Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Yoan Moncada - IF CWS

His fantasy relevance is basically zero for this year and probably a good part of next year.

Point being? This is the MILB forum to talk about prospects and what their impact may be when they make the bigs. I don't think anyone expects him to be in the majors this year, or next.

Plenty of us have minor league systems, so as a fantasy prospect and someone who will taken extremely high in prospect drafts this year, his fantasy relevance (not fantasy production) is much higher than you may think.

His fantasy relevance is basically zero for this year and probably a good part of next year.

Point being? This is the MILB forum to talk about prospects and what their impact may be when they make the bigs. I don't think anyone expects him to be in the majors this year, or next.

Still an outside chance, we can hope. Say he lands on a playoff bound team and he kills through the minors. Could be a late season call up.

What are the service time issues on these type of contracts, I don't think there are any besides options right?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/108325226/yoan-moncada-my-goal-is-to-sign-with-a-team-soon

"My goal is to sign with a team soon, start training with them, and make it to the Major Leagues as fast as I can with whichever team that might be," Moncada said in Spanish to MLB.com in his first interview since arriving in the United States in late November. "I know I'm going to do the best I can for as long as I can in this sport."

Moncada, 19, has worked out privately for the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rangers, Rays, Tigers and Brewers. Other teams are expected to join the mix now that Moncada is eligible to sign.

The contract discussions between Moncada and the interested teams have intensified in the hours since he became eligible to sign. The teenager could agree to a contract with a club sometime this month.

"I just want the opportunity to show what I can do," Moncada said. "I just want to play baseball."

Wants to sign quickly.

Here's what we know:

-He's not a SS. Stinks because with his upside, he could be a monster at that position, but will probably be a 2B or 3B. OF possibly, but I'd bet 2B if I was a betting man.

-Wants to sign "soon." I would think this would effectively rule out the teams like the Rangers and Cubs as possible landing spots given they would have to wait until post July 2nd to sign him. Obviously anything is possible, but if he wants to sign soon and those teams obviously cannot sign him for another few months, I would think their chances plummet.

-Badler says Moncada would be "in the 7-12 range" regarding in his prospect rankings. http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/will-yoan-moncada-rank-top-100/

-Moncada, according to that BA link, did not play in 2014. Obviously that's a lost year of development and he's only 19, so I'd be surprised if he played this year. Maybe sometime next year. Who knows, but he's not like an Abreu or Castillo who's going to play close to immediately. All depends on how he fares against minor league competition. It's basically like signing an uber talented 1st round pick. Sure he's got upside, but he needs to develop. And on that note, people have been saying that if he were available for this year's draft, he'd be the #1 overall pick.

Report now that he has a workout out the week of 2/15. Not sure how much credence I give to that as I cant imagine what serious suitor hasnt done their homework yet, or what possible reason there is for delaying the workout almost two full weeks from now. The big spenders have already done their homeworks os itll be curious to see how this pans out.

Anyone else "shocked" that the Cubs weren't specifically listed on the "odds" Brock posted?

Anyone else "shocked" that the Cubs weren't specifically listed on the "odds" Brock posted?

No, because they can't offer him any money until July.

Read the whole thread and turn on your sarcasm detector.

No, they can offer him 250k lol. But nothing more.

No, they can offer him 250k lol. But nothing more.

He should be grateful just to sign with a juggernaut like the Cubs. In fact, he would probably end up paying them for the honor.

Just saw on MLBTradeRumors.Com that the Padres expect to be heavy players for Moncada.

Just saw on MLBTradeRumors.Com that the Padres expect to be heavy players for Moncada.

Whats gotten into the padres lately???

One last tidbit. Per Rotoworld the Padres are working out Moncado today. Of all the moves they've made this offseason if they pony up the cash that it's going to take to sign this guy it'll be the move that stuns me the most. You're talking a financial outlay of 60m to 80m instantly including signing bonus and penalty. That's a move that can be made only if ownership gives the okay. I know Preller, White, and Welke are drooling over this toolbox of talent but that's going to be a tough sell to ownership.

If I were Moncada, I'd have to see a pretty big difference to sign with the Padres. Park factors will hurt his next contract.

If I were Moncada, I'd have to see a pretty big difference to sign with the Padres. Park factors will hurt his next contract.

Kinda doubt that. In-fact its usually the opposite. Teams are always wonder about Rockies hitters transition to a normal park. Teams will wonder if a pitcher pitching in a stadium like Petco/Safeco would transition well to a smaller stadium....

Surface numbers only mean soo much..They certainly influence the market. However, they far far far from dictate it. Not to mention we have a ton of park neutral stats to look at...as MLB teams do too..

Kinda doubt that. In-fact its usually the opposite. Teams are always wonder about Rockies hitters transition to a normal park. Teams will wonder if a pitcher pitching in a stadium like Petco/Safeco would transition well to a smaller stadium....

Surface numbers only mean soo much..They certainly influence the market. However, they far far far from dictate it. Not to mention we have a ton of park neutral stats to look at...as MLB teams do too..

So few players go for less than market value, that I think saying it's the "opposite" doesn't work. I cant think of a Rockies hitter who got a bad contract the following year. Holliday got a ton of money. Cuddyer didn't get a ton 2 for 22, but it cost the Mets a pick and they only did it to keep Wright happy.

Someone like Josh Hamilton got paid a crap ton for hitting his 40+ dingers in Texas. I know a lot of that was talent based, but I don't think he would have had those numbers in Petco, and I dont think he would have had that sort of contract...although he probably still gets good money.

So few players go for less than market value, that I think saying it's the "opposite" doesn't work. I cant think of a Rockies hitter who got a bad contract the following year. Holliday got a ton of money. Cuddyer didn't get a ton 2 for 22, but it cost the Mets a pick and they only did it to keep Wright happy.

Someone like Josh Hamilton got paid a crap ton for hitting his 40+ dingers in Texas. I know a lot of that was talent based, but I don't think he would have had those numbers in Petco, and I dont think he would have had that sort of contract...although he probably still gets good money.

I went at this wrong:

As the game evolves with this saber and advanced thinking.. We are talking something that is probably 8 years down the road. Unless he signs an extension. Surface numbers always will set a guy up in the Market. However, I guess what i should have said is:

An Elite Talent hitting the Market in his prime is going to get him boatloads. No matter if the Park in-flates or de-flates his surface numbers. GMs are pretty aware of park factors..

Now if he signs an extension years earlier with his team. They will get a discount, probably...but it'll have nothing to do with park factors. It'll be about buying out Arb years and get some FA years..

I went at this wrong:

As the game evolves with this saber and advanced thinking.. We are talking something that is probably 8 years down the road. Unless he signs an extension. Surface numbers always will set a guy up in the Market. However, I guess what i should have said is:

An Elite Talent hitting the Market in his prime is going to get him boatloads. No matter if the Park in-flates or de-flates his surface numbers. GMs are pretty aware of park factors..

Now if he signs an extension years earlier with his team. They will get a discount, probably...but it'll have nothing to do with park factors. It'll be about buying out Arb years and get some FA years..

I think in Moncada's case there aren't arbitration years. I see your point on GMs not being dumb dumbs and know about park factors. I still think that those factors often inflate/deflate a player's perceived value.

I guess it's easier to think of recent pitcher examples than hitters. Phil Hughes for instance.

I went at this wrong:

I think in Moncada's case there aren't arbitration years. I see your point on GMs not being dumb dumbs and know about park factors. I still think that those factors often inflate/deflate a player's perceived value.

I guess it's easier to think of recent pitcher examples than hitters. Phil Hughes for instance.

I believe Moncada will still have his arb years, not positive on that though...

I went at this wrong:

Ooooh thought of another good one. Justin Morneau. Target Field is death for lefties. Was left for dead. 2 years 12 million bucks with the rockies. Got selected for the home run derby!

Home Run Derby was at Target Field. Guess who made money betting a Justin Morneau under in the HR Derby..... :)

I think Morneau at a neutral stadium is worth more than 6 million a year last year. Adam Laroche got twice that.

But can he pass a steroid test?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9lMaj0IcAEHY3R.jpg:large

I tried to post the picture but it wont let me for some reason.

A6FxQsJ.jpg
Im sure all those cuban players were on "meds" before coming over. Almost all of them look the same(soler, castillo, puig, moncada)tiny waist and huge boulder shoulders.

Tomas sure doesnt look like he was on the same program!