Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Light Tower Power

Jung-Ho Kang - MI/CI PIT

interesting. Im sure he will end up getting overpaid with how bad SS is right now.

Just saw some highlights on MLB Network. Got a little Jose Bautista in him. I'm intrigued.

I thought the same thing. his swing looks really similar.

Considering that Eric Thames and Felix Pie are putting up fantastic numbers in the same league this year, I wouldn't have too lofty of expectations. I would guess he's not MLB ready right away, and probably isn't a MLB shortstop either. Probably not worth the money he will get imho

Considering that Eric Thames and Felix Pie are putting up fantastic numbers in the same league this year, I wouldn't have too lofty of expectations. I would guess he's not MLB ready right away, and probably isn't a MLB shortstop either. Probably not worth the money he will get imho

True that. But even in the minors as prospects they were beast and just busted. This guy set the record for home runs for a shortstop, that deserves attention. But I agree with you, high risk.

True that. But even in the minors as prospects they were beast and just busted. This guy set the record for home runs for a shortstop, that deserves attention. But I agree with you, high risk.

Pie and Thames were solid prospects but far from minor league beasts. Felix Pie specifically got more BA recognition than their numbers ever warranted.

His swing isn't that long for a power guy. Also looks okay as a fielder, solid arm, but his size and range definitely is a concern for SS. Looks like he could easily play 3B or 2B.

But it is worth noting he had some non-elite seasons before this past year, so this was a true breakout, he hasn't hit more than 25 HR in any other season.

Either way, he looks like a good player. A guy who can slot in right away at 2B and hit 25 HR with a solid average. His ceiling is very high, though.

I was impressed with the few swings I saw on MLB Network. The ball jumped off his bat and as said above the swing isn't long at all.

I'd love to see some full at bats against high quality pitching to see how he adjusts from pitch to pitch, at bat to at bat, etc.

Call me crazy but of the little video of the two guys and the expected price I'd rather have Kang over Tomas.

But from what I've read I'd rather have Yoan over both.

He's got a big, solid, body. He certainly looks the part of a 20 HR hitter physically and with the swing. However, he hangs that leg up there for a real long time with the leg kick, that is most concerning for me.

If the price is right, I'll buy... I love foreign players, you tend to know what you are getting much more quickly than prospects.

Any word yet who got the top bid? Bids had to be in over and hour ago, thought something would have slipped out by now!

Any word yet who got the top bid? Bids had to be in over and hour ago, thought something would have slipped out by now!

According to Nick Cafardo and other sources on Twitter, the team with the winning bid will be notified on Monday. So we'll have to wait a few more days before we find out where he lands.

Are the giants out now after signing mcgehee?? Seems to me like the A's are the frontrunner.. seems like a beane move to me.

Assuming the post above is accurate I'm going with Oakland.

Other potentials include Washington (as a 2b), LAD and Houston for 3rd, and Seattle as a SS.

For the record, i think he'll be a pretty good mlb hitter. 20 bombs or so depending on ballpark.

Padres

Mets

Orioles

Yankees

Bluejays

Add

Braves

Rays

Twins

Oakland is looking like a pretty good guess. Phillies could be a possibility too.

The team that posted the winning bid isn’t yet known, but it isn’t the Mets,ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin writes. It also isn’t the Padres, tweets CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, or the Dodgers, tweets the Los Angeles Times’ Dylan Hernandez. The Orioles aren’t the team, either, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets, and it’s not the Blue Jays, according to Jays broadcaster Mike Wilner (on Twitter), or the Yankees or Braves, via ESPN’s Jim Bowden (Twitter links). It also was not the Giants, tweets the San Francisco Chronicle’s John Shea. Add the A’s to the list of clubs who did not win the bidding, says John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group (via Twitter). Meanwhile, Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com is “led to believe” the Twins did not win (also Twitter). The Rays are also out, tweets Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

White Sox: 3rd?

Tigers: Do they really want punt defense and put him at SS?

Astros: 3rd?

M's: I suppose, but not really seeing it

Marlins: SS?

Nats: 2B?

Reds: Have they seen enough of Cozart, Unlikely i guess

Am I missing any landing spots?

The team that posted the winning bid isnt yet known, but it isnt the Mets,ESPN New Yorks Adam Rubin writes. It also isnt the Padres, tweets CBS Sports Jon Heyman, or the Dodgers, tweets the Los Angeles Times Dylan Hernandez. The Orioles arent the team, either, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets, and its not the Blue Jays, according to Jays broadcaster Mike Wilner (on Twitter), or the Yankees or Braves, via ESPNs Jim Bowden (Twitter links). It also was not the Giants, tweets the San Francisco Chronicles John Shea. Add the As to the list of clubs who did not win the bidding, says John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group (via Twitter). Meanwhile, Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com is led to believe the Twins did not win (also Twitter). The Rays are also out, tweets Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

White Sox: 3rd?

Tigers: Do they really want punt defense and put him at SS?

Astros: 3rd?

M's: I suppose, but not really seeing it

Marlins: SS?

Nats: 2B?

Reds: Have they seen enough of Cozart, Unlikely i guess

Am I missing any landing spots?

Since my previous guess of Oakland was wrong I'll stick with Washington or Seattle.

Obviously the numbers look terrific, but it's very telling that 32 MLB GM's decided against spending over $5 Mil. to sign a potential SS in his prime years. My guess is every GM feels he's a future backup infielder.

A decent hitting SS is worth $15 Mil/year if you look at what FA's are signing for these days. (J.Peralta for example)

They likely believe he'll hit .220-.240 w/ 15 hr's...if he can even stick in the majors.

Skepticism is only natural. But the $5 million was just the posting fee. I'm sure he'll get quite a bit more when he signs with a team.

And even if he doesn't get a huge contract, that won't deter me from taking a flier on him. It's impossible to project anything from him, but I think you're selling him short.

In an attempt to lock up all shorstop prospects, Theo will be taking both Kang and Moncada off the market. Only kidding about Kang, I think anyways.....