Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Yoan Moncada - IF CWS

Realistically when can we expect him to sign? Are we talking a few weeks or months?

I'd guess weeks, maybe 2 months max.

Realistically when can we expect him to sign? Are we talking a few weeks or months?

I'd guess weeks, maybe 2 months max.

I was thinking a lot less, any reason why so long?

Did the Dodgers make a legit bid at Lester? Even if they did, since when does one team outbidding another for one player, whom they now have to pay, automatically translate to them outbidding everyone else again for the next available high profile free agent?

I never claimed that it did. Read my post and don't insert things that I never said. The poster I was addressing said BOS/NYY/LAD would match or beat any offer the CHC made and I said that wasn't true and gave an example.

Why do you keep saying that's not true when its been widely reported for weeks now that Boston, New York, and LA are the favorites??

Because those aren't the only teams reported, those are just the teams that you choice to write for whatever reason.

Oh really?

"The Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers are believed to be the heavy favorites to land Moncada, a 19 year old considered to be one of the most talented Cubans to come off the island in years."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ofac-clarifies-stance-mlb-is-only-hurdle-for-cubans/

OH REALLY!

"The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago Cubs remain the favorites for Moncada, major league sources said"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--star-cuban-prospect-yoan-moncada-s-free-agency-imminent-230856047.html

@JeffPassan Nothing has changed with the early favorites in the Yoan Moncada sweepstakes: It's the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, then everyone else.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/562718387424755713

"The heavy favorites are the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, with my best estimation that the price will be around $40 million on the bonus and another roughly $40 million going to MLB as a penalty, along with a two-year ban on international signings over $300,000."

"The Rangers and Cubs are the only two teams that can’t sign Moncada right now, because they’re finishing up their penalty year for going over their international pool last year (the penalty recently was changed to two years, but Texas and Chicago broke it when the penalty was only one year). Sources indicate both teams are trying to convince Moncada to wait until July 2nd (when sanctions on both clubs will end) to sign, but it’s extremely unlikely that Moncada will wait that long and take the Red Sox and Yankees out of the bidding, as Boston and New York start their two-year penalties on July 2nd for going over this year’s pool."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/everything-you-need-to-know-about-yoan-moncada/

But, but, but....the CUBS!!!! :rolleyes:

I know it depends on what team he signs with but I assume he will spend some time in the minors correct? Dynasty league owners must be praying he signs before their minors draft!

whats the deal with this guy as far as time he will have to spend in the minors? I know he is young and He can't be signed until July 2nd so owners will have to grab him off waivers (in my league atleast because he can't be drafted) I plan on holding onto my $100 in bidding bucks and 1st waiver priority (hopefully) to snag this guy. I'm just curious if it's possible he spends 1-2+ years in the minors. It will suck to carry him on your active roster for that long but it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

I do not think that is accurate. I have stayed up on moncada for a while and unless I missed something significant he should sign prior to the start of the season. In fact I read yesterday (I think from ben badler) that he has a good shot to sign in the next 2 weeks.

My bad...I did read somewhere he couldn't sign until July 2nd but I just realized that's only for certain teams.

Honestly, any writer who puts the Cubs or Rangers as candidates to sign Moncada doesn't get the international system, and the implication of the July 2 deadline.There's no way Moncada is going to let the Yankees and Sox leave the bidding race, let alone the notion that he would be OK with not playing any organized league baseball until after he signs. Sure, waiting until after July 2 gets CHC & TEX back in - but gets NY & BOS out. No way any agent will say that's a smart move under any circumstance. Signing now, Moncada gets paid with the biggest market bidders in the race and he gets to play sooner? Don't see any other result than an early signing.

Kid's going to get paid, and frankly, any MLB team who's willing to put up 60M+ (more likely 80M - 40M contract, plus the 100 percent penalty) for 6+ years of control at the thinnest and outside of C, perhaps the most important D position around, well they should be lining up. Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees are the lead dogs, but if a midmarket team can't afford the 100M+ contracts for the elite FA's, this is a cheaper option, with an equally high ceiling (a lot lower floor, which is the risk, but hey, if you're a midmarket team, you can't win nowadays without some risks like these).

Hard not to see a signing in the next 7-10 days at this rate.

Lets go Dodgers!

Would love to see the left side of the infield comprised of Moncada and Seager in the future!

Lets go Dodgers!

Would love to see the left side of the infield comprised of Moncada and Seager in the future!

Dodgers! Dodgers! We never spend on anything. We DESERVE this.

Honestly, any writer who puts the Cubs or Rangers as candidates to sign Moncada doesn't get the international system, and the implication of the July 2 deadline.There's no way Moncada is going to let the Yankees and Sox leave the bidding race, let alone the notion that he would be OK with not playing any organized league baseball until after he signs. Sure, waiting until after July 2 gets CHC & TEX back in - but gets NY & BOS out. No way any agent will say that's a smart move under any circumstance. Signing now, Moncada gets paid with the biggest market bidders in the race and he gets to play sooner? Don't see any other result than an early signing.

Kid's going to get paid, and frankly, any MLB team who's willing to put up 60M+ (more likely 80M - 40M contract, plus the 100 percent penalty) for 6+ years of control at the thinnest and outside of C, perhaps the most important D position around, well they should be lining up. Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees are the lead dogs, but if a midmarket team can't afford the 100M+ contracts for the elite FA's, this is a cheaper option, with an equally high ceiling (a lot lower floor, which is the risk, but hey, if you're a midmarket team, you can't win nowadays without some risks like these).

I agree with a lot of this post with one caveat about the bold. If, big IF, the Cubs or Texas were willing to pay him significantly more than offers from LAD, NYY, etc. then it'd be worth it to wait. When I significantly more I mean $5m or more over the highest offer from teams that can make offers now.

It's up to the agent how he wants to play it. He could say to the Cubs/Texas, "We have $31m on the table right now from LA. We're going to take it unless you're willing to guarantee us $36m on July 2nd."

MLBTradeRumors.com:

Yoan Moncada Market Notes

By Jeff Todd [February 3, 2015 at 11:44pm CST]

With the evening’s news that prized young Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada is free to sign, additional information has begun to roll in. It isn’t hard to see why he has generated so much attention. As Ben Badler of Baseball America explains, Moncada may not have quite the certainty of an otherwise generally comparable prospect such as Corey Seager, but could reasonably be valued in the same range as — and, indeed, ahead of — a young player as heralded as Miguel Sano. That would make Moncada one of the best dozen or so pre-MLB properties in the game.

Here’s the latest:

•Moncada is expected to sign soon, reports MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, although he does have workouts scheduled with individual teams through the middle of this month. The list of teams he has already worked out for does not appear to have been expanded upon from prior reports, with Sanchez noting (via Twitter) that the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rangers, Rays, Tigers, and Brewers have all had private looks.

•With Moncada now eligible to sign, and a long stretch remaining before the July 2 market flips over, Badler tweets that the Cubs and Rangers are probably out of the mix. Moncada could still theoretically wait to sign with one of those teams — each of which is currently prohibited from paying all but relatively small international signing bonuses for blowing their allotment in past seasons — but that seems rather unlikely.

•Some clubs believe the Dodgers are a “strong favorite” to add Moncada, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney tweets. Los Angeles has made no secret of its intention to pursue the talented 19-year-old.

•Another expected front-runner, the Red Sox, have remained fairly tight-lipped about Moncada, as Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports.

•Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski confirmed that his club had expressed interest and held a workout for Moncada, but otherwise would only acknowledge that Moncada is a talented player, as James Schmehl of MLive.com reports.

----------------------------------------------

Rotoworld Blurb:

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that some other teams view the Dodgers as the "strong favorite" to sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada.

The Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox have been generally viewed as the most likely landing spots for the Cuban defector simply due to their deep pockets. It appears, though, that the Dodgers could be at the top of the list. Moncada has finally been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball and the feeling is that he should find a landing spot relatively soon.

Source: Buster Olney on Twitter

Feb 3 - 9:30 PM

I agree with a lot of this post with one caveat about the bold. If, big IF, the Cubs or Texas were willing to pay him significantly more than offers from LAD, NYY, etc. then it'd be worth it to wait. When I significantly more I mean $5m or more over the highest offer from teams that can make offers now.

It's up to the agent how he wants to play it. He could say to the Cubs/Texas, "We have $31m on the table right now from LA. We're going to take it unless you're willing to guarantee us $36m on July 2nd."

Because its still risky. Since nothing is contractually obligated..(and if it were, that wouldn't be legal) It would have to very significant raise for them to risk that based on promise and word of mouth.. I'd like to think any agent worth is weight would know the bird in hand is a safer better than a "promise".. Since those teams could just be playing a game and not actually go as high as they say they will if he turely did wait and NYY/BOS was out of the mix. That factor absolutely has to be in the mind of his agent..

I just have a hard to time seeing them blowing those teams out of the water in this... Its way too much time for a team to give him a comparable number to sign him.. I'm just saying. If you know you are getting paid. That is long to wait...so if you wait. He has to very very big raise.

Because its still risky. Since nothing is contractually obligated..(and if it were, that wouldn't be legal) It would have to very significant raise for them to risk that based on promise and word of mouth.. I'd like to think any agent worth is weight would know the bird in hand is a safer better than a "promise".. Since those teams could just be playing a game and not actually go as high as they say they will if he turely did wait and NYY/BOS was out of the mix. That factor absolutely has to be in the mind of his agent..

I just have a hard to time seeing them blowing those teams out of the water in this... Its way too much time for a team to give him a comparable number to sign him.. I'm just saying. If you know you are getting paid. That is long to wait...so if you wait. He has to very very big raise.

Who in the right mind would not want to be a millionaire right now anyway? Why risk millions of dollars when you don't already have millions of dollars. It's very similar to Appel not signing, that was dumb and I hoped he blew his arm out for being so ungrateful. Now the Max Scherzer thing was a little different. Dude already has been paid millions so if his gamble didn't pay off he wasn't left broke.

If Moncada doesn't sign this year and then breaks his back in the or dies or whatever before he signs in June... No money.

Plus it'll set him back months of development. For a foreign defector that is going to compound more than it would with a domestic guy as Moncada still has to adjust to the cultural changes as well as continue to develop as a baseball player.

This guy would be smart to sign in the next week or so so he can get his a** to spring training.

This Bonus doesn't count against a teams Luxary cap limit. Correct?

It does not count against the luxury tax, only the IFA pool penalty for going over the spending limit (though that is 100%)

What are some projections for this guy? I know everyone in more interested in what team he will play for but what will he do when he gets there?

What are some projections for this guy? I know everyone in more interested in what team he will play for but what will he do when he gets there?

I've seen some Cano comps with better speed and slightly less power, but it's too early to throw an estimated slash line on him.

Way more power potential than Profar. His power/speed combination is being compared to Puig's when Puig came out of Cuba. Imagine that ability at 2B or 3B

Way more power potential than Profar. His power/speed combination is being compared to Puig's when Puig came out of Cuba. Imagine that ability at 2B or 3B

I guess it's a little apples and oranges. Once upon a time Profar was projected at 20-20. Yasiel Puig went 16-11 last year. So what's actually a more positive thing to say about a prospect Old Profar comp or Current Puig comp? Probably the Profar thing, but I digress.

On a side note, I've been "promoted" from my deskjob to clicking refresh on my Yoan Moncada search on Twitter. Basically, I do this 4 times an hour.

Cano with less power and more speed sounds like a Profar comp.

Profar's career is not over yet.

Cano with less power and more speed is a really good player at MI eligibility. Not a diss.

Cano with less power and more speed sounds like a Profar comp.

Profar's career is not over yet.

Cano with less power and more speed is a really good player at MI eligibility. Not a diss.

The kid looks stockier than Cano. Badler says 2B, 3B or OF.