow issues. Especially with a great many of these injuries. Often, 7 footers don't have the greatest circulation in their feet and any injury has difficulty healing without blood flow.

BEST CASE SCENARIO appears to be 10 weeks (Tim Grover said that would be an aggressive timetable). But until the surgery its not possible to know. And without seeing how his foot responds its all conjecture. But it IS possible that he doesn't play for ~3 mos. And if OKC can hold it together while he is out they simply aren't going to push him back on to the court.

He is the cornerstone of a keeper league for me so live or die I'm in with him. But if you are playing in a 1 year league be wary. ESPN has him all the way to 46. I certainly would take him a long time before then. But top 10? Just can't do it.

6-8 weeks might be the length of time until the bone is healed. No one comes back that fast though. I have no idea how that became conventional wisdom.

When you are dealing with feet you have blood flow issues. Especially with a great many of these injuries. Often, 7 footers don't have the greatest circulation in their feet and any injury has difficulty healing without blood flow.

BEST CASE SCENARIO appears to be 10 weeks (Tim Grover said that would be an aggressive timetable). But until the surgery its not possible to know. And without seeing how his foot responds its all conjecture. But it IS possible that he doesn't play for ~3 mos. And if OKC can hold it together while he is out they simply aren't going to push him back on to the court.

He is the cornerstone of a keeper league for me so live or die I'm in with him. But if you are playing in a 1 year league be wary. ESPN has him all the way to 46. I certainly would take him a long time before then. But top 10? Just can't do it.

6-8 weeks might be the length of time until the bone is healed. No one comes back that fast though. I have no idea how that became conventional wisdom.

+1

What about the reports that Durant is still deciding between surgery and no surgery? How about the fact that they caught the stress fracture in the early stages? How about the fact that he was and is still able to play through it? I dont get how people come up with set time frames for these types of injuries. It seems as if all of them are different in nature.

Exactly. I actually suffered a stress fracture to my fifth metatarsal in March and my treatment was only 3-4 weeks in a walking boot, but Durant's is likely more severe given the probability that it is a Jones fracture rather than a stress fracture further up the metatarsal. Like I said before, the treatment protocol is highly dependent on the location of the fracture (how far up it is along the bone) and whether it is a stress/transverse/avulsion fracture. Either way his choice not to have surgery could be a positive sign that it's a stress fracture rather than something more severe, but I guess we'll have to wait and see until we get something more definitive.

But this is not the type of injury that we can compare to other NBA players' or have any accurate sense of a timetable at the moment. Everyone needs to stop trying to be a doctor and just wait and see until any official news is released.... It's insane how we're having an argument as to whether it'll be a 6 week or 10+ week injury.

Any news on KD's injury?

Its tough for roto. Guy actually had your pick at 8 in $$ league and took him. I'd probably pass on him at 8 though and take love or melo.

in h2h 10 team league idk if I could do it at 8 but maybe in H2H its easier to bite the bullet.

I only play roto so for h2h not so sure but he'd probably go earlier for H2h.

Wow..espn dropped Durant down to pick 48. This draft is gonna be real interesting now.