Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rustyshackleford2

Does LM have right to veto unfair trades?

I am a LM of a fantasy football league with my coworkerss. Some guys in this league have never played fantasy football before. I felt that I was obligated as LM to veto the following trade because of how one-sided it was. Team 1 trades DeSean Jackson, Sammy Watkins, Terrance Williams to team 2. Team 2 trades Drew Brees, Marques Colston to team 1 and team 2 drops Chris Ivory. Am i justified in vetoing trades this unfair?

Have an open vote about it. Decide on what the majority thinks.

Just myself personally (and we all have different beliefs...) I would veto it if the guy who's sending Brees/Colston/Ivory was a new player who has no clue what's going on. Again, that's just me. A lot of people feel that as long as you're not sending Jamaal Charles for a kicker the trades fine. And that's OK too...

Leave it up to a majority decision, I personally don't think a LM should step in and veto a trade unless he can prove collusion. Some new managers have to learn the hard way if it means trading away their first round pick than so be it.

Team 1:

QB: Nick Foles

RBs: Adrian Peterson, Chris johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Justin Forsett, Trent Richardson, Terrance West, Jeremy Hill

WRs: Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, DeSean Jackson, Terrance Williams, Sammy Watkins.

TE: Jordan Cameron

D/ST: Broncos

K; Steven Hauschka

Team 2:

QB: Drew Brees, Russel Wilson

RB: Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Chris Ivory, Bernard Pierce, Donald Brown

WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Emmanuel Sanders, Marques Colston, Donnie Avery, Michael Crabtree, Riley Cooper

TE: Vernon Davis

D/ST: Packers

K: Nick Folk

As stated earlier TEAM 1 trades Jackson, Williams, Watkins to TEAM 2

TEAM 2 Trades Brees and Colston to TEAM 1.

TEAM 1 drops Ivory.

Also TEAM 2 mentioned a desire to veto his own trade

that trade is pretty horrible especially when looking at the rosters. but if you veto this trade, how will you handle all upcoming trades? if you're playing with rookies, trades like this will always happen

I forgot to mention that this league has 2 flex positions, if that is at all relevant. I went ahead and vetoed it because not enough people voted to veto it( a few voted to veto 0 people voted to allow), but when I asked them in person they said yes, they were just too lazy to get on a computer. It wasn't just about protecting this person from irreparable to damage to his team it was about keeping the league competitive.

I made a manifesto of sorts on the league page about trades and fairness and league integrity,. I think it got the point across. I am okay with somewhat one-sided trades, but the degree in which this trade was one-sided was just too much for me to condone.

My thoughts are, unless you feel there is cheating, it is best to stay out of other managers buisness. If a experienced/savy manager can take advantage of another one..so be it. Thats all part of the experience IMO.

With that said, I see nothing wrong with putting it to a league vote. This is a lopsided trade. I have had trades veto'ed by commissioners in the past, w/o league votes, for much less. Each time it has pissed me off. On one occasion, I left that league the next year.

I don't think you can go wrong with putting it to a vote, at least this early in the year.

I forgot to mention that this league has 2 flex positions, if that is at all relevant. I went ahead and vetoed it because not enough people voted to veto it( a few voted to veto 0 people voted to allow), but when I asked them in person they said yes, they were just too lazy to get on a computer. It wasn't just about protecting this person from irreparable to damage to his team it was about keeping the league competitive.

Well if nobody thought it was fair and they all were against it then i don't think there's any issue with a veto. what is the djax/twilliams/watkins guy saying?

It inspired me to create the following LM note on the top of the league page hopefully it curbs potential equally stupid trades from ever occuring:

I don't like vetoing trades, but I will if they are blatantly one-sided, or so one-sided that it could be mistaken for collusion. Such trades threaten the integrity and legitimacy of the league. Without some sense of parity in sports, fantasy or not, they become boring. I unfortunately have to consider this when trades are proposed, and I will act against or for the trade accordingly. I encourage/request all owners to vote their preference to veto or allow a pending trade, freeing me of the burden to act as LM. Please vote with integrity and sincerity.

My thoughts are, unless you feel there is cheating, it is best to stay out of other managers buisness. If a experienced/savy manager can take advantage of another one..so be it. Thats all part of the experience IMO.

With that said, I see nothing wrong with putting it to a league vote. This is a lopsided trade. I have had trades veto'ed by commissioners in the past, w/o league votes, for much less. Each time it has pissed me off. On one occasion, I left that league the next year.

I don't think you can go wrong with putting it to a vote, at least this early in the year.

Yeah my only problem was getting people to actually vote on the website before the trade review period expired I only was able to get 3 votes to veto no one voted to allow, but everyone who i talked to in person was against the trade. The only reason i had to exercise my league manager veto power was because alot of the people in the league were somehow too busy to get on a computer and visit the website

Leave it up to a majority decision, I personally don't think a LM should step in and veto a trade unless he can prove collusion. Some new managers have to learn the hard way if it means trading away their first round pick than so be it.

Completely agree with this. Been a manager for going on 5 seasons now, and have seen some pretty terrible trades, but ultimately, it's up to the league to decide. Many like this one have been vetoed by the league. But as league manager, your job is to ensure things are on the up and up. If you can prove collusion, that's one thing. if it's a newbie learning their lesson, that's another entirely.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=462853

Well if nobody thought it was fair and they all were against it then i don't think there's any issue with a veto. what is the djax/twilliams/watkins guy saying?

All he said was its not trade rape if its consensual and that he needs drew brees to win. Which is irrelevant.

Yeah my only problem was getting people to actually vote on the website before the trade review period expired I only was able to get 3 votes to veto no one voted to allow, but everyone who i talked to in person was against the trade. The only reason i had to exercise my league manager veto power was because alot of the people in the league were somehow too busy to get on a computer and visit the website

If they aren't going to take 5 minutes to get on and veto, they have no room to say anything about it. If they can't bother to be involved beyond setting their lineup once a week, maybe they need to find another hobby

Completely agree with this. Been a manager for going on 5 seasons now, and have seen some pretty terrible trades, but ultimately, it's up to the league to decide. Many like this one have been vetoed by the league. But as league manager, your job is to ensure things are on the up and up. If you can prove collusion, that's one thing. if it's a newbie learning their lesson, that's another entirely.

http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=462853

I honestly think this is more of a case of an owner not caring more than an owner making a bad trade decision. I'm almost certain the owner accepted the trade just for the hell of it, giving it little if any consideration. I know you will say "Then why did you let him in your league?" Well we needed a 10th team and we were short on time.

I agree with the comments above. Unless there is cheating and collusion I think that managers should be free to make their own dumb mistakes and learn things the hard way. You don't want to set a bad precedent and become judge & jury on every trade; some trades can even look unfair on the surface but actually can help both managers because of their rosters. If you want to let the league vote on it go ahead - but sometimes league members vote to veto simply because they feel they don't want other teams to improve - calls and texts start flying to tell other managers to veto, etc. Good Luck!

http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=462822

I honestly think this is more of a case of an owner not caring more than an owner making a bad trade decision. I'm almost certain the owner accepted the trade just for the hell of it, giving it little if any consideration. I know you will say "Then why did you let him in your league?" Well we needed a 10th team and we were short on time.

Desperate or not, I won't say "why did you let him in your league" but if you let someone in out of desperation, you gotta reap what you sow. The other managers still had a chance to veto this, it's on the league as a whole not the commish if the participation of the rest isn't there...

Desperate or not, I won't say "why did you let him in your league" but if you let someone in out of desperation, you gotta reap what you sow. The other managers still had a chance to veto this, it's on the league as a whole not the commish if the participation of the rest isn't there...

You are right, that is why I fully intend to make that my first and last LM veto. The extenuating circumstance here forced my hand however. Team 2 expressed that he only accepted the trade against his better judgment because he told Team 1 days prior, before he had time to do research let alone think about the trade, that he agreed unofficially to the trade in principle alone. His sole reason for accepting the trade officially days later was because he fancies himself a man of his word. The time between the the unofficial and official trade he had discovered that the trade was terrible but made it anyway because for some reason or another he felt obligated.

I have finally decided, that if the parties in this trade still want to make this trade then they can propose it again and if it survives the review period without being vetoed by a majority of teams, I will let it pass, and I pledge to not to use the LM veto on any trades henceforth, which i never wanted to do in the first place, it was painful for me to have to do that. If people don't want to participate, so be it, I have 2 other leagues.